Allied Bakeries
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Allied Bakeries Employee Reviews

United Kingdom165 reviews
Multi-drop routes were getting too many calls put on them so they could take vehicles off the road to save money. Pressure to hit time windows and achieve so called peak torque targets. Every vehicle was a bit different in terms of how your driving style is supposed to save fuel. With some it was easy and others virtually impossible. Vehicles regularly breaking down.
Extra calls sometimes placed on you that are well out of your way because they couldn't fit them on the regular driver's vehicle.

Management were dishing out disciplinaries to drivers with relish at one point. Particularly one vindictive manager.

Drivers were cutting corners by taking working breaks to get the route completed on time - something that can of course cost you your license if you get caught. Management know that this is happening and are if anything encouraging it.

Sent out on routes with no training often resulted in a long and stressful day. Get back late and interrogated about late deliveries and 'peak-torque' when they already know you've been sent out 'blind'.

The salary is good but not as good as it used to be since working more hours for the same amount is tantamount to a pay-cut.
Pros
competetive salary, flexible hours
Cons
Long shifts. Beaureaucratic management. Unrealistic targets. Job not secure
A good company to work for, good pay rates and it is very employee focused. The company does expect the best from it's employees but it will always provide training.
Health & Safety is high on the management profile.

The company has good disiplinary proceedures in place and always treats employees fairly and with dignity.
Pros
Sallery, holidays, health & safety, diversity, support
Cons
Some shifts can be long 12hrs and it is a 24hr operation
Managers don't have a clue.

Jobs s doddle, multi drop, not many shops. Vans half empty.

Easy job. Slow pace, nice and relaxed.

Plenty training when needed
Pros
Easy, relaxed, good pay
Cons
Awful managers
Constantly picking on drivers, Bad attitude from Management have not got a clue how to treat workers , Should be getting orders to put bread into shops not trying to tell professional drivers how to do there jobs, IE its all about driving styles to justify their jobs to headoffice. Management at headoffice should be looking into how this joke of this depot is being run.
Pros
Cons
Bad Managment
A real see-saw of competent and incompetent management on site. GM's style slightly autocratic. Unions are useless. Staff generally paid well for 4on/off shift; on-site training is questionable. Bit of a blame culture .
Pros
Location and Pay
Cons
Site Management
Thank you for reading this is my honest review. I'm happy working here but I think it would depend on what team you're on. I'm lucky I have a nice manager. It's by no means perfect but is anywhere? You have good and bad days and night shifts are hard for me personally but the pros outweigh the cons and I wouldn't want to look elsewhere anytime soon. The pay is good in my opinion and its 4 on 4 off so makes for a good work/life balance.
Pros
Pay, generous breaks/holidays, 4 days off
Cons
Night shifts
nice place to work if you dont mind night shifts and long hours, but the wages are quite high and team is very friendly. management gives you overtime if you ask for it.
Pros
free breakfast once a week
Cons
They dont look after their employees and treat them like dirt, the pay is good but the hours are long and grueling and you are expected work in 30+ degree heat wearing full ppe for 12 hours a day
No-one cares about the lack of training provided for new starters or agency workers.
It is true a busy environment but this is not an excuse for bullying and many others forms of psychological abuse.

Management has no will to help in solving the issues.
Allied was a great place to work , the people are what made it for me .
People commited their life to this business was challenfing with change but also came through on top.

Top people top place to work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Allied Bakeries?
I only worked for Allied Bakeries for around 4 months due to a Depot Relocation. The Depot I worked at had a great team of drivers but unfortunately only a couple of permanent staff in the warehouse, the rest supplied by agency. So it was difficult to create a culture with staff changing regularly. That being said, the site at Cardiff was great and the HR team was extremely supportive.
Prior to being employed by Allied bakeries I had been laid off by other companies on numerous occasions. In this employment I have enjoyed 35 years of job security. Many faces have changed over the years, including those of junior and senior managers, their styles of leadership change but never to the point where I could not contemplate remaining in their employment.
My second job at allied, as was made redundant from a customer service roll. O was invited to go back after 18months as logistics admin. Unfortunately i am being made redundant in April.
The runs were ok and you could get back on time but are now unachievable without working through breaks which isn’t good. Driver tracking and performance can be hard to master and you are required to explain why you haven’t driven to the company standard. Salary ok but doesn’t reflect the work you do or the really unsociable hours you do. Trucks are always breaking down and morale is low.low. Some of the management
27 February 2020
Hi there, its Jess here, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear that you found the driver tracking and performance challenging and that didn’t work well in your experience. That said, we are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
The job itself is not to bad, it's a few select people on the management team that are out to make life hard for no reason than because they can, not all the managers are horrible, some of them are helpful, but 1 or 2 have a chip on their shoulders.
27 February 2020
Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really value your feedback. Your comments will be taken on board and form a part of own internal review process. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
Where do I start 😁😁😁 outdated factory , needs massive investment, bone idol management they do not lift a finger at all for 12 hours and the FLM you see at the start of your shift and at the end of your shift god knows what they do in between, the work is massively labour intensive you’ll be lucky not to need elbow replacements after six months the factory’s filthy dirty , the don’t replace the tins often enough and you have to bang the bread out and this can be quite an ordeal as it’s a constant production line , my view is stay well clear
27 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our employees feedback and we are disappointed to hear about your experiences. We are continuously working hard in this area and would really like to understand what happened in this occasion. Please send an email to jess.pointer@alliedbakeries.co.uk so we can discuss further.
The short version of this story.I got a call to help a young woman who had broken down got the lorry back to yard"I lost my job and I'm now homeless!.
Pros
Non
Cons
Do not put your self out for this company.
27 February 2020
Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We really value our employees feedback and we are disappointed to hear that this happened. I have contacted the local team and who are unaware of this incident. We would really like to understand what happened in this occasion. Please send an email to jess.pointer@alliedbakeries.co.uk so we can discuss further.
worked there for many years the place is not like it used to be now very fast paced there is a blame culture now the pay is very good work life balance is excellent the shifts are 12 hours and that's quite long
27 February 2020
Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really value your feedback. Its good to hear that you had a good work life balance you that you believe the pay is good. Your comments will be taken on board and form a part of own internal review process. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner
Management is a joke.
They change your rota at the drop of a hat, while union rep is on a 4 day week with every weekend off and still gets paid as the guys doing a 6 on 2 off.

Getting phone calls at all hours interrupting your rest period.
27 February 2020
Hi there, its Jess here, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on life at Allied Bakeries. I’m really disappointed to hear that its not working well in your experience. We are genuinely committed to being a great employer and take your comments seriously – I’ll pick up with the local team to look into what you’ve said. Regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
I was there for 9 months and found it a good place to work with great support fro management. Flexible company in terms of swapping shifts, rotating role etc...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shift rotation
27 February 2020
Hi there – great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, we really appreciate your feedback. Best regards, Jess, HR Business Partner.
Slave labour
. Doing the same back breaking job all day ..

Very repetative job.

Stay well clear . And if your on a agency expect to get treated like nothing
27 February 2020
Hello its Jess, thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really value your feedback. We accept that more can be done and are working on ways to ensure that our employees experiences within this area improve in the future. Your comments will be taken on board and form a part of own internal review process. Thanks, Jess
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allied Bakeries. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9