ANCHOR TRUST Employee Reviews

Bad managment, no HR support
Head Chef and Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire14 April 2018
No managment support at all, unsupportive and difficult care staff, ridiculous workload, no maintenance support, difficult to use and impracticle computer system. terrible food suppliers, You think you are managing kitchen staff but in reality they do what they want, they rewrite rotas and take holidays when they want without any confirmation from kitchen manager, and if you challenge the kitchen assistants you find your self getting accused of bullying, They totally refuse to support the chef on duty, and chefs are pushed to breaking point.
Pros
Cons
no support
great company to work for, future thinking, proactive in elderly care
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire13 April 2018
Anchor trust offers a wide range of job opportunities and cares for the wellbeing of its staff. Very competitive pay scales. Lots of training provided. Access to lots of interesting and fun activities across the company.
Pros
Happy Teams, Great Pay Rates
Cons
long hours on full time but customers benefit from minimal staff changovers
Anchor dont care about the staff
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Bishopstoke, Hampshire5 April 2018
not sure your job will be safe alot of staff laid off now i have work split shifts every day on my own without break.

everyone who work here is looking for another job to escape so dont come and work here you will want to leave.

lots of backstabbing and lots of staff get bullied.

new supervisors dont give any support dont know what theyre doing they dont have any proper skills.

horrible atmosphere no progression and you sometime have to work without a break. and you cant drink the water here it is dangerous to drink.

too many cutbacks and not enough staff so you have horrible time on your shift.

no car parking for my car so i have to find another job so i can park my car.
Pros
dirty water
Cons
cant park my car
Terrible treatment
Staff (Current Employee) –  Bishopstoke, Hampshire30 March 2018
I worked here for nearly 2 years and things were brilliant until recently. Sadly some good staff had to leave through redundancies. Treatment was unforgivable to those being forced to leave, Anchor should be publicly shamed in the media for how they have treated the staff. Staff kept in dark about problems and only given a couple of days notice to leave it’s disgusting. Don’t rely on a lifetime career here they cannot afford to pay the staff.
Pros
Used to be great
Cons
They are not making enough money to pay staff
Good residents
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Arneway Street29 March 2018
Good staff, I worked there for 5 years and still remain there full time . love the residents,I get along with my colleges.Staff are friendly , safe and secure environment
Good pay and nice staff
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Godstone, Surrey25 March 2018
It had a very nice atmosphere with nice staff and residents. The company was quite good the pay was extremely good, however didn't get the correct training I needed so was limited
Pros
Free lunches
Stay Clear
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bishopstoke, Hampshire24 March 2018
This was supposed to be the Flagship property for Anchor but its turned out to be a nightmare.Its only been open 2 years, the care home has already seen 4 managers come and go and the main village doesn’t seem to be selling any properties.
There is absolutely no parking for staff, this place is supposed to house nearly 400 people and it only has about 10 visitor parking spaces which staff can’t use, i don’t understand how its even legal not to have any parking. The main purpose of the company is to provide care, but the staff can’t drive to get here ! You need to get a bus then walk a half hour to get here. Not very safe if you work late shifts.
There is a tiny staff room with no windows, which isn’t very relaxing after your long walk to work. Loads of staff just been made redundant and those left behind cannot cope and feel desperate to leave. All the good managers gone and theyve been replaced with lower paid underqualified managers. Some of the managers in tight cliques which causes a lack of teamwork, those exclused do the hard work with very little support.
Take my advice and find somewhere else to work, unless you enjoy a long hike to work.
Pros
Cons
Lots of Redundancies
good hourly rate
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Sussex22 March 2018
staff arrived after 2015 do not get paide extra pay for bank holidays and boxing day which is unfair as old staff get this paide.

management are ok but could be improved within the home to he smooth running of the home.

could be given better handovers or even being involved in handover.

home is nice
residents are lovley.

lots activities going on within the home. treated well with selection of menus and drinks and snacks to choose from.
like idea of postman delivering to each flat.

work short shifts shame don't do long days

training for company only get paide shift not the traveling time
Pros
close to where live
Cons
no extra bank holiday, boxing pay
Horrible place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  North East22 March 2018
I work in a residential care home it was a horrible place to work I will admit when I started it was lovely and people couldn’t have been much nicer but once settled in people were horrid management in the home was awful no rules or regulations were kept mistakes were all getting swept under the carpet management covered there own backs time and time again wrong medicines getting given out and management covering them up
They have no time managmemt and very unorganised within the home
I for one would not but one of my loved ones into any anchor carehome
They are a disgrace of a company
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Awful management always covering there mistakes up
Shamefully bad
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire19 March 2018
I worked at dearne hall in Rotherham for 5 and a half years as chef/ manager, it was the best job I have ever had until around a year ago anchor took over from ideal care homes.
The home went from something that was a great place to live and work to something awful. I don't feel that the ethics of this company are right in respect to care for the elderly. Don't get me wrong the carers there are fantastic and REALLY care but that comes from ideal care and not anchor. Me as chef had no time to do the things I needed to for my residents as the pressure put on the kitchen was horrendous, even after highlighting this to management nothing was done, no one listens !!! If your considering a career with them go in with your eyes wide open as this is NOT a good company to work for and needs a full overview of their management and approach to care. I really hope something gets done to relieve the stress on the staff as 90% of them I have spoken to want to leave. Please anchor take a step back and 're evaluate your priorities then you might get staff that actually want to come and work for you and stay
Pros
Met some great carers
Cons
The rest
poor place to work
Manager(sheltered accomodation) (Former Employee) –  North East13 March 2018
appalling training. bad wages, no decent benefits, useless backupsystems., computor systems are bad and not user friendly, trying to get overtime is bad and the company expects you to work addit hours for nothing,lieu time is preferred but then its impossible to take
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Horrendous experience.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  West Midlands12 March 2018
As a dedicated and loyal worker, I was looking forward to a long career with Anchor. Unfortunately, all the good people leave because they get put upon and the bullies move in. Senior management don't care if you are one of the good ones-you are just a commodity. As for the way I was treated when I left, well, I've never experienced anything like the arrogance and bullying I received, especially from one of the district manager s that I had only met twice briefly. There is NO support for staff. I only wish I could print what I really wanted to tell you. You would be appalled. Apply elsewhere, trust me.
Cons
Everythung
No career progression
Location manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands12 March 2018
Worked as a Scheme Manager for 2 years. My team were friendly and supportive but there is no room for growth. There are shadowing and training opps but these are no where near where some of the locations are. I am now seeking alternative employment where there really is progression... not just for staff in the head office in Bradford.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
No progession
Horrendous. Stay clear!
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Rotherham8 March 2018
I can not even stress enough what an awful company it is to work for. Management are absolutely abysmal, they expect you to do the work of two people every shift. They expect you to cover shifts at a minutes notice (14+ hours) and get obviously angry at you if you say no (screaming in my face at one time!) management also provide very little suppprt for new starters, in fact my manager barely spoke to me at all in the time I worked at Clifton meadows in Rotherham. You get absolutely no thanks for all the work you do, unless of course you are a managers favourite, then you can do whatever you want! It probably could be an okay place to work, as the care staff are lovely but it’s a shame the management are going to run the place into the ground because they have no idea what they are doing and they make staff feel very uncomfortable. Do yourself a favour and apply elsewhere!
Pros
Nice care staff, short shifts
Cons
Awful management
Great Company
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  St Leonards-on-Sea4 March 2018
Shifts are typically 7-2 or 2-9 for day care staff, typically we have enough staff and everyone usually pulls together to help out if not. Friendly, helpful, hardworking, reliable and genuine staff! No “clicky gangs”
Beautiful purpose built home, with AMAZING sea views! Management are OK.
Activities are well planned and thought out. We have a lovely “shop” within our home so customers are able to buy their own essentials still. This is a very good company to work for “indeed”.
Many benefits such as private healthcare, cycle to work scheme and good rates of pay compared to other care homes. Work load not too stressful, a great place to work
Pros
Nice Uniform, Beautiful Home & Views
Cons
Paying for food on shift.
Great company full of opportunity
HR (Current Employee) –  London23 February 2018
Been with anchor for just over 8 months now and have enjoyed my time thoroughly. Great teamwork which is enforced by great management.

I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Great management
Activities co-ordinator
Activities Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  West Molesey, Surrey7 February 2018
You are expected to do a managers job on very little money and very little help from management. I was expected to do 2 people’s work where other anchor care homes had 2 activity coordinators with less residents. No training given at all, you are just expected to start with no guidance.

Carers are too busy to help bring residents to where the activity is and as the place is so big it takes a long time to bring 1 or 2 residents yourself. You are then blamed for not bringing enough residents to an activity and residents are left waiting while you go to bring other residents there. You are also blamed for not including all residents in activities when you go to give 1:1 manicure etc on a bed bound resident. You can’t win with this job and it is a lot more stress than it is worth.
19 February 2018

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Anchor. We are dedicated on ensuring that employees are given the best support throughout their employment. If you would like to tell me more about your experience then please do not hesitate to get in contact with me directly at: Adam.Peck@Anchor.org.uk.

Fantastic ❤️
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire31 January 2018
Love my job no matter what never had a better manager. Wouldn’t give it up for the world manager is the best ever. Thanks to her and the awesome team we have ❤️❤️😍
Pros
Good pay, free lunch, staff and residents
Cons
N/a
Atmosphere isnt friendly to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire27 January 2018
I dont find this place good to work at very unfriendly staff towards each other.They are ok to the residents but not nice to each other.Wouldnt recommend anybody to work there.
Pros
Nice to residents
Cons
Unfriendly to staff

Lovely clients
Night Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon23 January 2018
I worked in Selkirk house in Plymouth, I was contracted for 25 hours a week, despite huge numbers of vacancies they would not give me a full time contract nor anyone else.
I would often be called to do over time, things that annoyed me was a shift being short staffed and expected to do everything I often felt like a cleaner.
The management were unkind and unsupportive and I decided to leave after a argument with the manager who had a 'I don't care attitude'
Pros
Amazing residents, modern decor
Cons
Not enough contracted hours, poor management, tom much cleaning
19 February 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ANCHOR TRUST. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8