Age UK Employee Reviews

friendly place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire18 September 2018
A really enjoyable working environment with supportive management and enthusiastic volunteers, and a wide range of both quality donated and new goods for sale.
better charities to work for.
Manageress (Former Employee) –  norfolk18 September 2018
support from higher up is sometimes lacking. Hard and heavy work with donations etc. Enjoyable if given the right amount of support. Enjoyed my time there on the whole.
Productive workplace
Head of Home Support Services (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 September 2018
Great place to work staff were knowledgeable and truly wanted the best for older people in Newcastle services, the office team were flexible and tried their hardest to meet the needs of every person who came through its doors.
Opened my eyes
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 September 2018
At the time I was shadowing my aunty in her work place. As a 16 year old it really did open my eyes and showed me how to work with others and meet the needs of clients. Would recommend as it builds character
Great Atmosphere
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands4 September 2018
You're greeted by everybody as soon as you walk in, the workplace culture is friendly and positive, the management are easy going and kind, i learn't valuable skills in communication due to the composure of the work force, the hardest part about it is that you can often find yourself in a position without a role to fulfil
Pros
McDonalds next door, decent length breaks
Cons
not enough work to do
Lovely company to work for.
Sunday Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire4 September 2018
Friendly managment all the way up, excellent training provided, all for a great cause, in a secure setting that helps individuals in countless ways whether they be volunteers or members of the public.
Productive abd enjoyable enviroment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear4 September 2018
Good management from the top to bottom. In addition workmates were friendly and helpful for me. It also very changed my proception of the retail industry.
Pros
Free lunches and breaks
Cons
No cons
Its a pleasent atmoshere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster31 August 2018
I have learnt to speak to people more,the most enjoyable part of the job is taking old stock off and putting new stock on and pricing items,the people are friendly
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London29 August 2018
Supported clients that suffer from dementia to live independent lives. The management was supportive and offered training to staff as much as possible.
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Supportive work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire29 August 2018
Whilst volunteering all other staff and managers were incredibly supportive during my time there and took their time to help and ensure i was comfortable with what i was doing.
Enjoyable
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lincoln25 August 2018
I enjoyed working for age uk because it was flexible hours and I met a lot of different people over the years I enjoyed every thing about it that's why I stayed at it for a few years
Pros
Cons
Not enough pay
Volunteer
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester24 August 2018
Only work there if you have prior work experience within Retail. Trust me if you don't...under the bus you will go, take my word for it. Other than that nothing.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Less the professionalo managers.
An excellent place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire21 August 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Age UK. I worked with people of an older age, who made me feel welcome and part of a team.

My main job was to replenish stock in the store, such as books, keeping a structured organisation. I would also organise newly donated items that would be held in the in the storage room. I also worked as a cashier.

I view my time there as very positive, as it gave me the experience of working, be it for free, when I was struggling to find paid work.
Charity volunteer work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire21 August 2018
Friendly workers and manager, typical day of pricing donated clothes and other material things. I was a volunteer whilst working on my DofE Silver at the time.
Collaborative and energetic work palce
Chief Executive and Company Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chelsea17 August 2018
One of the best organisation in terms of aims and people in my career. All dedicated to doing the best and offering good services, to older people. Would return any day.
It was a good place to be at on work experiance
Care Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire3 August 2018
I did enjoy the few weeks of me working there but then i started to not feel like i will succeed in it anymore i also felt like i would either panic about it or not
Pros
There were really nice people
Cons
they were too many people around and i felt a bit panicky
Really nice place to work.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancing, West Sussex1 August 2018
Good place to work with nice and funny people, that encourage a good work ethic as well as respecting others. Learned to be independent and to structure your time well so that you know what your priorities are and how to fit your work in.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Dealing with awful donations
Gained more experiance
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire30 July 2018
I came here to gain more work experience i had been out of work for a long time and was given a chance to gain confidence and get myself prepared to gain more paid employment.
I was in a small team where i spent time in the kitchen food prepping this was something that i really enjoyed on a busy day we catered fop 30+ members.

In the afternoon i was involved with bingo sessions this was fun we also had company come in where they had products to sell i supported others to look and buy items.
a great company where i enjoyed every minute here
Pros
kind friendly place to work
Cons
n/a
a week working for age uk
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gainsborough30 July 2018
i enjoy my 2.5 hours with this company
however im not too keen when a client goes into hospital and you get a call to say not to go any more and hear no more
i would like to know how they are getting on if im honest
and also the clients are well fed up with the price increase
an hour
i find it hard to justify this amount with housework
Love It!
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chard, Somerset25 July 2018
I work at one of the Age UK shops as a volunteer and I wish I was a permanent member of staff! Everyone - management, area manager and volunteers - are really nice and it doesn't feel like work because we have a great laugh. Our customers are great too and the day flies by because it's such a fun place to be.
Pros
All of it - management, other volunteers and customers
Cons
I wish I was a paid member of staff as I love being here!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Age UK. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2