Active Assistance Employee Reviews

Client was lovely but support from company was poor.
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex6 November 2018
Not paid correctly or on time.No payslips when requested.
Working practices breeched. No time for breaks on 12 hr shift. Lack of communication with office.
Pros
Great client
Cons
Long hours and low pay for complex care.
Very fulfilling
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham1 October 2018
Good training. Amazing support from the management. They are wonderful they offer you the best support. The clients are very good. I enjoy it a lot...
Pros
Good support system from management and clients
Cons
None so far
Fulfilling
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  England26 September 2018
I've been with active for 3 months now and can honestly say that it has been a blast. I've never been short of work which If I was honest I was a little worried about when I started being a zero hour contract, but the work is there if you're willing to do it. The clients for the most part have been great, obviously each client is different and some can be more demanding and stressful than others but I've never felt like I've been out of my depth with the job. If I could pick a negative with the job it would be the training, that being there's not enough practical training and is more focused on the power point lessons.
Pros
Fulfilling, fun and a good challenge
Cons
None that I can think of.
Actives HR and payrol staff are consistantly unhelpful. Managers, training and clients are great.
P.A (Current Employee) –  South of England25 September 2018
If you want to spend every month chasing money that they've missed off your salary, then this is the job for you. The office staff are not on the ball at all, but worst of all they really don't care. It's a shame as it's really basic stuff their failing on but to P.As it's paramount to whether they decide to stay or leave. My manager is however lovely and will support you with anything you need. The training is excellent and repeated annually plus there are additional training opportunities. The clients are very plessant to work for too. I would give this job 5 stars if it wasn't for the head office staff they really do drag the firm down.
Pros
Training opportunities, lovely clients, supportive managers
Cons
Office staff's attitude and competence.
Awful experience.
Live In Carer (Former Employee) –  England3 August 2018
A bunch of incompetent fools in the office, the majority do not know what they are doing. As far as I am concerned, so long as there is a PA in the clients house they no longer care.
Some clients are nice. Others are far from nice and extremely verbally abusive.

The pay? If you're looking for pocket money, go ahead.
Pros
Pros? There are none.
Cons
The company themselves.
productive
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 April 2018
staff are very friendly and the clients are amazing. staff are supportive and understanding. best job I've had so far. hours are flexible. only work in a care setting if your a devoted
Ridiculous Company
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom1 April 2018
Offered a 20 hour contract after working for the company for over two years. I accepted. Four years down the line and they've removed my contract. Put me on zero hours without speaking to me, taken me off my usual shift patterns and completely messed up my life hence the job hunt. The office do not care about their clients they just care if there is a body to fill in shifts or any gaps in the rota. A lot of the PAs sent to work on packages that are unable to communicate effectively because they cannot speak English.
This is not a very good company to work for or be one of their clients.
Pros
Cons
Lots and lots.
Great place to work!
Customer Services and Safeguarding Manager (Current Employee) –  Sevenoaks, Kent19 February 2018
I have worked at Head Office for about a year now and I am so pleased I joined. The people are great, everyone helps each other and pull together when needed. Overall a great place to work with plenty of opportunities. I have already progressed within the company in the year that I have been here.
Pros
The lovely people
Cons
None that I can think of
I love my job and my clients
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 February 2018
Zero hours is perfect for me as I tell when I want work and when I am not available. I always have lots of work and office staff always nice and help when I call. My training I enjoyed and I meet such good people
Pros
Nice happy kind office staff and nice cluents
Cons
More money would not say no
Great caring staff and good managers
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2018
I feel my queries are answered when I contact the office and the managers have been helpful when I call them. The training was great and prepared me for my work
Pros
Happy helpful office staff
Cons
Some long hours with some clients
A great fun place to work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sevenoaks, Kent12 February 2018
Care Coordination is a pretty thankless task, it is hard work and stressful, so what makes me want to stay. The bottom line is, I work with a great team, from our MD down, people are supportive and caring. The team I work in are incredibly supportive, we really are a "team" in every sense of the word. The senior management care about their staff and invest huge amounts of time on supporting us in all aspects of our lives, not just those that relate to work. In my 50 years of working I can honestly say that this is the best team I have ever worked with.
Pros
Supportive, caring but fun place to work
Cons
No one ever said no to more money....
caring family atmosphere- excellent management
live in carer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2018
I feel very supported and valued in my role as a PA.
Some PAs complaint about their clients or their zero hours contract- why stay and carry on working for the company? I find that the management in Sevenoaks all answer quickly to my queries and always listen to me. A job is what you make it and Active have always supported me and help me to progress.
Pros
caring, supportive, excellent management
Cons
mixed experiences for both clients and staff
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  Nationwide6 February 2018
I think a 3 star rating is probably fairly generous, the clients have a very mixed experience with AA. Some clients have terrible problems with very inexperienced PAs for example. For the staff, it really varies a lot.

My own experience as a live-in PA was more or less positive, I was lucky to get an excellent client and an excellent manager to match. So conditions for me were good. The pay is pretty bad, it works out at about minimum wage per hour. Even with free accommodation and food and travel added in, this is not a well paid job. For live in PA's it's a zero hours contract so on paper at least you have zero job security, you're guaranteed nothing. However if you work hard and have a good attitude the clients will want to hold on to you. So your job security comes from your aptitude at work.

Overall a mixed bag really, some good points and bad points. The management could definitely improve. Retention of PA's is a big problem as it is across the industry for most companies in the social care sector.
Pros
free accommodation for live in PAs
Cons
minimum wage per hour
Great start up job
Carer (Former Employee) –  Kent16 January 2018
Active assisstants management is questionable. They are quick to question you about something but are not there when you need them. They took ages to even talk about putting you through studies as well
the good work ethic
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  nationwide14 November 2017
I was Working with a great group of people. Working in well organised, exciting workplace, the work given was very flexible. To changeover to another company will be a new challenge.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Supportive network
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Home based12 June 2017
My colleagues and manager are the best ive ever had, you work hard but everyone is passionate about the care of the clients.
Managing my own diary is great for me and my manager does not micro manage so you are free to grow into your role and can make the role your own while building confidence in decision making.
Pros
Managing your own diary
Cons
Lots of traveling
Not a good company to work for.
Clinical Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampshire21 March 2017
They are not fair to their own employees and not good with their clients. No benefits. No mileage pay but sent to work elsewhere miles away. They have pretty poor response to their workers.
Pros
Clients are very good
Cons
No benefits, no mileage pay not suitable hours etc... .
Management is really poor
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  All around UK28 February 2017
It's live in carer job and everything is fine about working with clients around UK, but mostly of time if you don't have regular client you must write emails and ring to the company to give you some assignments(because is zero hour contract) if they answer of course, because without assignment you don't have work and mostly of time you have problem with company like they don't replay back on emails, they do mistake on payslip you get incorrect salary ,basicly they just don't care for carers because they see us that we are just a number in the company and because of that a lot of good carers are leaving the company and every week they provide trening course to new people to start working with them mostly foreign workers working in activ assistance .
Pros
You meet some good clients
Cons
Long hours, must travel all around UK, Sometimes you must cover expenses with your own money like( hotel room, train ticket) you get it back on the end of month
Good company
Care service manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 January 2017
Good company who put they're clients welfare paramount I enjoy working for this company
Good training
Good HR process and support
I can recommend this company to both clients and PA's the staff are caring
When applying references are thourally checked and all staff have a DBS check
No member of staff is taken if their references are negative
Pros
Paid travel to assignments
workplace
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oswestry, Shropshire5 January 2017
Everyday Tasks such as personal care, cooking. cleaning.shopping.
Assisting in and out of bed
medication.
I have Learned how to assist people with spinal problems.
Hardest part of the job is some days you get no breaks throughout the day then some days you get no breaks.
I enjoy helping/assisting people with everyday tasks and needs.
Management is not the best as the head office is in Kent and not many of the office staff there knows what goes on everyday in the spinal rehab bungalows.
The staff that are there at the moment are mostly live in's helping out as there's only me originally there.
Cons
long hours some days without breaks and some days more breaks less work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Active Assistance. Our community is ready to answer.

Active Assistance Reviews by Location