AEGON Employee Reviews

Boring
DC Pensions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blackrock16 August 2017
Lovely people, the management was not good. no canteen and no parking. typical work day is 8:30 till 5. They are under staffed so always have a massive work load for you.
Customer service representative
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh12 August 2017
There are worse places to work. Was a fantastic job when I started but they gradually eroded the little perks you used to get.
They do tend to employ great people so you'll make some great friends and while the job can be stressful, you are generally paid well for it.
Back office is mostly flexi time and the call centre shift work.
Pros
Monday to Friday. Pretty social job
Cons
Call centre you're a bum on a seat
Good company for starting work in the Financial services sector
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 May 2017
I enjoyed working at Aegon, as it gave me an opportunity to get my foot in the door in the financial services sector. Although I was working in the Contact center, I found that it provided me we invaluable experience in many areas, such as working in a fast paced office environment, building up knowledge about pension products, and being able to communicate clearly and effectively about complicated financial products and services.
Its not necessarily for everyone, however, I have enjoyed my time there, and I found the company great to work with overall.
The only downside are the opportunities to progress within the contact center itself. After almost two years working there, the prospect of promotion, or moving up is always just out of reach, and seems to be more something that is used to entice people to join the company, rather than something that actually happens often.
Pros
Fairly easy 9-5 job, great atmosphere if you worked hard, recognition was great, training opportunities were always available
Cons
Progression further up the ladder seemed out of reach, target driven, dealing with customers by phone for 7 hours a day everyday
Direct Sales
Direct Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Midlothian8 February 2017
Make 150 Outbound calls per day to promote a new non-advised pension product. Hours were 12.00-8.30pm Mon-Thurs with a half day on either a Fri or Sat. No clarity on how to achieve commission which was advertised. Goalposts were changed regularly and not communicated with staff. Several managers couldn't manage their hair never mind a team of sales people.
Working life within Aegon
(CSR)Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Park Edinburgh27 January 2017
Aegon was by far one of the best employers I have had the company itself has a strong pay and progression ethic that definitely filters through to all members of staff .
It is one of the few companies that do actually take the time care and effort to help and further the careers of there employees by providing sufficient training coaching and support in all areas that anemployee may feel they would like to achieve more in .
Pros
Above minimum wage salary, Paid and flexible leave
Cons
Demanding work schedule
Hard work and not appreciated
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, Midlothian27 November 2016
Long hours with no appreciation or acknowledgement.

Management change their minds and do not have a clear work plan.

Benefits are being changed for redundancies which indicates redundancies are being considered.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long Hours, Management
Good work life balance
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh12 September 2016
Very busy, demanding role, with priorities changing throughout the day. I have gained a vast knowledge in the Pensions Industry working here and there are always opportunities to move on to other areas if you wish via the internal job database.

Large department, however most of the team work well with other colleagues and assist in training and general day to day queries.

The hardest part of the job is finding fairness in the statistics that are being used with the recently introduced new pay and progression model. There is and still are alot of questions being raised with managers regards to this which will hopefully be sorted out fairly and soon.

Your day goes fast and the work is varied and interesting.
Pros
Onsite Parking and Restaurant, Flexible working
Cons
Pay & Progression Model
Good workplace
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh10 July 2016
Good workplace, good benefits, salary isn't the best, a lot of the managers are absolutely useless, not interested in keeping staff, high staff turnover due to poor management.
Pros
Work/home life balance
Cons
Managers thinking they are above you
short reviw
Complaints Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh11 April 2016
Aegon is consistently slow to react to changes in work volume mean it's always under resourced. It's idea of career progression is to place staff based on salary rather than ability.
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary, poor progression and development, achievable workload.
Product based company and Friendly Env
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom7 April 2016
My benefits it is application to provide different type of flexible, standard benefits. It is mainly web based application to communicate employee benefits provided by a company to allow the user to perform pension forecasts and for companies and employees
Pros
Free Pension scheme policy for all permanent employees
Good people and big focus on employee engagement
Direct Sales Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh8 March 2016
Aegon is a good place to work, the staff are treated well and are encouraged to contribute ideas and skills to help achieve the clearly defined company goals.
Pros
Good location; Engaging culture
Cons
Some evening and weekend work
Pension Administration Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City4 December 2015
Amongst my general duties is to support the Section Manager to recognise and reward excellent performance in the team through our Net Promoter Score reward system. It is my responsibility to ensure that those rewarded can demonstrate their performance, and display notifications of praise around the department and ensure the recipient receives a certificate of exceptional performance. This helps maintain morale and motivation within the team. Other duties include liaising with Independent Financial Advisers to set-up pension policies and manage queries and complaints, should they arise. I have also developed my skills in prioritising my workload using a new Customer Optimization process.
Pros
on site parking, flexible working in place
Good Working environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT10 November 2015
I enjoy working for AEGON however there are no big challenges. I thrive on learning new skills. The management team could be more organised when we are busy and have high absence levels. The pay package should be much better considering the knowledge you need for the job.
Pros
Weekdays only
Cons
catering isn't great
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh19 September 2015
Experienced customer service professional used to fielding high volume calls, providing an exceptional level of service
Mixed Review
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT8 August 2015
Staff are very pleasant but do not unfortunately listen to the main staff who answer the phone and speak to the public who bring the business to them. If you need a day off urgently you will not get it. You sign what you are advised is a flexible contract that flexes both ways but only ever seems to flex one way. The company no matter how many complaints they receive about systems and system outage they refuse to spend the money required to bring the systems up to date. Due to this the company are losing business and also staff as they are fed up with the abuse and the pity given to them by customers and advisors in return.
You are also expected to cancel holidays for training and expected to do extra roles with no extra pay.
Pros
Some of the staff that you work with
Cons
everything else
Good employer
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT3 August 2015
I worked in various teams over the years and made great friendships across the company. There are lots of in-house facilities that you won't find elsewhere i.e. multi story car park, restaurant, shop, gym, football pitches, free WiFi, Barclay's branch, etc. There is a yearly bonus scheme and overtime is widely available. I've enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Great in house facilities and multi story car park
Cons
Salaries could be higher
good opportunities for staff development
Direct Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT12 June 2015
A typical day for me , engaging with my team on a 121 basis every day, this could be anything from a quick speed chat going over the previous days performance or listening to customer calls, giving feedback and tips on how to improve the customer experience, and ensuring all conversations are Risk compliant.

I engaged alot with my team, I have learned that this is the way to get results from them...'sell not tell' working on this principle I have built good relationships with my team.

Hardest part of the job has been the transition to managment , stepping out of one's comfort zone has been challanging.. ie disciplinery hearings etc, never easy, managing 'stat

The rewards of the job, watching staff develop through coaching and training, to then hear on a call how they have delighted the customer with their pension knowledge and engagment all made for a good day.. job done.customer happy.

To Listen, to understand and resolve our customer's issue, anything from avoiding formal complaints to ..just making the customer feel important
Pros
parking, good benefits i.e health, quaterly bonus and annual bonus
Cons
working hours/weekends
Meh
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 February 2015
within the training period i fell due to over heating in the smallest and most packed room ever and due to this i have a slightly lazy eye at times now and scarred by eye also.
Aegon
With Profits Fund Restructure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT23 December 2014
Same comments as my previous positive review. One of the best places I've contracted in yet.
Not a good place to work and laughable salary
Pensions Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 November 2014
This has to be one of the lowest paying jobs in Edinburgh Park, I was on a temp contract of £7.50 per hour which I was then told this would go up to...wait for it....£14.5k if made permanent! Wow! no wonder the staff turnover in this place is so high in the few months I was there in a team of 20 approximately 2 people left every month.

Staff are pushed to meet unrealistic targets with little training or help given and there is a massive blame culture with this company quick enough to put the blame on you but not so quick to thank you if you do a god job!

Unless you like getting paid peanuts for a job where you could easily get paid £5k more across the road do not work here guys believe me you will regret it!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AEGON. Our community is ready to answer.

AEGON Reviews by Location