ACHIEVING FOR CHILDREN

ACHIEVING FOR CHILDREN Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
Well paid role but they do really make you earn every single penny. Great training and lovely community feel.
Only bad thing is that the offices are dreary and depressing
Good work environment, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people, relaxed culture, efforts are appreciated, efforts are rewarding, feeling that you are contributing to the community
I very much enjoyed my time at Achieving for Children so much experience you can gain from working with this company i would recommend it too anyone who wants to have a good, fun and interactive job
Very well managed, good resources and excellent cpd opportunity. Good IT resources too. Salary is competitive. Working culture is very welcoming. Home work life balance is unfortunately difficult to maintain but that's just due to the round the clock nature of social care
I have found Achieving for Children a great company to work for. They invest heavily in their staff development and encourage staff to take a very active role in seeking out new opportunities to learn.

The IT systems leave a lot to be desired however they are working to address this and the main focus is on achieving for children, not the company but actually the kids. That said, updated infrastructure will allow for better and quicker results in future.

Everyone that I have worked with has been friendly, supportive and most of all passionate about the work they do.

The jobs we do are not easy and the demands of work can be quite heavy but I think this is just a reflection of the good work that is being done and the need in the community.
Excellent management information systems, with a knowledgeable management group committed to service improvement and good outcomes for children. Open plan office is in need of refurbishment, and pay levels of permanent staff are on the low range.
Pros
good management group
Cons
parking expensive
I worked for Achieving for Children, Disabled Children's Services for several years as a student and enjoyed my time there thoroughly. There was always plenty of bank work, either as a befriender or within the day care centre where plenty of trips were planned for the children.

Training is all paid for, and generally a good sense that the Children were well taken care of. Few bits of improvements were staff care.

The work environment is extremely challenging and sometimes hugely mentally distressing for staff in terms of Post Traumatic Stress and anxiety. More supervision needs to be put into place for the mental well-being of staff, especially when traumatising incidents had taken place and a more stringent protocol put into place when incidents/near misses occurs, which is unavoidable in such environment.

Generally I would highly recommend this organisation and enjoyed myself thoroughly there.
Pros
Free training, plenty of ad hoc work.
Cons
Lack of staff supervision.
Management is supportive.
Colleagues are excellent to work with.

It's a place anyone will find hard, as I do, to want to leave.

It's a great place to work.

Managers trust individuals to work using their discretion. Micro-managing is rare. Line managers are always available for formal and informal supervision. Managers provide very nurturing relationship, making allowance for steady professional development and growth.

It's a generally friendly, inclusive and accommodating atmosphere in which to work. Directors relate freely to us as frontline workers. Excellence and good performance are duly recognised and rewarded. Career advancement is available. training is constantly available and we are encouraged to keep up to speed with continuous professional development. Work expenses are promptly processed are paid. Our young people are happy because the atmosphere enable us to give them the right service they need.

I feel very happy to continue here. However, like most humans I am passionate about exploring experiences and challenges elsewhere so as to develop and grow as a robust all-round professional with vast experiences across services and different places.
I've loved my time here - the people are great and senior managers are approachable and interested in what you have to say. You get the benefits of working in the public sector (pension, annual leave etc) but it feels like there's less process and barriers than when I've worked for council children's services. The training and development opportunities are great too.
Pros
Culture, management, development opportunities
Cons
Impact of austerity
Working for this company has been amazing, it really is focused on the work to support our local children, young people and families and has been recognised by Government as a innovator in the way AfC delivers Children's Services.

The Company is keen to learn and develop as a organisation through its employee engagement, robust learning and development opportunities and supporting the whole workforce to deliver excellence in all areas of the organisation. The company values its workforce and invests in company wide initiatives to encourage colleagues to create new ideas for delivery, provides fun social events and considers colleagues wellbeing.

The Company has a fun vibrant feel across its workforce, but with a real focus on quality, learning and improvements.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ACHIEVING FOR CHILDREN?
No ethics or empathy complete disregard for young people and there families. Money is pumped into salaries and taken away from the young peoples education. Would rather spend money on tribunals than provision for young people.
Pros
Decent pay
The culture and direction of AfC is moving towards a systemic approach combined with Signs or Safety and a strengths based focus.

Case loads could be unmanageable at times, with little change following seeking management support.
Childrens Centre Adminstator at Hampton Middlesex.
Started working here in June 2016 and very quickly settled in as its a

Lovely fun place to work, lots of playtime and educational classes.

Main duties include dealing with queries in person and by the phone.

Setting up classes for whatever session is happening.

Logging all data.
Finance officer for training centre linked to the council.
Process email enquiries for invoice queries.

Process invoice for income and spend.

Using excel spreadsheets to keep track of spend and income using formulae.

Monthly meetings with course programme leads.

Learnt a lot on excel to help show monthly figures issuing formulae. Creating pivot tables.

Co-workers really helpful and friendly nice team environment.
Achieving for children is riddled with cuts, making any role working in a front line capacity insecure and in danger of being subject to cuts being made.
Pros
Decent working team
Cons
lack of continous professional development
I love working for AfC, the people i work with are one of the best people I've ever met, and welcomes me in to their team positively from the start. Since I have started they have spoken about change and now they are slowly actioning that change, therefore I am looking for an alternative job, not only for that reason but also financial reasons.
Pros
Amazing people to work with
Cons
business not entirely stable, too many changes made.
Every day was different. Supporting staff from advice on secure email transmissions such as CJSM and how they integrate with Cloud solutions such as Google Mail and Google Apps to advising on strategy and systems procurement.
AfC management are very inclusive, forward thinking, proud and supportive. A great business to work for. Yes, the work is hard but extremely satisfying. The hardest part of the job is aligning critical business need with business strategy and ICT strategy and support. This brings into play Customer Relationship Management and managing customer expectations. Obviously communication is the single most important part of any program of work as all stakeholders need to be informed in a timely manner as to work progress, change management and issues arising. A very challenging but extremely satisfying job working with a trailblazing leader in the delivery of Social Care to Children in most need.
Pros
Satisfying job
Cons
Unfortunately, the contract ended
Setting with potential, staff and co-workers are as supportive as can be. Red tape and lack of support systems prove challenging at times. Children and families are a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Small Nursery
Cons
Long hours and seldom lunch breaks
I found this job to be enjoyable but not a 'forever' job. Not many advancement opportunities available within the company!
Pros
Flexible hours
A typical day at work will either be spent in the office, writing up a CAFs - Common Assessment Framework or meeting multi-disciplinary, parents or children to establish how a child's needs are being met.

I have approximately fifteen children on my case load. Most of the families I work with are referred to me by school staff, however, I am also assigned to work with families who may have been stepped down from statutory services.

My job is to work with families who need additional support.

I use the CAF as an assessment tool to measure the psychosocial economical needs of a child and their family.

As a lead professional working with the family I regularly liaise with professionals /oversee and set up frequent multi disciplinary meetings to discuss and monitor a child's progress.
Pros
Engaging with a variety of people
Cons
long hours /lots of paper work/low pay