Angling Direct Employee Reviews

Great colleagues who all care about the customer
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey16 July 2019
The store in which I worked was very busy yet I loved the challenges of delivering at pace for customers. The best part of the work is working with colleagues and the management always willing to help out as required.
Pros
flexible
Cons
working hours
Great colleagues, lousy management.
Sales/ Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Wroxham,11 June 2019
I’ve worked for AD twice in the last 20 years. Day to day work was excellent and good fun with some top blokes. The first time I didn’t want to leave but there was a younger, cheaper staff member joined after me so he got to keep the job he wasn’t doing and I was covering. Based on the second time, no matter how hard you work if you’re not one of their favourites (basically kill yourself to advance the company) you will find it a very difficult experience. At one point I was working two peoples jobs for the price of one and when they finally DID get me an assistant I was then told I was in competition with him for my position. That came straight from the wonderful CEO people have mentioned here. Due to stress I was signed off for a couple of weeks on the sick and after that I might as well have been a leper. If you can brown-nose with the best of them you will do well (for a bit) but for Gods sake don’t get ill. I showed nothing but loyalty and enthusiasm to this company and all it got me was sickness. The very sickness that apparently stopped me being any use to them. Avoid if you have any sense of self respect.
Pros
General staff and shop managers are great people mostly.
Cons
Everything else.
Amazing
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire13 April 2019
In two years of being with the company, I have endured some amazing times, with many more to come. The remarkable thing with AD is the CEO having an open door, you can actually go and speak to without a worry. For a PLC company to have that family feel where everyone feels valued and trusts the business and plans is brilliant, starting out as a small independent retailer on the broads to s multi national chain now. Having had time to evaluate my destiny. I can honestly say, i dedicate my time and future to AD, and its values. I have heard many of staff in businesses around the u.k refer to employees as "your just a number". This is far from the case at AD. Employee rewards come thick and fast from appreciation emails to a nice little touch in the pay packet. I can honestly say the team are out of this world from warehouse staff to store sales assistants and all are brilliant to work with.
Pros
Fastest growing fishing tackle retailer
productive fun
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk12 April 2019
good company with lot of overtime offered. good working hours and a lot of ways to progress withing the company. really nice to work with customers all day and good with flexibility on hours.
Pros
hours, pay, holidays, overtime
fast paced good managers
Packer (Current Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk9 April 2019
It's a good place to be at, there hasn't been a day where it has been a dull day for me. The people are nice to work with the managers are very friendly.
Pros
flexible shift to earn more
Cons
not really any cons
friendly colleagues
Picker/Packer/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk5 April 2019
very nice people to work with and always had something to do. Never had a dull moment. I would recommend to anyone if they wanted to work here. whenever i asked for help would always get it without any issues. learned a lot.
Pros
friendly and busy
Cons
tiring
Good workplace environment
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk2 April 2019
I worked for Angling Direct as a temp during a busy period. The managers were very friendly and showed me a great deal during the short period that I worked for them. I liked the fast pace of work and always worked hard to get our orders to our customers quickly but well packaged. I would like to join the team again in the future if possible.
Pros
learning about warehouse systems and stock
Cons
overlap of shift patterns
Fun and Friendly!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham Cross, Essex29 March 2019
Angling Direct was the first shop I worked in and loved all of it. Everyone was friendly and my manager was very helpful with any questions I had. Days can be tiring as being on your feet all day and it can get very busy. I learned a lot and could have progressed if it wasn't for moving. Great place to work!
Pros
good discount, enjoyed every day
Cons
tiring days especially on the weekend
Clueless But Paranoid Management
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk22 March 2019
Management can't stand the possibility of anyone knowing more than they do; unfortunately, since their knowledge hasn't been updated in at least a decade, and is very firmly rooted in the high street, bricks-and-mortar world, they spend a lot of their time attacking, undermining, and "managing out" anyone who actually could help move the business forward.

There's a lot of backstabbing, a culture of promoting people in order to prevent them leaving, rather than because they're actually competent, and a very closed-minded, "mates in it together" mentality.

The "new" Germany site is being stocked with discontinued items, and the management have no idea of German business practices.

Women in the business aren't taken seriously, and if you're not one of the carp boys, you're not taken seriously.

People's contributions aren't recognised, yet one single "this isn't quite as good as we'd expect" will be sent out on internal communications to the entire company.

Most members of staff don't buy their personal tackle from the company, even with the staff discount, and there's an expectation that you'll spend your off hours "promoting the company" on social media, etc - without being paid for it.

You'll be told at interview about this dynamic, forward-thinking company, then find yourself working for a "flog it off cheap, run a sale every week, whack in a bunch of junk from China, and hope for the best."
Pros
£50 high street voucher at Christmas is useful
Cons
Terrible management, no realistic vision for the future, run for the management, no one else.
If you love fishing don’t work for Angling Direct
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rayleigh, Essex3 March 2019
Typical work day from someone who works hard for little pay would include being watched and listened to from head office on CCTV 24/7. Upper management and HR work against you and will effectively manage you out of the business once they have used every ounce of your ‘doing this for the love of fishing and helping customers’ let’s be honest you won’t be doing it for the money or compliments from head office. Shocking to work for just don’t waste your time if you enjoy your fishing. Wish I could go into more detail of how rude, arrogant and general bully nature of certain so called upper management at head office
Pros
Customers
Cons
Rubbish pay, treatment from HR and head office shocking
Discriminates against older workers
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Head Office16 September 2018
When you start work here everything is positive but after a while you realise it is a company run by a few mates and if you don’t agree your days are numbered. Most alarmingly the company works on the basis keep The majority of customers happy, we will always lose some along the way.
It is clear management don’t really understand the internet business world and actually run marketing campaigns when the warehouse is in chaos! If you are over 50 they really don’t want you and certainly do not pay for experience. Their strategy is go for growth at any cost...
Pros
Paid on time
Cons
Long hours and expectations
angling direct
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rackheath1 March 2018
great company. I had to sort out the customer complaints and sort out returned items to see whether or not we can return the item and have it back up for sale or not.
Pros
fishing discount
Cons
long travel
friendly environment
Packer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk6 February 2018
packed for angling direct
sometimes was okay to work there but the management seemed to dislike me for some reason so was called out on many occasions and when i had to leave for a family emergency i was fired
Pros
made a friend
Cons
horrible management
Good place to work, nice people
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk28 February 2017
Good place to work but got made redundant. Nice co workers but long hours. If you like fishing good place to work and lots of fellow anglers to get on with.
warehouse operative
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Rackheath, Norfolk29 November 2016
management rude and judgemental think they are above everyone else because of position. long and boring days for poor money definitely suited to those who dont mind repetition
Pros
indoors
Cons
boring
Relaxed yet productive company
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norwich5 September 2014
The people make Angling Direct, its a great place to work when perhaps you are starting out in your career and of course if youre an angler then you will love being there for all the latest tackle.