Action for Children

Action for Children Employee Reviews

United Kingdom170 reviews
Excellent employers in a challenging industry
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with AfC. The interview process was engaging and the induction was a bit better than average though I had previous experience. Hi

The job was stressful and, for me at least, it was difficult to disengage at home but that's standard for the sector.

The salary and benefits are competitive and fair.

The training and development opportunities were exceptional. The organisation has a range of projects and their commitment to child welfare is inspiring, the learning and advancement opportunities are a big plus. I was able to meet and mingle with high level management events which is an excellent way to advance a career.
Incredibly disappointed
When I started this job I was very excited to work for Action For Children. My recent experiences have created huge negative feelings and thoughts on the organisation as a whole. You are 100% just a number in this big organisation and they will do nothing to look after you as an individual or your wellbeing. Higher up managers just care about the money. Very charitable of the “charity”.
I enjoyed it very much.
I enjoyed being with the children everyday and building a relationship with them. What I enjoyed the most was helping the young children develop a sense of confidence within themselves and make a difference to their life.
West Lothian Therapeutic Service No day is the same
Staff including management are so supportive and young people are fun to be with. It is a very rewarding place to work. Management is professional my induction was was over 2 days and very good, we have continuous development available to all employees Love working for this service and like I said no two days are the same.
good envoironment and good work place
it is a good office environment to work and learnt new accounts package operating system . I have built up my experience and confidence . There was good management.
Construction course
This was mostly theory based training in a classroom environment. I was introduced to the basics of working on a construction site including; manual handling, abrasive wheels, PASMA and health & safety issues.
Excelkant company to work for
Friendly but supportive team
Hard working with attention to detail.

Great on customer service and meeting payment deadline.

Regular group meetings and updates within the department.

Great social team.
Re structure as a company many times
Job security was always an issue with the charity relying on government funds. It was a very fast paced job and good culture in the work place and rewarding work overall.
Pros and cons as with any job
Does offer good job satisfaction due to the clients that are supported but not enough pay. Management not very supportive and pay is low for such a specialist role.
Inclusive with lots of opportunities
Action For Children supports is employees to be more and do more. I have worked here for 18 months and have got involved with different networks and been encouraged and supported to seek additional training. Action For Children is a pleasant place to work, staff and management alike are approachable and supportive.
Nice company
Enjoyable job, can be fast paced at times, sometimes stressful with the pressures of carrying for young people.

Shift work.and varied hours available
Avoid livingston therapeutic service
I only worked here for 6 months. I got a 2 day induction, the manager told us nothing about the job. He talked about his back ground and his experience working with children. I learned nothing about the job. The manager has no compassion, doesn't listen, has stupid ideas, ignores the children when he is on his phone (all the time), watches YouTube videos before peg fed a child and he is not trained!! This service is a complete joke. AVOID!!!!
fun but also productive
It truly is a fun but also productive place to work - the office culture is warm and supportive and the work gets done. The communication is very good and it is a welcoming place as a new starter.
Not a Good Place to Work!
This is an organisation which is on its knees. Senior management have made huge cuts to save costs and expect the remaining staff to work overtime, without pay or time off in lieu to cover them. This is despite salaries already being well below the market average for many higher skilled roles.

The attitude seems to be "the feeling you get by working for a charity is reward enough". Unfortunately they forget that warm, fuzzy feelings don't pay bills and people leave the organisation in droves.

This really came to a head when the old CEO left and the advertised salary for the replacement was significantly higher than previously. People were not so angry about the salary but more the fact it was being inflated so much whilst everyone else was being denied a pay rise year after year and lay-offs were being made.

This all results in a very negative culture among staff and a general feeling that they are being taken advantage of.
supportive managers
Calling Councils and health care who were arranging placements for children.
Collecting debts owed for the child's care through to the adoption finalisation

Building a repour with the accounts receivable to ensure monies owed were paid in a timely manor.

Exceeded targets set during the time I worked for them on a temporary basis. (1 million more )
my experience
Its a cool place to work at if you are up for a challenge. And you will get hit and punched and spat at by the kids every day but it's a different experience.
Stimulating work place
Good stuff:

The work is face paced and can be stressful but there is plenty of support from colleagues and management.

Teams are all amazing - like minded people.

Hardest part of my job is not being able to change a persons environment to one of safety.

Best part is when you can see you make a real difference.

Bad stuff:

Pay is competitive but has not risen in two years with inflation so that is not good for moral.

As a charity, employment is time limited due to funding, also not good.

There are staff favourites, this makes it difficult when disputes arise to seek help.

Overall - This is a good place to work.
Good organisation to work for
Excellent organisation with hardworking colleagues across the UK.
The Northern Ireland and Scottish Region along with the Northern Region whom I supported were hardworking, friendly and professional teams striving to support children and families. Offered a great support and projects
Feel you can really make a differance.
Very supportive staff, Management lacking in understanding of difficulties faced by front line staff. Some managers had no idea or understanding of service they were overseeing.
Great team!
I loved working here - the team were wonderful and management was highly supportive. It was very demanding and at times stressful but I always felt supported.
Amazing
First and best job I'd probably ever have, couldn't fault the company or my work colleagues, genuinely best year of my life working here along side everyone.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Action for Children. Our community is ready to answer.