ALDI Employee Reviews

Found 933 reviews matching the search See all 4,136 reviews
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands9 June 2018
- Internal progression
- Hard work is rewarded and highly encouraged
- Friendly coworkers that have created a very good culture within the store
- The hardest part is having to contend with customers whilst sticking to time related targets
Not a good workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom8 June 2018
Working only 4 hours a day with a lot of stress from managers who them self just stand around or sweep the floor. Long weeks to get all the few hours on our contracts if we getting our contracted hours, meanwhile they take in extra staff.
No balance between work life and privet life.
The employer are sexist and treat woman and man very different. If you are a woman you more likely to sit on a till then a man.
Unfair treatment towards staff, manager talking bad about staff behind there back.
Very often you don't get payed for all the hours you actually worked.
You are told to not go to the toilet when you sit on a till.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad managment
They want their pound of flesh
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 June 2018
Long long hours, nights and weekends with very little outside support. No work life balance and very little time to see family. A very brown nose culture
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, unfair upper managment
Awful
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands7 June 2018
Recruitment process took forever. No feedback regarding how did you do... Aldi pay you well... yes.. On their website they will worn you that job is tough however you cannot imagine how hard it is. I am in my 20, and I was struggling physically with this job my legs, back, neck even wrists was in pain constantly. You don't have when to catch a breath. If you stuck on main till you are struggling to even go to the toilet. Aldi will push you behind your limits. I do feel sorry for all the people which are still working there...
Pros
paid break
Cons
everything else
Nice People, Clever retailing
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Liskeard7 June 2018
Unfortunately although friendly Aldi has a rigid management system which stifles individuality and creativity. If you want an unthinking steady job in a good environment this is it. Huge difference in pay between Deputy Manager and Assistant Manager.
Pros
Friendly Growing Company
Cons
Pay and Rota doesnot Rotate !
Working for Aldi Melksham.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melksham, Wiltshire5 June 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Aldi as I got to interact with customers and learnt how to work in a fast paced environment. However the managers of the establishment often came across very rude and I felt discriminated against due to my age.
Pros
paid breaks, good salary
Cons
rude managers, long hours
Long hours, very rude customers, but good pay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 June 2018
I have been a Store Assistant in Aldi for 5 years and I would say it is a very friendly place to work. Typically you do both work on the shopfloor and the tills which can sometimes be intense because by the time you get to your till, at least one customer will ask you something on the way. Everything is targeted, from how long you have to spend working on a pallet (different sections have different targets) to how many items per hour you need to scan on the till. A big problem is lack of staff, especially after they built more Aldi stores. Some of the managers are hired straight for the manager position and do not know many essencial aspects of the job, but do not accept feedback from their team very well. Because Aldi is a discount supermarket, a lot of the customers would act rudely to the staff, try to cut corners and argue; cashiers have to be wary of things hidden under baby buggies, trolleys and baskets, ask if bags customers use are new or old (because in Aldi, as in many other stores, you have to pay for bags, DUH!!!), put their trolleys the right way so that they can just slide the products in and not hold the ques which can be massive. We often have to call the security as people don't understand it is part of the job to ask them certain things, some take it personally and make a scene. I just wish they were more understandinng of the whole work process and stop giving us attitude and look down on us. I get stereotyped a lot because I am Eastern European and have an accent. On the other hand, pay is very good, increasing with time spent in the company, there is room  more... for progression, there is favoritism though, overtime opportunities, and close-knit team!  less
Pros
paid holiday, friendly colleagues, good pay, transparency
Cons
customers with no manners, understaffed at times
Not good
Retail Store Assistant and PAM (Current Employee) –  Cheshire3 June 2018
Poor place to work , poor customer service, rush the staff around and forget about the customers, management are young inexperienced and they don't care as long as they meet their KPI's, Staff retention poor because of the poor training up the chain, sad to see as the products are good and Aldi is a good company on the ground for customers to make savings on their monthly shop, but aside from that, it's poor all round!
Pros
Higher wage
Cons
No outside life balance
Good Atmosphere in work
Store Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kent1 June 2018
Always striving for better and with a positive attitude and outlook on set targets and goals and ways to attain such
well balanced amount of ethnicity
Too much expected
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Aigburth, Merseyside28 May 2018
Aldi has a mentality of everything has to be sacrificed for the store to run. Work to home life is terrible in my experience. The staff are what makes any Aldi store good. Aldi grew too quickly and hired far too much outside management. Now Aldi is in a position of having to backtrack and need to get rid of about 60 salaried management
Great pay with good management.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross28 May 2018
I worked at Aldi for over a year as a Store Assistant, a typical days work would never have you sitting around bored, you always had something to do and keep you busy, you are worked hard but you are compensated by the good pay.

Everyone chipped in to help each other and the team environment was one of the main reasons I enjoyed my time at Aldi. You can approach any of the managers with an issue and they will do their best to help, I found if I ever needed help with a problem or help with a personnel issue, a manger was on hand to listen.

Work life balance was the most difficult part of the job, sometimes finishing quite late and the days off between your work days can sometime be only one day.
Pros
Teamwork, good management, pay
Cons
Work life balance can be tough
Management were rude and disrespectful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon26 May 2018
Some managers were kind and helpful but were let down by the rest who were disrespectful. I enjoyed working there at the start but gradually got more irritated by the rudeness shown to all the staff
Money is good
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atherstone26 May 2018
Money is good. Staff are friendly and helpful. Hours are long and you have to log on and off when needing the restroom during work time. Lunch time food ie snacks, sandwiches soups, availavle at same price as the shop.
Pros
Money
Cons
Timed for going to the toilet
Horrible management and unrealistic targets
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bretton North22 May 2018
Apprenticeship. treated like you should put any outside problems outside of work and leave them. Can’t bring any emotional stress into work as management don’t give a toss about you or your feelings. Work is so hard and pressured me into meeting targets when after 3 months I wasn’t hitting them, not my fault they sat me on till for 2 months straight.

Management is so poor and a lot are so unfriendly. If I didn’t need the job would have left before and only been there 6 months, don’t recommend at all
Pay is good I must admit but short staffed and having to work your feet off for 8-10 hours straight is exhausting, extremely short breaks too.
Not worth it in my eyes
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks, unfriendly management
very poor
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire20 May 2018
hard work with very little reward, store if run very badly as there are to many managers with diffrent ideas all trying to force thee way and ultimatly ends up messing up and the blame beng passed. the higher management push for more work done and expect no breaks to be taken till its all done (can be anywere from 4-7 hours before a break is recived) all whilst they have very little experiance on the shop floor and dont know how to do the jobs to the standard there ultimatly pushing for there staff to do the same job to
Productive and fun workplace
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire17 May 2018
Hard work, but makes the day go quicker. Great pay, fun staff, always make you have your breaks - which are paid! Staff parking, good training. Looked forward to going to work!
Fast-paced working environment.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester16 May 2018
Well-paid job. Productivity is a priority, meaning that hitting targets set by your store is essential. Days go by fairly quickly as it is a busy environment.
Pros
Paid breaks
Fine for the pay but ultimately not worth it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire15 May 2018
Working at Aldi is extremely hard work, physically and emotionally. The pay is excellent for retail or service work, but this is totally outweighed by robotic management that could not care less about the fact that you're a human being with needs and things to worry about besides work. Very demanding, very stressful. At the beginning, their ethos of high productivity and efficiency (how they keep their prices so low!) seems like a great idea, and it is, but the human cost of this is enormous. Aldi expect the job to be your life, and if you aren't willing to sacrifice your personal life to be fully committed to your job, then you are seen as a lesser human being.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Robotic management
Exciting
all different shifts
sometimes 4 sometimes 10 hours
High Effort, high reward
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire13 May 2018
I've been working for Aldi for 8 months now, at first I want sure I would like it as I never thought I'd go into retail. However its exactly the sort of pace I enjoy. Its almost nonstop, due there are a few times when you can slow down but most stores are fairly fast paced. The stores use smaller teams to get the job done, so there no chance for slacking off. While you do work harder than some other jobs it's reflected in the pay, as of April 2018 I'm in £8.85 an hour that's the lowest a store Assistant is paid, that's regardless of age. For that money you should be going nonstop. The interview is nice and straightforward with them telling you what to expect. After your first interview you go for a trail soft so the store manager can see how well you do and how committed you are to the job. After that if you pass its contract signing. The how recruitment process for me took less than a month from application to starting. And I've lived every minute since
Pros
High pay, close knit group
Cons
Hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K