ALDI Employee Reviews

Found 1,048 reviews matching the search See all 4,786 reviews
hard work but can be rewarding
ALDI - STORE ASSISTANT/DEPUTY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire8 January 2019
very good employer as a company, problems include high turnover in upper managment which can slow progression as no consistant managment and high turnover also attributes to bad work life balance
Pros
great salary and teams
Cons
high movment of upper managment
Hard work but can be rewarding. no work life balance. no progression.
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North West28 November 2018
The job itself is easy, its just general retail duties, stack shelves and serve customers. There is no real progression its just a carrot that is dangled down to all employees. Money is not great, its good for supermarket pay but terrible compared to the rest of the job sector. Mangers earn less than the national average of 25k. some difficult managers make the job stressful but if you are lucky enough to not end up with these then the the job is not too bad. no work life balance can be in from 5am or finish at 2am. mixed shifts with days off not together. honestly i would avoid unless you are desperate. at the end of the day its a job and its money coming in. The astronomically high turnover speaks for itself.
Pros
the staff
Cons
too many
productive and fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead26 November 2018
A typical day at Aldi, we start early stocking the shelves this is a fun time. Then at 8 am the store is open and the customers rushing in getting their items and off to the tills and am there to service them fast and effectively, they are happy thanking me and off they go.

I learnt to be fast productive and efficient.

We have an Aldi app where we communicate with each other and we arrange and go for dinner and go for drink some times.
We are kind and friendly with one another.

The hardest part of the job is having to start early like 5 am but once you start you forget about it as it fun to get to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the customers leaving happily and with no complain.

I also made a lot of friends while working at Aldi to the staffs and to the customer many of whom we remains friends up till now.
Pros
Its very cheap
Cons
Sometimes long hours and sometimes too short hours
Not the best employers
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon9 September 2018
This is a great company to work for, if you don't have children or other commitments alongside work. The work/life balance was not great for me, and they were not very accommodating for my childcare situation. However, I have heard that this has now improved since I left the company.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Work/life balance
Aldi rdc
Quality Control Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Bathgate8 January 2019
Knowledgeable and hard working team mates and staff. Very competitive pay structure. Steady and reasonably secure positions in a growing company.

Bad work life balance. Long, unsociable hours.
Pros
Good teamwork ethos
Cons
Work life balance
Negative management and backwards approach.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen31 October 2018
I do not know if the same can be said for every Aldi store but the one I had the displeasure of working in had an extremely incompetent store manager. The store was not fair and not all staff members were treated equally or given an equal chance to improve. For example: I had started in November of 2017 and it took until October of 2018 for me to be trained on using the bailor. Instead of being given opportunities to work in multiple departments I was always placed on the tills. Which I would not have minded had it not been for the fact that I had to meet the store scanning target of 950 items per our on a 10 hour shift... As you can imagine this was quite tiresome and boring.

The highlight of the job was the pay. If you don't mind thing as mentioned above for an above average hourly rate then it probably is worth looking into.
Pros
Higher pay
Cons
Long shifts, no job satisfaction, poor management
poor company
Aldi Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester16 October 2018
Poor management and job advancement. a lot of stress for poor money (for what you have to do) no difference in the roles only the massive pay gap. my advise if you want to move forward in your career look else were becuse no matter how good you are chances of promotion is zero.
If you want to earn money, but only have money... This is the place
Picker (Current Employee) –  Bolton22 August 2018
A typical day would include picking products with a headset, using a truck. You get assessed on your performance with a pick rate. The higher the better. Also, accuracy. The lower your errors the better.
The job can be physically demanding due to heavy items and long hours and is not for the faint hearted.
If you want to progress, it can be easy if you have certain personality traits. The most valued is that of brown-nosing. If you are nice to management who are constantly taking advantage of you (basically walking over you) you will go far. The snitch also seems to go far in the Aldi Management system, so I would recommend working on you're snitching skills if you want to progress.
Aside from the pay the best thing about the job in my view is the people, more specifically the workers. i have made some good friends and their is usually a good atmosphere amongst us.
The best thing perk about working at Aldi IMO is the pay, as a general unskilled workier I am on £14 an hour. I don't think you can find anything neark this scale of pay in such a job. Furthermore the fact you have no life in this job enables you to save bare ££££.
Pros
Good money, can be flexible if a good worker
Cons
No work life balance, look for the wrong qualities in management
Great pay with good management.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross28 May 2018
I worked at Aldi for over a year as a Store Assistant, a typical days work would never have you sitting around bored, you always had something to do and keep you busy, you are worked hard but you are compensated by the good pay.

Everyone chipped in to help each other and the team environment was one of the main reasons I enjoyed my time at Aldi. You can approach any of the managers with an issue and they will do their best to help, I found if I ever needed help with a problem or help with a personnel issue, a manger was on hand to listen.

Work life balance was the most difficult part of the job, sometimes finishing quite late and the days off between your work days can sometime be only one day.
Pros
Teamwork, good management, pay
Cons
Work life balance can be tough
not a good job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands29 September 2018
This company is treats its dyslexic employes realy badly ,the management do not lisen to eney logic and do not care about staff or customers very robotic . do your self a favour don't apply to work here you will be treated like a robot I promise.

this company needs to take a long hard look at who they recruit as managers as they all seem to bring the worst out of people and stranegly they see this as a productive approach ,possable becaued of the very young naive area managers how are fresh out of uni and most have got a clue about retail because they have never done the job at any level so how they can pass judgment is beyond me.

The enjoyable part of this job is clocking out and going home....
Pros
non
Cons
to much fluctuation in hours better being self employed
Easy enough job. Difficult to progress.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Risca, Caerphilly18 July 2018
Good job, lovely people to work with, met some friends who I still stay in contact with. However it became very apparent that there was absolutely 0 chance of any sort of career improvement unless you gave management a very *special* few minutes of your time (or if you work there for 10 years straight, only to be a store assistant manager.)
Pros
Lovely staff, easy work
Cons
Strange management. No discounts as Aldi think their food is cheap enough.
Aldi
Store Apprentice at Aldi (Former Employee) –  Dudley10 November 2018
Typical day as an Apprentice/ Store Assistant is:
Delivery-5am start
Stocking shelves throughout day
Tills - can spend an 8 hour or 10 hour shift on them
Meant to be a 1 hour break but 30 mins is paid so most people just take 30 mins
Carding shelves on an evening
Scanning contents of all waste bins- produce, freezer- not very nice
Cleaning the warehouse
Sorting out specials - wouldn't recommend being on the specials team
Store Manager didn't seem to care & connect with people, however other management of the store, including area manager were lovely.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
10 hour shifts with 5 am starts
Sucks the life out of you
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merseyside30 August 2018
I could go on all day about Aldi being a terrible place to work but I won't. What I will say though if you are a genuinally good person with morals you won't fit in to the culture. Toxic, unhealthy, unrealistic, arrogant staff,the list goes on...completely savage.
I have lost countless nights of sleep from dreading it and faced hirendous depression and lack of interest in anything as a result.
Do yourself a huge favour and don't bother. Especially if u value ur self esteem and happiness over money.
Pros
N/a
Good work
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex21 November 2018
Aldi offers good jobs, that asking to work hard but they paying more money than other shops. Biggest disadvantage is management and I mean the on that u cant see on shop floor.
Very fast paced food retail
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire3 September 2018
If you like time to fly by and work like you are in a gym, then this is for you.
They are a super effecient company to work for. When you are not sat at a till then there is ALWAYS something else that needs to be done. Wether it be ridding the shelves of card, cleaning up a spillage,or filling the shelves, to name a few.
Typical shifts are 6-2, 8-4, 10-6, 2-10.30pm depending on store.
Everyone mucks in to get jobs/tasks done. None of this "it is not my department". Even Managers deal with spillages and tills at times.
The pay is fair but you do work hard for it.
The only issue is the shifts. You do get 4 weeks worth of rotas but, shifts are not set days or times. This makes it difficult if your partner works set days/times as you can guarantee they will clash.
Pros
Fair pay, equally treated.
Cons
erratic shifts.
Not a bad place to work
Picker (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire5 January 2019
Can be hard work but not bad place to work, worked there for quite a while I enjoyed it. Long hours and hard work but the benefits are good and the company itself
hated it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, UK10 December 2018
hated it. belittled for 2 years. management work as a part a clique and you were treated different if you weren't friends. average salary, not worth how i was treated.
Hard work but rewarding
Warehouse (Selector) Picker (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford24 June 2018
Keeping up with Pick rates can be tough and can be very hard work. Although the hours are based on an 8 hour shift, this is not usually the case. if work is don't you go home early (not paid) and if not finished you could be doing up to 3 hours extra each night, no negotiations.
Management are good when you need help or advice and always available to ask any questions
The most enjoyable part of my day is achieving the daily picks required.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
Working Hours
productive and hard work
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Telford26 June 2018
the hardest part of the job is trying to fit all your job roles in to the time given they are very strict with productivity and constantly made to feel the pressure.
The team are amazing and can really pull together to make the job more enjoyable.
The management system is very strict and have a lot of responsibility, its trying to make sure you still hold the standards even with the added pressure.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours and strict on productivity
Hours and pay
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Burntwood, Staffordshire10 January 2019
The aldi store I worked at was very good in terms of very pleasant place to work, good camaraderie with colleges.
However, I worked at many other stores and unfortunately I can not say the same as those, many of the management in the other store made you feel beneath the and were not nice people to work with.
Also, aldi loves to boast about how good the hourly pay is, which it is, but that's no good if you're barely getting your contracted hours and theyre still hiring more staff
Pros
Hourly pay
Cons
lack of hours, very clicky

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K