Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

work
Dementia Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands5 September 2018
ok company, found the work boring, but the company benefits are really good and look after the employee, management could be better. work and home life balance
A bugger's muddle
Dementia Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Alzheimer's Society22 August 2018
The work we do to support people affected by Dementia is outstanding and we pull together as a team. However, the whole organisation is shambolic, contradictory and hostile towards workers. We are described as "experts" by our CEO but we are certainly not paid to be.
Pros
Lovely work colleagues
Cons
Underpaid, insecure contracts
Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable
Events (Former Employee) –  Fenchurch Street11 August 2018
My 'manager' did not have much input as to what I had to do. The team was pretty much a mess. Gossiping seemed to be the main thing there.

Could be fun but people are awkward makes you feel uncomfortable but as a newbie it is hard
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
People
Lovely job but tricky management
Dementia Adviser (Former Employee) –  Guildford1 August 2018
Lovely job supporting those with Dementia and their families but job was often under threat of being pulled due to lack of secure funding. The team were really nice, however, too many levels of management
Committed and varied Charity
Administrative Assistant (Voluntary, Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
This is an excellent company to work for in the Charity sphere.

A typical day in the Fundraising department is busy, varied and demands high standards. Workplace culture is relaxed and mature. You are trusted to get on with achieving results in your own way without micro management. Diversity is represented and there is a very good culture of listening.
Pros
well appointed City offices, free beverages
Cons
as with all Fundraising, what we do now is not apparent in the short term
Inspiring.
Voluntary Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham14 May 2018
As a volunteer, I was expecting a welcome, however, the welcome I received was far greater than my expectations, in the short time I have volunteered with The Alzheimers Society I have always been treated with the greatest respect and have been made to feel appreciated. Volunteering in itself is a reward, however, I cannot thank the Alzheimer's Society enough for being such an amazing Society to volunteer with.
Fun and productive to work with excellent charity.
Fundraiser & Dementia Friend Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chester-le-Street2 February 2018
Lovely friendly staff and team great people and charity to work for. Plenty of activities and projects to do. Myself being unemployed find it hard when having to travel far distances and making it to fundraising meetings.
Pros
freindly staff.
Cons
hard to travel to far distances.
Wouldn't advise it
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  England29 January 2018
A company that has gradually been losing its focus mainly due to poor leadership and weak management. No obvious job progression and an unwillingness to invest in their staff. A culture where the 'top' has virtually no understanding/interest in what the 'bottom' does! The future looks bleak for this organisation.
Enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London14 January 2018
During work experience I thoroughly enjoyed my time. The environment was relaxed and friendly, where everyone got along. Management were also very kind.
Wonderful place to work
Locality Administrator (Former Employee) –  Belfast10 January 2018
The people are passionate, the managers are keen for people to develop, learn and grow, the training is second to none and the colleagues are all so friendly and supportive of one another. Great cause, great environment.

Want to know more about Alzheimer's Society?

Ask a question
Productive and friendly atmosphere
Volunteering (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 December 2017
Great place to work and I thoroughly enjoy working in the Alzheimer's Society because it is a productive and friendly atmosphere. I've learnt many new office skills, help with general office duties.
Always supportive of their workers
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford26 November 2017
Traveling between clients, in and around Bedford,
I learnt patience, and gained some good friends who supported each other.
I didn’t consider it had a hard part of the job, each client to visit was different in their needs, and the most enjoyable part was actually being with them, making them laugh, and leaving them in a good mood.
A role with a purpose
Snr Project Manager/ Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  London Tower Bridge12 September 2017
I work with complete autonomy and plan a portfolio of projects whilst ensuring the business analysis and requirements are also effective. The company has a very important agenda and thus the culture is one of ensuring that our contribution adds value to meet the objectives.
What i like most is the work life balance of working remotely whilst still maintaining effective communication and the autonomy to make decisions on projects, whilst supporting the stakeholders. In addition I am usually busy. The most difficult part is sometimes having to rely on the actions of others to progress some parts of the projects but that is project life and it just means I have to handle challenges, which is not an issue for me.
Pros
Remote working
Cons
Long journey and long day when you have to travel to the office
Support (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire9 September 2017
Best place I've worked at and great team of staff wish there was more job prospects to move up into lots of great skills gained from all the training
Pros
Office closes for xmas
Cons
Face fits culture
excellent training and support
Dementia Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancashire23 August 2017
excellent training, peer support encouraged, good communicattion and regular meetings. not very much flexibility in working hours and most positions are fixed term contracts which does not provide security.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
fixed term contracts
Pretty good
Support Services Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Stokesley3 August 2017
I enjoy working for this organisation, have a great team and manager. For my personal preferences, the job isn't fast paced enough but I'm sure it would suit some people fine. The job is extremely varied but usually easy going. Some times there is a lack of communication between head office and the local offices. My biggest issue is the lack of progression. Hourly rate is good but work is generally part-time with few opportunities for promotion.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Lack of progression
Charity
Locality Administrator (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire; Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin18 July 2017
Three months induction with lots to learn i.e. many modules on dementia; data protection; safeguarding; CRS (database); etc. and ongoing learning with various courses to attend. Staff are encouraged to attend a Welcome Day in London which is very informative and allows a view of all the departments that form part of the organisation as well as a chance of meeting other members of staff from all over the country.
Pros
Lovely caring people
Troubled culture, poor strategic leadership, services for people with dementia are being outsourced or closed.
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2017
The Society is currently going through a large change programme and as a result a number of people are embarking on a redundancy programme. The second phase of the change programme commences in the Autumn. The moral dilemma is that job vacancies are still being advertised knowing that in the Autumn a number of positions will be affected by the change programme. So my advice is to check whether the position you are applying for will be affected.
In considering whether voluntary income is well spent on supporting people with dementia you need to look at senior manager salaries for the answer.
Pros
Manager salaries
Cons
"If your face fits approach", unsafe practices endorsed by senior managers, specialisim leads are inexperienced
Hard but rewarding work.
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex9 July 2017
It was a very rewarding role in being able to support people with dementia and their carers.

The staff that I managed were amazing and I was able to retain the team for many years.

We all worked as a team and pulled together.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Being on call eves & weekends
great
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales28 June 2017
fantastic place to work, really willing to help others, so relaxed, lovely people to meet and really supporting staff, fill refreshments, play games, get to know activities.
Cons
need time during week days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alzheimer's Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Alzheimer's Society Reviews by Location