American Golf Employee Reviews

very good!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 March 2019
very good company to work under, worked in a superstore with a large team which were all very committed to their job and were able to work together as a team.
Pros
incentives, commission
Cons
long shifts
Flexible working
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Clydebank29 January 2019
Working in a passionate environment helping customers improving their game. Restructing at present to allow the company to succeed going forward. Given the opportunity to develop skills that are transferable for future employment opportunities
Pros
Staff Discount, Working in golf
Cons
Salary Poor
Sales pressure
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire18 January 2019
You get 2 days training which is all about upselling and nothing else. When you get in store you will be under constant pressure to sell more and be expected to meet sales targets or be managed out of the business! 6 hours Sunday working is required and you get no breaks. I love golf and thought this would be ideal job but I only put up with it for 7 weeks! Find something else!
Uninspiring workplace
Assistant Manager/Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Essex9 January 2019
Not a well run company at all.
The company does not care about any of their staff who work for them.
Job security is not certain.
I would not recommend American Golf to anyone.
Store was ran well - Business was ran poorly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough14 October 2018
I began as a sales associate on a part time contract. After 2 years, I became the Assistant Manager for a store. The morale in store was buzzing and I enjoyed going to work each day.

The company has since had a restructure and our store has been selected to close, with all of the 8 staff, who are brilliant at their job made redundant. This is because of poor management from the top with 4 CEO's being appointed over the last 3 years.

I will honestly miss working for the company and with my fellow colleagues that were met in that store. I hope the new investors can save the rest of the stores without causing more job losses.
Pros
Brilliant Vibe
Cons
Poor management above store level
Low morale and bullying area managers
Store manager (Former Employee) –  North West4 October 2018
I was a store manager for many years, saw many changes during my time and each time it just seemed to drag the company down a little bit more but most of the regional managers just towed the line like lap dogs. Saying it was the right thing for the business, when everyone at store level could see it wasn’t. We had a particularly nasty piece of work as our area manager, she always liked to get her own way. And if you dared to speak up against anything or even have an opinion different to hers then god help you. Once you were on her hitlist you were as good as gone. She would make your life a living nightmare.

The workload is ridiculous and stores are so under staffed it’s criminal.

Head office are clueless with most jobs given to whoever can get their heads up this weeks ceo’s Backside the furthest!

Do yourselves a favour, work anywhere but here.
Pros
Leaving felt like heaven
Cons
Walking through the door in the morning
Toxic company - avoid
manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland27 September 2018
The company has unraveled in recent months with a mass exodus of good people, bullies have been promoted and bullying is actively encouraged by senior management.Incredible to see the rapid decline of a company upon the appointment of a new CEO.
Pros
good store staff
Cons
bullying area management
not ideal
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey11 September 2018
the job itself is great if you're not fussed about money or progression, but as a young person who's looking to progress as a career its difficult to earn good money here. lots of leading and using done by the managers within the business, lots of change in commission structure. moral is low in stores and you're being asked for the world with very little return. wouldn't recommend to work here if you are looking for a career.
Pros
demo new clubs
Cons
Wages are poor!!! Little return for efforts no overtime pay
Pressure Sales
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian6 September 2018
The company heavily pushes pressure sales. Often, you would be criticised and warned for not meeting targets that were more or less impossible to achieve due to the amount of customers within the store. However, the job is fun in terms of being around all of the new golf equipment coming out and being able to help people get the correct equipment for the.
Pros
Free driving range, able to test all clubs and good discounts
Cons
Salary, pressure sales, management
nice staff
Sales Advisor - Full Time (Current Employee) –  croydon4 September 2018
learned how to be a master fitter.

the hardest part was the long evenings when the shop is very quiet.

typical day is come into work and get stuck into customers and be on the shop floor catering to customer needs until we go home.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
long nights
Excellent place to work.
part-time sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth4 September 2018
In a nutshell working For AG is really good fun.

I worked part time in the Plymouth store for About a year and loved it. talking about golf all day is most golfers dream, so talking with people who actually care about golf is even better. you get to try new products and learn so much more about the game.

depending on where you work and who your with the other staff are nice and easy to get along.
Pros
Resonable pay - great training - easy life - STAFF DISCOUNT!
Cons
Comisson Isnt Amazing.
Poor pay poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands31 August 2018
I worked for american for many years. The only good thing about the job was working with great people in the store other that that it was horrible. Poor hours, poor pay and poor commission structure
Pros
Cheap Golf Gear
Cons
Working hours, pay and upper management
Just talking about what you love.
part-time sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth17 August 2018
I worked in Plymouth for just under a year and I loved it. The staff are great and the training is consistently there to improve your knowledge about the game and the products on offer.
Pros
Staff discount & you get to talk golf all day.
Cons
Rotas & pow commission structure
Poor manager
Asst manager (Former Employee) –  Sandown, surrey3 August 2018
When first started was fun. Agreed days of with manager. Then he changed days of. Commission was taken by manager. I was doing all work. He did nothing. No praise given to me as asst or to other team members. Manager took all credit for everything. Hours long..pushed out by poor manager and lack of support from regional manager. Didn't want to leave as loved job, colleagues, but manager pushed me out.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, poor manager
Fun experience
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Hull13 June 2018
American golf was a Brilliant way to grow my skills. I gained some friends during my week there and I still speak to some of them now. Golf has always been a big thing for me so to have the experience of working there was amazing
Pressure selling
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hedge End, Hampshire22 May 2018
Worked for AG for a few years and it was good at first then the management changed and so did the work ethic. You are made to do pressure sales ie gloves to reach a certain target. Not sure the company is really out to help you like their tag line suggests.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long hours, pressure sales, work most weekends
Disjointed Company
Assistant Manager Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire27 April 2018
American Golf change their approach to their business model so much it confuses staff and customers alike, the management are very rude and self centred
Hard work and rewarding
Stock Administrator (Former Employee) –  London11 April 2018
Whilst working at American Golf I managed the stock room and the deliveries that we received on a daily basis.
I was responsible to book in all deliveries and make sure that all the stock we received was on the invoices provided.
There was on occasion days where deliveries would be wrong which I would then have to investigate and rectify so our stock pile was correct.

The work environment was friendly from both the management, other employees and the members of the public.

At times throughout the year ie at Christmas or the start of a golf tournament I would struggle to stay on top of all the orders and deliveries we had coming in so some weeks I fell behind on keeping the stock room and its efficiency up to date. But once the busy period calmed the stock room was back to being very organised, tidy and efficient.

I would also do the visual merchandising for the store in which I would display the various brands of clothing that we stocked in a way that would appeal to customers and make them want to buy the product and it accessories. This was challenging on occasions as if the item of clothing was popular we could sell out of certain sizes quicker then others and the display that I had worked hard on looking full and eye catching could soon turn to an empty half filled display.
I enjoyed working at AG and I most enjoyed the effect that my role had on the store. I was always complimented on the way I kept the running of the stock room by senior members of staff and other managers from a number of stores in the south region of the company.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Commuting in to London via public Transport
this was a job in work experience in which i enjoyed.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Bagshot10 April 2018
i was helping the customers, restocking shelves and working around the tills if need be. the management was very good. i enjoyed working with new people and getting to gain more experience within this job.
Pros
it was close to home, it was something i enjoyed doing.
Cons
the hours were long
Fantastic company to work for
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  North East12 March 2018
I have worked for American Golf a little over a year now. American Golf have a real passion for customer service in their stores. It doesn’t matter if a customer is looking for balls or a full new set of clubs, it’s all about the customer experience. There are many fantastic incentives available for those who excel in their role. Colleagues have recently won trips to the masters, the US open, full sets of clubs fitted from brands and even a round of golf with Lee Westwood. Last year, the company held a ‘AG Ryder Cup’ At The Belfry where store colleagues who won a place on the team took on the head office team. There are also smaller incentives at various points through out the year where you can win prizes such as games consoles etc. American Golf also offer great development opportunities for those who want to progress in to management positions through their dedicated team of trainers who travel the country offering coaching and support. All in all, American Golf is a fantastic place to work if you have a passion for golf as well as a passion for people.
Pros
Free access to a launch monitor when store is quiet, good incentives, good staff discounts, chances of progression
Cons
If you are a serious golfer you may play less weekend comps.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Golf. Our community is ready to answer.

American Golf Reviews by Location