Age UK Employee Reviews

Challenging environment
Student Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster16 June 2018
As a student, I was given very limited learning opportunities. The management within the organisation made for a hostile working environment. The work of the staff was positive despite these challenges.
Amazing place to work.
Response (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire14 June 2018
I work for the Response Team. This team provides 24/7 support to Service Users who have a tele care unit and we also provide emergency short term care to support people being discharged from Hospital or Avoidance of going into Hospital.

I'm so, so proud to be part of this organisation where everyone works tirelessly to ensure an excellent service is provided.

There are so many services that Age UK Lincoln and South Lincolnshire offer with many different Teams and each and every one are amazing in their own right.

Cannot praise highly enough what a wonderful Team of people make up this organisation.

Best company I have worked for by a million miles!!!!
Pros
Excellent rates of pay, full support from managers, great cafe
Good Atmosphere
Voluntary Work in elderly day centre (Former Employee) –  Gillingham13 June 2018
Lovely Atmosphere to work in, everyone is helpful and management is very understanding, especially if you have children of your own. would highly recommend working for this company.
Community support worker
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dover12 June 2018
hardest part of this job is trying to get all tasks done in the time period set and not having chance to sit with the client to ensure there are okay

enjoyable part was for me, making a difference in peoples day to day life, and ensuring i leave them with all tasks completed and a smile on their face! :)

management- sometimes okay, but tend to try and load u with more hours when you are already maxed out. i like to help but being a parent sometimes hard to fit it all in.
Horrible horrible AVOID
Responder (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire12 June 2018
I worked as a responder in the Lincoln office. If your face fits your safe of not its catty, lots of back stabbing, frustrating as others in the same role are poor performers but never seen to get performance managed. Little to no safety risk assessments not always followed and even completed. Was so glad to leave this toxic environment. Don't trust anyone! Avoid at all costs.
Cons
Lates nights and early shifts no proper pattern, No work life balance, Out of pocket with car wear and tear
excellent
Volunteer Retail Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lydney, Gloucestershire7 June 2018
fab place to work at espically if wanting to gain experience within the workplace or to get back into work. lovely staff and very flexible ideal for anyone
Loved it
Home Helper (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead2 June 2018
I loved working for age uk. I could only do 2 hours a day to fit in with my children and it suited me and age uk. Great charity that is well needed in herts
Pros
Flexible
Great Experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Boscombe, Dorset2 June 2018
Volunteering at Age UK part time whilst studying my first year at university was definitely great experience for when i get a paid job. It allowed me to get a feel for what retail work would be like as a job.
Pros
Got to see the merchandise first
Staff (Former Employee) –  Lincoln1 June 2018
Good
Duties undertaken whilst volunteering (Former Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria27 May 2018
I was able to learn different aspects of the job and was given experience in insurance; learning about different types of policy available . I also learned different types office work,

Want to know more about Age UK?

Ask a question
Good Employer
Furniture Warehouse Assistant/ Drivers Mate (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire24 May 2018
I would work in the Warehouse and as a Drivers Mate helping with the delivery's when not in the on delivery's I would work in the Warehouse helping to sort out the delivery's and help to load and unload the van.
Help with customer questions. Help with the rotation of stock.
and general day to day running of the warehouse.
Pros
Good Working Environment
Cons
Not work
A great place to work
Craft & Computer Centre Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Age UK. My colleagues, the Volunteers and my seniors were really supportive, friendly and caring. I would never have left if it weren't for the hours and redundancy.
Great Place to Volunteer
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester14 May 2018
I have volunteered at two different branches of Age UK, and the staff have all been friendly and management was good. I thoroughly enjoyed working here and picked up a number of skills whilst doing so. It's quite easy to build up a rapport with customers as there are many regulars.
Pros
Nice colleagues and customers
Cons
No paid work
Okay work place. Help with community.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hailsham8 May 2018
I worked here as a Volunteer on a Tuesday afternoon. It enabled me to keep in with the local community. I worked the Cash Till and my Manager trusted me to do the weekly Banking at Barclays Bank. I sorted, collated and served customers.
Pros
First choices of items for sale at 30% discounts
Cons
Manager left and management problems not concerning me.
Good work place
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster8 May 2018
Fun workplace where they get the job done, management are fun and they have Foss to complete which the team have to work as a complete unit to complete!!!!
Friendly staff who are helping me to get back into a work routine.
Volunteer in charity shop (Current Employee) –  Minehead24 April 2018
I work two days a week for Age Uk.

I have got back into a work routine, enjoyed the company of the other staff. I have increased my skills and my ability to relate to others.
Pros
Interaction with other staff
Cons
would like to increase my responsibilities.
Staff are great to work with
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Faversham, Kent21 April 2018
Have really enjoyed working with age UK .friendly staff and made some great friends .but need permanent hours a week .as you don't know your hours one week from next .
Cons
Have long hours to wait till next shift
easy day to day job
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire8 April 2018
this was a work expierence role and day to day role included tagging steaming and sorting out donated clothes and other things, working behind tills and serving customers helping any customers out with their enquiries

enjoyed working with other peopleand getting on well with them
Pros
long days
Cons
plenty of breaks and time for lunch
fun and plentiful work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch6 April 2018
When working at an AgeUK charity shop, I got to meet lots of people, whether they were shopping or bringing in donations of clothes, homeware items or money. On a typical day I would work behind the till, restocking the shelves, bringing in donations or helping people around the shop as a lot of times, people with different disabilities would come into the shop and ask for assistance. I learned how to work quickly and efficiently in order to complete many tasks in a small time frame whilst still completing them to an excellent standard, I learned how to assist people with different needs, how restock shelves in a way that meant customers could see everything available and how to work with money and other trusted valuables behind the till. There was a lot of culture at the shop, whether it was the people or the items that were donated. The hardest part of working at AgeUK was bringing in all the donations every day, as we got a lot of large donations it was often quite heavy duty work. I really enjoyed working at AgeUK as every day was different, we had to inspect all the items to make sure they were suitable to sell and this meant I got to view lots of products I never thought I would. It was also a satisfying feeling knowing that someone could find products in our store as there was only ever one of each item.
Pros
relaxed environment even when lots of workto do.
Cons
heavy bags of donations.
Hardworking Team of people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa4 April 2018
Busy and friendly lots of bargains place kept clean and inviting with helpful staff.

Advising customers on their purchases and keeping displays inviting.
Pros
Sharing the day with like-minded people
Cons
Hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Age UK. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2