ALDI Employee Reviews

Found 1,001 reviews matching the search See all 4,536 reviews
Lake of Training if required by employees
Trainee Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire23 August 2018
If an employee is struggling in certain areas Aldi give them 3 chances to get it right without offering extra training. The management are only about saving on money
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management and training
Stressful but good money
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 August 2018
it’s very difficult to have a good life balance as the rota s are always different. If you have children it’s not easy to find childcare with a job like this.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No balance between family life and work q
If you want to earn money, but only have money... This is the place
Picker (Current Employee) –  Bolton22 August 2018
A typical day would include picking products with a headset, using a truck. You get assessed on your performance with a pick rate. The higher the better. Also, accuracy. The lower your errors the better.
The job can be physically demanding due to heavy items and long hours and is not for the faint hearted.
If you want to progress, it can be easy if you have certain personality traits. The most valued is that of brown-nosing. If you are nice to management who are constantly taking advantage of you (basically walking over you) you will go far. The snitch also seems to go far in the Aldi Management system, so I would recommend working on you're snitching skills if you want to progress.
Aside from the pay the best thing about the job in my view is the people, more specifically the workers. i have made some good friends and their is usually a good atmosphere amongst us.
The best thing perk about working at Aldi IMO is the pay, as a general unskilled workier I am on £14 an hour. I don't think you can find anything neark this scale of pay in such a job. Furthermore the fact you have no life in this job enables you to save bare ££££.
Pros
Good money, can be flexible if a good worker
Cons
No work life balance, look for the wrong qualities in management
Overall good
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham21 August 2018
You have to have willingness to work hard and focus on targets aswell as speed and accuracy within Aldi. With opportunity’s for promotions this is a perfect role for a fully flexible individual.
Negative Place
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire20 August 2018
its a job that could once justify its work requirements, on arriving over 4 years ago the principle was that you get payed one and a half peoples wage for doing 2 peoples jobs. This did not follow when minimum wage was raised and in my experience at a store which was taking between 1or2/3rd more than it was built to take, the workload often became unreasonable, no work environment nor any regards for personal life if you were young and didn't have a child. Overall its a job that taught me a lot but i will not miss it. In my earlier years of working there, legalities would often be looked over.
Pros
Never bored
Cons
Too many
Productive hard working work place
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch, Leicestershire20 August 2018
You will have to work at a very fast paced level both on day and night shifts. It is very physically demanding when doing deliveries and the shifts are mixed between night and day which makes it difficult to maintain a healthy sleeping pattern.
Management is good and the team is very close, you will have fun with other team members.
Pros
good wage
Cons
physically and mentally draining
nice busy place with lot of work
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire17 August 2018
The whole application process is a joke! And to be told you have the job and then emailed that you haven’t is ridiculous.

All I can say for future individuals applying for Aldi, is not to believe everything you are told by the regional and assistant managers as it is lies. Not only this if you do manage to get to the process of a store experience. I personally wouldn’t drive as you will get a parking ticket and it takes forever to sort it out (not sure if mine is still sorted.
Pros
work work work..!
Cons
not work again
Great pay, terrible work life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 August 2018
Fantastic pay, though you are contracted to work 48 hours a week, you;ll have to work 60+ to hit you KPI's and if you don;t your job is threatened! It has made more resilient and efficient in my role!
Pros
Pay
Cons
a militant threatening environment, no time for life!
Long application process to get the job and be told that I had the job to than be emailed after the store experience that I was unsuccessful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 August 2018
Having passed the group assessment, maths test and one-to-one interview. I was practically told that I had the job, I just needed to see if the job was right for me through the attendance of a store experience (lasting two hours).

However, after the completion of the store experience I was than emailed to say that I was unsuccessful. And that I wasn’t even worthy of any feedback to why I wasn’t successful at this stage due to the large volume of applications... I found this to be ridiculous considering that I had travelled to the Mapperley Aldi three times, and worked for two hours. And they couldn’t even spare five minutes of there time to provide me with some feedback...

In addition to this I got a parking ticket as I was over the 2 hour time limit on my store experience day. Consequently, this meant that I had to travel to the store on another two occasions to try and sort the issue out! And I am still not sure if they have even bothered to sort it!!!

It’s a real shame that I wasted my valuable time in applying and progressing through the application stages. I do not understand why the application process is so long and why you are expected to work for free for 2 hours... Afterall the job is a retail assistant and this role isn’t hard/ doesn’t take long to learn and adopt to!!!

I will not be applying for any other future job roles with Aldi, as I believe the company is a joke. The regional manager and store staff when I was present put
  more... on an unrealistic/ untrue performance and lied to my face. To then disregard me by not providing me any feedback, and taking forever to sort my parking ticket.

If that’s how they treat their potential future employees, I believe I had a Lucky escape... as it seemed like most staff was back stabbing which isn’t a working environment I would want to work in.

All I can say for future individuals applying for Aldi, is not to believe everything you are told by the regional and assistant managers as it is lies. Not only this if you do manage to get to the process of a store experience. I personally wouldn’t drive as you will get a parking ticket and it takes forever to sort it out (not sure if mine is still sorted).

This experience was sitatued at the Mapperley Aldi, so hopefully this is a segregated negative experience from other Aldi stores. Just be very sceptical of the application process, and if they say you have the job don’t invest to much time into this/ believing you have until you sign the paperwork....
Pros
Fast working environment
Cons
Management are contradictive......
No work life balance
N/A (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire8 August 2018
Money is tempting, but you are worked like animals, the management system is poor. Mangers look at what they have achieved and give no thanks to those who work hard!
DOG EAT DOG
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Not for the lazy or faint-hearted
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgend8 August 2018
Aldi is not for the faint-hearted. On a typical day you are go, go, go. There were never enough hours in the day or people on a shift. Most of the time there was good team work and I would be wrong to say it was all bad. I enjoyed it for a long time. But an inexperienced Area manager with no people skills changed that coupled with a Manager who was constantly trying to shift blame and cover his back.
Pros
Fast paced, salary, good teamwork
Cons
Long days, never enough people on shift, area managers could bring morale down in seconds
Bad Job Culture
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 August 2018
Bullying, unreal demands, confusing instructions, very poor management, schedule changing without asking which results on your private life enormously...one of the worst working experiences ever
Pros
Paid brake
Cons
Often you even not get a brake, manipulations on clock in/clock out data
Productive, hard work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 August 2018
The company is good to work for if you're willing, you'll always be doing something and won't ever have an easy shift, the employees are all friendly and work well together if everyone is willing to work hard.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Hard work
Physically demanding role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln26 July 2018
Eventually the main job roles of sitting at tills, working deliveries and moving pallets can, and often do, lead to low-back problems, and the flexible shifts affect work/life balance.
Great company
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria24 July 2018
In the 4+ years i have been with ALDI there has only been 1 bad manager. The company as a whole tries to keep everyone happy and does a questionaire each year to see what they need to work on.
Pros
Great pay and good contracts
Cons
Customers
Easy enough job. Difficult to progress.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Risca, Caerphilly18 July 2018
Good job, lovely people to work with, met some friends who I still stay in contact with. However it became very apparent that there was absolutely 0 chance of any sort of career improvement unless you gave management a very *special* few minutes of your time (or if you work there for 10 years straight, only to be a store assistant manager.)
Pros
Lovely staff, easy work
Cons
Strange management. No discounts as Aldi think their food is cheap enough.
Productive and great workplace
Loader (Former Employee) –  South Marston17 July 2018
Typical day at work was fun but busy.
The management was fair to their employees. I learned a lot of new things for example: using electric pallet truck, loading lorries
Varied, Fast- Paced Role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria16 July 2018
This is a very varied and fast-paced role which makes this the ideal supermarket job if you get bored doing the same thing everyday and need more autonomy.

The benefits and salary are very good and performance reviews have been improved. The company itself have invested in its employees and the effort made by them overall shows.

The thing that ruins this is the tyrant middle management, unrealistic targets and lack of compassion or care for employees and staff turnover or professional development.

The work life balance is usually poor as you work irregular shift patterns.
Pros
Salary, varied, fast -pased
Cons
irregular shift patterns, poor management, uncompassionate and lack of E.I.
Good employer
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham16 July 2018
Good range of work different from the normal HGV Driver job.
Every day is not the same goog pay and working conditions working clothes supplied.
5 weeks Holiday.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hrs
Fantastic teamwork
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby16 July 2018
ALDI is a brilliant company to work for, they really take care of their staff. The job can be challenging at times and physically draining but the team work easily makes the shifts fly by.

I cannot stress enough about the amazing team work at ALDI stores, everybody has the same training and knows exactly how things should be and how tough a long shift can be there was always a lot of respect for each other.

Management were always understanding and would do their best to provide a reasonable solution to any issues that would arise and were always ready to roll up their sleeves should the occasion call for it.

The most enjoyable park of the job was helping customers in store, ALDI staff are well trained and knowledgeable about their company, store and products.

Date checks were probably my least favourite part of the job, it was not difficult, just tedious.

Given the chance I would happily work for this company again.
Pros
Managers were extremely helpful and undertanding
Cons
Physically draining shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K