Alzheimer's Society

Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews

United Kingdom116 reviews
enjoyed supporting the clients I met and their families/carers
I had the opportunity to engage in various roles with the company. I enjoyed my time in all of them
Managing the volunteers

Liaising with relevant professionals to support the client and working in hospital to access some patients for referral for services.
Under managed
Under managed, blindsided, unprofessional. Could go unnoticed and lacked any job satisfaction or career building opportunities. On the whole staff are very dedicated.
Pros
Relaxed and caring
Cons
Not valued
No day is the same.
Good company to work for. Excellent training opportunities. This is a charity which help many people who have different types of Dementia. Would recommend this company to work for.
Supportive Employer
Great at supporting staff in training. Good working conditions and fair pay. Opportunity to advance if desired. I enjoyed my time working for Alzheimer's Society.
Workplace Culture
The overall ethos of the society is to support people living with dementia and their families as well as fund research and raise awareness. What they do is fab and the money is well spent - although I think the New Deal on Dementia needs a little more work to be involved more at community level
Very nice people to work with
Organisation is very big so you get to mingle with a lot of people, interactive mostly in the mornings around the kitchen area as we share views of work, social life and other family issues.
The organisation cared for people with Dementia they are very passionate about that, I learned a lot through them of people suffering from this illness.

Culture is more or less good.

The hardest part of my work is year end as we get audited and I will have to manage work flow and also deal with the auditors

The most enjoyable is spending social time with my colleagues on evening out after hard days job.
Challenging but rewarding
Great place to work! Everyday is different so brings variety to the role and allows for community engagement and relationship building. Lovely team of people to work with!
Unable to review
The service I was employed in was unable to renew lottery funding and I was told within the second week of my employment that the service was closing. I was most unhappy.
Lovely role providing advice to people who were going through a diagnosis or are living with a Dementia and their family’s
I really enjoyed this role and was bitterly disappointed at being made redundant due to withdrawal of funding. I had already had a lot of training and awareness during my time at social services. It was challenging at times having that difficult conversation about the diagnosis and future challenges for the service user, family and friends.
Poor organisation to work for
Poor senior management who seem completely out of touch with those of us in face to face roles. Over- complicated reporting system, often requiring repetition when completing CRS. My six months was a shambles. Having worked in more complicated and demanding roles, this should've been a breeze!
Pros
Cons
Lovely to work
I enjoyed working very rewarding helping to support people and families.It was great to get along with the team and management hours was fine I really enjoyed working along side them all .
Great Place to work
Challenging but fun. Lots of ways to get involved. They have come a long way in the 9 years I have worked there. Exciting times ahead. Would recommend.
good work place and lovely team
have worked in and out due to funding yearly changing, its a shame funding is never permanent .

They are a good ambassador for those with dementia and their families.

good training and learning development and management have always been caring and aware of staff emotional needs
Poor management and organizational direction
Unskilled and unsupportive managers. The organisation is overtly driven by a series of values. Poor desk share arrangement. Poor tenure of employment. Many employees disagree with the direction the organisation is heading in. Poor connectivity to crucial IT systems.
Volunteer
I volunteered to help out with cognitive behaviour therapy sessions. I really enjoyed talking to the service users and helping them with the tasks.
Travel expenses are paid.
Great work-life balance, poor progression
I worked at Alzheimer's Society for a little over a year and found it a great place to work. I worked on a regional level in Communications and was well connected to colleagues across the UK.

There were weekly catch-ups over the phone with my line manager with a monthly face to face. The salary was well paid for the level of role and the flexibility of work was incredibly generous.

The main issue was the lack of job progression - be it salary and/or the role itself. This affected the overall UK-wide team as it would be rare for someone at 'officer' level to stay for longer than 1-2 years max, with many moving on due to many of those in comms, public affairs and policy wanting to progress and hopping to other charities and organisations that had senior positions.
Rewarding work
I enjoying working as a dementia advisor. I was lucky to have two great managers and supportive team.

There was interesting and challenging work helping to support people living with dementia and their carers.

I enjoyed outreach work at GP surgeries and participation in group work to support clients and carers.
Productive and a fun environment
A typical day for me would be compiling data on to spreadsheets and aiding the manager in payroll processes. I would also be a key contact for all enquiries.
Workplace
A caring environment, led by thoughtful staff with a calm and client centred approach. A caring approach to practical problems, with staff trained to address both practical needs and the emotional well being of those attending.
Fast passed but enjoyable
A typical day at work I answer calls, take off voice mails and make call backs, respond to emails. I also assist on the helpline and make referrals. signposting to other services.
Productive and satifyi
working with a great team trying to make people with Dementias lives more fun. Also support for carers
Innovative work singing and playing music in various venues across Dorset.