Amnesty International

Amnesty International Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
One of the best organizations for defenders of human rights.

it's a very nice and friendly environment, a person will learn how to work in a team, and get a lot of experience in campaigning.
Bureaucratic and Slow
A great history and legacy, but has lost some of its perspective and sense of mission. Too much time is consumed with internal politics and turf issues than the need to engage with the wider world and context of the work. A great movement with incredible potential that is not firing on all cylinders.
Fulfilling and fun place to volunteer
The bookshop is a fun and fulfilling place to work, with nice people in the team and at management level.
You have the chance to learn and practice all necesary skills in a bookshop, from preparing the books to interacting with clients and operating the till.
Fun to voulunteer at.
Hard to get spots sometimes but very nice if you can. All very nice people to hang around with and they make the day go by fast. Free food is also very nice and there's a good variety of food
Pros
Free lunch / travel
Cons
Long hours, sometimes travel is a pain.
Interesting place to work
Only completed a week of work experience here but it was very interesting and rewarding. Got to do research on interesting topics and create a display board, and upload something onto the website.
Dedicated and Hardworking
Soon after finishing my masters of human rights degree, I began work in the research department (specifically the GTI programme) of the International Secretariat. As an intern in this department, I felt valued and part of the team and was given critical research work on the range of the investigations that the team was conducting.

I was paid enough to live in London (just about), which is great/unusual for an internship, and found it a friendly, driven and dedicated environment to work in. The application process was lengthy and competitive, involving multiple stages, however this made me appreciate the job more upon getting it.

My only complaint (and this is not specific to Amnesty) is that the contract was short term - 6 months - meaning relative job insecurity. While as intern you have the ability to apply for internal roles, it is down to how your luck falls as to whether or not a position becomes available for which you can apply/move in to.

Nevertheless, with such an amazing position and organisation on the CV it shouldn't be too difficult to find work after your time there.
Pros
Dedicated, hard working, learning curve, surrounded by the best, ability to speak up and take the initiative, generous paid leave, good working hours/work-life balance
Cons
Institutional, bureaucratic
Welcoming & passionate
Office management were a friendly and supportive team, did feel a little under appreciated from the rest of the building.

Creative Art Team had a lot of independence & energy

Workshops for visiting youth & university groups.

How multi faceted a large charity is & how the departments liaise with each other.

Attending AGM, designing & creating the stage banners celebrating 60yrs of Human Rights Directive. Designing, creating & staging protest of Human Rights attended by whole AGM.
Pros
Proactive & level of autonomy with decisions
Cons
voluntary
Exciting to meet new people
usually wokr from 10-6 and i get to meet a lot of new people and travel to new places.

It's a good way to network and make connections.

Train tickets are paid for all travel requirements, especially for events in different cities
Enjoyable
The office is a friendly and open place to work with great colleagues. There are management issues and some need to react quicker to issues but overall and enjoyable workplace.
Fun and diverse workplace
Really good. Get very included as a volunteer here. Loved the people, ethos and values of the workplace. Love the charity and what it stands for. Highly recommended.
Pros
Free lunches, expenses covered
Cons
No cons
Articles writer
Pro-Bono writer on specific articles of interest within the legal domain.

Able to work from home and obtained significant research skills.

Very welcoming organisation.
Fun and challening work environment
Working as a Street Fundraiser for Amnesty International was a wonderful experience and one that I will cherish for a long time. What I learnt while I was there was how to interact respectfully and engagingly with the public, as well as how to work together with others in order to make a difference in the lives of others, in that I was able to discuss human rights and stress their importance on a daily basis at work. As part of a team, I found it easy to rely on my colleagues and to ensure that they could rely on myself in return. It was often a united and comfortable working environment in which I enjoyed working with others.

On a typical day at work, I would meet and engage with a vast array of people, often making each day fun and unpredictable. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that came from knowing that I was able to help Amnesty International make a difference by informing others of the aid that they could provide for human rights campaigners by becoming a member of this organisation.
Work experience
Interesting to get a taste of the world's first and largest human rights organisation.

Very friendly and motivated staff. A great experience. Recommended.
Fun and rewarding pro bono work
The job entails the following responsibilities:
• Organise talks with prominent speakers

• Manage monthly booths promoting current Amnesty International campaigns

• Write blog posts on the BPP Human Rights blog
fun workplace
Great organistation which i continue to support the organisation and the work they do the only con to this job is its target based and depending on how you perform depends on your job
Pros
good peoples
Cons
target based
Volunteer
Working in the Strategy and Evaluation team I gathered an understanding of the goals and roles of each member when in the process of an international project. I encountered previous and present projects that the gender and sexuality team have organised and discovered the issues and problems that these projects face in different cultural and conflict areas.
Great organisation that does important work
AI is a critically important organisation, and now more than ever as abuses of human rights become widespread. AI is a great place to work but work life balance is hard to maintain. The organisation was having serious industrial relations issues culminating in strikes and protests. Management culture was problematic when I worked there but the people especially the research teams were devoted and selfless. I gained so much by working here and have no hesitation in recommending AI, notwithstanding the issues I highlighted.
Pros
Dedicated professional staff
Cons
nothing
Most enjoyable part of the job
Being out of your comfort zone and pushing yourself. Learning numerous different skills in terms of communication and pitching. Having to adapt your methods constantly due to the huge variety of people you approach.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Travelling, Weather
It was fun to work here
I enjoyed serving customers at the till and ordering the books and categorising them was fulfilling. I didnt like culling old books but it had to be done.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
No pay, book culling.
great opportunity
It was an amazing opportunity to get involve in the human rights field. I was able to work within an international team under high pressure in order to deliver the best quality outputs.
bénévole
travaillé avec Amnesty international était une expérience fructueuse,très enrichissante qui m'a permis de connaitre tout un nouveau domaine dans le benevola .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amnesty International. Our community is ready to answer.
Amnesty International Reviews by Location