Amey Plc Employee Reviews

Poor progression, lack of support and low pay
Technician (Former Employee) –  UK20 June 2018
There is very demanding culture within the company, because most contracts are public contracts management overpromise to the client amd and then pass on unrealistic demands to frontline staff to cover their and advance themselves. There is next to no progression opportunities due to them not wanting to renumerate appropriately. One upsode is that staff that are happy there they do there best to retain in downturns, however you are made aware at all times you are expendable
Cons
Poor progression, low pay
Great company
Waste Operative (Former Employee) –  Dartford8 June 2018
great company to work for
great hours and pay
work was not to taxing
all the staff are friendly
i would highly recommend working for this company in the future
Ok
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Merseyside5 June 2018
OK company to work for, secure job, minimum pay, no progression and not much training provided.

Office based, good working environment and good people to work with
honest and fair
Senior building support officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast23 May 2018
good company , pretty straight forward pushed employees to better themselves and offered training to match. I enjoyed the role had a few issues with managers trying to make names for themselves .
Pros
friendy atmoshere
Cons
each department dont share advice or equipement
smart meter
Meter Installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 April 2018
good place to work ftl and work team also work life balance is great but pay is poor compared too other companies but bouns you will never hit always unachievable with target for the amount of confirmed work given. Overall good place to work if you have a family.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay compared to other companies and bonus.
Don't work for this company they are shocking
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire24 April 2018
I worked for this company at two sites now both the same lack of management and only looking out for them self's, constant lieing to staff is massive within the company
Busy and underpaid
Operations Planner (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire17 April 2018
I have enjoyed my job immensely but not paid enough!
Scheduling work and planning in road works and private jobs with customers.
Dealing with contractors and site agents, often now on the same page.
Hard to manage workload and expectations.
Enjoyable if you are organised and work well under pressure.
Facilities maintenance
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Uk12 April 2018
I have worked for amey for the past ten years on three separate contracts.
I started at the bottom and availed of the large training opportunities offered and progressed to management.
I have found them to be a very good employer.
They offer a large amount of benefits, and have always had understanding managers.
Deadlines are sometimes difficult but this is similar in any company.
HR needs improvement but I have always found that H&S is the most important part of the company.
Pay could be improved in some areas, but this tends to be reflected on the contract you work, generally these are in line with marketplace competitors.
Given the size of the company it can be difficult to role out large scale changes and can take quite a while to reach ground level.
I can only speak from my own experiences but if you are willing to work hard and be flexible, it is rewarded and the training provided has given me ample opportunities to move to other better paid roles elsewhere but I choose to stay.
You get out what you put in.
Pros
Good teamates, good company values, good pension system
Cons
Avg pay, difficult clients
long breaks easier than the dole
highways operative (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire30 March 2018
would be a good job but for the management and supervisors no loyalty to the long term employee's. back stabbing, nepotism is rife. select workers on Amey contracts getting all the benefits of training allowed to book hours not worked, tax payers money being wasted by the wheelbarrow load. no surprise roads around Gloucestershire are abysmal.whoever wins no sorry are unfortunate to get the next contract they will need to have a good clear out.
Pros
late starts long breaks
Cons
no appreciation for some employee's
Good Company
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Aston, West Midlands19 February 2018
Amey Plc was a good company for me to work for, as I learned so many different skills.
As I mentioned in the section about my previous employment, as an apprentice I learned at college, on the roads, and in the office. Learned new skills in computers and taking responsibility for a team of people.
Pros
Friendly People to work with
Cons
Was asked to do do too much, in respect of what my job was. I Always try to go above and beyond in anything I do, but in this case it was just too much.
N/a
Supervisor Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London31 January 2018
Good company to work gives opportunity to employees and respects the personnel Of all conditions to workers ................................ .........
Bad loaders
Driver (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 January 2018
Every driver will say same thing easy job made hard by lazy moaning loaders .expect to pick them up on round as most don't come to the yard in the morning ,except them to moan about being behind or what time are we going to finish because they need to be somewhere else and then at end of round except to be dropped of at there designated drop of point !!!! the thing is we have to get are selfs in to work regardless if we have a car or not but theses loaders think it's are responsibility to get them home on time so they can go home to sleep 😴 but the thing that really pppppp me of the poor things think they should be payed the same money as the driver 😂😂 all loaders should have to come to the yard in the morning and after the round is finished this will get rid of all the rubbish .
Pros
Going home
Cons
Loaders
Be prepared to sacrifice your family life just to make the management team happy!
Winter maintenance operative & fly tip driver (Former Employee) –  Haysden & Aylesford Depots in Kent29 January 2018
Worked as a winter maintenance operative for a few years, each year the rates dropped & workload increased! They expect you to work your normal job then work every other hour for them! Yet when you say you're too tired and it can become dangerous they threaten you with ending the contract! They also get you to sign wavers that you ARE getting sleep and aren't working excessive hours, yet they know you are! They tell you if you don't sign the agreements to say you fully accept responsibility that you are NOT working beyond your safe hours you won't get the work! The senior management team from within the depot to head office are key players ensuring you are protecting them whilst you drive tired & dangerously to adhere to schedules. Then they drop the rate AFTER you've done the work!
So in truth if you want to sacrifice your family time for a company that works hard to hit deadlines by knowingly putting YOUR safety and public at danger, then this is the place to work!
Yes, this is all factual and I would happily stand in court and swear on the bible about how bad the working conditions are with the company.
Very dangerous working practises for employees with catastrophic results for workers in the past. If you value your wellbeing then don't work here!
Pros
None!
Cons
Long hours, dangerous working practises, unsafe working conditions, dangerous equipment given to work with
Workforce
Dual fuel engineer (Former Employee) –  Bury24 January 2018
No structure or foundation, appealing staff, stuck up ceos, nothing was on time, waited 4 months for vans, Poe was incorrect hardly any equipment for the job
Pros
Good money
Cons
Horrible job
Productively
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London22 January 2018
Very satisfied with the company good communication good personal team work . All I can say is a good company . Now is time to
Move on and to start a n
Under Paid
Commercial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bamber Bridge12 January 2018
I really enjoy my job and the people I work with but the salary really lets it down. If they paid people better for the amount of work they where producing, I personally think people would stay instead of leaving, which then causes problems when you have to train new staff who have no knowledge of the department they have started in.
Pros
Car Parking
Cons
Under paid
TUPE'd staff forgotten
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Preston6 January 2018
I had high hopes when we transferred over to AMEY. Many were taking voluntary redundancy but I stuck it out seeing promotion to site manager my ultimate goal and this was clearly becoming a viable future situation initially. Sadly, this was not the case and I should have taken the VR when offered. I am not going to berate Amey and their policies because working for them outside of the FM contract could well be different but within, its very difficult. Impossible targets on minimum staff. I feel the pay is very good but still not enough compared to my workload and saying that, pay is the only good thing about my time here, purely because they pay a little more than HMP.
Chances of progression are marred by ex HMP site managers that have taken interim senior roles, area roles etc. and seemingly keep their "favourites" happy.
Their benefits are very good though, with salary sacrifice and child care vouchers being at the top of the list.
Benefits
Cons
Management is poor within the FM contract
Good Job
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth29 December 2017
IT was a brilliant place to key my skills and progress within my knowledge and experience. I worked well with the people I was with and enjoyed what I did for the time I was there. I would have loved to stay longer however due to family life I had to leave.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Commute
Unfriendly and unprofessional
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 December 2017
Unfortunately, my working experience with Amey was very bad. The support to new starters was non-existing. Projects were executed in a very poor manner, which not just annoyed our client (who had to pay extra), but also made our work unnecessarily stressful. The management was not competent and helpful. The working atmosphere was rather dull with everyone caring only about himself. Training was focused mainly on health and safety, while technical training (adequate to your role), was virtually nil. In terms of salary and benefits, there are far more companies out there, which will take better care of you.Two most important lessons I have taken from this company are 1) not how to manage projects and 2) not how to manage people.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, lack of training, unfriendly atmosphere, extremely poor execution of projects
Good company
CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire17 December 2017
worked here for three years, really enjoyed it until I had an altercation. no support given so I left due to illness caused by stress and anxiety. would not return
Pros
None really
Cons
No support from management