AF Blakemore

AF Blakemore Employee Reviews

I can’t say that the job is bad - on itself it’s not. The problem is definitely with management. I guess due to the hierarchy in the company everyone is trying to cover their own a**, therefore regular staff is being treated really badly. As others mentioned, managers are forgetting about booked holidays and it is usually your fault, you’re being judged if you don’t want to do extra time (even if you have kids), very stressful environment due to the lack of healthy management. Some people there are crazy about their career (in retail shop? Can’t wait to become a manager/duty manager for just over £8), therefore they don’t hesitate to stab you in the back or complain about you to the management. Too much stress for not enough pay. Working all bank holidays and no bonuses for staff...well there are some... 10% discount excluding tobacco, alcohol and fuel and only in your store. Fun. No staff parties, like most businesses have at the end of the year. Add to it being understaffed, responsible for shoplifters (with no security on site) and blamed for everything at all times - this is work at Blakemore retail.
If you like getting up all hours of the morning anywhere from 02:30 to 06:00 and not being told until 7/8pm by text the night before then this is the job for you! It’s not just “pushing cages” either, you’ll be handballing cages into shops and fuel stations with really any help from staff. Make no mistake you earn every penny of your wages! Oh and not forgetting having to listen to longer serving drivers drone on about how it’s gone down hill etc
Pros
Cons
Never knowing what time you start until last thing the night before
I worked ther for 10 years so it can’t be too bad. Like a lot of companies in ever changing times, they’ll squeeze every minute out of you. But a lot of time it is actually quite fun.
The management are always trying to get you for any little mistake you make they will never come and help if you need it the targets for flt are a health and safety hazard and the trailers were never washed inside regularly so they always smell the best part about the company was the people that you worked with
Pros
good pay once year work trip
Cons
management
The boss karen is horrible to all her staff. If you dont mind having holidays refused, being made to come in when you are ill, being refused days off for emergencies, being spoke to and treat like something on the bottom of her shoe this is the place for you.
Pros
Outright terrible company, constant staff cuts to meet a budget. Constant changes in work hours, lazy management. Expectations and reality are two entirely different things.
Easy work. Rolling cages on and off the trucks. They take new passed drivers class 1 or class 2. Usually did on average 5 drops a day either local or long distance. They want you to work 5 days one week the 6 days the next. I worked through jobsworth recruitment in Halesowen. So I worked Mon-Fri £10 pH, Sat - £11 pH and Sunday £13 pH.
I have worked at a SPAR store for a year now and I honestly do not like it. Even as a sales assistant this job has caused me so much stress due to short PPE supplies, being shorted of staff and awful management. Just one of many examples I that they can't get the rota done without many problems occurring such as forgetting that a member of staff has booked time off, being short of staff during the manic days where you don't even have time for a break or leaving it till last minute (on a Saturday night) to out the rota up which means that some times you have to guess whether you are working Sunday (not good if you're doing the early shift 6 am till 3 pm). And yet after writing this, there is still loads more bad comments I can make.
Don't ever work there management don't know what they are doing nothing is in the right location when picking Awful company The hygiene is disgusting and your working with food
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Blakemore in the first 5_6 years, but as the company grew it became more and more stressful. In the end the job became less enjoyable
Expected no personal life. The management is the worst part of this job. The best part was the people you work with. Mind you watch your back, they are so ready to push you under a bus.
I was employed by this company for two years I was happy to get a job that you don't need to work weekend. But the manager in the knutsford shop is the worst bullied I have ever met. I know of two people she upset and had to leave because of the way she spoke to them and couldn't understand what I had done to her but she just hated me she never spoke to me all day ask if I was ok and just found fault with my spelling over all a bad experience.
Worked here for appox. 3 years. Really great staff and managers. Shame i had to leave. The work environment isn't really fast placed and once you get to know your customers you can have a whale of a time.
Pros
Relaxed workplace, little stess.
Cons
Minimum wage, shift changes due to lack of staff.
Avoid if you can Blame culture. A few really nice people but on the whole the atmosphere is toxic and poisonous. Don’t be fooled by the website the offices in Talbot Green do not follow the values of the so called Blakemore way! Watch for snakes who’ll do anything to get themselves up the ladder.
I had a stint there for 13 years moved on and I had another opportunity to rejoin. I was sold a dream of new investment in my store and all the support I needed. I was given a brief from area manager to wich I was achieving but he took sides with some bitter colleagues and then they pulled the 6 mths clause. Given 1 weeks notice I had no formal reviews in the time I was there nor did I have any support
Most staff have worked for the company for many years including senior managers. All are very set in their ways and have picked up very bad habits. The most offensive of these is the foul language and racist slurs which seem acceptable. Very poor duty teams with bad attitudes and a toxic environment. Do work here unless your desperate.
Working here for more than 5 years has taught me that AF Blakemore doesn't seem to care about it's staff. You can give a lot to this workplace, but it goes unnoticed and unrewarded with very basic pay even if you do more than your job entails. They are also not supportive in a way that would make your job easier because they get upset when they are to pay anything over £10 for you to be at less risk or more efficient but seem to be willing to pay for things that could have costed less. Overall it'll leave you feeling like a puppet.
The company is family run business but has no family values work 17 hour shifts as always short staffed have to work Christmas day have no support have members of staff taken off you to cover other stores don't get paid overtime work 50-60 hours a week you have no life out of spar your deliveries are always damaged or items missing I WOULDNT recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Cons
long hours no support
I don't need to say anymore than one of the most friendliest places I've worked at, great for self management of task and in-house training it is a place where you do have to ask for what you want but they do listen
was easy enough very flexible and supportive good perks and discounts through the business easy to get to good transport links plenty of opportunities to progress