ALDI Employee Reviews

Awful culture
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shipley, West Yorkshire22 September 2018
Limited progression.
Excellent pay per hour but hours drop in winter.
None visible management
No perks
Bullying
Zero work life balance
Incompetent management
not the greatest
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex21 September 2018
could be managed a lot better didn't really like the way it was run having to work harder to fill in for other people you never got your 3 days off and expected to come in
Pros
free coffie
Cons
people that work there
No Life
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire18 September 2018
Poorly devised Rota's Constantly make you work late nights and weekends, even when you have explained the reason to the manager why you are unable to work late nights and every weekend, there is no compromise, they just say you are working in retail.
Not had one weekend off since I started.
Absolutely useless managers and very arrogant.
Pros
Salary Ok
Cons
No Life and Managers don't care
Very friendly atmosphere
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands18 September 2018
Everyone is very welcoming and helpful. Pay is always received on time and management are very friendly. Lots of benefits and a job which keeps you mentally active.
Pros
Great people, above average salary, lots of benefits
Cons
Extremely poor management and very unfriendly staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire17 September 2018
I am working for the company for just 6 weeks now. The training was very short (had to be three weeks long but was 1 week and a half long) and unprofessional (lots of things were unsaid and after I was accused that I was doing something wrong), while expectations (after the training) are sky high.
Example:you are expected to do the same amount of work (after a few days) as someone who is working there for 5 months.
They (management and management only, I do not blame the company) give you no time to adapt and are always (and I mean always) angry if you don't reach their expectations
Managers will not care that you are still learning and will pressure you so badly that you will consider to leave the job after the first month (if not earlier).
Regarding team members: many are very nice and helpful (mainly new recruits) while others are angry on you all the time, no matter how hard you try or how polite you are towards them.
Pros
Good pay (but it is just not worth it)
Cons
Most shifts are of 10 hours (5 days a week), plus you will not have 2 days off in a row
Productive busy environment
Selector (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire14 September 2018
Good company to work for, provides great facilities for the employees, from the canteen to the changing rooms and toilets.
Aldi gives high expectations on the daily targets, if you are able to meet them at the start of your job, you will have not any issues in the rest of your career in there.
Hard working for this company pays off, and its one of the only distribution centers you will be more worried about getting your job done instead of looking at your watch.
If you are a hard worker, i highly recommend you ALDI
Pros
Salary, facilities, work environment
Cons
Rotation shifts, unset finish times
Well Paid Job With Friendly Staff
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham12 September 2018
It is a fast paced workplace and there is always something to do, it is well paid with great benefits that come along with the job. the hardest part of the job is keeping up with the schedule and trying not to fall behind. all the staff are very friendly and welcoming and it is a great company to work for.
Pros
Double Pay on Bank Holidays and extra 20% pay after 10pm and before 6am
Cons
Long hours with short breaks and Late Finishes
Average
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire11 September 2018
Pay well, but shift pattern and T and Cs are awful. Would not work for them again for double the money, extra unpaid hours before and after every shift are expected
Great working environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex10 September 2018
Aldi is a fast growing company, so there are opportunities to progress. Best Aldi's features:
- "hands on" managers
- very fast phase of working
- friendly environment
- focus on people - looking after people is a priority for creating good working environment.
- approachable management team
The most challenging part of the job are very early shift starts and decisions making under a pressure of time.
Aldi provide a full training on any level and job is very rewarding. It helps you develop your skills and learn your strengths and weaknesses.
Pros
Aldi perks
productive and efficient
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  North West9 September 2018
This is a good company to work for however you are expected to work unsociable hours and long shift, must be very hard working to work here.
I have learnt a lot at this company but there isn't many opportunities to step up your career with them.
management is ok but could be better.
The hardest part of the job is when there isn't enough staff as you are expected to do double the amount of work and it is harder to hit the targets that they give you.
I enjoyed parts of this job however can get very tedious if you are put on a till all day.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Unsociable hours
Not the best employers
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon9 September 2018
This is a great company to work for, if you don't have children or other commitments alongside work. The work/life balance was not great for me, and they were not very accommodating for my childcare situation. However, I have heard that this has now improved since I left the company.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Work/life balance
Can be fun , yes its a productive environment
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich9 September 2018
Shifts are always busy , we are all expected to be trained to work in any area of the store , we have to have a certain till speed after training 1050 items an hour but a higher speed is required
Pros
We get a voucher at Christmas
Cons
When business is slow you can loose shifts
Fast paced retail environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North West3 September 2018
Fast paced well payed job with lots of scope for advancement within a continually growing company.

Job satisfaction guaranteed.

plenty of employee benefits that is always evolving
Not family friendly
Deputy store manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham3 September 2018
Worked for aldi for 7 years the progression plan is a con unless your face fits. Training is next to non. Ypu get a conversation record for breathing. Which is there equivalent to a disciplinary. Get 3 and your out.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Breaks, working 7days straight.
Very fast paced food retail
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire3 September 2018
If you like time to fly by and work like you are in a gym, then this is for you.
They are a super effecient company to work for. When you are not sat at a till then there is ALWAYS something else that needs to be done. Wether it be ridding the shelves of card, cleaning up a spillage,or filling the shelves, to name a few.
Typical shifts are 6-2, 8-4, 10-6, 2-10.30pm depending on store.
Everyone mucks in to get jobs/tasks done. None of this "it is not my department". Even Managers deal with spillages and tills at times.
The pay is fair but you do work hard for it.
The only issue is the shifts. You do get 4 weeks worth of rotas but, shifts are not set days or times. This makes it difficult if your partner works set days/times as you can guarantee they will clash.
Pros
Fair pay, equally treated.
Cons
erratic shifts.
Very fast paced.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria2 September 2018
Although I had read plenty of reviews before I started so I had a good understanding of the position, I wasn't quite prepared for the 4am starts to be at work for 5am. It was a really good position, the staff were friendly and made a shift go quicker but for myself there was no way to push myself further. You had to meet times to get stock out or till read times and keep manual count of a till but after that there was nothing else to do and I needed more from my job. The pay is better than the minimum wage and the shifts are reasonable. Shifts were between 5am-1pm and 1-10pm althought there were a couple of variants these were the main shifts.
Pros
1pm finish, better than minimum wage
Cons
Early starts, poor training, constant pressure
Hard work little benefit
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester1 September 2018
Example: 10 hour shift, 30 mins break. That's it.

It's physically hard work, little room for work/life balance and so much carrot dangling to get you to comply it becomes disheartening ("if you do such-and-such for the next 6 months we'll promote you!" 6 months later "you did well but actually now we need you to do this for 6 months instead.... ") The shift patterns can be grueling and the hours not fixed so wages fluctuate massively month to month.

Is that extra pound an hour worth it? No.
Cons
No staff discount, no general consideration to staff
Good pay/progression. Work like a dog
Assistant manager level (Current Employee) –  Scotland31 August 2018
What you hear isn’t far from the truth. Aldi has become better to be fair. It’s not as bad as it was 5 years ago when I started but it is still very very demanding and offers little time (especially when a salaried member of staff) to spend with friends/family etc.
As an assistant manager and having progressed from the bottom to ASM level in 3 years I can say that I am tired of the job. I am tired of knocking my pan in to only get 20 days holiday. I’m sick of the 5am starts and not finishing until ‘the job is done’ regardless of how BIG the job is (which often means working past 10pm by yourself, nobody else in the store) .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything apart from the pay
Sucks the life out of you
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merseyside30 August 2018
I could go on all day about Aldi being a terrible place to work but I won't. What I will say though if you are a genuinally good person with morals you won't fit in to the culture. Toxic, unhealthy, unrealistic, arrogant staff,the list goes on...completely savage.
I have lost countless nights of sleep from dreading it and faced hirendous depression and lack of interest in anything as a result.
Do yourself a huge favour and don't bother. Especially if u value ur self esteem and happiness over money.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Productive and fast paced.
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire29 August 2018
Very pro active, independent job.
Bad experience with all managers I worked with although the rest of the staff were great.
Pay very well and always lots of hours available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51K