Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7 reviews
Busy office
Understaffed I provided employment guidance and advice to employers, employees, lawyers and trade unions. This covered all areas of employment law. I also provided advice regarding managing staff, managing performance and addressing disciplinary and grievance issues. I promoted the benefits of ‘best practice’ and discussed options to avoid or resolve workplace disputes.
Pros
local
Cons
no time to mix
A busy but friendly atmosphere
My role mainly involved answering telephone calls and putting information onto a database. I also typed many settlements for my Conciliators.
I developed a deeper understanding of the workplace environment.Managers were friendly and you knew what was expected of you. There was always a friendly atmosphere a Conciliator would always share experience about a difficult mediation matter.

The hardest part of the job was to ensure that each Conciliator had an even number of cases. The most enjoyable part of the day was typing the employment settlements.
Pros
Annual team Away days
Cons
large numbers of Tribunal claims
Terrible Management - Do not work here if you have a disability
The job is interesting enough. Advising people about employment law and exploring options is good and fulfilling but sometimes it can take it's toll.

Sadly ACAS is really let down by the fact that despite being the best practice experts and having a privileged position it cannot practice what it preaches. On the helplines you are a resource there to take calls and be quiet the rest of the time. Despite the call content being heavy going you get 10 seconds between calls.

Managers can be quite sadistic. If they see someone is struggling then they just want to fill the seat and get someone else in to take the calls. It can be so bad they will deliberately push people with mental health problems to the point of a mental health breakdown with no thought that one day they may push someone too far. At the same time ACAS makes hundreds of thousands every year delivering training to SMEs about how they can best support their staff with mental health issues and disabilities.

I'm led to believe the corporate side of the business is good to work for. Helpline is a different beast all together. Do not work on the ACAS helpline if you have a disability.
Pros
2x paid breaks a day, decent pay
Cons
Treated like a machine, managers will look to replace you if you struggle, sadistic management, staff pushed to self harm, discriminates against people with disabilities
Good People
Acas has a real purpose and I have enjoyed my time working with them coming across some fantastic hardworking people. There is real flexibility at acas and the management care about your health and wellbeing.
Pros
Hardworking Employees
Good atmosphere
Advised on employment law issues. Friendly colleagues and good breaks. Computer systems was not the best and some of the management were poor, especially mid-management
exciting and fun workplace
For me, ACAS was a time that I found very enjoyable and beneficial in terms of gaining expirience and learning new skills that i have now developed and ready to transfer in a fully paid job.
Pro-active in customer service
Heavy telephone communicaton with customers and varied duties per rota. Each day brought new challenges and kept the job interesting. Co-workers each had unique personalities which provided interesting ideas to improve the way the team interacted amongst ourselves and the customer. I enjoiyed the variety of tasks and dealing with customers from all over the country.
Pros
Always something new to learn every day
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours in the day!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service. Our community is ready to answer.
Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service Reviews by Location