Animal and Plant Health Agency

Animal and Plant Health Agency Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
Friendly Work Environment
As the company was my first chance to get into the proper working world after completing my education. I think it was a really good company to work for, the work was engaging and the team I was working on definitely made me feel welcome.
Misleading Company
This is a call centre ! They mislead you into believing you are doing admin and it is solely answering the phone constantly. they put you on the switch board with no experience and let you lose answering calls and taking abuse. There is no room for progression and the management is shocking !
Fast paced and friendly atmosphere
I enjoyed my time at APHA. You do need to be ambitious and self motivating if you want to progress up the ladder. Unfortunately there is very little funding for training
Reproductive and fun work place
A great work place with fun team members. The management was at the top quality, and well organised by reputable managers. There were lots of help, advices and facilities available for staff. The canteen provided healthy and affordable food.
Best job I've ever had
Workplace culture is dedicated to the wellbeing of employees with a great work/life balance thanks to flexitime.

Pay is not so great and is about 5k behind what you would be paid in a private company.

Job security is very good, although very little opportunity to progress is presented - promotions mainly happen when someone leaves. Unusually, many of the younger staff on a low grade are more qualified than some of the older higher grade staff - the effects of which vary from department to department. It is mostly a shame as good minds don't get much room to flourish.

Lots of opportunities to learn new things and develop your skills and lots of training courses available.

Parking is free and there is an onsite gym with subsidised membership for employees. The café is a bit overpriced and has limited choices so you're better off making your own lunches.

A place full of advantages and disadvantages, the main thing is whether you're willing to sacrifice a bit of your expected salary for flexitime. Personally I enjoy working here.
Pros
free parking, nice people, flexible work hours and general emphasis of kindness
Cons
low salary, disappointing career prospects, the cafe is rubbish!!
Awful Avoid This Place Like The Plague
Do I really need to say more...? It is just the most awful place I have ever worked. The management consists of the failures who left school with nowhere else to go other than the civil service. They have climbed the greasy pole and are useless. The culture is based on bullying, wasting the tax payer's money with little regard for it and endlessly engaging in pointless activities designed to promote a nanny culture and over employment. A decent company would achieve the same with 25% less staff and do it in half the time. Just awful.
Pros
Better than the doel queue
Cons
Too many to list.
Fun workplace
I have worked with a team of 5 members and I have enhanced my soft skills like attention to detail, perfection, working independently from my team members.
Poor managment, understaffed.
Poorly managed. Unhealthy, unhappy working environment. Inept Team level management. Understaffed with no resolution. Hardest part of the job is meeting achievable targets as a result of poor management with no desire to help/aid workforce.
Lovely place to work - County Hall Worcs
I would love to have a permanent role there. Beautiful surroundings and a good workplace culture.Various departments over several floors. Canteen and next to Countryside Centre.
Pros
Parking Countryside surrounding
Cons
Traffic to get there
Great
Great place to work. Miss working there. Wish there were more local jobs. I was taught so much. APHA gave me the best start to my career. I would highly recommend APHA as a place to work.
Hours and work are ok, detached management and bad communication.
Limited progression unless you have vetinary or science degrees.
Management are one step removed from everything so getting them to understand what's happening is like pulling teeth.

Hours are ok as you still have time in the day to do stuff outside of work.

Wouldn't recommend if you have disabilities.

Communication in the company is bad and there is a horrific amount of cognitive dissonance.
Pros
Hours, animal work
Cons
Management, communication and some of the people.
Well organised
A typical day at work consisted of coming in at 9 and working in a laboratory testing for different animal diseases like foot and mouth disease in cows until 6 or 6:30 with 2 breaks in between.
I learnt how to test for different diseases in animals.

The management was good.

It was a friendly environment to be in.

The hardest part was using new equipment which i had never used before because I wasn't used to it. However I learnt quickly and was able to pick up on things as I went.

The most enjoyable part was testing for diseases by using large electron microscopes to see if any pathogens were in the substance.
Pros
long lunch break (40 minutes)
Cons
Long hours (9- 6:30)
Civil service
Interesting work over 32 years in this department but unfortunately with government budget cuts and policies this department no longer has my confidence in its abilities to function to the highest standards required.
Good place to work but probably only for a couple of years OR - for more senior people - it can probably be a job for life. A secure job and a very good salary compared to what you actually have to do for the money. The problem is that it can be dull/boring pretty soon after you've started.
Pros
safe, good conditions
Cons
dull, boring
Plenty of possibilities for this job.
I gained great work experience here and made some good friends.

I would recommend it to people to work there.

I would go back if I could.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Challenging but rewarding
Friendly , good work / home life balance
A great place to work with a friendly bunch of people. Lots of investment in training and opportunities to develop skills. Lots of benefits including great annual leave allocation and working flexi time.
Managerial Sycophants
Senior management too preoccupied with introducing change (for change's sake). Over-staffed, and filled with 'jobs for life' people hanging on in there for retirement. Tendency for senior and middle management to bend over backwards/worship the floor the outsourced IT provider walks on.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Consultant culture
Good work life balance with this employer
An excellent place to work, work life balance was a huge consideration for this employer. A busy laboratory which has enabled me to progress further in the veterinary/bacteriology field. My skills are predominantly in administrative/secretarial work which I was employed for 24 years within the APHA as an Administrative Officer. The most enjoyable part being part of a big team, with the ability to relate to people from all walks of life, work independently and with minimum supervision. My roles have enabled me to become a proficient teacher and leader and have given me the ability to remain calm in the hardest situations.
Pros
Flexi time system
Excellant place to work
Excellent place to work, team working ethos, open plan office, fabulous opportunities for learning and development, great leadership. What more can be said.
Pros
Flexible Working
Excellent Place to Work
Brilliant Place to work, great leadership, open plan office, diverse work areas. Team ethos is excellent. Diverse work force with lots of experience.
Pros
Flexible working
A Friendly Place to Work
The managers were and made an effort to show me a wide variety of techniques and places of work. There was an overall positive atmosphere, I learnt loads of things such as safety precautions and chemical creation. Henceforth, it was an overall pleasure to work there.
Pros
Free coffee, long breaks and intresting activities.
Cons
Lack of freedom and there were broken radiators near the entrance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Animal and Plant Health Agency. Our community is ready to answer.
Animal and Plant Health Agency Reviews by Location