American Golf

American Golf Employee Reviews

United Kingdom71 reviews
At the store level, the job is great with really friendly staff and a good rate of pay (bar management). If you are an avid golfer the benefits of working here are brilliant. The members of staff outside the stores in high-level management positions are poor and are only bothered about profitability and give little regards to staff members in order to achieve this.
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are happy to read that you feel the benefits offered with our business are brilliant. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our higher management outside of your store. Although this feedback is disappointing, it is welcomed to allow for improvement.
I really enjoyed my time at AG. The work is allocated fairly, and training given on all aspects of golf accessories and equipment sales. The manager is a very accommodating and approachable manager with great man management skills. The shifts were always worked out fairly, and shift swaps were always available. Overall a great experience.
Pros
Work life balance, discount, great team spirit.
Cons
Some long days with an early start the following day.
The good old days of American Golf have fell by the wayside the pressure to sell is unbearable the newish,sales proces makes you feel like a babbling robot the natural sales flair has been erased, senior management is shocking beyond belief, no interaction with the sales staff if your face doesn't fit you will be out the door.
Commission is absolutely shocking I could go on but what's the point nothing will get changed
Pros
The shop staff are usually good to get along with.
Cons
Pay long hours shame really used to be a good company to work for.
Complaints about another employee unprofessional stealing sales not taken seriously.Employees are underpaid for the level of product knowledge the role requires. Staff only receive 1% commission on all sales. Management will be on your back all the time for increased sales.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Inadequate pay and unpleasant working environment
As a small and varied team of professionals dedicated to improving the game of golf.
Instilling a culture of customer focused excellence in service and quality of fit.
Pros
Golf
Cons
Golf
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review of our business and teams.
I don’t know how a golf business can be run by people that are not from a golf back ground .
Unprofessional, dishonest , unreasonable targets and sales techniques, just a joke really iv been in the golf trade for ever and the business model is a joke , waste of 4 months of my life
2 April 2020
Thank you for leaving this review. Our business welcomes golfers of all levels across our stores but we also welcome passionate salespeople who are driven by goals/targets while maintaining service standards at all time.
We would like to wish you luck in your next career.
Good company if you like the golf industry. They provide a full golf fitting service and from time to time free lessons from PGA golfers. Have to be prepared to work varying shifts due to store opening hours.
2 April 2020
Thank you for writing this review. We appreciate your comments and you are correct as a retail business we offer various hours to ensure that we are available to deliver the best service for the customer within our stores opening hours.
Motto is "we exist to improve your game"
That's as far from the truth as it gets. You sell equipment based on incentives and you are told to sell even if its not necessary
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. As a retail business we do hold a number of product incentives monthly however we remain focused on our service offering. We will continue to improve customers games through our knowledgable teams in-store and our free in store fitting process.
I worked as a casual sales assistant at American Golf for about half a year and found that it was very a sales and target driven job. The training process was very long winded and required a fair bit of time outside of working hours. They teach you a sales approach that you have to follow for every customer even if wanted to browse or were just coming in to buy a bag of tees. The managers will be on your back all the time making sure you are meeting your targets and following this sales tactic which I found very unnatural. The targets were hard to reach given the footfall in most golf shops particularly on a week day. A typical day consists of pretending to rehang clothes and put the golf balls back in the right place whilst eyeing up your next customer. The employee benefits are really great if you like golf but would be of no interest if you didn't play. You definitely need to know your stuff about golf equipment and enjoy full on sales to do this job.
2 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We continually review our training process and development programmes to ensure that we equip our colleagues with the knowledge they need to provide the best service. We will continue to review our benefits.
I feel that American Golf give you loads of benefits and learning something new everyday as well as getting opportunity to interact with the public and gaining relationships between customers.
17 January 2020
Thank you for this fantastic review! We hope to continue drive learning and development for our colleagues across the business. Continue the great work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at American Golf?
Awful company to work for, don’t treat staff well. No recognition for any work done. Would recommend staying away from AG. Commission isn’t good at all for the work you do to sell
Pros
Cons
Management, commission, and normal pay
9 January 2020
We are sorry to read about your experience working for American golf. We are regularly reviewing our reward and recognition programme to ensure that colleagues get the recognition they deserve. The information you have provided will be passed to senior leaders within the business to help us improve in the areas specified.
Working towards KPI's , if you have a passion for golf you will do very well here. Not like your normal retail. It is fun and have a drive to sell to customers
9 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our colleagues across the business continue to demonstrate their passion and love for the game through the fantastic service offered in stores. We also welcome sales and customer-focused people to join our teams.
Managers can be well paid by industry standards. Hard to keep decent sales staff due to average earning potential, tendency is to end up with clueless younger employees.
Big stores can be manic, but only at certain times....too many 'graveyard' shifts
Cons
Hours can be anti-social, hard to take a lunch break
9 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are continuing to work on the areas highlighted including ongoing training/development for our new employees by our national training team.
Sales staff are usually fun to work with, you feel like a team. Only managers vary. You can get ones that you gel with, that bring out the best in you and really care about improving your performance through encouragement. And then there's the ones that treat you like dirt, talking behind your back and have no respect or compassion towards you if you're not performing. They make you feel like a you're just a part of their pay-cheque.
26 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. Our sales teams in store are an imperative part of the business and it's welcoming to hear positive feedback. We also welcome the feedback on our management teams and will look to improve on this through our recruitment/selection process and ongoing coaching/support regionally.
if you like golf you'll love the opportunity to be part of the UK's biggest golf retailer, dealing with customers to understand their needs and help them find the best products for them.
26 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with American Golf.
Great Company to work for if you enjoy helping people with there game and know your products in a much better place now with very good staff benefits and discounts
26 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time leaving this review. We will continue to strive in being a great company to work for.
Awful bullying culture in the business. Management try to influence results by threatening staff with dismissal and abusive language almost daily.
Even if you preform over and above exceptions promises of rewards/progression are rarely delivered.

Quite honestly the worst business I’ve ever worked for.
26 November 2019
We are sorry to read about your experience working for American golf. We will feedback this information and work to improve in the areas specified.
the typical work day wold be going round the shop floor tidying up and making sure things are in place it also consisted of helping customers and serving them
Pros
nothing
Cons
no cons
Enjoyed my time here however management was poor as they came and went. Please esure you only apply here if you have knowledge/passion for golf! But it helped my golf game also as working with great golfers too!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management, Stressful for managers
typical day would be to arrive and set the staff tgts for the day . keep control of the orders and generally giving the customers the best experience that they can while visiting the store
Pros
staff discount
Cons
inflexible kpi
very good company to work under, worked in a superstore with a large team which were all very committed to their job and were able to work together as a team.
Pros
incentives, commission
Cons
long shifts