American Express Employee Reviews in London

Found 45 reviews matching the search See all 6,095 reviews
not my place to say
nothing (Former Employee) –  London18 September 2018
I was here a week at aged 14. I don't know. I just got showed how a few of the departments within the company worked, and while I was there I did a little bit of research.
Tough and demanding work place
Graduate Analyst (Former Employee) –  London14 July 2018
Incredibly high pressure, and demanding targets. Very stressful atmosphere with little to no support. It is a great opportunity if you are prepared for this, if not, stay away.
Pros
wage
Cons
pressure
A great corporation but too focused on the core products
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  London4 July 2018
The company is fantastic and it's core products have served them well for so many years which is great to see and I'm sure they will for years to come but the business has some really innovative business units that struggles to get the focus needed to take it to the next level. The cross border payments/FX Sales business is a specialized unit that has performed tremendously over the years, the founding GM of the department, Paul Hargreaves, was fantastic at growing the business and keeping the teams engaged but alot of that has been lost since the integration within the wider business units.
Pros
Working for a brand that is so well known and respected is a joy
Cons
Always re-structuring the organisation which causes distraction, It's fairly difficult to move across business units as they tend to sway towards product experienced
Summer vacancy
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 June 2018
Worked here during summer holidays as front desk receptionist. Great role for new to job market. Allows you to identify the kind of role you are intersted in pursuing
Fast moving workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2018
I was happy there. Used all my skills. There was no typical day. Learned to be more patient. Hardest part of the job was the constant changes but I did enjoy that no two day were alike.
Pros
Easy location to travel to - Victoria
Cons
Never knew what was coming.
Great people and work life balance
Business Development, BanK Partnerships-EMEA (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 April 2018
Very good company to work for with many career opportunities. Good benefits and support network internally.
I would highly recommend working here. Strong management and great training programs for development.
Pros
Work Life balance
Ok but could be better
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 March 2018
It's ok but could be better. Large business with many moving parts. Market in which operates is very dynamic and projects can be challenging but fun. Career opportunities very limited outside the US.
Pros
Big brand, nice atmosphere, friendly colleagues
Cons
Culture is becoming a constraint rather than a driver, very limited opportunities to progress outside the US
Flexible, great leadership
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 February 2018
An organisation very focused on great leadership and team development. Really encourage employees to move around the organisation, with regular networking opportunities and recruitment starts from inside the organisation.

The usual negatives of a large organisation, e.g. limitations of salary when moving roles internally, and politics between teams. But overall a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible working, great leadership, team culture
Cons
Salary limitations with internal moves, politics between some teams
Good career opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 January 2018
Good career opportunities ,fair pay and compensation.
Leadership can have a one track mind. If you don’t want to progress that is often frowned upon like you are lazy.
It’s who you know no what you know.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Mentality within leadership
Great Work/Life Balance
Accounting Clerk & Assistant Analyst (Current Employee) –  London25 December 2017
Great colleagues who are all very intelligent and bright
Great work ethic
Great work life balance
Numerous networks to join
Inclusion of all cultures and sexes
It’s all about how you perform via the scoring method, which may not always be fair
Archaic methodology
Constantly changing the systems
Management do not listen to staff and clients
Cost cutting exercises all of the time
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Cost cutting exercises all of the time
satisfied employee
Regional Security Team Leader (London & M25) (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2017
This was eveerything you would expect of a large high profile global corporation. Work load was high with results were expected tio be delivered at a high level and on time. Good place to work.
Amex Review
Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 September 2017
Travel consultant dealing with the corporate teams travel plans across the globe through booking of travel arrangements. 9-5 job based at Morgan Stanley.
Collaborative environment, more responsibility than compensation levels suggest.
Product Management (Current Employee) –  London2 September 2017
The UK Consumer business is very dynamic, with many smart talented people. Culture in the Corporate unit is very sales-driven and tends to be more chaotic.

In general, AmEx excels at providing flexibility to its workforce, but with a trade off in compensation levels. Moving between offices, especially to NY is a real possibility for people who fit in and do well.
Pros
Global mobility, workforce flexibility, smart ambitious co-workers, industry-leading brand
Cons
Compensation vs. responsibility, frequent restructuring
Good
Risk Exec - Risk Information Management (Former Employee) –  London25 August 2017
Wide variety of exposure to the markets due to inter-department roles available for employees . Good on diversity with strong international element to broaden experience
Typical Day
Senior Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  London19 July 2017
· Managing corporate client accounts.

· Arranging travel for high profile clients.

· Responding to issues relating to incorrect ticketing, cancellations, no shows and complaints.
Business Development Agent for American Express
Business Development Agent for American Express (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 June 2017
• Selling American Express Business cards to small and medium-sized businesses across Canada.
• Understanding business needs of the customer, and promoting the most beneficial card product for the business.
• My communication and interpersonal skills, allowed me to excel within this role.
• In the short time of my temporary employment, I was always ranked within the Top Ten Best Sellers within the American Express Program.
Pros
Financial Rewards
Cons
Call Centre/Cold Calling
Excellent place to work
BDM (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 June 2017
top career development and coaching to ensure career path is clear and grows across multiple disciplines. Strong work/life balance ensures top talent is kept at the company.
Freelance reporter
Freelance column (Former Employee) –  London, UK6 February 2017
As a freelance reporter I had freedom to suggest stories every month, and cover them.
Working remotely, I learned how to organize my time and make sure I'd deliver what was expected of me.
The hardest part of the job was to not see the final product, and the most enjoyable part was to write about a subject close to my heart: London.
Diverse and collaborative atmosphere
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2017
A very diverse workplace with opportunity to innovate and learn. Fast-paced and friendly. Customer focused. Treats its employees well.
good times
Director &Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 January 2017
Worked my way through the company from settlements staff to senior trader. Great times and an amazing experience
Sadly a cut throat industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K