ALTERNATIVE FUTURES GROUP Employee Reviews

Not a good company to work for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Uk13 April 2019
Senior management are disconnected from support staff. Very out of touch. Recently took hourly pay rate off support staff for sleep ins when no other company has. Work life balance is terrible. Treated as a number, not a person
Pros
Nice to get out and about
Cons
Long hours, pay is abysmal
Personally I wouldn’t go back
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnley21 February 2019
They push you too do all your training within the first 6 months then extend probation for a petty reason to try and keep u there get a load of abuse by management get in to work they send you to a different service that u don’t know
Pros
The smile on clients faces
Cons
Untrustworthy and do not care about staff.
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale13 January 2019
In my opinion AFG management do not care about employees and pay barely minimum wage. I know that the work is in many ways vocational, however AFG do not have any ethics about their staff. My personal advice is to not sign anything unless you are 100% sure you want to work here, as there are many better employers in the care industry out there.

It took nearly 10 weeks from offer of employment to start date and was charged when forced elsewhere.

Be warned!!
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Employer and wages
Horrible culture for staff! Two faced and cliquey.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire12 January 2019
The service users are wonderful to support, that’s why we do this job!
But the staff are nasty, unprofessional and 2 faced.
It’s just not worth it.
It’s top heavy with management and they make out they are a charity but all they care about is getting bums on beds. Never again.
Pros
Lovely service users
Cons
Vile management
Awful management
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster8 December 2018
To avoid. The managment is preatty bad and byased you've got no life outside work and you are treated unfair while others are protected even if they do mistakes only because they are friends with the boss. The code of conduct doesnt apply to everyone apparently
Okay company
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester Central, Greater Manchester5 December 2018
Afg are a good company to work for and provide training and courses to encourage growth and career progression. There are opportunities to engage with different service users and build positive working relationships.
Pros
Building relationships with different service users
Cons
Can be mentally draining at times
Horrible, discrimination, bullying
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside28 November 2018
Management are bullies. Horrible company to work for. They don't care about staff only what you can do for them. No support. Feel sorry for the service users as the company couldn't care less as long as the money is coming in. Promise you qualifications and chance of career progression. That's a blantent lie. I worked for the company for three years. I asked and asked when can I do my nvq as promised at interview. They just fob you off. The support workers do their best but management and above let us down. Glad i got out of there. Please don't work for this company. Too much stress and responsibility for minimum wage. I work for a different company now and I can not believe the difference. Made me realise how unprofessional, neglectful and incompetant afg really are. The service I was in should really be shut down.
Pros
Service users and fellow support workers
Cons
Everything else, embarrassed that I ever worked for them
Steer Clear
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winsford, Cheshire28 November 2018
Terrible Company to work for. Very money orientated and will use every opportunity to take money from Staff. Never pay the correct wages or travel allowance and I really think it's done purposely in the hope you don't notice. Charge for uniform after your first tunic and trousers, charge for mobile phone even though it's for their benefit and you're using your electricity to charge it every night. Constant hounding from office staff to do overtime even when on holiday. Really don't care about the Service Users and will send anybody to them, no constant faces to Dementia patients and really don't care about the Staff which is why they have a high staff turnover.
Pros
Cons
Drive you to a breakdown
Unprofessional
Support Worker (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire28 November 2018
I declined an offer, 2 team leaders interview in Costa, they hadn't even read my application, scary lack of professionalism. Avoid! Zero communication.
They offered the job before interview was finished, I declined by email, they didn't respond. Then emailed to say I was unsuccessful. It goes on and on. They've already lost a big contract and I've seen better companies than this continue to fail until gone.
Pros
Polite
Cons
Unprofessional
Not a bad job
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cheshire3 November 2018
AFG is an ok company to work for. Some house are run well, some are not. Always ask about who lives there and their needs. Some mangers are the best, others, id be careful of. Each to their own!
Staff, and clients make this job.
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Wirral7 October 2018
A typical day, consists of looking after services users, ensuring they can live their best life, although management can get in the way of this. Due to a lack of. Some of the harder days you can be confronted with very challenging individuals. Staff and clients. Although the next day can be the polar opposite. It’s a very personally rewarding job. Seeing the impact you make on a clients life, is a reward in its self.
Pros
Days out, with clients. It’s a very rewarding environment.
Cons
Unsociable hours.
great team work.
support worker/social organiser (Former Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside17 July 2018
I do not wish to work at alternative futures group.However,on the whole,during almost 20 years I worked with some great team members and some not so good.
I feel I had and still have an innate sense of duty of care to all the friends I have done my best to support over my time there.If I was to describe the most difficult part of my job there,it would have to be having to deal with a few individual employees ,who,in my opinion were entirely unsuitable to be employed in the service..
Pros
job satisfaction.
Cons
workplace bullying
work is good
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool17 December 2017
It is always engaging to come to work. There are so many activities do to make the service users to have a fulfilled day.

I have had training on medication administration, fire and safety, Drug and Alcohol for Mental Health, Food administration, leadership at work, Team building.

we have a good workplace culture that help us work together to achieve corporate goal of the service. Culture and diversity issues are considered across the group and also tackle any forms of discrimination, adhering to equality and diversity procedures.

I am able to support the clients/groups needs, and contribute as directed to the delivery their agreed outcomes. I have the ability to implementing security systems, ensuring overall safety and security of the scheme. Enforce the requirements of health and safety policies and practices. possess the ability in effectively dealing with anti-social behaviour. Maintain high standards of cleanliness within schemes, preparation of rooms and site inspections. Effective recording of information including adding updates to the Support database. Ability to implement policies and procedures to ensure effective service delivery. Promote and encourage a high level of client involvement, consultation and communication.

Best effort can be truncate by client not willing accept guideline set to achieve set goals.
Pros
management styles
Support worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Burnley Lancashire28 November 2017
Providing good care and support for the clients with the company offering on going and up to date training for all employees - .working individually or as part of a team the company ensure you are always up to date with all the required training
Awful money making company
Support worker (Former Employee) –  St helens24 February 2017
I was the longest serving employee in afg 25 yrs.... I was there before any houses were opened up, we started off on £4 in 25 yrs the pay has gone up to £7.20 and also gone down once.AFG makes out that service uses come first but over the years the most important thing to managers is what looks good on paper,they leave you in very vulnerable posisitions with sometimes only one staff on and when you ring on call in middle of night even if a person needs to go hospital nobody is available to help. Managers do not listen to support workers and some look down on you and are very unapproachable the pay is discusting for the excellent caring work that support workers do. I have very fond memories of people I have supported but not of afg or managers all they are bothered about is making money. They try to tell new staff how things have improved for the people we support but in reality they've gone backwards. I would not ever recommend working for af and so glad I've finally left
Pros
Cons
Bad company
A good place to work
suport worker (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 December 2016
Is rteally a good company to work for as a support worker. Staff were nice and management really do care about the staff team. The hours were ok and have
no issues at all .
Good
Cons
Normal
different
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Prescott merseyside22 November 2015
working as an individual or in a team to enable our client to benefit from having support workers assist him to enable him to live in the community and experiencing life to the full
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
changes in polices
its a good job but a very selfish company.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackburn with Darwen, ENG18 June 2015
It a hard job and staffing hours are cut regularly,
the service users are not well matched with other service users and tend to make eachother angry.
You don't receive enough training and its not appropriate when youre working within a service that needs special training,
There is no overtime pay and no benefits.
wages are regularly messed up and if you are on the casual register they tend to cancel your shifts without telling you.
I love my job but this is not the best company to work for especially when it used to be an amazing company when it was nhs before privatisation.
Also I wouldn't recommend if you are young as nobody takes you seriously.
Management are rubbish your complaints are not handled appropriately and they tend to have no experience in the job so they aren't effective in team meetings especially when they are never in services enough to know what is going on.
staff tend to be very cliquey and can be really harsh and backstabbing.
Pros
the service users are fab
Cons
the company dont care
Nice company to work for
Contingency Recruitment Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Prescot2 April 2015
I worked for AFG for almost 12 years and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Given the chance I would have stayed in my role but it was not too be but still they are a very supportive and fair organisation to work for.

The training provided is excellent.

Co-workers are great and there is a good balance between work and fun.
Varying work situations
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire27 January 2015
Support Worker. Supporting the vulnerable within their home to live and safe and fulfilled lifestyle. Help them with personal care, keeping a clean and safe home, looking after finances, to become part of their community, liaise with family and social peers on their behalf. Being able to keep to routine whilst also being able to adapt at a moments notice is paramount to this job role. I work within a team with excellent communication both verbally and written, keep paperwork filed and up to date and make sure certain information is kept confidential. I am currently working towards completing my NVQ level 2 in Health and Social Care, due to complete February 2012.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALTERNATIVE FUTURES GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9