Amey Plc Employee Reviews

Liers and sacrifice your safety for hours
Highway Maintenance foreman (Former Employee) –  Sandwich/ faced sham/ ashford5 October 2018
I worked for amey carrying out highway repairs and gritting. They would preach health and safety until you put it in to practice and then you would be threatened with discipline action. Gritting hours was all over the place and no set stand down hours so could work 8 hours in the day then grit for 3 hours and then back in at 4 in the morning to grit and then work again. The management moved the goal post to suit there needs and would use disciplinary action as a threat tho try to intimidate people to do jobs and work unsafe. Some depot managers had no people skills and would even say things that was very close to the mark about family and flirting with client and staff constantly. Very unprofessional company and no idea how to talk to people. The staff promise the world and then change it once the job is done. Never any overtime like I was told and if you done gritting there was all talk of what your get and bonus etc and never got anything
Pros
Cons
Loads
Fun workplace
Customer Service- Helpdesk Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool4 October 2018
really enjoyed my time working for this company , met many friends who still in contact with, would definitely recommend people to work here. Feels like you are part of a family there.
Pros
young vibrant atmosphere
Cons
working weekends
Worst Place I’ve ever worked - Avoid!
Smart Meter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow23 September 2018
Avoid like the plague, false promises all the time.
They don’t pay your wages correctly and withhold travel expenses and mentoring money/ bonus money etc.
Management is the worst I have ever experienced, no structure and no issues get addressed.
Management in Scotland are all family members so if they want you out the door they’ll do so no problem at all.
I now work for Siemens fitting smart meters & its night and day, my current company actually care about their staff.
Avoid avoid avoid!!!
Pros
Cons
Where do I start
Phoenix rising from the ashes.
Head of Commercial (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 August 2018
The business has suffered through the recent recession and has reshaped for the future. The impact of this reshape may take some years to add value to the operation and profitability of the company.
Enjoyable
bin man (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands19 July 2018
I have worked for Solihull council for 10 years and.I have enjoyed my working experience here but I feel the time to move onto new experience. I have learnt a lot from working at amey and through here I have a good attendance and never have sick time off.
Pros
Early finishes
Cons
Not great pay
Established and reputable engineering business
Production Manager (Pre-Assembly) (Current Employee) –  Swindon18 July 2018
A very well organised, committed and well led business that has become more visible to the public eye due to recent acquisitions and contract wins.

The future is very bright for Amey PLC.
Good colleagues to work with.Very experienced
Workshop/Sign-shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside25 June 2018
Would have liked to progress further with amey but decided to look at other possibilities in the market place.I felt there was not enough scope to have a productive input to project devoplment
Pros
Company car/fuel.Reasonable salary
Cons
Management team not open to input of experienced personel
Good Company to work for
Driver class 2 (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 June 2018
I worked at Manchester depot. I only worked there for a few months as I have a H.I.A.B and left to go somewhere else.They have a new fleet of bin wagons and they are good to drive, the depot is brand new and a lot better than some I have worked in. The lads I worked with were great, the odd one moaned but you get that anywhere you work. There was a Supervisor there who was sound and gave me the job and wished me all the best when I left. I have worked for different company's since I passed my H.G.V. 10 years ago and these weren't the worst. The pays not bad, not the best but I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Company schemes
refuse loader (Current Employee) –  Ilford22 June 2018
I’ve worked at this depot for over 10 years working for 3 different contractors Amey being one of them. The job is hard work but good management helps a lot
Pros
Working outside
Facilities Help Desk Adviser (Former Employee) –  Oxford20 June 2018
I enjoyed my time at Amey but the office I worked in was badly managed. The grounds of the offices were lovely and there was facilities there including a bar and restaurant that employees could use.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Stuck in an office all day
Poor progression, lack of support and low pay
Technician (Former Employee) –  UK20 June 2018
There is very demanding culture within the company, because most contracts are public contracts management overpromise to the client amd and then pass on unrealistic demands to frontline staff to cover their and advance themselves. There is next to no progression opportunities due to them not wanting to renumerate appropriately. One upsode is that staff that are happy there they do there best to retain in downturns, however you are made aware at all times you are expendable
Cons
Poor progression, low pay
Great company
Waste Operative (Former Employee) –  Dartford8 June 2018
great company to work for
great hours and pay
work was not to taxing
all the staff are friendly
i would highly recommend working for this company in the future
Ok
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Merseyside5 June 2018
OK company to work for, secure job, minimum pay, no progression and not much training provided.

Office based, good working environment and good people to work with
honest and fair
Senior building support officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast23 May 2018
good company , pretty straight forward pushed employees to better themselves and offered training to match. I enjoyed the role had a few issues with managers trying to make names for themselves .
Pros
friendy atmoshere
Cons
each department dont share advice or equipement
smart meter
Meter Installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
good place to work ftl and work team also work life balance is great but pay is poor compared too other companies but bouns you will never hit always unachievable with target for the amount of confirmed work given. Overall good place to work if you have a family.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay compared to other companies and bonus.
Don't work for this company they are shocking
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire24 April 2018
I worked for this company at two sites now both the same lack of management and only looking out for them self's, constant lieing to staff is massive within the company
Busy and underpaid
Operations Planner (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire17 April 2018
I have enjoyed my job immensely but not paid enough!
Scheduling work and planning in road works and private jobs with customers.
Dealing with contractors and site agents, often now on the same page.
Hard to manage workload and expectations.
Enjoyable if you are organised and work well under pressure.
Facilities maintenance
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Uk12 April 2018
I have worked for amey for the past ten years on three separate contracts.
I started at the bottom and availed of the large training opportunities offered and progressed to management.
I have found them to be a very good employer.
They offer a large amount of benefits, and have always had understanding managers.
Deadlines are sometimes difficult but this is similar in any company.
HR needs improvement but I have always found that H&S is the most important part of the company.
Pay could be improved in some areas, but this tends to be reflected on the contract you work, generally these are in line with marketplace competitors.
Given the size of the company it can be difficult to role out large scale changes and can take quite a while to reach ground level.
I can only speak from my own experiences but if you are willing to work hard and be flexible, it is rewarded and the training provided has given me ample opportunities to move to other better paid roles elsewhere but I choose to stay.
You get out what you put in.
Pros
Good teamates, good company values, good pension system
Cons
Avg pay, difficult clients
long breaks easier than the dole
highways operative (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire30 March 2018
would be a good job but for the management and supervisors no loyalty to the long term employee's. back stabbing, nepotism is rife. select workers on Amey contracts getting all the benefits of training allowed to book hours not worked, tax payers money being wasted by the wheelbarrow load. no surprise roads around Gloucestershire are abysmal.whoever wins no sorry are unfortunate to get the next contract they will need to have a good clear out.
Pros
late starts long breaks
Cons
no appreciation for some employee's
Good Company
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Aston, West Midlands19 February 2018
Amey Plc was a good company for me to work for, as I learned so many different skills.
As I mentioned in the section about my previous employment, as an apprentice I learned at college, on the roads, and in the office. Learned new skills in computers and taking responsibility for a team of people.
Pros
Friendly People to work with
Cons
Was asked to do do too much, in respect of what my job was. I Always try to go above and beyond in anything I do, but in this case it was just too much.