Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
It’s hard and busy, I need to work at a fast pace and also work good under pressure which you need to do in that job role. The hardest part is sometimes not knowing some of the test marks but I can easily ask someone who is near. Management is quite relaxed. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what your doing is a good and important part of the hospital
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Poor childcare understanding
I have enjoyed working forABUHB while being in the bank. There has been lots of shifts available
The staff working at the resource bank are also very helpful
Don’t work in nevill hall hospital or the royal gwent as the managers are vile and cruel. I was told no one liked me and to leave despite having more experience and qualifications than the rest of the office dolls. You try and find a manager (idiot) that garners any respect I have a list of cruel vile women in nevill hall hospital
Pros
Really enjoyed working as part of a proactive team and gaining experience all over the hospital. It can be a fast paced environment some times but there is usually enough staff members to help you out.
Pros
Discount on meals, flexible working hours, NHS discounts, progression at different levels
Cons
Weekend working (but you get the time back)
Horrible hospital to work in and I've worked in several through agency work etc. I was more respected as agency staff Cliquey, everyone knows everyone outside work as they've all grown up/looked after etc each other for years, so don't exactly like you've worked anywhere else. if you have any experience, but strangely enough don't know where anything is, they seem to dislike you even more for bothering them. I had plenty of experience elsewhere and was respected there. Cant raise issues as the management condone the bullying atmosphere
Lack of support from senior members of staff. General manager for primary care can only be described as in it for herself and is quite happy to step on anyone’s head to get where she needs to be. Lack of compassion and understanding for clinical and non clinical members of staff.
I was an employee for several years in different departments. Depending on department some were a better environment than others eg where long term staff ruled the roost & if your face fitted etc. If you could get into s friendly department thing's like holidays, work/ life balance were good. Equipment to do job always needed updating & fixing. Parking always a problem. Overall can be a good place to work.
My role is varied from management to clinical workload.

I work independently and I feel supported during my work.

Study is encouraged and where appropriate - funded
Management lack knowledge and experience no relevant medical knowledge cancelling patients for statistics patients ignored staff lack training due to disinterest. The only concern is the penalty incurred due to the trust not fulfilling their obligation. The best thing forward is to remove managers and restructure.
Dated employer with none of the benefits you would expect from a modern health service provider. Limited support from senior management and stressful, unhealthy working conditions. Excellent skilled staff but non viable plans to deliver under resourced services.
Jobs if your face fits and if it doesn't it will be made to be uncomfortable. Made worse by lack of experience of ward staff and unprofessional nature of Senior management and consultants that are totally risk averse and unable to make decisions.
Blame culture post incidents and no lessons learned as they're always right. Alienation of families a frequent occurrence and no care at all for client group. Absolutely shocking standard of care, I would not put my animal in Kennels akin to the inpatient unit which is staffed by little Hitlers that think they know it all. God help our vulnerable!!
A lot of support available working in the health board.
Sometimes, understaffing could have been a problem, as can be seen in the NHS in general.

Some of the hospitals are in small towns, and life can be boring there. But bigger cities like Cardiff and Newport are nearby. Overall a good place to work in.
pro active work environment that empowers staff to progress professionally whenever opportunities arise.
The team work very well together and all members are focussed on providing high quality care.

I enjoy contact with patients and families ensuring they receive high standards of care as required.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long days
Far too many overpaid denanding managers and not enough proper workers eg nurses, admin etc. Procurement/purchasing systems leave a lot to be desired.
Working in the nhs for15 years was challenging but fulfilling. The downside is no social life because of the hours. The management from the top down to supervisors never offer support in any aspect whether it be a family problem or work problem . You are always meant to feel that any problems you have in the workplace are entirely your fault whether it be a disagreement with a nurse . Doctor or supervisor. Management are only concerned when your problem impacts the running of their department. They're favourite saying is, you will be monitored. When you are called to see a manager you are on the defensive before you even meet them . They are narcissistic bullies , power mad, and totally unsupportive, never meet a manager or supervisor without a union rep, porters are considered by managers to be not worthy of support because they want u gone because they can replace a porter with agency staff in an instant, zero hours saves money, makes the manager look competent, keep away from being a porter, but saying all that you can go from porter to manager in a short space of time if you don't rock the boat
Pros
Great individual teams
Cons
Management useless
A wonderful example of NHS at it's finest. Great employer who looks after it's employees. Learned how to set up a new service and make a success of it.
Pros
Working with people with learning disabilities
Cons
managers and staff nasty towards new people, not welcoming at all. I’ve been waiting my ID badge for almost 4 months, ridiculous!!! no other way to prove you’re staff so no discount in the canteen, plus I always have to wait for people to let me in and out, they are creating this stressful environment for staff.. and then they tell you they care about your well being.. you couldn’t make it up! Lots of students doing their placement, doing majority of the work while staff just sit around gossiping, and disappearing to have a smoke every half hour.
Pros
can’t think of any
Cons
fellow staff, HR useless, impossible to obtain an ID badge
I worked in the community for complex.health care abuhb in pontpool area and felt there wasn't enough support and management was non existent.
Basically left to your own devices.

Chucked in at the deep end left on your own to care for patients with very complex health care needs. I felt too nervous to continue working like that . Also I'd drive for miles door to door and wouldnt get my milage paid back for months . I was constantly in my.overdraft due to this.

Staff were clicky and the car runs were managed terribly communication was awful .I'd turn up to people s houses to be told the patient had passed away over a few days ago sometimes. It was embarrassing and not nice or professional and no disregard for the family either . I wouldn't work for abuhb again
Pros
Cons
The list is endless
Not as it used to be, too much emphasis on paperwork which yes is important but so are the patients. not enough staff to be able to run a busy elective ward safely
Cons
Enjoyed Trial Administrator role working within stroke. I have to be highly efficient and organised. Using many different systems and databases. Highly confidential data.
Since working with ABUHB, I have been able to update my nursing knowledge, gain valuable experience and enjoyed a flexible working practice. It has been rewarding and enlightening. Friendly people to work with. Being a Bank Nurse I can work when I want to but typically I worked about 24-36 hours per week and I was able to choose which days, this was beneficial to me at the time.
Pros
Flexible working, pension
Cons
Chasing training updates, pay was not the best