Age UK

Age UK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,452 reviews
Found 1,452 reviews matching the search
No paid job just volunteer
The staff is very helpful and friendly. There is no need of interview. This is not a paid job but you get 20% discount on your shopping. If you are free this is very good to help others.
Great company
I’m self employed but also part of the team
Duties are hugely varied from Manual labour to route planning and sourcing stock

It’s largely a independent role where I’m encouraged to think for myself
Rewarding job, sometimes very fast paced
Working on my own initiative managing the conference rooms I have a variety of daily tasks to ensure the smooth and professional running of the building. This could be anything from negotiating a block booking for a customer or booking lunch for delegates. I take pride in being an advocate for Age Uk Norfolk and am proud to help make a difference to the charity.
Accommodating bespoke meetings can sometimes be a challenge but having built a good rapport with the regular customers I am able to adjust each booking to suit it's requirements.

I have a responsibility to keep the financial spreadsheet up to date and report weekly to the finance department.
Pros
Micro managed and because of my experience I am left to make decisions that benefit the business
Cons
Not a 9-5 job. meetings can over run so a flexible attitude is essential
Friendly staff . A good team work ethic. Relaxed atmosphere. I'm a volunteer.
I'm a volunteer and I have been given several opportunities to learn new skills and take on more responsibility. It is a like a family and nice.atmosphere.
Unfair management team
What i thought was a great company to work for and always praised them turned out not to be true at all, was on 6 months probation period to be called into a meeting to be told my supervisor had been telling tails about me behind my back running straight to management. If your not running round after the management or your face dosnt fit you have not got a cat in hells chance, horrible experience .
Excellent place to work.Friendly staff that cared.
This was a great place to work.It was fun but sometimes stressful.The day centre was for older people so that they had a place to go to which provided stimulating activities and many friendships were made.
Helping elderly to stay independent
Working with the elderly every day is different. Treating your clients with dignity, maintaining confidentiality, respecting their home and environment.
Appauling Management
So firstly, I want to say the charity side of Age UK is absolutely amazing. The charity does some incredible work and I think my complaint centres on the management line at the time I was particularly working.

I was employed as a Sales Asssistant. The manager of the store at the current time was awful. I was left to line manage the volunteers and basically had to do everything in the shop. Whilst I was aware of this, I was NOT a manager and had to try and deal with volunteers who didn't want to work. In the end they chose not to extend my work which I was happy about in a way as it was so stressful when I was made to feel like I was doing a rubbish job when I actually was trying to do everything with NO support. Some days I was told I had no volunteers so was running the shop on my own but yet was expected to be able to sort stock out too! Also was employed on a 6 hour a day (10am till 4pm) so they didn't have to give me a break.

I complained to the area manager who didn't listen to any of my concerns but he was best friends with the manager so I couldn't expect much else. The manager has now left but you can see what the upper chain support was like.
Great fun, interesting, no two days were the same!
I loved working at Age UK, staff were lovely, thoughtful and looked after you because they were older ladies. Nice mix of people, male & female customers, mainly female volunteers all of whom were like having your grandma there to 'boss' around.

I loved the mix of the work, sorting the clothes took a bit of getting used to but once I know what was acceptable rags-wise, I enjoyed sorting. Quite a sense of acheivement when you'd cleared all the bags that had been donated over the door. Chatting to customers, knowing that you may be the only person they had seen so you didn't rush them out of the shop.

The relationships that you built with the staff, and the fun things you used to do as a whole team was second to none.

Was a very fufilling job and I do miss it, even now!
Lovely clients, but few niggles
I loved working for Age UK, the best part of the role is meeting clients and chatting to them and going the extra mile to make their day. Sometimes the management feels none existent, and you feel your on your own. Other than that, it was a good job.
Pros
Lovely service users
Cons
Management can be poor
fun workplace
great colleagues fun workplace dont want to say anymore as left to start my new job at blue bell inn and im loving working at blue bell even tho its stressful and my hours are rubbish
Awful manager
I was constructively laid off. Manager tried to blackmail me to do work by threatening to take hours off me which she ultimately did

I would say to anyone don't work for the home care side. People are leaving since we've had a new manager.
Cons
Call you regularly askibg to do mire than you want to
Very pushy management
One penny above minimum wage, no guaranteed hours, no contract as such, lots of pressure from management & office staff to do last minute calls. Very unorganised, not enough effective training, no care or compassion in this business considering how much publicity they have as well as funding etc
Age uk ashford
The staff really look after the residents and make them feel comfortable and happy.

The residents always had smiles on their faces.

Insight in what did while I was there

I got the residents involved in activities that were running throughout the day.
Wellbeing Worker
The best job in the world.
Fast paced but a different challenge daily.

Great team - moral building fantastic.

Don’t come if you want easy money as a good job needs someone committed to hard work and huge rewards to your heart.
Don’t bother
Bullying management and take people on just to cover knowing in three months they won’t have job. Everyone knows the bullying goes on but are so worried about keeping their job say nothing you’re on your own. They are great to who they help but treat staff appallingly and don’t follow disability laws
Generally good
Fairly flexible if you are, good communication as a rule and they do listen the majority of the time so far in my experience and obviously these are difficult times
Excellent staff administration (HR) and Volunteer Benefits, Flexible work-life balance
Excellent and very Positive memorable experiences. I learnt client;s contact management, non-discriminatory working environment, Data collection, production and social policy issues and essential needs for statistics, improve my office and file keeping on hard and soft ways of keepind records e.g.(daybook, files, data on desktop computers).
Fun community like workplace
Age Uk is a lovely place to volunteer as you do your utmost to help the charity. Working in the charity store gives you retail experience in respect to working with customers pushing the sales of particular items and learning adminitistrive procedures such as taking donations.
well organised, socially responsible
small hardworking team, covering entire county, good on line communications, good team atmosphere, enjoyed relationships built up with own regular customer/clients
Ageuk
It is a brilliant place to go to make friends and have a laugh while you’re working, you feel better in yourself knowing that you are helping them out and because it’s not a stressful environment.