Amnesty International Employee Reviews

Dedicated and Hardworking
Intern (Current Employee) –  London30 January 2018
Soon after finishing my masters of human rights degree, I began work in the research department (specifically the GTI programme) of the International Secretariat. As an intern in this department, I felt valued and part of the team and was given critical research work on the range of the investigations that the team was conducting.

I was paid enough to live in London (just about), which is great/unusual for an internship, and found it a friendly, driven and dedicated environment to work in. The application process was lengthy and competitive, involving multiple stages, however this made me appreciate the job more upon getting it.

My only complaint (and this is not specific to Amnesty) is that the contract was short term - 6 months - meaning relative job insecurity. While as intern you have the ability to apply for internal roles, it is down to how your luck falls as to whether or not a position becomes available for which you can apply/move in to.

Nevertheless, with such an amazing position and organisation on the CV it shouldn't be too difficult to find work after your time there.
Pros
Dedicated, hard working, learning curve, surrounded by the best, ability to speak up and take the initiative, generous paid leave, good working hours/work-life balance
Cons
Institutional, bureaucratic
Welcoming & passionate
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 December 2017
Office management were a friendly and supportive team, did feel a little under appreciated from the rest of the building.

Creative Art Team had a lot of independence & energy
Workshops for visiting youth & university groups.

How multi faceted a large charity is & how the departments liaise with each other.

Attending AGM, designing & creating the stage banners celebrating 60yrs of Human Rights Directive. Designing, creating & staging protest of Human Rights attended by whole AGM.
Pros
Proactive & level of autonomy with decisions
Cons
voluntary
Responsible and higly important
administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brussel-Hoofdstad14 November 2017
Preparing Reports on specific countries human right records based on that reliable facts and records of the country facts Lobbing at EU Establishment.
Pros
fact finding, researching
Cons
creating awerness, eventually freedom, respect Human Dignity
Fun but hard job
Promoter (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Roma, Lazio18 October 2017
Interact with people was the first thing to learn while i've worked for Amnesty International as a promoter. I've learnt not to give up in front of rudeness and indifference, and to focus my attention on the target the company gave us.
Exciting to meet new people
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 September 2017
usually wokr from 10-6 and i get to meet a lot of new people and travel to new places.

It's a good way to network and make connections.

Train tickets are paid for all travel requirements, especially for events in different cities
Enjoyable
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 September 2017
The office is a friendly and open place to work with great colleagues. There are management issues and some need to react quicker to issues but overall and enjoyable workplace.
Fun and diverse workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London29 July 2017
Really good. Get very included as a volunteer here. Loved the people, ethos and values of the workplace. Love the charity and what it stands for. Highly recommended.
Pros
Free lunches, expenses covered
Cons
No cons
Articles writer
Volunteer Legal Researcher, Scotland (Former Employee) –  Scotland, UK6 June 2017
Pro-Bono writer on specific articles of interest within the legal domain.

Able to work from home and obtained significant research skills.

Very welcoming organisation.
Fun and challening work environment
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 April 2017
Working as a Street Fundraiser for Amnesty International was a wonderful experience and one that I will cherish for a long time. What I learnt while I was there was how to interact respectfully and engagingly with the public, as well as how to work together with others in order to make a difference in the lives of others, in that I was able to discuss human rights and stress their importance on a daily basis at work. As part of a team, I found it easy to rely on my colleagues and to ensure that they could rely on myself in return. It was often a united and comfortable working environment in which I enjoyed working with others.

On a typical day at work, I would meet and engage with a vast array of people, often making each day fun and unpredictable. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that came from knowing that I was able to help Amnesty International make a difference by informing others of the aid that they could provide for human rights campaigners by becoming a member of this organisation.
Work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London31 March 2017
Interesting to get a taste of the world's first and largest human rights organisation.

Very friendly and motivated staff. A great experience. Recommended.
Fun and rewarding pro bono work
Student Director (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 February 2017
The job entails the following responsibilities:
• Organise talks with prominent speakers
• Manage monthly booths promoting current Amnesty International campaigns
• Write blog posts on the BPP Human Rights blog
fun workplace
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham25 October 2016
Great organistation which i continue to support the organisation and the work they do the only con to this job is its target based and depending on how you perform depends on your job
Pros
good peoples
Cons
target based
Volunteer
Voluntary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London24 September 2016
Working in the Strategy and Evaluation team I gathered an understanding of the goals and roles of each member when in the process of an international project. I encountered previous and present projects that the gender and sexuality team have organised and discovered the issues and problems that these projects face in different cultural and conflict areas.
Great organisation that does important work
Press Officer (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2016
AI is a critically important organisation, and now more than ever as abuses of human rights become widespread. AI is a great place to work but work life balance is hard to maintain. The organisation was having serious industrial relations issues culminating in strikes and protests. Management culture was problematic when I worked there but the people especially the research teams were devoted and selfless. I gained so much by working here and have no hesitation in recommending AI, notwithstanding the issues I highlighted.
Pros
Dedicated professional staff
Cons
nothing
Most enjoyable part of the job
Street Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  London29 November 2015
Being out of your comfort zone and pushing yourself. Learning numerous different skills in terms of communication and pitching. Having to adapt your methods constantly due to the huge variety of people you approach.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Travelling, Weather
It was fun to work here
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brighton4 October 2015
I enjoyed serving customers at the till and ordering the books and categorising them was fulfilling. I didnt like culling old books but it had to be done.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
No pay, book culling.
great opportunity
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  london23 November 2014
It was an amazing opportunity to get involve in the human rights field. I was able to work within an international team under high pressure in order to deliver the best quality outputs.
bénévole
Libraire bénévole à Hammersmith Londres UK (Former Employee) –  London, ENG8 September 2014
travaillé avec Amnesty international était une expérience fructueuse,très enrichissante qui m'a permis de connaitre tout un nouveau domaine dans le benevola .
Wonderful place to work
Bookshop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG17 August 2014
I have been volunteering there for a while now, its wonderful place to be,a book lover dream.
Interesting and rewarding
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Belfast7 January 2013
A great way to keep informed and discuss important issues. Speaking, presenting, organising information.