Action On Hearing Loss

Action On Hearing Loss Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
Good Work Place
Action on Hearing Loss is a great place to work. A lot of the employee's are friendly and great to work alongside. They offer great employee benefits and do great work which supports a lot of people who need it.
Fun workplace
A good place to volunteer and gain experience. Working with patients and families, fixing hearing aids and gaining an insight into audiology. All costs of travel covered.
Excellent
I have enjoyed working here I have many experience. It is suitable for me as I am deaf myself. It is a deaf environment base . The manager and staff are lovely we all work as a team. I love supporting my clients. I have been a carer nearly 8 years. My duties are promoting their independence, emotional, physical and social development. I give medication, support them with daily tasks. I do care plans.
A good place to work
Fairly paid and excellent training provided.
You also get to learn British Sign Language.

Due to the fact that the environment is of a caring nature, the people employed tend to also be very caring and supportive of their colleagues.
Awful and not what you would expect of a charity
This organisation is badly run, and has some unprofessional staff and incompetent management. I would not bother if you want job security or a company which respects their staff.
Not a good place to work.
I didn't a right lot of help when I volunteered for them.

I just collected money for them because they wouldn't give me other volunteering work.
disapointing, broken promises, scapegoated
I absolutely loved my job here, worked 110% even though the pay would't show for this.
I brought things to the service which improved the health and wellbeing of the PWS. Most of the team were lovely.

Even though was common knowledge that a senior member of staff was a bully and thoroughly tried to put me down at any moment.

Then sadly was scapegoated for the unthinkable and my job was taken away from me so the company 'wasn't sued' for their flaws.

I'm still suffering for PTSD.
Pros
Lovely residents, nice home environment, nice staff
Cons
Poor money, long hours, large workloads, sleepins
Relief Support Worker
I working with personal care, one to one support, doing cleaning and cooking, supporting them with their independent. I have involved managing the medication. Health and Safety. COSHH.
Person centred
Hard work at times, same as other places but a good team. good training for staff and a chance to do level 3 and level 5 qualifications. Supportive for the people living there. Person centred approach is genuine. Not just a buzzword
Pros
Lunch/dinner/ good sick pay and benefits/training paid for
Cons
Challenging at times
Lovely people to work with
Very supportive workplace. Very worthwhile cause. Helpful staff who work collaboratively. Can do attitude. Teams work well together and seek new ways of working.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
Average salary
Fun and Welcoming
I loved volunteering at Action On Hearing Loss.
I worked on reception, and learnt a lot on the job. Great office culture too.

Learnt a lot, and was sad to leave.
Excellent
Working for Action on Hearing Loss Cymru has been a wonderful experience, with supportive management and great colleagues. Fantastic charity, good location, good offices.
Its been great
I need to work part time no responsibilities Idont want loads of e mails to read every day, I want to work with people

The company is a charity that has been a good pklace to work

with great people to support, and great staff teams over the years
Pros
it was excellent
Cons
its changed
awful place to work
Staff are lazy and managers ignorant. No actual caring for residents and staff leave residents sitting all day. Dreadful staff culture and dangerous practice.
Pros
residents are great
Cons
poor management
The residents are lovely and care work is fine. The managers are running it wrong I think. No appriciation. Some of the staff are good but most of them are lazy. No activities with residents just cup of tea biscuits and TV. And basic pc.
Would not recommend
Pros
Lots work to do
Cons
Low wage. Management low. Friendship no.
Fulfilling
I love working here, being a relief support worker helps maintain a good balance between working and university, the management are fantastic and would definitely recommend applying to work if you're interested in care.
Job work/life balance
It is long hours but it is hugely benefical to see how people we support have improved, no matter how small improvement is. I feel lucky that at the end of the shift, I always go home knowing that I have made somebodys day.
Pros
People we support's happy faces
Cons
Long hours/Not lot of flexibility
Excellent volunteer role
Loved every second of it, invaluable experience gained. Highly recommend to anyone with an interest or affiliation with hearing loss. Great staff. Would do again.
my Views
The hard work and look job.
I used to care for people who were Deaf with a learning disability

I would help them to wash and look after themselves.

I would help people with cooking their meals and shopping and budgeting.

I worked in supported living homes and residential homes.

I learned about autism, learning difficulties. I worked with both Deaf and hearing people.

The culture of the organization was normal- staff were helpful.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who had autism and who had challenging behavior - I found it difficult to calm them down.

The best part of the job was working with Deaf people as I was able to communicate.
Pros
People, hours, environment
Cons
I would have liked more hours
productive and fun work place
made me more confident in decision-making and problem-solving. gave me an opportunity to learn BSL and to know and understand the deaf community. gave me an opportunity in progress in my career as a senior support worker.
Pros
free BSL training
Cons
low hourly rate
Disgraceful
Work at this place at your peril. They are only interested in money and nothing else. They do not care about the shop floor staff who work really hard or the people who matter the most...the service users. Its all about money and making sure paperwork is in place.
You spend the entire shift on the computer and spend no time with the service users

The money is shocking too considering you are working weekends and key days ie Xmas etc
Pros
Support stall and service users are great
Cons
Too many to mention