ACTION ON HEARING LOSS Employee Reviews

Fun and Welcoming
Receptionist (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2018
I loved volunteering at Action On Hearing Loss.
I worked on reception, and learnt a lot on the job. Great office culture too.
Learnt a lot, and was sad to leave.
awful place to work
care staff (Former Employee) –  canterbury roper house25 April 2018
Staff are lazy and managers ignorant. No actual caring for residents and staff leave residents sitting all day. Dreadful staff culture and dangerous practice.
Pros
residents are great
Cons
poor management
Care side (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent17 April 2018
The residents are lovely and care work is fine. The managers are running it wrong I think. No appriciation. Some of the staff are good but most of them are lazy. No activities with residents just cup of tea biscuits and TV. And basic pc.
Would not recommend
Pros
Lots work to do
Cons
Low wage. Management low. Friendship no.
Fulfilling
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex3 April 2018
I love working here, being a relief support worker helps maintain a good balance between working and university, the management are fantastic and would definitely recommend applying to work if you're interested in care.
Job work/life balance
Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 February 2018
It is long hours but it is hugely benefical to see how people we support have improved, no matter how small improvement is. I feel lucky that at the end of the shift, I always go home knowing that I have made somebodys day.
Pros
People we support's happy faces
Cons
Long hours/Not lot of flexibility
Excellent volunteer role
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 February 2018
Loved every second of it, invaluable experience gained. Highly recommend to anyone with an interest or affiliation with hearing loss. Great staff. Would do again.
my Views
Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Westgate on Sea, Kent13 October 2017
The hard work and look job.
I used to care for people who were Deaf with a learning disability
I would help them to wash and look after themselves.
I would help people with cooking their meals and shopping and budgeting.
I worked in supported living homes and residential homes.
I learned about autism, learning difficulties. I worked with both Deaf and hearing people.
The culture of the organization was normal- staff were helpful.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who had autism and who had challenging behavior - I found it difficult to calm them down.
The best part of the job was working with Deaf people as I was able to communicate.
Pros
People, hours, environment
Cons
I would have liked more hours
productive and fun work place
flexi senior (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent28 September 2017
made me more confident in decision-making and problem-solving. gave me an opportunity to learn BSL and to know and understand the deaf community. gave me an opportunity in progress in my career as a senior support worker.
Pros
free BSL training
Cons
low hourly rate
Disgraceful
Deputy Manager/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire17 June 2017
Work at this place at your peril. They are only interested in money and nothing else. They do not care about the shop floor staff who work really hard or the people who matter the most...the service users. Its all about money and making sure paperwork is in place.
You spend the entire shift on the computer and spend no time with the service users
The money is shocking too considering you are working weekends and key days ie Xmas etc
Pros
Support stall and service users are great
Cons
Too many to mention
fun, rewarding
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent30 May 2017
the kitchen team especially at action on hearing loss made the job easy to live with people were easy going you could have a laugh, I was able to learn new cooking techniques that I hadn't tried before, as well as the chance to further my career with on the job qualifications. it was rewarding working with the deaf community as I have a deaf brother and I enjoyed talking to the service users through the use of sign language, the hours are reasonable usually a 8 hour shift pattern unless you do decide to pick up overtime which is entirely optional.
Pros
free lunches, good hours, decent salary
A feel good feeling about what we do
Group Administrator (Current Employee) –  London1 April 2017
It is great to have such a constant communication with the care homes so you can see the effect your work has on real people's lives. The work is challenging but worth it.
Productive and fun place
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset9 February 2017
Very friendly environment, good team work, very friendly staffs, very productive teams. Manager is very good and helpful if you have any problem at work and does resolve the problems.
Pros
Extra shift if need too.
Workplace
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent4 December 2016
Company seems more concerned with how their residence looks rather than making sure their clients have a fulfilling day.

There is a "who you know" rather than what you know culture to the management and they do not seem to value their staff. Hiding their clients from the general public.

James New
Pros
Hardworking Staff
Cons
Liberty of Choice
Positive culture
Senior Research and Policy Officer (Current Employee) –  London7 October 2016
Pleasant, supportive environment. There is a clear strategy, and individual objectives fit to the strategy.

They offer flexible hours.

Colleagues are friendly and helpful. Management is supportive.

The hardest part of the job is responding to the changing political climate.
Pros
Great colleagues, good development oportunities
Cons
Lower pay
Long hours, stressful work, not appreciated.
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kent5 September 2016
This company seems more concerned with how their residence looks rather than making sure their clients have a fulfilling day.

There is a "who you know" rather than what you know culture to the management and they do not seem to value their staff. They consider all staff expendable and easily replaced.
Pros
Fun working with the clients
Cons
Long hours, not being appreciated, untrustworthy management
Inclusive and friendly culture
Client Services Delivery Lead (Former Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset20 November 2015
From my experience this is a very supportive place to work at: friendly and inclusive colleagues and supportive attitude from management to 'can do' and 'go extra mile' employee's approach.
Productive workplace at times
Outreach Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ENG17 April 2015
It is a good company and very beneficial for the service users, they are deaf and the staff are deaf so communication between them is smooth. However, the management inside the company are disorganised, un-coperative and has a lack of communication. Communication with manager is extremely poor. Very unreliable. Doesn't reply to emails or texts until is necessary for manager to respond even when the matter is important. Hardly get notified about service users changes. Doesn't admit faults, puts blame on others. Forgets the policy at work as supposed to follow.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Late wages, poor organisation, lack of communication
Amazing service users, exciting daily routine as it changes all the time.
Community Support worker/ Bank staff (Current Employee) –  ENG7 January 2015
A typical day here involves striving to promote the independence of each and every service user in every day tasks.Undertaking the tasks requested by the service user in whatever they want to do, that may be going shopping for them or where possible with them, going to the hairdressers or bank, doctors or just out in general.
Pros
Always something new to do.
Cons
Not regular hours and changes alot
Friendly Place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG22 May 2014
I provided emotional support and assisted clients in developing a higher level of independence in order to improve their communication and social skills on a daily basis.

This work has taught me how to communicate with clients about sensitive issues in an appropriate manner, understanding, and being prepared for, their reactions. It has significantly improved my own communication skills, my patience, and my initiative. As a result of this work I have become more aware of my own values and beliefs, while showing respect for all persons and their values, beliefs, cultures, goals, needs and preferences.
Brilliant Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Events Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ENG23 March 2014
A long standing volunteering commitment which is both a constant development of my skill set and also a wonderfully rewarding experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACTION ON HEARING LOSS. Our community is ready to answer.

ACTION ON HEARING LOSS Reviews by Location