ALDI Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Long application process to get the job and be told that I had the job to than be emailed after the store experience that I was unsuccessful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 August 2018
Having passed the group assessment, maths test and one-to-one interview. I was practically told that I had the job, I just needed to see if the job was right for me through the attendance of a store experience (lasting two hours).

However, after the completion of the store experience I was than emailed to say that I was unsuccessful. And that I wasn’t even worthy of any feedback to why I wasn’t successful at this stage due to the large volume of applications... I found this to be ridiculous considering that I had travelled to the Mapperley Aldi three times, and worked for two hours. And they couldn’t even spare five minutes of there time to provide me with some feedback...

In addition to this I got a parking ticket as I was over the 2 hour time limit on my store experience day. Consequently, this meant that I had to travel to the store on another two occasions to try and sort the issue out! And I am still not sure if they have even bothered to sort it!!!

The whole application process is a joke! And to be told you have the job and then emailed that you haven’t is ridiculous.

It’s a real shame that I wasted my valuable time in applying and progressing through the application stages. I do not understand why the application process is so long and why you are expected to work for free for 2 hours... Afterall the job is a retail assistant and this role isn’t hard/ doesn’t take long to learn and adopt to!!!

I will not be applying for any other future job roles with Aldi, as I believe the company is a joke. The regional manager and store staff when I was present put
  more... on an unrealistic/ untrue performance and lied to my face. To then disregard me by not providing me any feedback, and taking forever to sort my parking ticket.

If that’s how they treat their potential future employees, I believe I had a Lucky escape... as it seemed like most staff was back stabbing which isn’t a working environment I would want to work in.

All I can say for future individuals applying for Aldi, is not to believe everything you are told by the regional and assistant managers as it is lies. Not only this if you do manage to get to the process of a store experience. I personally wouldn’t drive as you will get a parking ticket and it takes forever to sort it out (not sure if mine is still sorted).

This experience was sitatued at the Mapperley Aldi, so hopefully this is a segregated negative experience from other Aldi stores. Just be very sceptical of the application process, and if they say you have the job don’t invest to much time into this/ believing you have until you sign the paperwork....
Pros
Fast working environment
Cons
Management are contradictive......
Great company
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria24 July 2018
In the 4+ years i have been with ALDI there has only been 1 bad manager. The company as a whole tries to keep everyone happy and does a questionaire each year to see what they need to work on.
Pros
Great pay and good contracts
Cons
Customers
Easy enough job. Difficult to progress.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Risca, Caerphilly18 July 2018
Good job, lovely people to work with, met some friends who I still stay in contact with. However it became very apparent that there was absolutely 0 chance of any sort of career improvement unless you gave management a very *special* few minutes of your time (or if you work there for 10 years straight, only to be a store assistant manager.)
Pros
Lovely staff, easy work
Cons
Strange management. No discounts as Aldi think their food is cheap enough.
Varied, Fast- Paced Role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria16 July 2018
This is a very varied and fast-paced role which makes this the ideal supermarket job if you get bored doing the same thing everyday and need more autonomy.

The benefits and salary are very good and performance reviews have been improved. The company itself have invested in its employees and the effort made by them overall shows.

The thing that ruins this is the tyrant middle management, unrealistic targets and lack of compassion or care for employees and staff turnover or professional development.

The work life balance is usually poor as you work irregular shift patterns.
Pros
Salary, varied, fast -pased
Cons
irregular shift patterns, poor management, uncompassionate and lack of E.I.
Fantastic teamwork
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby16 July 2018
ALDI is a brilliant company to work for, they really take care of their staff. The job can be challenging at times and physically draining but the team work easily makes the shifts fly by.

I cannot stress enough about the amazing team work at ALDI stores, everybody has the same training and knows exactly how things should be and how tough a long shift can be there was always a lot of respect for each other.

Management were always understanding and would do their best to provide a reasonable solution to any issues that would arise and were always ready to roll up their sleeves should the occasion call for it.

The most enjoyable park of the job was helping customers in store, ALDI staff are well trained and knowledgeable about their company, store and products.

Date checks were probably my least favourite part of the job, it was not difficult, just tedious.

Given the chance I would happily work for this company again.
Pros
Managers were extremely helpful and undertanding
Cons
Physically draining shifts
Awful.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hilton15 July 2018
Management force unpaid overtime, change your rota without you knowing. And if you are ever actually geniunely poorly they make you feel horrendous. The management are often young and lack the life experience to motivate and inspire other people, instead they pick their favourites and leave the others. Expect 10 hours on a till with a half an hour break. Expect to be micromanaged with every little thing you do. The pay is great for what it is but the amount of unpaid overtime you will do is crippling. You will often find yourself leaving work an hour after your shift is over with no gratitude from management as this is expected.
Pros
Good pay for what it is.
Cons
Young management
Fast passed environment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead14 July 2018
an enjoyable overall job, always lots to do! working with a good team.
downside lots of split shifts and long hours on checkouts and stores can be very busy which can be a struggle when restocking.
Enjoyable job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prenton5 July 2018
This job consisted of working either on a till or with stock. Everyday I had to deal and engage with customers which I enjoyed and the physical work made this job engaging.
Hard work, good rotas
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buxton22 June 2018
Go to work follow the time limits for each heavy pallet of goods, the team can be both positive and negative depending on the management.
I have just my back semi permanently from working their lifting heavy goods and sometimes being stuck on a till constantly for 6-8 hours.
Pros
Good rotated shift pattern
Cons
Expect too much, injured my back heavy lifting constantly.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands9 June 2018
- Internal progression
- Hard work is rewarded and highly encouraged
- Friendly coworkers that have created a very good culture within the store
- The hardest part is having to contend with customers whilst sticking to time related targets
Not a good workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom8 June 2018
Working only 4 hours a day with a lot of stress from managers who them self just stand around or sweep the floor. Long weeks to get all the few hours on our contracts if we getting our contracted hours, meanwhile they take in extra staff.
No balance between work life and privet life.
The employer are sexist and treat woman and man very different. If you are a woman you more likely to sit on a till then a man.
Unfair treatment towards staff, manager talking bad about staff behind there back.
Very often you don't get payed for all the hours you actually worked.
You are told to not go to the toilet when you sit on a till.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad managment
They want their pound of flesh
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 June 2018
Long long hours, nights and weekends with very little outside support. No work life balance and very little time to see family. A very brown nose culture
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, unfair upper managment
Long hours, very rude customers, but good pay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 June 2018
I have been a Store Assistant in Aldi for 5 years and I would say it is a very friendly place to work. Typically you do both work on the shopfloor and the tills which can sometimes be intense because by the time you get to your till, at least one customer will ask you something on the way. Everything is targeted, from how long you have to spend working on a pallet (different sections have different targets) to how many items per hour you need to scan on the till. A big problem is lack of staff, especially after they built more Aldi stores. Some of the managers are hired straight for the manager position and do not know many essencial aspects of the job, but do not accept feedback from their team very well. Because Aldi is a discount supermarket, a lot of the customers would act rudely to the staff, try to cut corners and argue; cashiers have to be wary of things hidden under baby buggies, trolleys and baskets, ask if bags customers use are new or old (because in Aldi, as in many other stores, you have to pay for bags, DUH!!!), put their trolleys the right way so that they can just slide the products in and not hold the ques which can be massive. We often have to call the security as people don't understand it is part of the job to ask them certain things, some take it personally and make a scene. I just wish they were more understandinng of the whole work process and stop giving us attitude and look down on us. I get stereotyped a lot because I am Eastern European and have an accent. On the other hand, pay is very good, increasing with time spent in the company, there is room  more... for progression, there is favoritism though, overtime opportunities, and close-knit team!  less
Pros
paid holiday, friendly colleagues, good pay, transparency
Cons
customers with no manners, understaffed at times
Not good
Retail Store Assistant and PAM (Current Employee) –  Cheshire3 June 2018
Poor place to work , poor customer service, rush the staff around and forget about the customers, management are young inexperienced and they don't care as long as they meet their KPI's, Staff retention poor because of the poor training up the chain, sad to see as the products are good and Aldi is a good company on the ground for customers to make savings on their monthly shop, but aside from that, it's poor all round!
Pros
Higher wage
Cons
No outside life balance
Great pay with good management.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross28 May 2018
I worked at Aldi for over a year as a Store Assistant, a typical days work would never have you sitting around bored, you always had something to do and keep you busy, you are worked hard but you are compensated by the good pay.

Everyone chipped in to help each other and the team environment was one of the main reasons I enjoyed my time at Aldi. You can approach any of the managers with an issue and they will do their best to help, I found if I ever needed help with a problem or help with a personnel issue, a manger was on hand to listen.

Work life balance was the most difficult part of the job, sometimes finishing quite late and the days off between your work days can sometime be only one day.
Pros
Teamwork, good management, pay
Cons
Work life balance can be tough
Management were rude and disrespectful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon26 May 2018
Some managers were kind and helpful but were let down by the rest who were disrespectful. I enjoyed working there at the start but gradually got more irritated by the rudeness shown to all the staff
Horrible management and unrealistic targets
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bretton North22 May 2018
Apprenticeship. treated like you should put any outside problems outside of work and leave them. Can’t bring any emotional stress into work as management don’t give a toss about you or your feelings. Work is so hard and pressured me into meeting targets when after 3 months I wasn’t hitting them, not my fault they sat me on till for 2 months straight.

Management is so poor and a lot are so unfriendly. If I didn’t need the job would have left before and only been there 6 months, don’t recommend at all
Pay is good I must admit but short staffed and having to work your feet off for 8-10 hours straight is exhausting, extremely short breaks too.
Not worth it in my eyes
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks, unfriendly management
very poor
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire20 May 2018
hard work with very little reward, store if run very badly as there are to many managers with diffrent ideas all trying to force thee way and ultimatly ends up messing up and the blame beng passed. the higher management push for more work done and expect no breaks to be taken till its all done (can be anywere from 4-7 hours before a break is recived) all whilst they have very little experiance on the shop floor and dont know how to do the jobs to the standard there ultimatly pushing for there staff to do the same job to
Productive and fun workplace
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Alton, Hampshire17 May 2018
Hard work, but makes the day go quicker. Great pay, fun staff, always make you have your breaks - which are paid! Staff parking, good training. Looked forward to going to work!
Fast-paced working environment.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester16 May 2018
Well-paid job. Productivity is a priority, meaning that hitting targets set by your store is essential. Days go by fairly quickly as it is a busy environment.
Pros
Paid breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K