American Express Pay & Benefits reviews

Nice people to work with
Senior Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London16 July 2018
Worked for 8 years, overall good, made good friends. Good pension and some benefits. Got to travel to different countries for work experience. Enjoyed my time there.
Tough and demanding work place
Graduate Analyst (Former Employee) –  London14 July 2018
Incredibly high pressure, and demanding targets. Very stressful atmosphere with little to no support. It is a great opportunity if you are prepared for this, if not, stay away.
Pros
wage
Cons
pressure
poor management styles and benefits
Senior Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brighton24 May 2018
poor management styles and benefits. they only progress staff they like and don't like staff to think outside the box or be different. there is a culture of sexism
Fun and engaging work place
TRAVEL AND LIFESTYLE CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Brighton3 May 2018
I found American Express to be a fun and engaging work place for it's employees and I always felt encouraged to progress. The shifts and pay are the only downsides, otherwise it is a great place to work with a lot of employee benefits.
Pros
Atmosphere, people & gym onsite
Cons
Hours and pay
Great people and work life balance
Business Development, BanK Partnerships-EMEA (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 April 2018
Very good company to work for with many career opportunities. Good benefits and support network internally.
I would highly recommend working here. Strong management and great training programs for development.
Pros
Work Life balance
Flexible, great leadership
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 February 2018
An organisation very focused on great leadership and team development. Really encourage employees to move around the organisation, with regular networking opportunities and recruitment starts from inside the organisation.

The usual negatives of a large organisation, e.g. limitations of salary when moving roles internally, and politics between teams. But overall a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible working, great leadership, team culture
Cons
Salary limitations with internal moves, politics between some teams
Inclusive and supportive
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex16 February 2018
Excellent workplace, supports diversity, good compensation package for the area. provides good work life balance, encouraging personal development of all staff
Great people and work life balance
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London16 January 2018
I loved working at American Express. They had a great team atmosphere and work lfe balance for the staff. The benefits were very good and covered all the needs for different stages of your life.

I only left as there was no career progression in my department and the remuneration package within the industry was not on a level playing field.
Good career opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 January 2018
Good career opportunities ,fair pay and compensation.
Leadership can have a one track mind. If you don’t want to progress that is often frowned upon like you are lazy.
It’s who you know no what you know.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Mentality within leadership
Great people
Projcet Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brighton17 November 2017
Worked with some great people, benefits are good compared to other local businesses in Brighton.

Climbing the corporate ladder can be very competitive and it can take a few years before you get the job you really want.

Amex has seen a lot of change over the past few years and feels a lot more corporate now than before. There is very little job security here with the amount of annual change that goes one.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Burgess Hill16 October 2017
Good positive place to work. Good relationships with AMEX staff (I'm a contractor). Nice mix of people in the building. Very modern building (internally).
Pros
Discounted food.
Cons
Takes a long time to get things actioned.
Fun workplace
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 October 2017
It can be very busy during the day but before and after the matches it was quiet and they day took a long time to finish.
All the staff and customers were all very friendly and kind.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Irregular hours
Collaborative environment, more responsibility than compensation levels suggest.
Product Management (Current Employee) –  London2 September 2017
The UK Consumer business is very dynamic, with many smart talented people. Culture in the Corporate unit is very sales-driven and tends to be more chaotic.

In general, AmEx excels at providing flexibility to its workforce, but with a trade off in compensation levels. Moving between offices, especially to NY is a real possibility for people who fit in and do well.
Pros
Global mobility, workforce flexibility, smart ambitious co-workers, industry-leading brand
Cons
Compensation vs. responsibility, frequent restructuring
Learning experience
Kiosk Staff (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex2 August 2017
My first job is in Amex. I learnt a lot here. Working with other people. Serving lots of customers under pressure. This has made me realize that working environment is very different from a uni environment.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay rate
Nice place to work
Customer Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex25 July 2017
My day is fairly balanced and I start the day processing the orders the cardholder has made with his reward points. I deal with issues relating to orders, bonus or other points not received.

I enjoy the work I am doing and although I do the same things everyday the problems or issues are different.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No parking facilities.l
Excellent
Credit Controller (Former Employee) –  Brighton21 July 2017
Great job best company I have ever worked for would go back anytime. Only left because of redundancy as they have moved many roles off shore. Good gym canteen work benefits .
Pros
Good company overall
Cons
Prone to redundancies
Nice workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brighton4 July 2017
Dealing with enquiries & answering calls from new and existing customers. Dealing with all escalated complaints and enquiries efficiently and effectively. Giving customers information about company services and products. Building relationships with customers. Handling difficult and aggressive customers in a professional manner.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
N/a
Analyst (Former Employee) –  South East26 April 2017
Mixture of phone work and back office work. Handled customer queries and complaints as well as monitoring of key accounts.Good management support. Good training programmes.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, UK17 April 2017
I enjoyed working at American Express and developed a good relationship with all my colleagues. I think the work ethos at American Express was good, whereby they generously rewarded steady and productive workers.
Pros
rewarding place to work
Cons
unsocial hours
Relaxed work environment
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex13 April 2017
American Express is overall a great company to work for. The benefits were great and management at the company was also good overall.

However, Job security especially as a customer care professional was something that felt out of the ordinary. The atmosphere almost felt as if everyone's job was at risk. Also some of the targets that were required in the role were quite unreasonable and unfair.

Overall role is great for some who can work under pressure and is prepared to be screamed at almost on a daily basis. Staff there were great and friendly.
Pros
Breaks/Lunches, benefits
Cons
Targets, Salary, Customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2