Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

Nice atmosphere, work colleagues and supportive Manager
Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 August 2018
A typical day is supporting Service Users suffering from Alzheimers and Dementia with personal care, feeding, personal care, writing , listening to music, games , talking and listening to Service Users. Encouragement.
Management is fantastic and it is a support, understanding and encouraging. Enjoyable place to work.
The job is enjoyable and rewarding as I am making a positive difference in the Service User`s lives.
Pros
Good salary. Nice workplace.
work
Dementia Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands5 September 2018
ok company, found the work boring, but the company benefits are really good and look after the employee, management could be better. work and home life balance
I worked independently with others to fundraise
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Essex20 August 2018
I didn't work directly under the company I was a volunteer to help fundraise(like many others) so a cure could be found for Alzheimer's because I believe in the work they do.
Committed and varied Charity
Administrative Assistant (Voluntary, Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
This is an excellent company to work for in the Charity sphere.

A typical day in the Fundraising department is busy, varied and demands high standards. Workplace culture is relaxed and mature. You are trusted to get on with achieving results in your own way without micro management. Diversity is represented and there is a very good culture of listening.
Pros
well appointed City offices, free beverages
Cons
as with all Fundraising, what we do now is not apparent in the short term
great cause
regional community fundraising manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire7 September 2018
a fantastic society but not flexible in working and management styles and processes are out of touch. no governance in terms of impact to processes or outcome. A real knee jerk environment with very little cross team interaction.
Pros
great cause
Cons
flexible working not available enough. no processes or governance
A bugger's muddle
Dementia Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alzheimer's Society22 August 2018
The work we do to support people affected by Dementia is outstanding and we pull together as a team. However, the whole organisation is shambolic, contradictory and hostile towards workers. We are described as "experts" by our CEO but we are certainly not paid to be.
Pros
Lovely work colleagues
Cons
Underpaid, insecure contracts
Lovely job but tricky management
Dementia Adviser (Former Employee) –  Guildford1 August 2018
Lovely job supporting those with Dementia and their families but job was often under threat of being pulled due to lack of secure funding. The team were really nice, however, too many levels of management
Rewarding but repetitive.
Customer Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 September 2018
The day started exactly at 9am as this is the time when the phones would ring through. The team was 6 assistants, 2 managers and one overall manager. The team was split into 2.
The job was quite repetitive with data entry, answering phone calls and answering emails.
Pros
Stuck to work hours
Cons
Clicky
Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable
Events (Former Employee) –  Fenchurch Street11 August 2018
My 'manager' did not have much input as to what I had to do. The team was pretty much a mess. Gossiping seemed to be the main thing there.

Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable but as a newbie it is hard
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
People
Productive workplace
Data analyst volunteer (Former Employee) –  43-44 Crutched Friars, London EC3N 2AE22 August 2018
Everyone is very respectful and friendly. Workplace is clean and spacious, with some great areas to relax and take breaks. Guidance and training was excellent.
Pros
Good area with lots of food options nearby
Lots of Variety!
Dementia Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside7 March 2017
My day to day role is extremely varied- one day is never the same as the next! My role primarily involves maintaining a caseload of clients and providing them (either people living with dementia, or people affected by dementia) with one to one support. I will assess each individual client's situation and provide any necessary information or guidance, with the aim of maintaining their independence and improving their wellbeing. If necessary I will signpost to, or liase with, local services and organisations e.g. social services, memory clinics, benefits advice teams. I also facilitate Alzheimer's Society support groups and activity groups, and role manage a number of volunteers. Additionally, my role involves raising the public profile of dementia. I attend local events and conferences with the intention of improving awareness of dementia among both professionals, and members of the general public.
Pros
Training
Inspiring.
Voluntary Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham14 May 2018
As a volunteer, I was expecting a welcome, however, the welcome I received was far greater than my expectations, in the short time I have volunteered with The Alzheimers Society I have always been treated with the greatest respect and have been made to feel appreciated. Volunteering in itself is a reward, however, I cannot thank the Alzheimer's Society enough for being such an amazing Society to volunteer with.
Challenging and exciting
Support Service Manager (Former Employee) –  South & West Northern Ireland14 October 2012
It was an extremely demanding and challenging role.
Daily I would have traveled to a different office to support the key staff member in that area. I would have addressed the number of calls for support and monitored types of support requested. I would have also attended meetings with senior Trusts representatives. Raised awareness by providing public presentations GPs, Fundraisers, Trust personnel, PSNI etc. I learned how to conduct public awareness and to motivate staff. The importance of good interpersonal skills and working as a good team player and been aware of boundaries. The hardest part of the job that it did entails some anti-sociable hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing a good innovative service for people with dementia like the 'dementia cafe's' which impacted in a positive way for staff when the had a tangible service to offer people living with dementia and their family carers.
Pros
pension and health care insurance
Cons
big area millage wise
Rewarding job
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wells8 November 2016
A typical day at work would be, starting at 8.30 am by receiving clients at the door and offering a nice cup of tea.
Start group conversations as well as one-to-one conversations.
Engage clients in games and activities until lunch time.
Serve lunch and help to feed those who displayed difficulties.
Go for a nice walk after lunch and have a nice cup of tea with biscuits on our way back.
Say goodbye to the clients at 4.30 pm and talk to their carers about any concern that may have risen.
Write a daily report about clients activities on the day with relevant feedback to improve clients well-being at the center.
Discuss with manager and coworkers any concern I had and listen to others. Give ideas for next day activities and ways to improve the care of our clients.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Salary
Wouldn't advise it
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  England29 January 2018
A company that has gradually been losing its focus mainly due to poor leadership and weak management. No obvious job progression and an unwillingness to invest in their staff. A culture where the 'top' has virtually no understanding/interest in what the 'bottom' does! The future looks bleak for this organisation.
A role with a purpose
Snr Project Manager/ Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London Tower Bridge12 September 2017
I work with complete autonomy and plan a portfolio of projects whilst ensuring the business analysis and requirements are also effective. The company has a very important agenda and thus the culture is one of ensuring that our contribution adds value to meet the objectives.
What i like most is the work life balance of working remotely whilst still maintaining effective communication and the autonomy to make decisions on projects, whilst supporting the stakeholders. In addition I am usually busy. The most difficult part is sometimes having to rely on the actions of others to progress some parts of the projects but that is project life and it just means I have to handle challenges, which is not an issue for me.
Pros
Remote working
Cons
Long journey and long day when you have to travel to the office
Stressful, constantly changing
Policy Officer (Former Employee) –  London7 October 2016
There is a lack of strategy, and poor management leading to constant feelings of uncertainty.

Colleagues are generally nice, but management is challenging and difficult.

I learnt a lot about public policy and had some good development opportunities.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Location, stressful atmosphere
Terrible company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kent26 February 2017
Awful place to work. Management gave zero support. No job prospects, poor salary. Felt sorry for the clients. Most support services have now been closed.
Fun and productive to work with excellent charity.
Fundraiser & Dementia Friend Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chester-le-Street2 February 2018
Lovely friendly staff and team great people and charity to work for. Plenty of activities and projects to do. Myself being unemployed find it hard when having to travel far distances and making it to fundraising meetings.
Pros
freindly staff.
Cons
hard to travel to far distances.
Enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
During work experience I thoroughly enjoyed my time. The environment was relaxed and friendly, where everyone got along. Management were also very kind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alzheimer's Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Alzheimer's Society Reviews by Location