Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

Wouldn't advise it
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  England29 January 2018
A company that has gradually been losing its focus mainly due to poor leadership and weak management. No obvious job progression and an unwillingness to invest in their staff. A culture where the 'top' has virtually no understanding/interest in what the 'bottom' does! The future looks bleak for this organisation.
Enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
During work experience I thoroughly enjoyed my time. The environment was relaxed and friendly, where everyone got along. Management were also very kind.
Wonderful place to work
Locality Administrator (Former Employee) –  Belfast10 January 2018
The people are passionate, the managers are keen for people to develop, learn and grow, the training is second to none and the colleagues are all so friendly and supportive of one another. Great cause, great environment.
Productive and friendly atmosphere
Volunteering (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 December 2017
Great place to work and I thoroughly enjoy working in the Alzheimer's Society because it is a productive and friendly atmosphere. I've learnt many new office skills, help with general office duties.
Always supportive of their workers
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford26 November 2017
Traveling between clients, in and around Bedford,
I learnt patience, and gained some good friends who supported each other.
I didn’t consider it had a hard part of the job, each client to visit was different in their needs, and the most enjoyable part was actually being with them, making them laugh, and leaving them in a good mood.
A role with a purpose
Snr Project Manager/ Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London Tower Bridge12 September 2017
I work with complete autonomy and plan a portfolio of projects whilst ensuring the business analysis and requirements are also effective. The company has a very important agenda and thus the culture is one of ensuring that our contribution adds value to meet the objectives.
What i like most is the work life balance of working remotely whilst still maintaining effective communication and the autonomy to make decisions on projects, whilst supporting the stakeholders. In addition I am usually busy. The most difficult part is sometimes having to rely on the actions of others to progress some parts of the projects but that is project life and it just means I have to handle challenges, which is not an issue for me.
Pros
Remote working
Cons
Long journey and long day when you have to travel to the office
Support (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire9 September 2017
Best place I've worked at and great team of staff wish there was more job prospects to move up into lots of great skills gained from all the training
Pros
Office closes for xmas
Cons
Face fits culture
excellent training and support
Dementia Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancashire23 August 2017
excellent training, peer support encouraged, good communicattion and regular meetings. not very much flexibility in working hours and most positions are fixed term contracts which does not provide security.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
fixed term contracts
Pretty good
Support Services Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Stokesley3 August 2017
I enjoy working for this organisation, have a great team and manager. For my personal preferences, the job isn't fast paced enough but I'm sure it would suit some people fine. The job is extremely varied but usually easy going. Some times there is a lack of communication between head office and the local offices. My biggest issue is the lack of progression. Hourly rate is good but work is generally part-time with few opportunities for promotion.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Lack of progression
Charity
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire; Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin18 July 2017
Three months induction with lots to learn i.e. many modules on dementia; data protection; safeguarding; CRS (database); etc. and ongoing learning with various courses to attend. Staff are encouraged to attend a Welcome Day in London which is very informative and allows a view of all the departments that form part of the organisation as well as a chance of meeting other members of staff from all over the country.
Pros
Lovely caring people
Troubled culture, poor strategic leadership, services for people with dementia are being outsourced or closed.
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
The Society is currently going through a large change programme and as a result a number of people are embarking on a redundancy programme. The second phase of the change programme commences in the Autumn. The moral dilemma is that job vacancies are still being advertised knowing that in the Autumn a number of positions will be affected by the change programme. So my advice is to check whether the position you are applying for will be affected.
In considering whether voluntary income is well spent on supporting people with dementia you need to look at senior manager salaries for the answer.
Pros
Manager salaries
Cons
"If your face fits approach", unsafe practices endorsed by senior managers, specialisim leads are inexperienced
Hard but rewarding work.
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex9 July 2017
It was a very rewarding role in being able to support people with dementia and their carers.

The staff that I managed were amazing and I was able to retain the team for many years.

We all worked as a team and pulled together.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Being on call eves & weekends
great
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales28 June 2017
fantastic place to work, really willing to help others, so relaxed, lovely people to meet and really supporting staff, fill refreshments, play games, get to know activities.
Cons
need time during week days
Good employer
Dementia Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 June 2017
Great work, working with those affected by dementia in a positive and encouraging environment. However, communication from head office and managers poor.
Pros
Valued work
Cons
Bad communication from head office and managers
Fantastic company to work for
Day Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Stokesley9 June 2017
Have been employed by the society for just over a year now, I love my role. The training I have had is excellent. Management are fantastic and very approachable.
Pros
Every member of staff I have met have been so friendly.
Cons
Paperwork
I loved working here!
Memory Cafe Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale3 June 2017
I attended three memory cafes a month to help set out and improve engagement of the service users and their carers. It was a nice, laid-back environment so I felt comfortable talking to people and helping them engage with the activities. The other members of the team were lovely and welcoming.
Pros
Free staff meals
Amateurish company with poor calibre of staff
Society worker (Former Employee) –  London12 May 2017
Poor salaries, weak management, unresponsive personnel team, and constant mistakes with pay. The Society relies enormously on workers paying for their own travel to clients' homes, reimbursing expenses on a monthly basis when staff submit claim forms with receipts. I suspect the Society would not survive as a charity if it weren't for the staff's generosity and forgiveness. Some leave because the unreliability of the organisation causes them great financial inconvenience. The expenses and pay mistakes leave people, already on low wages and short-term contracts (with pay increases per year of only 1% if they are kept on beyond the end of the financial year, which is RARE) thoroughly broke - some clocking up around £150 in expenses per month. You would assume they could, like most employers, offer an interest free season ticket loan, or an imprest, but no. Volunteers are much relied upon and there are some good volunteer officers in the company. But the downside is there is little leadership for those officers, few 'thank you' events for volunteers, and most volunteers are not actively encouraged to claim their travel expenses. As for management - it is hard to know what is happening. A new strategy was put forward this year and staff on all levels were to offer their thoughts, but in reality it was a fait accompli - everything was decided before staff could comment, even the colourful pop styling for the corporate identity, intended to attract the youth of today: designs which were a simplistic answer that showed little insight or imagination. An embarrassing aspect of the new  more... strategy was political bias. The strategy was named the New Deal on Dementia, revealing the Leadership team's allegiance to the Conservative party, borrowing the name of the party's historic back to work scheme for young people. As an inclusive Society for all, political language such as this should have been put to one side and especially in light of the Conservative government's swingeing cuts to disability benefits and the introduction of the Bedroom Tax. This bias will not attract London donors who might more readily support Alzheimer's Research UK. Communication is also a huge problem across the Society. Every month staff receive a teleconference announcement from the Leadership team which they listen in to by way of a dial-in system. But they listen. They do not participate. It is more of an old fashioned radio speech than a forum. Staff are not encouraged to offer their views and everything is very top-down. Overall, staff are generally dedicated and hard working. But as salaries are low and job security negligible, unfortunately the quality of candidates applying for roles seems to be rather below average for the graduate workforce, which is not good in terms of efficiency. Some posts require several attempts at recruitment as candidates are unsuitable. Even so, there is a 'make do' attitude and the best of the weak candidates get recruited anyway. Often I wonder if the Society could operate with a smaller workforce of more talented staff, with more staff rewards. I have regularly witnessed colleagues whose mother tongue is English struggle with basic English, which has been awkward at times and does not give a professional impression to service users. Clumsy language in letter correspondence is the last thing a recently diagnosed person can contend with - it comes across as insensitive, thoughtless and disrespectful. Had my family received such letters, I would have posted any such letter back with an acerbic complaint to show I was no mug, dementia or not. My impression is that staff on the whole have the best of intentions and are good-hearted, but the main issues are weak leadership, few staff rights and benefits, and a weak grasp of quality control as the organisation has grown at a fast rate. No one knows who is who. After several years at the Society by the time I left I did not know who the different heads of departments are as staff are not encouraged to talk to each other beyond their immediate teams or loacalities.  less
Pros
You can help people in need.
Cons
Disorganised and politically biased, with little quality control.
Make a difference everyday
Dementia Action Alliance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, UK13 April 2017
One of the most enjoyable working experiences that I've had: fantastic job satisfaction; fantastic colleagues; met inspiring people.

You'll do well to find all of this combined anywhere else.
Pros
job satisfaction, fantastic colleagues
Cons
tends to be fixed-term contracts, pay is only average
Interactive and fun workplace
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, United Kingdom11 April 2017
Volunteering at the Alzheimer's Society has been a wonderful experience. It has helped me to become emotionally strong and independent. The work environment is very friendly and supportive.
Excellent
Befriender Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire4 April 2017
I learnt how to deal with difficult situations, improving my communication and listening skills. I felt that my line manager was approachable and friendly.
Pros
Good working enviroment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alzheimer's Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Alzheimer's Society Reviews by Location