American Express Employee Reviews

A good lifetime career in the right team
Director Finance (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex4 May 2017
I have enjoyed a long career at American Express and therefore would find it difficult not to recommend them. On the whole a great company to work for but as always under the right leadership and in the right team. As the company downsizes the culture is changing.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  South East26 April 2017
Mixture of phone work and back office work. Handled customer queries and complaints as well as monitoring of key accounts.Good management support. Good training programmes.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Aexp
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London19 April 2017
My day to day role changes all the time this is one of the great things about Facilities its never dull.

From air-con to broken desks to hosting meetings to calling in repairs to the building always something needing doing.

Over the years I have picked up many new skills and used them in all aspects of my life ( Health and safety at home being one ).

I have had the pleasure of working for some very good managers over my time some good some bad but all different and all have taught me many things.

The culture here is very laid back and very different from where I have worked before but adaptable is every Facilities person middle name.

Hardest part of job is not being able to be more pro active and having to rely on outside contractors for work needing doing .

The people are usually the enjoyable part especially when something they request happens .
Pros
easy travel
Cons
a lot of waiting for things to be paid causing delays.
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, UK17 April 2017
I enjoyed working at American Express and developed a good relationship with all my colleagues. I think the work ethos at American Express was good, whereby they generously rewarded steady and productive workers.
Pros
rewarding place to work
Cons
unsocial hours
Relaxed work environment
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex13 April 2017
American Express is overall a great company to work for. The benefits were great and management at the company was also good overall.

However, Job security especially as a customer care professional was something that felt out of the ordinary. The atmosphere almost felt as if everyone's job was at risk. Also some of the targets that were required in the role were quite unreasonable and unfair.

Overall role is great for some who can work under pressure and is prepared to be screamed at almost on a daily basis. Staff there were great and friendly.
Pros
Breaks/Lunches, benefits
Cons
Targets, Salary, Customers
Excellent place to work and progress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, UK11 April 2017
You feel very much part of a family all working to one goal.
Great values and culture.
Great people you make good friends with for life.

You are valued and feel valued, great investment in their people.
Pros
Great development opportunities
Cons
Shifts
Very flexible and understanding workplace.
Programme Manager/Release Train Engineer (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex31 March 2017
Organisation is going through a massive transformation which results in a degree of instability.

Its embracing all the new IT management practises and tools.
False hope
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex28 March 2017
Training does not include how to properly service customers - more based on sales and how to make more money.

During my time there, 5 people were let go, an additional 7 after that I have heard about. No job security.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No job security
Not nice
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex22 March 2017
I had a choice of really difficult shifts, either 7 to 3 or 1.30 to 9.30 and I opted for the later shift.

I didn't realise how much this would affect my social life, but it did. Not only that, but I became so stressed by the continuous and non-stop calls (you don't get a minute to breathe sometimes) that I became a little frantic at times and I would go home exhausted.

You have to be super nice to every customer and there are always angry customers to deal with. If you are unlucky enough to be surveyed by these customers this will affect your statistics and therefore your performance based pay is also reduced drastically. You are constantly stressing about results and trying to please every customer, even if they are far too difficult or being overly mean. You just have to tolerate it.

My team leader dismissed me just before my probation for failing 2 compliance calls, whereby I didn't take the customer through correct security. Some of my peers had failed this over 5 times and were let off each time. Therefore I felt harshly dealt with as if he had a vendetta against me.

Otherwise everyone was very helpful and nice but there is a slight cult-ish feeling to working there like people are conditioned to be a little robotic and self important because they work for american express, but there are some truly great exceptions.
Pros
nice big desks and spacious
Cons
management, bad shift options, angry customers
Good company
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  England, U.K.21 March 2017
Great if you are looking for a career, but be careful not to get stuck in the same roles. There are opportunities to progress you just need to find them.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Pressures
A great company to work for
Global Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Home Based20 March 2017
Amex GBT pays well and expects results for this. If you work hard you will be recognised and awarded. All in all a great company and one I would recommend.
Pros
home working
Cons
too many inter working divisions
Good employer - international company.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton18 March 2017
Variety of responsibilities - at all levels.
Not micro managed in my role.
Encouraged to embrace all forms of technology and learn new systems.
Not 9-5 job.
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Sometimes a challenge to achieve work/life balance.
Only excellent will do
UK Customer Engagement Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 March 2017
Amex is highly motivated on excellence and being the most respected service provider brand in the marketplace

The most enjoyable part of the role is developing your team as there is lots of opportunities at amex
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Job security
fun, freindly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex4 March 2017
I liked the development side and training you go through, career advancement is discussed from the beginning. With the right manager you can go far in this company.
Cons
unsociable hours 24/7 call centre
Very busy but driven work environment
Director, Operational Risk (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex27 February 2017
Lots of hard working and dedicated people work here. There is always a lot of work to do so expect to work long hours. working with legacy systems and lots of red tape can be frustrating
Good work place
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex24 February 2017
Very good work place, coworkers interesting to help anytime, great minded company.

Good shift, can do long hours if you want to.

Healthy living.
Pros
Canteen is really healthy and cheap
Cons
Enjoyed my time there shame the branch closed
Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scotland22 February 2017
Was a great place to work I was only there for one year but would have stayed has the branch not closed.
They provided an extensive training program I felt confident doing my job by the end of training.
Pros
Offers winning trips from suppliers
Cons
stressful at times
Fun to work
BSA (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill, West Sussex21 February 2017
Very employee friendly and great to learn in Card and payments domain.

You can learn from network, Acquirer and Issuer perspective. New card products etc.
Fast-paced office environment
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex8 February 2017
An extremely demanding place to work but offers fantastic benefits and bonus scheme. Great location and facilities on site.
Freelance reporter
Freelance column (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 February 2017
As a freelance reporter I had freedom to suggest stories every month, and cover them.
Working remotely, I learned how to organize my time and make sure I'd deliver what was expected of me.
The hardest part of the job was to not see the final product, and the most enjoyable part was to write about a subject close to my heart: London.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2