Altran

Altran Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews
I learned lots of new skills through this company and thoroughly enjoyed my time working for this company. Very good chain of command and training objectives.
Demotivated staff, disengaged management, low pay, no training, no career prospects. Expected to work extra hours for free. No strategy, no direction. I could go on. This is an exceptionally miserable place to work and staff are leaving at an escalating pace. The human resource function is highly incompetent. I would not recommend Altran at all. In fact, I feel like standing outside the offices with a sandwich board warning any future employees of the doom that awaits them. I've never met the CEO, but the managing director of Altran UK is pretty useless.
No structured job specification. Miscummunicated if any was made. Was nearly made to wait 11 weeks for a wage. Told 2 out of 5 to be given new contract and 3 were kept as somebody's Visa was due to run out
Everybody who works here is super intelligent and very motivated. The work is extremely interesting, more so if you are a software engineer. Great opportunities to travel and achieve great things.
Pros
Right in the centre of Bath
Cons
Iis a goal oriented environment with a lot of interesting problems to solve in support of mainstream development. The people were focussed and good company. I found it to be mostly a happy and inclusive work environment that thrived on difficult technical challenges.
Pros
flexi-time, trust, occasional remote working
Cons
The only reason I can see why this company gets contracts is because they are cheap - and it shows in how consultants are treated: like disposable pieces of meat. Contracts are dishonest and will be used against you to make you resign by yourself the minute it all goes wrong. Management is distant and indifferent. Roles are bureaucratic and will make you wonder why you bothered studying engineering at all. Atmosphere is friendly only because there is mutual pitying between most consultants - the ones that don't are out to use you. I started there full of hopes and dreams, and ended up on my knees, burnt out and miserable. AVOID at all costs.
A company with a very high staff attrition rate compared to its competitors and slow growth. If you are a young engineer it is a good place to start your career (2 years) to gain wide ranging experience in a relatively short time frame. Some good clients and some relatively interesting projects if you are starting out. Working environment and culture very much depends on what area of the company you join. Relatively low level complexity work in the main depending on what area of the company you join.
Pros
Some good clients
Cons
Poor benefits and investment in staff
Consultant Manufacturing Engineer (investigation into cost of concession to reduction)
Investigating current costs of concessions to proposing changes to procedures of methods of manufacture and assembly, Propose method to validate and define project scopes the objectives to preparing listing project budgets to benefits indicating key performance indicators validates preliminary business costs of benefits and risks.
An excellent way to learn to work within a team but also to work independently and learn how to organise ourselves.
I really enjoy to work there, and really enjoy to express myself and to manage my work as I want to.
A typical day at work consisted of keeping on top of digging your way out of the hole that your had been dumped in.

The management were little more than manipulative, self-serving, back slapping, exploitative slave-drivers.

Co-workers were little more than manipulative, self-serving, arrogant little so-and-so's.

The hardest part of the job was sticking with it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was walking out and never coming back.
Pros
Permanent job, flexibility, opportunity to work with presigious client
Cons
Relatively low pay, out of touch elitist executive culture, poor internal communication from management, endemic sycophancy and cronyism at local team manager / team leader level, constantly being sold down the river / rug pulled out under your feet, left feeling much to be desired
I have been at Altran "Intelligent Systems" division (formerly Praxis High Integrity Systems, Bath, UK) for 6 years. They are the developers of the SPARK computer language, which is a safety/integrity-enhanced version of Ada and therefore probably the "safest" and highest integrity programming language in the world. For the last 6 years I've written SPARK code for the UK's air traffic control toolset (iFACTS) and the experience was amazing, the team spirit and camaraderie were second to none. The hardest part of the job was probably keeping up with the rest of the incredibly high-powered technical staff, which was arguably the most enjoyable bit too. The safety culture is second to none, with a heavy emphasis on "getting it right" in a no-blame environment where everyone is encouraged and helped to succeed.
Unfortunately heavy dependence on a few big clients makes the business somewhat fragile, which is why my CV is posted here now.
Pros
In the centre of Bath, development of complex safety-critical systems
Cons
Heavy dependence on a few clients, hence uncertain future.
A niche company like Altran Xype can always be interesting to work for. They had some trouble transforming themselves from a small company to a larger concern, but that was improving with assistance from Altran, the parent company.
Pros
Generous Pay, Very smart colleagues
Cons
Having growing pains as they expand