ALDI Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Horrible management and unrealistic targets
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bretton North22 May 2018
Apprenticeship. treated like you should put any outside problems outside of work and leave them. Can’t bring any emotional stress into work as management don’t give a toss about you or your feelings. Work is so hard and pressured me into meeting targets when after 3 months I wasn’t hitting them, not my fault they sat me on till for 2 months straight.

Management is so poor and a lot are so unfriendly. If I didn’t need the job would have left before and only been there 6 months, don’t recommend at all
Pay is good I must admit but short staffed and having to work your feet off for 8-10 hours straight is exhausting, extremely short breaks too.
Not worth it in my eyes
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks, unfriendly management
Productive and fun workplace
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire17 May 2018
Hard work, but makes the day go quicker. Great pay, fun staff, always make you have your breaks - which are paid! Staff parking, good training. Looked forward to going to work!
Fast-paced working environment.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester16 May 2018
Well-paid job. Productivity is a priority, meaning that hitting targets set by your store is essential. Days go by fairly quickly as it is a busy environment.
Pros
Paid breaks
Fine for the pay but ultimately not worth it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire15 May 2018
Working at Aldi is extremely hard work, physically and emotionally. The pay is excellent for retail or service work, but this is totally outweighed by robotic management that could not care less about the fact that you're a human being with needs and things to worry about besides work. Very demanding, very stressful. At the beginning, their ethos of high productivity and efficiency (how they keep their prices so low!) seems like a great idea, and it is, but the human cost of this is enormous. Aldi expect the job to be your life, and if you aren't willing to sacrifice your personal life to be fully committed to your job, then you are seen as a lesser human being.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Robotic management
High Effort, high reward
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire13 May 2018
I've been working for Aldi for 8 months now, at first I want sure I would like it as I never thought I'd go into retail. However its exactly the sort of pace I enjoy. Its almost nonstop, due there are a few times when you can slow down but most stores are fairly fast paced. The stores use smaller teams to get the job done, so there no chance for slacking off. While you do work harder than some other jobs it's reflected in the pay, as of April 2018 I'm in £8.85 an hour that's the lowest a store Assistant is paid, that's regardless of age. For that money you should be going nonstop. The interview is nice and straightforward with them telling you what to expect. After your first interview you go for a trail soft so the store manager can see how well you do and how committed you are to the job. After that if you pass its contract signing. The how recruitment process for me took less than a month from application to starting. And I've lived every minute since
Pros
High pay, close knit group
Cons
Hard work
Hard working environment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East9 May 2018
This job is not easy, for anyone going into this job thinking it is a walk in the part, its not the job for you. The job requires you to be on your feet at all times running about with a sense of urgency. The work life balance does not go well when you work every other day for a week all night shifts, you don't get time for yourself hardly. The staff and management were all friendly and really nice people however the job requires more than I could handle. However, knowing that you were a part of a small team that helped reach daily, weekly and monthly targets made you feel good to be a part of it.
You are pushed to achieve higher than you thought you could
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carnforth8 May 2018
Overall a fantastic work environment. Tough targets to meet but when you meet them you get a massive sense of achievement. I enjoyed my time here and enjoyed getting paid to get fit!
The company itself is OK...
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westbury5 May 2018
The company and idea of the business is ok, however the stores are responsible for looking after the staff, and a lot of the time this doesn't happen.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Impractical hours for child care, the store management can be very "clickey" and secular, small 30 mins break for 10 hour shift, people who smoke get bigger breaks overall than those who don't smoke.
Not the best place to work
Store Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands30 April 2018
not a nice place to work. The money is good per hour but you will never get full time hours...only part time. Everything you do is timed and they don't give you enough time to complete the job!
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garrison24 April 2018
Great place to work, make friends that you will keep for life. Learn so many new skills and about the company. Always a friendly work environment, all stores are like a mini family.
It’s ok if it’s what you want to do
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Forfar, Angus and Dundee23 April 2018
It’s a hard environment with lots of things that could take a motivated person and grind them down to a drone.

They say it’s an easy environment to progress in, sadly that only seems to be the case if you’re a favourite with the management.

Hard work is rewarded with more work since you’ll spend time making up for lazier staff.

I can however confirm that usually the management are good people and work closely with the other staff members which brings a feeling of closeness all round.
Pros
Guaranteed hours and decent hourly rate
Cons
The work is hard, the targets are a little unfair and progression seems blocked to all but the managements favourites
ok, good money, hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie21 April 2018
always give part time hours but there is always more available, you must be very hands on a pro active. stores are always short staffed but that's why the wages are higher than most retail positions, as you will be expected to carry out lots of different duties on a typical day. there are strict timescales which must be adhered to as well, some are hard when you first start but things do get easier the more you work at it.
Job Application
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire18 April 2018
I applied for a store assistant vacancy; Application refused because I've already applied for same job earlier his year. You can't reapply for work at Aldi within a 12 month period.
Efficent, family and different
Store assistant September (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex17 April 2018
Overall, Aldi is a fun growing retail business. The company has had many years of trade and is expanding on a massive scale. However they still have room to learn and trial new things.
good place to work
Store assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 April 2018
Morning shift- delivery in the morning
After delivery is finished you get break or going on the tills. Depends of the managers and store.
Afternoon shift- working back stock, carding the store, till operating
Pros
good money, good place to work
Cons
horrible customers but that can be anywhere
Good job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire7 April 2018
I worked for Aldi for about 1 year. I have to say that I was really happy with the company. Colleagues are nice and hard workers. Even the management is nice what is really unusual in these days. The job is well paid and the working hours basically depends on you. If u want you can do progress really quick.
My only cons are not really the company's fault so I won't write it to the "Cons" section but I must mention that you need a lot of patience when you dealing with costumers. Aldi is one of the cheapest so many of the costumers come from the "living on benefits level" or simply just stupid. People do "amazing" things, making the shop really messy every day. Of course there are many nice costumers as well.
After all it is a good place to work full with opportunities.
Pros
Good money, nice colleagues and management
Cons
Can't really think on anything
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough6 April 2018
every Aldi you step into to work feels like a close knit team and a family, everyone is supportive from the caretakers to the management. the work is fast paced but you are paid extremely well from the job at hand.
Nice place to work but horrible hours
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coalville, Leicestershire4 April 2018
It is a nice place to work but 1. you are not guaranteed the hours 2. You will be put down for all types of shifts including evening, weekends and nights 3. You might even go into work one day to find your shift has been crossed off and no one told you.
Pros
Hourly rate
Cons
Working hours are 24/7
productive fast paced environment
store assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, Tyne and Wear4 April 2018
productive fast paced busy environment
working on the tills
stock rotation
availability of products
Friendly workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thamesmead, Greater London4 April 2018
A typical day at work , consist of getting a till , been told what to do if not on till , eg working back stock delivery , put backs and tidying the shop floor and able to deal with customers when very busy. Have to be flexiable as sometimes routers change at last minute and you have to be able to work . Long hours and short breaks .
Pros
good pay
Cons
Long hours and very early starts plus late nights

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K