Animal and Plant Health Agency Employee Reviews

Veterinary Inspector (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 May 2018
Good place to work but probably only for a couple of years OR - for more senior people - it can probably be a job for life. A secure job and a very good salary compared to what you actually have to do for the money. The problem is that it can be dull/boring pretty soon after you've started.
Pros
safe, good conditions
Cons
dull, boring
Friendly , good work / home life balance
Laboratory manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire7 March 2018
A great place to work with a friendly bunch of people. Lots of investment in training and opportunities to develop skills. Lots of benefits including great annual leave allocation and working flexi time.
Managerial Sycophants
Problem Manager, Animal Health (Former Employee) –  Worcester9 January 2018
Senior management too preoccupied with introducing change (for change's sake). Over-staffed, and filled with 'jobs for life' people hanging on in there for retirement. Tendency for senior and middle management to bend over backwards/worship the floor the outsourced IT provider walks on.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Consultant culture
Excellant place to work
EO Finance (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex25 July 2017
Excellent place to work, team working ethos, open plan office, fabulous opportunities for learning and development, great leadership. What more can be said.
Pros
Flexible Working
A Friendly Place to Work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addlestone, Surrey1 July 2017
The managers were and made an effort to show me a wide variety of techniques and places of work. There was an overall positive atmosphere, I learnt loads of things such as safety precautions and chemical creation. Henceforth, it was an overall pleasure to work there.
Pros
Free coffee, long breaks and intresting activities.
Cons
Lack of freedom and there were broken radiators near the entrance.
insecure job with no progression
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire5 May 2017
they have been laying people off for a number of years and as a result there is no progression within the company. The company is being centralised so locations are becoming limited. There is good leave and flexi but again leave has been reduced for new starters and the redundancy policy and pension have been decreased in recent years also
Pros
flexi and leave
Cons
insecurity, constantly worsening conditions
Prevention and eradication of animal diseases and welfare of animals on farm
Administration Officer Civil Service (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, UK3 May 2017
Good team working environment, with a variety of roles. Must be adaptable and a quick learner. Build relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Provide help and guidance for farmers and the general public to adhere to legislation.
Pros
Flexible working time
Interesting work/variety. Continuous development of skills/knowledge
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 January 2017
I ensured the targets were monitored and asked for further information/reasons if there were an issues. Prioritising workloads. Checking ops manual for new instructions and ensuring they are implemented correctly. Create audit process for my work areas. Report writing and managing resources/development/coaching. Actioning escalated issues received from my team and providing reports to my line manager.

Throughout my service i've worked with different departments, developing my skills and knowledge. My entry grade was typist, promoted to PS/Admin and then to line manager.

Ensuring correct interpretation of policies/compliance - in a vastly changing environment could be difficult, but being aware that my involvement had helped/supported the industry/community was very rewarding. I also enjoyed having a varied role.
Pros
flexi, benefits, personal development/training
Cons
business change, centralisation
Defra Research Agency
Deputy Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haw18 July 2016
APHA is an executive Agency affiliated to Defra and is the research and surveillance arm with focus on Veterinary, Wildlife, Plant and Bee health.

I work for the Pathology Department, part of my day to day remit is overseeing the running of a Biological Freezer archive housing specimens which are kept for reference, research and test development.

Coming from an Arts education background hasn't stopped me from progressing in this Agency; the right person will begin to pick up the science. I have colleagues who have developed from no experience to being experts in their fields.

Every day has it's challenges, however having a good team of colleagues makes up for it. Working here now can be like a pressure pot because of the lack of resources that we have now; we need more capable staff.
Pros
Good leave package of 30 days.
Cons
Poor staff resources
Work environment relaxing
Assistant parasitologist (Current Employee) –  York, ENG16 December 2015
Currently, I am working in one proyect with foxes faeces. We do egg isolation, DNA extracción and PCR. They are laboratory techniques. The purpouse of this project is verify that a kind of parasite doesn't appear in those foxes, because United Kingdom is supposedly free of this parasite.
Pros
Flextime
Cons
Some days without work
where bureaucracy meets science based policy
Assistant Scientific Officer (Current Employee) –  Weybridge, ENG26 October 2014
My day in the lab begins very early as I find it most productive to carry out my set out work plan for the day, before having to juggle other workloads.
I have learned from experience that forward planning is key to ensuring the workday runs as foreseeably smoothly as possible thus also minimising any unnecessary stress.
Being able to talk openly with colleagues to alleviate any work pressure is a positive as liaising with management can at times be a bit of a diplomatic affair.