Aneurin Bevan University Health Board Employee Reviews

Quite fair needs a lot more cash input to improve services buildings & resources
Referral & Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport8 November 2019
I was an employee for several years in different departments. Depending on department some were a better environment than others eg where long term staff ruled the roost & if your face fitted etc. If you could get into s friendly department thing's like holidays, work/ life balance were good. Equipment to do job always needed updating & fixing. Parking always a problem. Overall can be a good place to work.
Productive and constructive
Lead Nurse and Unit Manager - Gastroenterology (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport31 October 2019
My role is varied from management to clinical workload.

I work independently and I feel supported during my work.

Study is encouraged and where appropriate - funded
Poor Leadership
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport18 October 2019
Management lack knowledge and experience no relevant medical knowledge cancelling patients for statistics patients ignored staff lack training due to disinterest. The only concern is the penalty incurred due to the trust not fulfilling their obligation. The best thing forward is to remove managers and restructure.
Needs a overhaul
District nurse manager (Former Employee) –  South wales23 September 2019
Dated employer with none of the benefits you would expect from a modern health service provider. Limited support from senior management and stressful, unhealthy working conditions. Excellent skilled staff but non viable plans to deliver under resourced services.
Awful
Bank Healthcare Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport & Pontypool10 September 2019
Jobs if your face fits and if it doesn't it will be made to be uncomfortable. Made worse by lack of experience of ward staff and unprofessional nature of Senior management and consultants that are totally risk averse and unable to make decisions.
Blame culture post incidents and no lessons learned as they're always right. Alienation of families a frequent occurrence and no care at all for client group. Absolutely shocking standard of care, I would not put my animal in Kennels akin to the inpatient unit which is staffed by little Hitlers that think they know it all. God help our vulnerable!!
Very Supportive Environment
Mental Health Specialty Core Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hengoed, Caerphilly26 August 2019
A lot of support available working in the health board.
Sometimes, understaffing could have been a problem, as can be seen in the NHS in general.
Some of the hospitals are in small towns, and life can be boring there. But bigger cities like Cardiff and Newport are nearby. Overall a good place to work in.
pro active workplace
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newport14 July 2019
pro active work environment that empowers staff to progress professionally whenever opportunities arise.
The team work very well together and all members are focussed on providing high quality care.
I enjoy contact with patients and families ensuring they receive high standards of care as required.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long days
Ok to work for
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport3 July 2019
Far too many overpaid denanding managers and not enough proper workers eg nurses, admin etc. Procurement/purchasing systems leave a lot to be desired.
Fulfilling
Porter (Former Employee) –  Newport30 June 2019
Working in the nhs for15 years was challenging but fulfilling. The downside is no social life because of the hours. The management from the top down to supervisors never offer support in any aspect whether it be a family problem or work problem . You are always meant to feel that any problems you have in the workplace are entirely your fault whether it be a disagreement with a nurse . Doctor or supervisor. Management are only concerned when your problem impacts the running of their department. They're favourite saying is, you will be monitored. When you are called to see a manager you are on the defensive before you even meet them . They are narcissistic bullies , power mad, and totally unsupportive, never meet a manager or supervisor without a union rep, porters are considered by managers to be not worthy of support because they want u gone because they can replace a porter with agency staff in an instant, zero hours saves money, makes the manager look competent, keep away from being a porter, but saying all that you can go from porter to manager in a short space of time if you don't rock the boat
Pros
Great individual teams
Cons
Management useless
Great value base
Health Liaison Nurse (Learning Disabilities) (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran22 June 2019
A wonderful example of NHS at it's finest. Great employer who looks after it's employees. Learned how to set up a new service and make a success of it.
Pros
Working with people with learning disabilities
Cons
nasty hostile managers, cliquey, stressful
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly18 May 2019
managers and staff nasty towards new people, not welcoming at all. I’ve been waiting my ID badge for almost 4 months, ridiculous!!! no other way to prove you’re staff so no discount in the canteen, plus I always have to wait for people to let me in and out, they are creating this stressful environment for staff.. and then they tell you they care about your well being.. you couldn’t make it up! Lots of students doing their placement, doing majority of the work while staff just sit around gossiping, and disappearing to have a smoke every half hour.
Pros
can’t think of any
Cons
fellow staff, HR useless, impossible to obtain an ID badge
Wasn't there five minutes
Community Health Care Support Worker band 3 (Former Employee) –  Newport5 May 2019
I worked in the community for complex.health care abuhb in pontpool area and felt there wasn't enough support and management was non existent.
Basically left to your own devices.
Chucked in at the deep end left on your own to care for patients with very complex health care needs. I felt too nervous to continue working like that . Also I'd drive for miles door to door and wouldnt get my milage paid back for months . I was constantly in my.overdraft due to this.
Staff were clicky and the car runs were managed terribly communication was awful .I'd turn up to people s houses to be told the patient had passed away over a few days ago sometimes. It was embarrassing and not nice or professional and no disregard for the family either . I wouldn't work for abuhb again
Pros
Cons
The list is endless
Nursing
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  south wales8 October 2018
Not as it used to be, too much emphasis on paperwork which yes is important but so are the patients. not enough staff to be able to run a busy elective ward safely
Very interesting
Clinical Trial Administrator/Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport5 October 2018
Enjoyed Trial Administrator role working within stroke. I have to be highly efficient and organised. Using many different systems and databases. Highly confidential data.
A good learning environment, good job satisfaction
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Current Employee) –  South Wales9 July 2018
Since working with ABUHB, I have been able to update my nursing knowledge, gain valuable experience and enjoyed a flexible working practice. It has been rewarding and enlightening. Friendly people to work with. Being a Bank Nurse I can work when I want to but typically I worked about 24-36 hours per week and I was able to choose which days, this was beneficial to me at the time.
Pros
Flexible working, pension
Cons
Chasing training updates, pay was not the best
Great Organisation
Recruitment Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cwmbran Town22 February 2018
Fantastic organisation to work for and was really lucky to work under great management at the Resource Bank. Would happily go back there to work and am only leaving to be closer to family and further pursue my career
HCSW (Current Employee) –  Pont-y-pŵl, Torfaen19 February 2018
Good company to work for , however I fancy a change outside of the NHS , good salary and annual leave benifits - good HR system and staff well being service
Not a great company
Administration Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire9 February 2018
Started off great but when illness started the staff where unbearable to work with and not understanding of my illness.
Company benefits where great but sickness policy needs an overhaul.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Staff
Great Place to Work
Team Secretary (Current Employee) –  Newport29 August 2017
I enjoy working for Aneurin Bevan Health Board and the people are lovely to work with. A typical day at work is very busy and varied. I have learned a lot of admin skills whilst working here.
Pros
Nice people, flexible hours
Cons
Promotion is not easy
Job for life
Booking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport28 April 2017
The people are what makes the department. The hardest part of any job is the feeling you are not appreciated and valued This couldn't be more wrong.