ALDI Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 390 reviews matching the search See all 4,550 reviews
Fast paced, multi tasking role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oswestry5 November 2018
I have found my employment with Aldi to be fast paced and quite demanding.

I have learnt till operation and inventory control and how stock rotation works.

The position of Store Assistant requires you to be multi tasked, therefore all aspects of training on the shop floor was given.

I found that dealing with the movement of heavy loads from the warehouse onto the shop floor was very physically demanding.
Pros
Good rate of pay, paid breaks and good holidays.
Cons
Long hours and changeable shifts
Energetic
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, Greater Manchester4 November 2018
Loved working in a place where you were constantly moving. I didn't mind waking up early to deliver our stock on to the shop floor and would be happy to work there again without thinking.
Not a bad start in life
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield29 October 2018
It's a great company to work with. You have to work hard though, the managers are very hands on help you and support you. The only problem is that they won't let you work more than 40hrs a week, as they have to pay a premium rate for every hour worked in excess of 40hrs a week. The store manager has to justify these premium hours allowed to the employee to the head office, so they would not let any member of staff to cross this limit. The good thing is that only the hard working staff will stay and get experienced enough, so if you survive more than a year then you are very likely to be promoted and likely to get the increment in the wages and wouldn't be looking to work the extra hours.
Pros
great promotion opportunities
Cons
the hours are capped at 40/week
would never recommend
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hythe26 October 2018
hours always changed without notice, under appreciated, do not stick to your contracted hours, worked there for three years and did so much extra without any thanks. lack of communication and uncertainty, you are just a replaceable number. made me ill.
Pros
better hourly rate than a lot of jobs
Cons
everything else about the job
Poor managemnt
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 October 2018
Management turned funny against me from the day I made them aware I was pregnant they made me feel very small and was not compassionate regarding the fact I was having a tough time with my son and been a single parent I had worked with them for 6 years and it had a bad effect on my mental health to which even my doctor advise I left the job , they even had my job title down as a stock assistant for 3 years and paid me stock assistant rate which was lower than store assistant yet they have never rectified the problem or paid what I was owed from the 3 years
Pros
Pay rate
aldi
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire17 October 2018
I am currently working nights. I stock the shelves and maintain a clean warehouse at all times. I achieve all targets set by the company at all times. fast and efficient
Well paid and good experience
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alton13 October 2018
Hard work, but good learning and pay. Although the store manager was good, some of the assistant managers weren't very effect and were quite demotivating in their style. Quite physical work, pressured to work fast and with time restraints. There was no regular shift pattern but the staff were friendly. The experience I gained was really good and I did most of the roles within the store rather than just sitting on a till all day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
High pressure to get stuff done in tight timescales
Aldi
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kiddermisnter4 October 2018
Very stressful and fast paced job. Often working the job of management and cleaner within a day, you are expected to start early working stock and getting it out as quickly as possible whilst also balancing being called down to the tills.
Pros
payment
Cons
very stressful
regimental but good pay
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donegaltown2 October 2018
ALDI can be a tough place to work, wouldn't recommend if you have a bad back or any ailments like this. from when you go in the door till its time to go home you never stop, its a constant flow of work. the time goes quick and the pay is good. But youre only a number to them.
Pros
pay
Cons
heavy work
not a good job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands29 September 2018
This company is treats its dyslexic employes realy badly ,the management do not lisen to eney logic and do not care about staff or customers very robotic . do your self a favour don't apply to work here you will be treated like a robot I promise.

this company needs to take a long hard look at who they recruit as managers as they all seem to bring the worst out of people and stranegly they see this as a productive approach ,possable becaued of the very young naive area managers how are fresh out of uni and most have got a clue about retail because they have never done the job at any level so how they can pass judgment is beyond me.

The enjoyable part of this job is clocking out and going home....
Pros
non
Cons
to much fluctuation in hours better being self employed
productive
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire25 September 2018
I used to work nights at Aldi so used to work in the shop without customers. used to listen to music while putting stock out, used to be part of a good team that worked hard
Pros
good hourly rate of pay
Awful culture
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shipley, West Yorkshire22 September 2018
Limited progression.
Excellent pay per hour but hours drop in winter.
None visible management
No perks
Bullying
Zero work life balance
Incompetent management
No Life
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire18 September 2018
Poorly devised Rota's Constantly make you work late nights and weekends, even when you have explained the reason to the manager why you are unable to work late nights and every weekend, there is no compromise, they just say you are working in retail.
Not had one weekend off since I started.
Absolutely useless managers and very arrogant.
Pros
Salary Ok
Cons
No Life and Managers don't care
Very friendly atmosphere
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands18 September 2018
Everyone is very welcoming and helpful. Pay is always received on time and management are very friendly. Lots of benefits and a job which keeps you mentally active.
Pros
Great people, above average salary, lots of benefits
Well Paid Job With Friendly Staff
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham12 September 2018
It is a fast paced workplace and there is always something to do, it is well paid with great benefits that come along with the job. the hardest part of the job is keeping up with the schedule and trying not to fall behind. all the staff are very friendly and welcoming and it is a great company to work for.
Pros
Double Pay on Bank Holidays and extra 20% pay after 10pm and before 6am
Cons
Long hours with short breaks and Late Finishes
productive and efficient
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  North West9 September 2018
This is a good company to work for however you are expected to work unsociable hours and long shift, must be very hard working to work here.
I have learnt a lot at this company but there isn't many opportunities to step up your career with them.
management is ok but could be better.
The hardest part of the job is when there isn't enough staff as you are expected to do double the amount of work and it is harder to hit the targets that they give you.
I enjoyed parts of this job however can get very tedious if you are put on a till all day.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Unsociable hours
Not the best employers
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon9 September 2018
This is a great company to work for, if you don't have children or other commitments alongside work. The work/life balance was not great for me, and they were not very accommodating for my childcare situation. However, I have heard that this has now improved since I left the company.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Work/life balance
Can be fun , yes its a productive environment
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich9 September 2018
Shifts are always busy , we are all expected to be trained to work in any area of the store , we have to have a certain till speed after training 1050 items an hour but a higher speed is required
Pros
We get a voucher at Christmas
Cons
When business is slow you can loose shifts
Very fast paced food retail
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire3 September 2018
If you like time to fly by and work like you are in a gym, then this is for you.
They are a super effecient company to work for. When you are not sat at a till then there is ALWAYS something else that needs to be done. Wether it be ridding the shelves of card, cleaning up a spillage,or filling the shelves, to name a few.
Typical shifts are 6-2, 8-4, 10-6, 2-10.30pm depending on store.
Everyone mucks in to get jobs/tasks done. None of this "it is not my department". Even Managers deal with spillages and tills at times.
The pay is fair but you do work hard for it.
The only issue is the shifts. You do get 4 weeks worth of rotas but, shifts are not set days or times. This makes it difficult if your partner works set days/times as you can guarantee they will clash.
Pros
Fair pay, equally treated.
Cons
erratic shifts.
Very fast paced.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria2 September 2018
Although I had read plenty of reviews before I started so I had a good understanding of the position, I wasn't quite prepared for the 4am starts to be at work for 5am. It was a really good position, the staff were friendly and made a shift go quicker but for myself there was no way to push myself further. You had to meet times to get stock out or till read times and keep manual count of a till but after that there was nothing else to do and I needed more from my job. The pay is better than the minimum wage and the shifts are reasonable. Shifts were between 5am-1pm and 1-10pm althought there were a couple of variants these were the main shifts.
Pros
1pm finish, better than minimum wage
Cons
Early starts, poor training, constant pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K