ALDI Employee Reviews

nice busy place with lot of work
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire17 August 2018
The whole application process is a joke! And to be told you have the job and then emailed that you haven’t is ridiculous.

All I can say for future individuals applying for Aldi, is not to believe everything you are told by the regional and assistant managers as it is lies. Not only this if you do manage to get to the process of a store experience. I personally wouldn’t drive as you will get a parking ticket and it takes forever to sort it out (not sure if mine is still sorted.
Pros
work work work..!
Cons
not work again
Long application process to get the job and be told that I had the job to than be emailed after the store experience that I was unsuccessful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 August 2018
Having passed the group assessment, maths test and one-to-one interview. I was practically told that I had the job, I just needed to see if the job was right for me through the attendance of a store experience (lasting two hours).

However, after the completion of the store experience I was than emailed to say that I was unsuccessful. And that I wasn’t even worthy of any feedback to why I wasn’t successful at this stage due to the large volume of applications... I found this to be ridiculous considering that I had travelled to the Mapperley Aldi three times, and worked for two hours. And they couldn’t even spare five minutes of there time to provide me with some feedback...

In addition to this I got a parking ticket as I was over the 2 hour time limit on my store experience day. Consequently, this meant that I had to travel to the store on another two occasions to try and sort the issue out! And I am still not sure if they have even bothered to sort it!!!

It’s a real shame that I wasted my valuable time in applying and progressing through the application stages. I do not understand why the application process is so long and why you are expected to work for free for 2 hours... Afterall the job is a retail assistant and this role isn’t hard/ doesn’t take long to learn and adopt to!!!

I will not be applying for any other future job roles with Aldi, as I believe the company is a joke. The regional manager and store staff when I was present put
  more... on an unrealistic/ untrue performance and lied to my face. To then disregard me by not providing me any feedback, and taking forever to sort my parking ticket.

If that’s how they treat their potential future employees, I believe I had a Lucky escape... as it seemed like most staff was back stabbing which isn’t a working environment I would want to work in.

All I can say for future individuals applying for Aldi, is not to believe everything you are told by the regional and assistant managers as it is lies. Not only this if you do manage to get to the process of a store experience. I personally wouldn’t drive as you will get a parking ticket and it takes forever to sort it out (not sure if mine is still sorted).

This experience was sitatued at the Mapperley Aldi, so hopefully this is a segregated negative experience from other Aldi stores. Just be very sceptical of the application process, and if they say you have the job don’t invest to much time into this/ believing you have until you sign the paperwork....
Pros
Fast working environment
Cons
Management are contradictive......
No work life balance
N/A (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire8 August 2018
Money is tempting, but you are worked like animals, the management system is poor. Mangers look at what they have achieved and give no thanks to those who work hard!
DOG EAT DOG
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Not for the lazy or faint-hearted
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgend8 August 2018
Aldi is not for the faint-hearted. On a typical day you are go, go, go. There were never enough hours in the day or people on a shift. Most of the time there was good team work and I would be wrong to say it was all bad. I enjoyed it for a long time. But an inexperienced Area manager with no people skills changed that coupled with a Manager who was constantly trying to shift blame and cover his back.
Pros
Fast paced, salary, good teamwork
Cons
Long days, never enough people on shift, area managers could bring morale down in seconds
Bad Job Culture
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 August 2018
Bullying, unreal demands, confusing instructions, very poor management, schedule changing without asking which results on your private life enormously...one of the worst working experiences ever
Pros
Paid brake
Cons
Often you even not get a brake, manipulations on clock in/clock out data
Productive, hard work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 August 2018
The company is good to work for if you're willing, you'll always be doing something and won't ever have an easy shift, the employees are all friendly and work well together if everyone is willing to work hard.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Hard work
Physically demanding role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln26 July 2018
Eventually the main job roles of sitting at tills, working deliveries and moving pallets can, and often do, lead to low-back problems, and the flexible shifts affect work/life balance.
Great company
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria24 July 2018
In the 4+ years i have been with ALDI there has only been 1 bad manager. The company as a whole tries to keep everyone happy and does a questionaire each year to see what they need to work on.
Pros
Great pay and good contracts
Cons
Customers
Easy enough job. Difficult to progress.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Risca, Caerphilly18 July 2018
Good job, lovely people to work with, met some friends who I still stay in contact with. However it became very apparent that there was absolutely 0 chance of any sort of career improvement unless you gave management a very *special* few minutes of your time (or if you work there for 10 years straight, only to be a store assistant manager.)
Pros
Lovely staff, easy work
Cons
Strange management. No discounts as Aldi think their food is cheap enough.
Productive and great workplace
Loader (Former Employee) –  South Marston17 July 2018
Typical day at work was fun but busy.
The management was fair to their employees. I learned a lot of new things for example: using electric pallet truck, loading lorries
Varied, Fast- Paced Role
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cumbria16 July 2018
This is a very varied and fast-paced role which makes this the ideal supermarket job if you get bored doing the same thing everyday and need more autonomy.

The benefits and salary are very good and performance reviews have been improved. The company itself have invested in its employees and the effort made by them overall shows.

The thing that ruins this is the tyrant middle management, unrealistic targets and lack of compassion or care for employees and staff turnover or professional development.

The work life balance is usually poor as you work irregular shift patterns.
Pros
Salary, varied, fast -pased
Cons
irregular shift patterns, poor management, uncompassionate and lack of E.I.
Good employer
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham16 July 2018
Good range of work different from the normal HGV Driver job.
Every day is not the same goog pay and working conditions working clothes supplied.
5 weeks Holiday.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hrs
Fantastic teamwork
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby16 July 2018
ALDI is a brilliant company to work for, they really take care of their staff. The job can be challenging at times and physically draining but the team work easily makes the shifts fly by.

I cannot stress enough about the amazing team work at ALDI stores, everybody has the same training and knows exactly how things should be and how tough a long shift can be there was always a lot of respect for each other.

Management were always understanding and would do their best to provide a reasonable solution to any issues that would arise and were always ready to roll up their sleeves should the occasion call for it.

The most enjoyable park of the job was helping customers in store, ALDI staff are well trained and knowledgeable about their company, store and products.

Date checks were probably my least favourite part of the job, it was not difficult, just tedious.

Given the chance I would happily work for this company again.
Pros
Managers were extremely helpful and undertanding
Cons
Physically draining shifts
Awful.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hilton15 July 2018
Management force unpaid overtime, change your rota without you knowing. And if you are ever actually geniunely poorly they make you feel horrendous. The management are often young and lack the life experience to motivate and inspire other people, instead they pick their favourites and leave the others. Expect 10 hours on a till with a half an hour break. Expect to be micromanaged with every little thing you do. The pay is great for what it is but the amount of unpaid overtime you will do is crippling. You will often find yourself leaving work an hour after your shift is over with no gratitude from management as this is expected.
Pros
Good pay for what it is.
Cons
Young management
Fast passed environment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead14 July 2018
an enjoyable overall job, always lots to do! working with a good team.
downside lots of split shifts and long hours on checkouts and stores can be very busy which can be a struggle when restocking.
Very good employer
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Goldthorpe, South Yorkshire10 July 2018
Good pay rates, good atmosphere. Work balance is average, sometimes you have to work for 10 hours. Management always happy to help. Highly recommended.
hard work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester10 July 2018
great place. you really feel as if you have earnt your wage. not very flexible but very dependable. an overall great management and a good amount of health and safety.
Pros
great work environment. hard work both mentally and physically but a great bunch.
Cons
negligibly small but there was a manager in particular who has since relocated. watch out
Challenging but motivating employment
Dep store manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester6 July 2018
I worked for this company for 4 years spread over 3 stores, enabling a diverse set of experiences. The work was always fast paced and demanding, built on the platform of close-knit teams.
A day would include basic stock work including rotation, till work, due diligence achieving company goals and great customer service. I have learned how to be sales driven, work within a tight time frame and in difficult circumstances (eg in the event of sickness) and dealing with difficult team members. I have learnt that an honest and fair approach yields positive results. The most enjoyable parts of the job include working as part of a team and how quickly a work day will pass. The culture is usually positive and upbeat.
Pros
Fast days
Cons
Pressure applied to middle management
Enjoyable job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prenton5 July 2018
This job consisted of working either on a till or with stock. Everyday I had to deal and engage with customers which I enjoyed and the physical work made this job engaging.
Enjoy the benefits and get out when you can.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atherstone, Warwickshire5 July 2018
Enjoy earning some money then Aldi is the place for you! This is not somewhere you can build a career unless you are mentally and physically able to run yourself into the ground 48 hours a week. Exceptional salaries and benefits for all, however the downside is that work life balance goes out the window. You will be expected to hit unreasonable productivity targets that affect everything you do within your store. Despite the success the company is not looking after the people within the stores and continues to let them 'burnout' with no duty of care from higher up. Area Managers have very little people skills and no experience of how a store works. The Area Managers are the biggest issue with this company but not the only one, if your face fits you get away with whatever you want. I fit doesn't you will not survive.
Pros
Money, Money, Money!
Cons
Working hours, Work Life Balance, Culture, Expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K