Allen & Overy
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Allen & Overy Employee Reviews

United Kingdom49 reviews
It was challenging but learnt lots of new skills within the team. Enjoyed being part of a large leading law firm. Learnt how to work to deadlines and ensure the team worked together efficiently. Assisted all areas of the company with technical issues and training so gained excellent customer service skills.
You will gain great experience and knowledge here. Free gym, 25 days holiday, pension, private medical and life insurance. Salaries are below competitive firms. Long hours, stressful and not much work life balance. People are friendly and helpful. There is a massive divide between fee earners and support staff. Old school views. Diversity is an issue with gender and pay.
Highly recommended and a great place to work! Great team and environment.
Plenty of variety in projects given. there is a lot of out of hours work needed to deliver projects but this is understandable due to the nature of the business
Pros
friendly people, nice office
Cons
alot of OOH work
Unfortunately I can't recommend A&O. Started well but quickly resulted in a heavy overtime job, I managed multiple projects which I accomplished 100% with no room for progression. I still view A&O as a Stepford Wives firm, everyone smiles and are polite but there is an undertone that didn't sit well with me.
Loved working at A&O and it had great benefits too. It was a very fast paced and high pressure environment but I learned a lot there. The team was very friendly and there was good development opportunities.
Pros
paid sick pay and other childcare benefits
Cons
Busy and demanding environment whilst remaining fun and friendly. Lovely office locations and constructive, professional approach to people management.
A typical day at work would be quite busy and would keep you occupied. I learnt a lot about working for an international firm and what that entails. The benefits here are second to none.
Pros
Free gym, restaurant and bar on site
Cons
A&O is a fantastic organisation with extensive benefits available to support wellbeing and support around training and development.

As a high performing culture it can be pressurised and busy but the firm works hard to ensure employees are fairly rewarded.
Pros
Benefits and training
Cons
Broader opportunities across business support groups.
-Managing a team of 40 housekeepers, to ensure 11 floors building is clean to the highest standards on a nightly basis.
-I learned how to manage large teams of people.

-Work ethics are high, managers work hard and require the same form the operatives

-The hardest job is to manage staff levels, recruitment process is slow and time consuming. It is hard to find balance work/life when working nights.

-Most enjoyable part is getting positive feed back from management and clients.
The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with Clients globally Negotiating and renegotiating tasks and monitoring and agreeing changes to deadlines.
Pros
Excellent company to work for
Cons
no cons
Allen and Overy is a nice place to work - they treat their employees with respect, the salary and reward is good and the workforce are very diverse but enjoyable to work with.

The only con is that there is not much opportunity for progression.
There was great scope for job development in this law firm, perhaps surprisingly for a law firm. A PA for one Partner and several associates, the Partner entrusted to me tasks such as improving her office environment, making contact with old contacts and clients after a period of absence, and tackling the decade-old backlog of unfiled emails and the boxes left unopened after an office move. I tried to create an efficient but warm and friendly working environment and endeavoured to spread this throughout the team I worked for. I enjoyed understanding something of the cases my Partner worked on and, therefore, being in a stronger position to coordinate work and deadlines with other associates, paralegals and PAs working on those cases. At my instigation, some legal 'training' was given to our team of PAs to enable us to work more autonomously and to be of more use.
It was a firm that valued and nurtured artistic talents too which helped bring the different departments together and added a richness to our jobs and working relationships. It taught me that we need to be well-rounded in order to perform to our maximum.

It was an all-round wonderful experience.
Pros
The canteen
Cons
Journey time
I worked at Allen & Overy for a short period on a temporary contract but I enjoyed the experience. I was impressed with the level of training and management.
It was a very friendly but demanding place to work with a sincere sign of developing ones career.
The management structure is great and you can see yourself working your way to the top.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Many chains of command
A good place to work and people are good to work with. Lots of oppourtunities, New skills are learned and a happy culture enviroment. Managers are grounded people
Very brilliant company, open and honest allow you to grow and develop. Working with very high standard caliber of people and colleagues. Nothing negative to say all positive.
Pros
everything
Cons
Would never want to do a project here again. Disjointed, dont listen to stakeholders and were carrying out a major program without consulting regional offices
Pros
Gym
Cons
Managers
Law firm based in central London covering all aspects of legal services.
Head office in London with 30 international offices.

My last role was Team Leader looking after the practice support team of 17 staff
Pros
Excellent company benefits
Cons
Too many courses
Very supportive employers. I was lucky to work in a fantastic and friendly team. Great benefits and lovely offices to work in. Great work life balance for the support staff.
a full day but always backup if needed.
a real city culture

management are firm but fair

great culture

great benefits private health pension restaurants and bars

Gym on sight free of charge

Doctors and physio on site