Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

Appauling Management Structure
Dementia Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Poole29 December 2018
I loved working for the alzheimer's society; it was a lovely job and i really felt like i was making a positive difference to the people i was supporting. Unfortunately, the management structure is a joke and i will be truthfully honest and say that it is formed of a continuous string of incompetent people, who were all very chummy and kept each other afloat in their roles. Noone of a senior position seemed to have any backbone or any genuine concern for the service users and they did not address matters of concern regarding poor performance with team members and complaints raised against management (and trust me there were many). Their interests lay in safeguarding their jobs, within which they did absolutely nothing. Also i'm afraid money was wasted continuously and simply thrown down the drain, yet not utilised where it should have been to actually make a positive difference. As a result, i now refuse to donate to this charity, even though i feel very strongly about the cause.
however the day to day job was fantastic and thoroughly rewarding and the work/life balance was the best i have ever had; left on time without question, full lunch breaks etc and a casual attitude to day to day roles and responsibilities.
Pros
work/life balance, rewarding role
Cons
Incompetent Management and seeing charity money being wasted
Flexible working
Snr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 January 2019
Flexible working is positive

Management issues require resolution

Promotions and how roles are allocated and to whom need to be reviewed

Career Pathway should be introduced

Cliques need to stop and more professional environment based on personal and group achievements and productivity
Pros
Home working
Cons
Poor management
Nice atmosphere, work colleagues and supportive Manager
Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 August 2018
A typical day is supporting Service Users suffering from Alzheimers and Dementia with personal care, feeding, personal care, writing , listening to music, games , talking and listening to Service Users. Encouragement.
Management is fantastic and it is a support, understanding and encouraging. Enjoyable place to work.
The job is enjoyable and rewarding as I am making a positive difference in the Service User`s lives.
Pros
Good salary. Nice workplace.
Committed and varied Charity
Administrative Assistant (Voluntary, Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
This is an excellent company to work for in the Charity sphere.

A typical day in the Fundraising department is busy, varied and demands high standards. Workplace culture is relaxed and mature. You are trusted to get on with achieving results in your own way without micro management. Diversity is represented and there is a very good culture of listening.
Pros
well appointed City offices, free beverages
Cons
as with all Fundraising, what we do now is not apparent in the short term
work
Dementia Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands5 September 2018
ok company, found the work boring, but the company benefits are really good and look after the employee, management could be better. work and home life balance
I worked independently with others to fundraise
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Essex20 August 2018
I didn't work directly under the company I was a volunteer to help fundraise(like many others) so a cure could be found for Alzheimer's because I believe in the work they do.
Does not nurture development
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  London4 February 2019
Over worked and under paid for the jobs in hand, management are inexperienced and focus on policy rather than the people behind that. a fantastic cause with an excuiting strategy but the staff turnover is an indication of the deep rooted flaws within the company.
Great people to work for
Business Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  Nationwide7 February 2019
Worked for a year - great management, and a real focus upon support people affected by dementia. Great work / life balance encouraged.

Would recommend to anyone.
great cause
regional community fundraising manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire7 September 2018
a fantastic society but not flexible in working and management styles and processes are out of touch. no governance in terms of impact to processes or outcome. A real knee jerk environment with very little cross team interaction.
Pros
great cause
Cons
flexible working not available enough. no processes or governance
A bugger's muddle
Dementia Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alzheimer's Society22 August 2018
The work we do to support people affected by Dementia is outstanding and we pull together as a team. However, the whole organisation is shambolic, contradictory and hostile towards workers. We are described as "experts" by our CEO but we are certainly not paid to be.
Pros
Lovely work colleagues
Cons
Underpaid, insecure contracts
alzheimers group
ARTS AND CRAFTS VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  wales19 September 2018
the arts and crafts group was my get up and go every week. I loved the staff there but mostly the service users, it was and still is y passion, I lost my nan through this dreadful illness and it pains me every day.

So to see the work that everyone does to help the service users is amazing. I wish I could get a job within the society but I never see one available . its a shame as I truly believe its where my heart lies.

its about giving something back or paying it forward what ever way we see it , they need us.
Lovely job but tricky management
Dementia Adviser (Former Employee) –  Guildford1 August 2018
Lovely job supporting those with Dementia and their families but job was often under threat of being pulled due to lack of secure funding. The team were really nice, however, too many levels of management
Wouldn't advise it
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  England29 January 2018
A company that has gradually been losing its focus mainly due to poor leadership and weak management. No obvious job progression and an unwillingness to invest in their staff. A culture where the 'top' has virtually no understanding/interest in what the 'bottom' does! The future looks bleak for this organisation.
Rewarding but repetitive.
Customer Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 September 2018
The day started exactly at 9am as this is the time when the phones would ring through. The team was 6 assistants, 2 managers and one overall manager. The team was split into 2.
The job was quite repetitive with data entry, answering phone calls and answering emails.
Pros
Stuck to work hours
Cons
Clicky
A role with a purpose
Snr Project Manager/ Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London Tower Bridge12 September 2017
I work with complete autonomy and plan a portfolio of projects whilst ensuring the business analysis and requirements are also effective. The company has a very important agenda and thus the culture is one of ensuring that our contribution adds value to meet the objectives.
What i like most is the work life balance of working remotely whilst still maintaining effective communication and the autonomy to make decisions on projects, whilst supporting the stakeholders. In addition I am usually busy. The most difficult part is sometimes having to rely on the actions of others to progress some parts of the projects but that is project life and it just means I have to handle challenges, which is not an issue for me.
Pros
Remote working
Cons
Long journey and long day when you have to travel to the office
Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable
Events (Former Employee) –  Fenchurch Street11 August 2018
My 'manager' did not have much input as to what I had to do. The team was pretty much a mess. Gossiping seemed to be the main thing there.

Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable but as a newbie it is hard
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
People
Productive workplace
Data analyst volunteer (Former Employee) –  43-44 Crutched Friars, London EC3N 2AE22 August 2018
Everyone is very respectful and friendly. Workplace is clean and spacious, with some great areas to relax and take breaks. Guidance and training was excellent.
Pros
Good area with lots of food options nearby
Inspiring.
Voluntary Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham14 May 2018
As a volunteer, I was expecting a welcome, however, the welcome I received was far greater than my expectations, in the short time I have volunteered with The Alzheimers Society I have always been treated with the greatest respect and have been made to feel appreciated. Volunteering in itself is a reward, however, I cannot thank the Alzheimer's Society enough for being such an amazing Society to volunteer with.
Challenging and exciting
Support Service Manager (Former Employee) –  South & West Northern Ireland14 October 2012
It was an extremely demanding and challenging role.
Daily I would have traveled to a different office to support the key staff member in that area. I would have addressed the number of calls for support and monitored types of support requested. I would have also attended meetings with senior Trusts representatives. Raised awareness by providing public presentations GPs, Fundraisers, Trust personnel, PSNI etc. I learned how to conduct public awareness and to motivate staff. The importance of good interpersonal skills and working as a good team player and been aware of boundaries. The hardest part of the job that it did entails some anti-sociable hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing a good innovative service for people with dementia like the 'dementia cafe's' which impacted in a positive way for staff when the had a tangible service to offer people living with dementia and their family carers.
Pros
pension and health care insurance
Cons
big area millage wise
Enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
During work experience I thoroughly enjoyed my time. The environment was relaxed and friendly, where everyone got along. Management were also very kind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alzheimer's Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Alzheimer's Society Reviews by Location