Amazon.com Employee Reviews

Mixed messages
Picker (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire13 October 2018
I worked at Warrington through an agency as a picker.

Pros - 3 days off, free hot drinks, highest leadership (American) are approachable, the agency are also helpful

Cons - lower leadership are a problem, I have to include assessors and their not so helpful "tips" and "hints". If you are picking an item every 12 seconds average (5 items a minute) as I was after my first week you should really be congratulated, not told every day that the target is 10 seconds.

A lot of temps like me just wanted to work hard and earn some money for Christmas but lower management / trainers assume that everyone wants to get their "blue badge" (permanent contract) by risking injury in pursuit of insane targets.

Unfortunately you are micro managed individually in the afternoon by the assessors whilst in the morning in the team meetings you are told the complete opposite by the managers - "focus on quality not speed" - "always use your ladders" - "make sure to take the time to leave the bottom row tidy". I could go on, but the inconsistency of messages made your head spin.

The worst thing is you are totally demotivated and demoralised after these assessor "chats" and your pick rate plummets for a good hour afterwards so the process is totally counter productive. If you're nearly 40 like me you just can't get to the pick rate of someone who's 20!

The turnover of staff ends up being consequently high but Amazon can always find replacements so I doubt any lessons will be learned any time soon.
Pros
Subsidised lunch, free parking
Cons
Unattainable targets
Felt like working abroad
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex13 October 2018
Feeling like a foreigner in your own country sucks. This has many disadvantages especially in the early days when you’re learning if the people that are teaching you can’t speak much English.
The job is nice meeting customers all day and being polite and friendly gets you a long way. It’s not a hard job but can be quite laborious. The warehouse is huge but as it’s leading up to Christmas it’ll get busier and it doesn’t appear that the logistics are as advanced as what they should be for such a big company right being late on my first two days by three hours a day which puts you behind and means you finish later. There are some opportunities to earn extra if you’re quick but with this be careful not to mess up as I believe mistakes are not taken to too kindly. Overall it pays the bills and if you put the hours in yo can earn well again but f you’re quick. Would be nice though speak to an English person every now and then
Pros
Nice customers, okay money
Cons
Don’t make mistakes or you’re gone, like working abroad
Satisfactory
U.K. - Fulfilment Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes12 October 2018
Overall satisfied but the sudden dismissal was not nice. Could have informed me on a month before time to enable me plan my next move. Was difficult to cope during my working period as PMP agents made it more frustrating
Very long hours and very short breaks
Quality Controller (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea9 October 2018
This job is ok if you’re desperate or in between jobs and you need some extra cash. It’s very easy to get a job via one of the two Swansea based agencies, just apply online and then you will be invited to a recruitment event. It took around 5 days to get a first shift confirmation. You get training on day 0, which lasted around 4 hours (you get paid for that). On your day one you get trained and support from Instructors. Overall my first impression was positive. Negatives include very long working hours (10 hours on your feet) you have to arrive to work early (I’d say at least 10-15 before), the place is very busy with people always rushing everywhere, changing and locker room very busy and crowded. Very short breaks (2 paid 15 min breaks) and one 30 min unpaid break. But because the place is so big and it takes at least 3-4 min just to walk to the canteen, then you have to queue to buy lunch. So it feels more like a 15 min break. Permanent employees with their ‘blue badges’ are treated differently to agency temps. Most of them won’t even speak to you as they consider themselves superior. The job is boring, you have to meet targets so no talking. No music either, so time goes very slow. Managers and team leaders are constantly going on about targets (which are printed after every break and displayed for the whole team to see). If you are fast, target driven and don’t mind repetetive work then this job might be for you. Overall 2/5 from me.
Pros
free hot drinks, pay above minimum wage, car park (not the main one.. which is reserved to permanent staff only)
Cons
Very long hours, boring repetitive work, very short breaks, agency staff treated worse than Amazon employees
amazon
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear8 October 2018
amazon was good to work for but long hours and unreliable contract.
i learned how to cope with long shifts and built up my stamina. the pay rate at amazon is really good.
Pros
na
Cons
na
21st century slavery
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire8 October 2018
This job is only suitable for temporary workers for some quick money. I would describe my experience very disturbing. They put some targets that are impossible for a healthy environment, I saw people collapsing for the workload. Brakes are monitored and if you go to toilets few times they would come to you and give warnings. And if you don't meet the crazy and impossible targets for 3 weeks they would fire you. You are basically a number for this company, you don't count as a human being.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Almost everything
Hard work but enjoyable
Stow instructor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester7 October 2018
Plenty of chances for advancement if you work hard you will get noticed I did and after only seven weeks with the company I was asked to be a stow instructor did my training in a night and am now ready to instruct new hires
Pros
Pay the rates are exellent and weekly
Cons
Breaks a bit short
nice enviroment
warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  brimsdown7 October 2018
The people are very friendly and your always active. You learn how to handle 1000s of products and move them in a fast pace. The management are ok not very fond of some that always speak in there own language.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
not enough break
Like a prison
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire7 October 2018
Choose life dont work here . Boring and lonely. Your feet will know about it . Its not worth the money . They look at you asif u have just shat in the microwave. No time to rest after a short dinner break . Wanna be brown noses allover . Deppressing environment. It will break you .
Pros
Home time
Cons
Oh there cons allright
Walkers Midshires
ICQA (Former Employee) –  Coalville, Leicestershire6 October 2018
Working at walkers as a team leader was one of my favourite jobs beacuse I met alot of new people and it made me more responsible in taking care of my own production line. I learnt alot as being a team leader such as doing paper works, making sure every product was up to date and learning the numbers of products that had to be made a day. The management of the place was brilliant. Very friendly towards us. I think the hardest part of this job was making sure all products were made on time and making sure their was products such a sausages available to make the products.
its work but it is demanding
Outbound warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline2 October 2018
it pays the bills but it is not for the faint hearted. there is also no job security you can get a tap on the shoulder at any time. I seen it happen at 3am on nightshift and people were escorted out without transport
Pros
it was employment
Cons
expectiations of staff too high
interesting and good place to work
i work in shipping (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester1 October 2018
I work at amazon Bolton and I find it to be a good job ,don't believe everything you read ,the staff are very friendly and helpful .
Yes they have targets and expect you to work hard ,but they are reasonable .you can learn alot they are very advanced.
Pros
good pay amazing benifits and hollidays
Cons
not rearly found any yet.
Horrible Environment
Picker (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife30 September 2018
Management was a joke, not enough time given for breaks, hazardous to health, hours of working were ridiculous left next to no time to actually get home and sleep, Overall the worst place to work.
i was bullied
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gourock, Inverclyde28 September 2018
although the wage for a single teenager is great its not enough for someone with a family or a house to keep and the managers love to pick on you till your worn out but the staff at the bottom of the ladder temps and full time packers are lovely and always try and steer you right
Pros
some kindness
Cons
management
Worst company
Warehouse Associates (Former Employee) –  Rugeley, Staffordshire28 September 2018
Employee are treated as a slave or as a robot. No respect. Rasism and discrimination. Amazon trainee temporar employee, but not permanent employee. It doesn't want to keep people. First is productivity, then quality and 3rh health and safety. The worst management i ever met in my life. Dirty place, lots dust. The food is horrible and expired. Materials and tools are broken, damaged. Amazon wants lots work, fastes, no matter how or with what tools. Amazon doesnt respect breaktime (too much to walk inside to get food or a cigarette). If you want to have an easy job there you should be friend, mother, sister of one manager, not to work hard. Too many gods in same place, starting with cleaning employee, continued with security, managers, leadership, procces guide, problem solve, collegues, even 3 months employee who didn't know the process very well. All this are happening in Amazon Rugeley. I dont recomand!
Good: car parking free, hot drinks, cariere choice, overtime paid 150%-between 40-50 hours/week and 200%-between 50-60 hours/week, but overtime isnt available all the time.
Bad: management, rasism, discrimination, Amazon doesn't follow the law, employee rights. Huge targets, not human one. Compering with Amazon Manchester wich are robots. Not understanding vis-a-vis by health condition, safety, employee rights etc. No allowed to sit down, drink coffee at all during work time. Stand up 10 hours per day ( except 2 times break time in total-one hour (30 minutes paid by amazon, 30 minutes paid by employee). Managers used to ask how many times have you been on toilet
  more... and how many minutes have you spent there, about idle time which is part of process - Amazon Rugeley has 3 toilets in pick tower, all of them in ground floor, even if it is one kilometre long and has 4 floors).
Salary: temp :day: 8/h, night: 9, permanent day shift 8, 35/h, permanent night shift: 10,35/h
Pickers: walking around 25-30 km per day, because who are making pick list doesn't see Amazon inside, he doesn't know how and were those locations and allocated time to walk between locations are not real. They should use damaged or broken carts. Not enough scanners or batteries.
Receivers: stand up in front of a table all day, scaning goods and put them on carts. The conveyor is running one side of him.
Stowers: no available space to stow items, use damaged or broken carts. Should handle heavy carts (about 100 kg or more), overfilled carts. No scanners or batteries. Nobody to fill carts.
Packers and prep: heavy items to pack or cover with bubble wrap and no time for this.

Is ok to work here for a while if you: follow university, want money and you do overtime

Leads, managers and hr admins who dont understand that you are tired, sick, you worked hard because they are preoccupied to sitting down all day and laughing by you
Pros
Read my notes: few things
Cons
All things: nothing compare with amazon rugeley. Horrible
terrible place
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline28 September 2018
wouldnt go back to work for them again. you cant ware your own jewlary, take your phone in with you and if you get an emergancy phone call. like a passing of a family member you wont know about it. the place should be closed
Pros
no pros
Cons
treat you like a prisoner
Amazon are horrible to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Norwich28 September 2018
Worse company I have ever worked for customer always comes first even when they are clearly in the wrong they massively overwork the drivers and don't allow enough time to finish routes according to their guidelines so if route done 100% how they would like they can take over 12 hours you have to be self employed so absolutely no job security they will just get rid of drivers when they feel like it
Pros
Cons
Long hours terrible work conditions and pressure
bad
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire26 September 2018
i worked with amazon for 2 months and everything about the company was shocking. the management team did not deal with issues that were raised and everyone was treat like they was in prison instead of work.
Pros
cheap lunch in canteen
Cons
everthing else
Too hard
stower (Former Employee) –  rugeley25 September 2018
rubbish place to work, unreachable targets, rude managers, rubbish hours, you have to walk the length of 11 football fields everyday. boring and monotumous.
Great place for those who are not afraid of work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 September 2018
I've been here for almost a year now, and I can tell that Amazon is a great place to work.
Plenty of overtime opportunities, good salary, nice atmosphere. Yes, you have to achieve targets, but the targets are not very high, I'm making 110% without any difficulty. And I'm a woman with no fitness background.
The only way you are not making target is if you're always off your station talking, drinking coffee, going to toilet every 15 minutes etc.
There are also great career opportunities available on all levels. I've received permanent contract after only 3 months with agency. And I've been provided with future career opportunities and advises from my managers, and also learning department and HR department.

I recommend this company for everyone who need stable work and to those who are aiming high but has to start from low level. If you will truly invest in the company, Amazon will always support you in every way you need.
Pros
Good salary, career opportunities, nice atmosphere
Cons
Dusty environment, dry air - can be bad for people with asthma or allergies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amazon.com. Our community is ready to answer.

58.4K