American Express Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Nice workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brighton4 July 2017
Dealing with enquiries & answering calls from new and existing customers. Dealing with all escalated complaints and enquiries efficiently and effectively. Giving customers information about company services and products. Building relationships with customers. Handling difficult and aggressive customers in a professional manner.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
N/a
good place to work
Customer Service/ Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire27 June 2017
answering phones, answering emails speaking to staff, helping run running reports, filling in data, filing , meeting and greeting guests, following security procudures
great multi cultural and international environment
Team Leader - Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex26 June 2017
Great multi cultural and international environment that challenges and invites. High work pressure due to the market requirments. People are required to be flexible and self starting. Great development opportunities within a wide range of capabilities. Great secondary rewards like pension schemes, in-house gym, and good private insurance. A place that will certainly cut your teeth and if you want you can achieve a lot and you do get the space to achieve just that. As with all big multinationals, working in the most efficient and effective way is met with many challenges on lots of levels unfortunately. But this also makes the people very creative and hands-on.
Pros
great variety in cultures and people
Cons
too big a vehicle to drive effectively and succesfully for everyone involved
Customer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, UK17 April 2017
I enjoyed working at American Express and developed a good relationship with all my colleagues. I think the work ethos at American Express was good, whereby they generously rewarded steady and productive workers.
Pros
rewarding place to work
Cons
unsocial hours
Not nice
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex22 March 2017
I had a choice of really difficult shifts, either 7 to 3 or 1.30 to 9.30 and I opted for the later shift.

I didn't realise how much this would affect my social life, but it did. Not only that, but I became so stressed by the continuous and non-stop calls (you don't get a minute to breathe sometimes) that I became a little frantic at times and I would go home exhausted.

You have to be super nice to every customer and there are always angry customers to deal with. If you are unlucky enough to be surveyed by these customers this will affect your statistics and therefore your performance based pay is also reduced drastically. You are constantly stressing about results and trying to please every customer, even if they are far too difficult or being overly mean. You just have to tolerate it.

My team leader dismissed me just before my probation for failing 2 compliance calls, whereby I didn't take the customer through correct security. Some of my peers had failed this over 5 times and were let off each time. Therefore I felt harshly dealt with as if he had a vendetta against me.

Otherwise everyone was very helpful and nice but there is a slight cult-ish feeling to working there like people are conditioned to be a little robotic and self important because they work for american express, but there are some truly great exceptions.
Pros
nice big desks and spacious
Cons
management, bad shift options, angry customers
fun, freindly
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex4 March 2017
I liked the development side and training you go through, career advancement is discussed from the beginning. With the right manager you can go far in this company.
Cons
unsociable hours 24/7 call centre
Interesting role
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 January 2017
amex have great opportunities for development. I was happy in my team and gained more responsibilities. I'd have stayed with the employer if I hadn't relocated
Fantastic place to work
Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Brighton20 November 2016
Great people, wonderful environment to work in, plenty of opportunity to build a career and network across departments, fair treatment of a diverse organisation
Best in Customer Service!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Philippines7 November 2016
American Express provides continues training to their customer service representatives to make sure they will to continually provide excellent service to it's customers.
Enjoyable
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falmer25 April 2016
Enjoyable place to work, not enough hours to work for little pay. Customer service is easy and enjoyable. Hardest part of the job would have to be committing to the ever changing hours/days of work.
Modern,productive and friendly workplace
Telesales/Customer Services Operative (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ENG7 August 2014
My job entailed dealing with customer account enquiries for all American Express cardholders - whilst also offering them upgrades on their services if available. Management was very supportive and proactive in helping us achieve our sales targets. My co-workers were very nice people. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing a good day's work and achieving or exceeding the targets set for me by management. The downside of the job was the weekend when a lot less staff were on and, usually, parts of the computer system were being upgraded. This would have a detrimental effect on our ability to perform necessary task for our customers. I left this job only because my marriage broke down and I was in the final stages of a messy divorce.
Pros
Bonus scheme, subsidised canteen, bar, gym
Cons
Of a weekend skeleton staff only
Call centre work is not for me
Temp Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ENG28 March 2014
I took this contract role on as AMEX was the only place to work in Brighton. It was highly pressurised as compliance was strict. I learn't a lot from a fantastic training course. I would say my co-workers were indifferent. The hardest part of the job was flicking through hundreds of screens and a taking 10 minutes to sign into the system, the work was mundane and not at all challenging
Pros
Canteen, training
Cons
salary was low and the role was mundane
Great Teamwork
Customer Care Professional - Merchant Services (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, ENG31 January 2014
A very flexible company with lots of opportunities to try new skills.
Pros
flexible, good people
Highly regarded
CUSTOMER SERVICE FOCUSED (Former Employee) –  Brighton30 December 2013
world wide recognized brand. Very nice office based not far from the sea front
productive and fun work place
Special Services Representative  (Current Employee) –  Brighton16 May 2013
Employed as a Special Services Representative in the Merchant Disputes Department. Dealing with high priority clients to resolve issues incurred due to the faults of the private and retail sellers. Offering a substantial level of support to customers in terms of financial management advice.
• Detect and minimise credit and fraud risk whilst allowing use of facilities.
• Using risk management principles when required.
• Conforming to regulatory procedures and policies in all circumstances to ensure consistent and high quality services to clientele.
• Maintaining a corporate responsibility in preserving the confidentiality of customer information.
• Liaise with customers and other departments, even outside office hours.
• Participate in various training activities to further improve colleagues’ and personal career development.
productive and fun workplace
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  leeds6 November 2012
as it is an inbound call centre i would calls from customers and internally from other departments my daily calls could be anything from:
-balance enquiry
-replacement cards
-notes to say the cardmember is going away
-taking payments
-general enquiries
i learned to be an excellent customer service advisor
the people i work with are really friendly and equally as good on the phones
there isn't any hard part of the job, it is a pleasure to talk to different people with different needs on a daily basis
Pros
bonus