Addaction Employee Reviews

Worked as part of tender provision
Business Administrator / data lead (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire2 October 2019
Was devastated when Addaction lost the contract with my local authority to a service who under estimated the cost of the service they could provide and subsequently went into administration. I would happily work for Addaction again. It was a pleasure.
Pros
Great leadership and work life balance
Cons
Opporates on a tender basis to local authorities, can be on a short term basis dependant on contract length
Awful.
Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire23 August 2019
Worked here for a year and watched 19 colleagues, including myself, bullied, harrassed & forced out of their jobs by underhand tactics by management. So much stress in the job due to unsafe working practices & sky high caseloads. Loved working with that client group, but no backup from management. If this sort of work appeals to you, my advice would be find a different organisation.
Poor management, head office are invisible.
Recovery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester23 July 2019
It’s the frontline staff that keep Addaction going, management is non existent, with the ivory towers management never seen or heard from.
Addaction staff are badly paid for the job they do and most Addaction staff are looking to leave. The fact that there are around 30 members of staff on NHS contracts and are paid £10,000+ more a year doing the same job is a complete joke.
Total disharmony amongst staff with the place being run on a wing and a prayer.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor salary
Excellent place to work.
Substance Misuse Officer (Former Employee) –  South Lanarkshire29 June 2019
The only reason I left was because I moved abroad and set up 2 successful businesses abroad but I could not fault this organisation.

If I did not move to Tenerife I would probably say this was the best organisation I have ever worked for.
Pros
Amazing teamwork.
Cons
N/a
Shocked at the lack of leadership
Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside22 May 2019
I wanted to walk out after my first 3 weeks.
I really don't understand how a service that is so important is led so badly. I feel sorry for the staff who work there who give they're all but are met with totally unrealistic targets.
The salary they now pay is an absolute joke and doesn't balance with the amount of pressure you're placed under.
Think twice before taking a post here. I really wish I did. People leaving in droves...its a complete failure from the top brass. They really need to take a look at whats going on
Pros
Supporting clients
Cons
Poor leadership
What are they doing!!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway28 April 2019
I spent time volunteering with this service and was absolutely shocked at the lack of leadership and direction provided to staff by management.
I have lived experience of addiction and felt I was at a stage in my recovery that I was able to give something to others still struggling with this disease. I ended up leaving this service astounded by the lack of knowledge and experience managers had in addiction and here they were attempting to provide an addiction service.
When are funders of charities like saddaction going to realise that organisations like this are only capable of delivering the minimal service possible as they don't invest in their staff. An online training module does not qualify staff to work in this field. I feel sorry for people in Dumfries looking for support with their addiction only having this service as an option its no wonder most only rely on the NHS.
Come on Dumfries educate yourself!!
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
No vision or direction
Mikey Mouse organisation!
Recovery Worker (Current Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway2 April 2019
Only interested in winning contracts!! Undercut other organisations to win contracts, then pay staff off. Senior managment in Scotland are unsupportive, lack knowledge, ability and competence. Previous manager was allowed to abuse his position for years until he was sacked as a result of the care commission being contacted. Current manager is out of his depth. Training and supervision does not equip or enable staff to work with such a vulnerable service user group.

Staff moral is at rock bottom resulting in arguments, back stabbing and atmospheres.
Pros
Cons
Staff are undervalued
destroyed a professional team of dedicated employees
Recovery Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire22 March 2019
Professional team of worker dedicated to making positive change systematically destroyed a recovery focused service to replace it with a maintainence and prescribing service that so far from being person centred And more funding lead.
Pros
leaving.
Cons
Positive work environment very supportive and excellent in hose management training programme.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove22 October 2018
Responsible for 20+ full time team members in two locations, facilitating a volunteer training programme and volunteer counselling service. Provision of quarterly monitoring reports based on database statistics and regular financial reporting to the NHS, Local Authorities, Probation Service and the European Social Fund. I found the work stressful at times and often worked out of hours which added to the feelings of isolation. I began to miss the face to face support services that were more hands on although my attitude has always been to focus on the bigger picture and turn problems into opportunities for learning.
Pros
Expenses from Brighton to London covered. Good career development and progression opportunities.
Cons
Cost of living increases outweigh yearly salary increases.
Amazing place - No longer exists
Family Intervention Officer (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells30 September 2018
Amazing role learning from all different sectors. Supportive and care for their staff.
Benefits with the job spot on especially with travel.
Charity that support mental health and substance misuse.
Pros
The Job
Cons
Lost funding.
Interesting Workplace - need to review management
Prescribing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire22 August 2018
¬oversee the clinical administration:
generating prescriptions
booking clinic appointments
work closely with clinicians
prescriptions batch runs (send to chemists, drivers collected and posted)
Recording prescriptions as per policy
liaising with pharmacies, hospitals, prisons
¬learnt:
knowledge around substance abuse (alcohol & drugs)
became confident in dealing with conflict and unexpected issues
learnt to think quickly on my feet when a prescription issue arisen
became assertive as workers expect to be a P.A. even though dealing with prescriptions is a lot of responsbility
¬management:
top level - useless, not consistent and lack of communication and never around during big changes for support and clarity
team leaders - supportive and took on a lot of work when short on staff.
¬workplace culture:
unfortunately project workers were expected to take on more on their caseload, cutting costs, not replacing staff but the staff always prioritised clients and their safety. Amazing Team as helped each other out but quite negative as a consequence and overworked/tired of no change.
Pros
toil, team
Cons
inconsistency in pay even though same roles
Rewarding and Challenging workplace
Recovery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Penzance19 August 2018
Addaction is a client driven oganisation which leans heavily on the client's best outcome. Non judgemental and client driven.
Targets must be met in order to maintain the safety of customers
Cons
Inadequate computer systems, stressful emotional days
Strong ethical values
Policy Officer (Former Employee) –  Home Based14 August 2018
Addaction work with passion and integrity to improve people's lives.
I worked from home and enjoyed the freedom, though would have liked a little more interaction with others.
The values of compassion, resilience and inclusivity are evident everywhere.
Pros
28 days holiday, strong ethics
Cons
long hours, poor career progression
Poorly managed, effort not often recognised
Administrator (Current Employee) –  England8 June 2018
Over the past 5 years I've become used to the poor way in which management operate and have witnessed colleagues who have spent years putting in huge effort never recognised resulting in my team having now little to no motivation. Senior Leadership Team is constantly changing, seem oblivious and are lacking clear direction. I'm concerned for the organisation's future.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Great organisation to work for
Director of Operations, Greater London (Current Employee) –  London2 April 2018
Addaction are an organisation who live their values which makes them an ethical and highly moral organisation.

During my 14 years with the company I have been listened to, valued, developed, promoted and had a career break. Overall a very rewarding organisation to work for.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Can be easy to fall in to working long hours, however a work-life balance is strongly encouraged
Lovely company
Worker (Current Employee) –  Uk26 February 2018
Great company with a brilliant ethos
Recovery focused approach as oppossed to harm minimisation however remain safe and clkent focused
Low pay is a concern
learnt to trust my own ideas
Young Person's Worker Addaction Brent London (Former Employee) –  London19 February 2018
This was a service that was the first of its kind rolled out the community. policy writing, Marketing, setting meetings, developing training packages was part of the role.
Pros
learnt new ways of working
Staff
Young Person (Former Employee) –  Faversham18 January 2018
The staff were literally so lovely, instead of mentors they felt more like friends and honestly I have such a nice time with them and I could trust them with anything knowing I could trust them.
Fun Workplace
Recovery Champion (Former Employee) –  St Helens5 October 2017
Was a very fun company to work for, always having a laugh in the recovery centre, and it was a very close-knit community. Some of the higher up management in the building where a bit worse than usual, and their positive descrimination against my disabilities is what caused me to have to leave a job i loved
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Upper Management
An ok place to work to make a difference, but can be under appreciated
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland3 October 2017
Workloads are high due to funding cuts from the Government, which makes it increasingly hard to run services properly.
I learned a lot over the years and in different roles.