Allied Bakeries Employee Reviews

Culturally A mix of Reactive and short term goals and blame culture
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow10 April 2018
Good salaries but poor culture and management direction. as a company they operate in a tough environment and this has led to a blame culture mentality, particularly at the Glasgow site. Managers are rewarded and recognized for their willingness to stand over front line employees at all hours of the day and night. Driving reactive work is much more valued than cultural and systems improvements.
The overarching company culture is very much lowest cost. Consequently the consumer is regarded as only price sensitive so the quality of ingredients and processes are secondary to low costs. It is my belief that ultimately this will cost the company.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Blame culture, no work life balance and reactive skills highly valued
18 December 2018

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to read that you didn’t have a great experience with us at Allied Bakeries. We’re committed that each of our Bakeries is a great place to work, and with that in mind we’re looking back over the feedback that you and others have posted online and these will be noted and will form part of our own internal review process. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

productive workplace
MAINTENANCE HANDYMAN (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff3 September 2018
the jobs are okay but it suffers from poor management in all departments longd hours and it gets very hot in the summer pay is probably the best part there
Pros
nothing
14 January 2019

Hi there, its Jess here, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear about your experience. That said, we are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. If you would like to discuss further please send an email to jess.pointer@alliedbakeries.co.uk. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Good
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Orpington7 January 2019
Nice company to work for lots of work large firm lots of opportunities within the company plenty of help and advice from the management nice to work for
14 January 2019

Hi there – great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, we really appreciate your feedback. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Production
Manufacturing operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent28 May 2018
Working on the shop floor, from prep room to the mixer and slicers, the shifts are terrible, if you’ve got some kind of life forget about it because you won’t be able to do anything working there. Loads of weekend work. My Flm was a sound bloke but other management were clueless, they thought they knew best but in reality they didn’t have a clue, too busy sat in the offices.
Pros
Lots of breaks
Cons
Long hours, nights, weekend work
18 December 2018

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m sorry to read that you didn’t have a great experience at Allied Bakeries. We’re committed that each of our Bakeries is a great place to work, and with that in mind we’re looking back over the feedback that you and others have posted online and will be looking into the issues you’ve raised. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

hard working
Lorry driver (Former Employee) –  London14 November 2018
a good working place but this depends what are you looking for.for me it was ok i worked here for 3 years and i leaved cause i moved outside london. should try
Pros
short hours
Cons
good management

They don’t care
Driver (Former Employee) –  Opington29 September 2018
In the interview, You have to do a mathematical , English and written test , But none of this matters when the management don’t care about you , They make you work through your break to get the job done
Pros
Cons
Many
14 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our employees feedback and we are disappointed to hear about some of your experiences with us. We are continuously working hard to make improvements and would really like to understand what happened in this occasion. Please send an email to jess.pointer@alliedbakeries.co.uk so we can discuss further. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Job was alright
Despatch Operative (Former Employee) –  Gateshead15 July 2018
The job was alright, the management team in the other hand is a disgrace. Double standards are a normal thing and everyone gets treat differently depending on whose got the brownest toungue
Pros
Enjoyable job
Cons
Constant night shift. No life
14 January 2019

Hi. I’m really sorry to hear you didn’t have a great time here at Allied Bakeries. We’re genuinely committed to colleagues here having the chance to be happy and fulfilled in their work – that being the case, I’m looking back over feedback people have left and am looking into the issues that have been raised. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner

productive job smart company
Despatch Operative (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, UK10 December 2018
I have been working 6 years for Allied Bakery. The job helped me to gain new experience. The company invest for their employees, I had the opportunity to be trained. Very nice environment.
14 January 2019

Hello – thanks for sharing this. It’s always great to hear good things about life here at Allied Bakeries. I’ll pass your comments on! Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Slow to move up
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire19 December 2018
Seems to arrived at a stalemate, depends d ing far too much on graduates, does not have progression plans for current process work operatives. Always seems to be a follower not a leader anymore.
Pros
Self managed
Cons
Lots of inexperience in important roles
14 January 2019

Hi, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear about some of the problems you were faced with when you were with us and that didn’t work well in your experience. We understand training and development is very important in all areas of the business and encourage employees to always speak with their managers in the first instance to discuss any requirements or career goals. That said, we are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Terrible management
Hygiene Technician (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands11 April 2018
The job is fine...the management team couldn't run a bath!
Certain people that work there seem to get away with poor standards...poor working ethics.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Communting is a nightmare....inflexible managers...long hours.
18 December 2018

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our employees feedback and we are disappointed to hear about your experience you have had with our bakeries. We are continuously working hard in this area and are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

I was lied to
Bakery Operative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire12 July 2018
I applied for the role as a bakery operative, coming into the job I already had 10+ years experience in baking yet I found myself put straight onto the dispatch team watching bread being sliced and bagged up. You effectively stand there for 12 hours occasional changing the bags over and sweeping up mostly. I was told on my interview that you get moved round every half an hour to change things up yet that was never the case. It's hot even for me a (baker) everyone is miserable and it's impossible to hear anyone as it's so loud on the factory floor. Basically I was miss sold the job.
Pros
Break every 2 hours (roughly)
Cons
Everything else
18 December 2018

Hello. I’m sorry to read that you didn’t have a great experience at Allied Bakeries. We’re committed that each of our Bakeries is a great place to work, and with that in mind we’re looking back over the feedback that you and your comments will be noted and will form part of our own internal review process. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

not good
despatch operative (Former Employee) –  orpington8 November 2018
very disjointed different manangers and teams for different shifts if you get on with one team the other is very hard to work with not a good expierience atol would not reccommend working for this company
Pros
Cons
everything
14 January 2019

Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really value your feedback. We accept that more can be done and are working on ways to ensure that our employees experiences within this area improve in the future. Your comments will be taken on board and form a part of own internal review process. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

good place to work, horrible shifts
Despatch Front Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Belfast11 May 2018
great place to work, staff are great get a long with everybody and have rose up through the ranks. only issue is shifts 2 weeks days then 2 weeks nights including working every other weekend.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
night shift and work every other weekend
18 December 2018

Hi there – great to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

n/a
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London3 September 2018
Allied Bakeries have nive and kind of polite managers but the works are very nice people to get know and you can have a laugh , liked working there till they stopped giving me work and changing the shifts around and blaming the agency i was with.
14 January 2019

Hi there, its Jess here, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m glad to hear you had some good experiences with us . I am really disappointed to hear about the agency and shift changes. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 April 2018
I enjoy my job at allied bakeries. It's at a good location. The hardest part of the job is that I work a nightshift long 12 hours. Other then that I enjoying working there.

fun workplace
Shift Manager / Planner (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim7 March 2018
I started as an ATM on the batch bread and within 2 months the company had brought in a new system and machinery to make more and better quality pancakes. I then got my chance into management helping to develop the new process. my days were 12 hour shifts consisting off days and nights on a rota basis.
Pros
developoment was excellent
Cons
shift work
18 December 2018

Great supportive company who strive to help people with potential
LGV 1 Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodley11 January 2014
My time here was life changing as I took up roles and gained training and experience in roles that had never interested me at all. Training and funding seemed to readily available for the right candidates.
Management were very understanding and supportive.
fellow employees were from all different cultures and backgrounds and all seemed to work as one big happy family supporting each others departments.
Pros
Good salary, support, training, management
Cons
Sometimes unsociable hours
You'll get on if your face fits
PA to Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  North West26 July 2018
Weak Managment, whoever shouts the loudest gets their way.
Most enjoyable part of the day is clocking off, thats why theres a queue in the corridor 15minutes before end of shift
14 January 2019

Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really value your feedback. We are working on ways to ensure that our employees experiences within this area improve in the future. Your comments will be taken on board and form a part of own internal review process. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Best place I've ever worked. HGV Class 2 driver
HGV Class 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire2 January 2018
From the moment I walked in the door I was made to feel really welcome. Every single person I've met has been really friendly and helped me out. I got my job through the agency on a temp to Perm basis and I had only just passed my test. They sent me out with other drivers and on my own in a company car to review the route I was going to be taking on. There was no being thrown in at the deep end and every effort was made to look after me. I feel really lucky to have found such a nice place to work. The pay is good for the area and although the starts are early (2am for me) I am used to the hours as I was a Baker before this job. Full PPE is provided once you get taken on permanently and the vehicles are very well maintained by a brilliant VMU. Management are approachable and open to suggestions. My route used to start at 3am but I asked for an earlier window and was granted it as they realised it made sense. Didn't matter that I was a newbie driver they still listened.
If you get a chance to work here, take it.
Pros
Good pay, good managers, friendly environment, good hours, cheap bread.
13 December 2018

Despatch
Despatch Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk14 June 2018
Was a good place to work and you get chances to improve and move up the ladder and will give you the training needed to accomplish your goala with the company
Pros
4 day week
Cons
Weekend working
18 December 2018

Hi there, it's Jess here, – great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, we really appreciate your feedback. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allied Bakeries. Our community is ready to answer.