ALDI Employee Reviews

Found 1,023 reviews matching the search See all 4,663 reviews
hated it
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, UK10 December 2018
hated it. belittled for 2 years. management work as a part a clique and you were treated different if you weren't friends. average salary, not worth how i was treated.
Brilliant company to work for
Aldi Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blyth, Northumberland8 December 2018
Unfortunately I had to leave my position due to personal circumstances. Absolutely loved my work and would return in a heartbeat. Fantastic job if you are a hard worker
Demanding
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  England7 December 2018
I started off at Aldi as a store assistant and was drawn to the wages. I made the mistake of accepting a promotion to deputy manager very early on with very little training. It was very much a case of learning by trial and error and launched into the deep end.

When I became I deptuy, I had only been with the company for 9 months which meant, as a deputy I was being paid a basic wage which was less than any store assistants who had been there for over 2 years. Running around with that responsibility for less money was soul destroying. Only time to begin with it was worth it were the occasions I was on a premium rate which is an extra £4 an hour (when you are completely in charge and no salaried managers are on).

The job itself is challenging but if you are organised and not scared to get stuck in then it’s half the battle. You have to be prepared to provide constant feedback to staff and prepare for a lot more coming your way. On some occasions it can feel like, as a deputy you are picking up the remains of a shift. I work with some very hard working store assistants who are a credit to the company. Once they all get stuck on a til thou during busy times, you can be left running around trying to get the stock out on your own and trying to have due regard for KPIs etc. It’s a balancing act sometimes but as I’ve said organisation is key.

The hours can be variable and laterally I’ve found myself doing all late shifts with the occasional night shift in there for good measure. This week alone I worked a shift from 4pm- 5am in the morning and then back in at 4pm that
  more... same day. I’ve read a few times that rotas are changed last minute and I would have to concur with this. In spite of this, our store manager could be very accommodating and approachable with any specific requests of flexiable working.

It’s not for the faint hearted. It will suit some people but not everyone. Even the ‘lazier’ staff wouldn’t be seen as lazy anywhere else, it’s constant but again might suit some people as the day flies in.
Pros
Good colleagues, paid breaks, no gym membership needed
Cons
Long hours, last minute changes to rotas, smaller teams
Great stepping stone to better things
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Offerton6 December 2018
A typical working day would be very busy, with lots of things to be keeping yourself occupied with, whether that be putting deliveries out or being on the tills, it is a fast paced work enviroment.
Okay if you like every weekend in work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Helens, UK4 December 2018
you have to work almost every weekend.
extremely physically demanding
good team of people
poor managment stratergies
no willingness to do well
no incentives
Pros
paid breaks
Soul crushing
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands30 November 2018
Where to start?
First of all dont even expect anything you do to be appreciated. You're basically treated like a robot rather than a human being. Long shifts never a problem for me but after a while you get so bored and fed up of going there that minutes feel like days. Sometimes 10 hours stuck on tills. Half hour break isn't enough. Customers are awful. Ive seen animals behave more respectfully than some of the customers do. Everything they do will annoy you once you've been there long enough. They pick things up and then just throw it over the other end of the store for the lols. Management are lazy, always. But happy to dictate to you what needs doing even though you're already juggling 3 tasks and a till and theyre doing? Well nothing! When you first start and your shown what to do youll notice that nobody does their job properly, lazy, bare minimum effort, no date checking, no rotating of stock, stock in the wrong place;after you've worked there a few months you understand why, no matter how hard you work youll always be moaned at and your work will never be good enough, so you give up caring. Everyone looks miserable. Management are selfish and don't care about staff. Never listened to. Nothing is ever fixed. Never got the equipment needed to complete tasks. Gloves are like gold in this place. Jacks are broken. Doors are designed to ruin your day by knocking everything off your palette. Can never find a mop and bucket or wet floor signs when you need them. You work non stop, 30 second break whilst the bailer is in use? Don't think so, drag out a pallet there's enough
  more... time. Not enough carding cages. Favouritism amongst staff. Store is always freezing unless you run yourself ragged. Moaned at if you go to the toilet frequently, asked to drink less water as unproductive. You're never quick enough even if you complete everything in the given time. Warehouse stack the palletts like idiots so that everything falls when you try to unload it. Palletts are huge and heavy, fatigue doesnt even cover it. Would rather have more staff than offer current staff the hours and contracts they want.  less
Pros
Paid breaks, good pay
Cons
Everything else
Hard work but can be rewarding. no work life balance. no progression.
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North West28 November 2018
The job itself is easy, its just general retail duties, stack shelves and serve customers. There is no real progression its just a carrot that is dangled down to all employees. Money is not great, its good for supermarket pay but terrible compared to the rest of the job sector. Mangers earn less than the national average of 25k. some difficult managers make the job stressful but if you are lucky enough to not end up with these then the the job is not too bad. no work life balance can be in from 5am or finish at 2am. mixed shifts with days off not together. honestly i would avoid unless you are desperate. at the end of the day its a job and its money coming in. The astronomically high turnover speaks for itself.
Pros
the staff
Cons
too many
Hard working enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 November 2018
Early starts with a pressure to achieve targets. However, these targets were achievable once training had been undertaken. It was not an enjoyable job but at the end of the day you were there to work so you did not expect any real benefits or what not.
great workplace
Store Assitant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire27 November 2018
I have learnt many things, like dealing with customers working as a part of a team working on a till cash handling, it is not an easy job as is very fast paced so more suitable id say for the younger person..
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
non stop work
Poor treatment of staff
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport south wales26 November 2018
Terrible treatment of staff,severe stress caused due to workplace bullying caused depression and ruined my life. They don't allow you to have a union rep to fight your corner.
productive and fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead26 November 2018
A typical day at Aldi, we start early stocking the shelves this is a fun time. Then at 8 am the store is open and the customers rushing in getting their items and off to the tills and am there to service them fast and effectively, they are happy thanking me and off they go.

I learnt to be fast productive and efficient.

We have an Aldi app where we communicate with each other and we arrange and go for dinner and go for drink some times.
We are kind and friendly with one another.

The hardest part of the job is having to start early like 5 am but once you start you forget about it as it fun to get to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the customers leaving happily and with no complain.

I also made a lot of friends while working at Aldi to the staffs and to the customer many of whom we remains friends up till now.
Pros
Its very cheap
Cons
Sometimes long hours and sometimes too short hours
Energetic and fast paced
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 November 2018
I’ve worked for Aldi for 5 years and I absolutely love where I work. Unfortunately my health has taken a turn for the worst and I can no longer keep up with the requirements they need. However they have been amazing with me considering my health issues have left me unable to work for 4 months, and everyone involved has been kind and caring toward me.
Pros
Friendly, loyal, fast paced
Cons
Minimum breaks, long hours
Good wage, difficult culture.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Midlands25 November 2018
-Good wage for staff

-Some progression is available but it does seem difficult to access a higher level career from a store position

-High pressure but one does learn how to cope quickly and find a natural rhythm with the nature and ethos of the store.

-You can be asked to do any role within store, so you become multi-skilled.

-Management were close-knit group of friends who were difficult to approach and their concern for impressive results would often be at odds with corporate policy. It could be a battle to have an entitled break for example.

-On-call system meant you could be called in short notice to do a shift which, for this level of work might not suit everyone.
Pros
Wages
Good work
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex21 November 2018
Aldi offers good jobs, that asking to work hard but they paying more money than other shops. Biggest disadvantage is management and I mean the on that u cant see on shop floor.
Long hours, demotivated staff
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester21 November 2018
Aldi has now become so incredibly unrealistic with its payroll targets that all management are glorified stock assistants. We have no time for anything remotely management related let alone dealing with staff personnel issues. Turnover is the worst I've seen in years and we keep getting told we should have done more to retain those members of staff yet area managers/ops directors refuse to acknowledge the real reasons staff are leaving. They are sick of doing the job of 5 people for only slightly better pay than Tesco. They are tired of being rang every day asking if they can pull an extra shift because we are so understaffed. It's a business steadily in decline if they don't start investing in their people.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No work life balance, constantly being belittled by area managers.
Hard work for women
Store and Stoke assistent (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth21 November 2018
Good team,money, but big pressure at work. Not very big improvement even after years. As some people worked years in the same position. Very busy and u need to be fast and sometimes the customers dont like that.
Very fun and good hours and pay
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff21 November 2018
Very good job, good company to work for and pays very well.. You get looked after well and they also do favours for you, I can see my self being here a while.
Bad management
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk19 November 2018
It is hard work at Aldi and the boss I had wasn't very nice. You never got a weekend off unless you used holiday for itand they're slave drivers. Wouldn't work for Aldi again.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Long hours, bad back
Honest review.
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcestershire.18 November 2018
Very hard work, thought I was prepared for it as I've always done physical jobs but this is something else! Pulling large pallets of tins, at least 5ft high around at 4am in the morning is HARD! Having half an hour target to work each pallet is HARD, it's doable but you cannot keep up that pace hour after hour. Warehouse is health and safety hazard, no room for stock constantly having to move things around just to get your pallet out, freezer and chiller exactly the same which can make the job very stressful.
Some shifts can be on the chiller (fridge) all day, constantly putting stock out non stop, can be very demanding especially on busiest days.
Can be on a till for 10hrs, very draining and hurts your legs and back, target for scanning is 1100 per hour but it's easy done if you don't get annoying customers packing at the till.
The staff who are rubbish at doing deliveries and putting stock out get to sit on a till all day, they don't have to do any of the hard graft but get paid the same. You get half an hour paid break if doing 8/10 hours but sometimes you can work 6hrs before getting it.

The hours are not all bad it's just the shift patterns they give you, sometimes you can finish at 10.30pm and be back in next day at 10am.
4am starts getting the deliveries done for before the store opens is very tough. Holidays are hard to get, no holidays allowed in December and you can't book weekends as holiday, you are expected to use some of your holiday in January.

Everyone thinks it's good pay, the starting rate in our store is £8.85 an hour but taking in consideration
  more... the amount of work you have to do; it's not that good. I've had easier jobs and been paid more.

Aldi have become very popular in the last couple of years, changing the quality of their products as resulted in a massive increase in customers but they haven't changed the way the stores are run, keeping up with demand is almost impossible, they need to reinvent the way they are run.
The store I'm in really struggles with the demand.

Management not too bad as they all have to pull their weight, but they get very stressed under the pressure of having to get stock out on shop floor, trying to organise warehouse in time for next delivery and having targets to hit.
Store manager doesn't really have time for you, doesnt have time to get to know about you personally. you'll get your one to one updates every couple of months as that's protocol but what gets said in them gets forgotten about.

Team spirit is good, everyone tries to pull together because we are all under the same pressure, banter over headsets is good, makes the time spent there easier, we're almost like a big family.
Even new starters settle in quickly and become part if the team easily.
This is one of the main reasons why I stay.

Training... what's that? There's a lot to learn and you get shown once and pretty much have to learn yourself or pick up from other colleagues the best way to do things.

Would I recommend working here? Only if you don't like routine in your working hours and are prepared to work like your doing a gym workout.
Be prepared for hellish customers who forget they are shopping in Aldi and expect the same set up as m&s.
There's good job security because they struggle to get staff.
Pros
Good team spirit
Cons
Shift patterns, stressful and physically demanding.
Dont invest in employees as much as they should
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Abergavenny, Blaenau Gwent17 November 2018
Good rate of pay,
Don't rotate jobs evenly i.e shop floor and till work.
Most enjoyable part of the job is working as part of a team and the regular customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALDI. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K