Access Creative College

Access Creative College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
A typical day at work for me is dealing with my staff members. I always try and make myself available to support staff and in some cases, sacrificing my own agenda to do so. I feel that in doing this, I have gained trust and loyalty from my staff members. I have learned a great deal in my current role and it has allowed me to reflect on my self as an individual and as a manager. I feel that I am a very understanding manager and try and be as flexible as I can be with staff members in the intense FE sector. I feel that I have not been managed correctly within this role and feel unsupported by my superiors. Working with a nationwide company has its flaws as the central management team are located in Manchester, whereas I am the head of the York centre. Often communication from them can be minimal. I am a firm believe of teamwork and sometimes, it feels like we are left to our own devices. The hardest is part of the job is combining two job roles. Currently, I am head of college as well as curriculum leader. Both of which are very intense jobs in their own right. I am currently doing both. Nevertheless, I am driven to succeed. Working extra hours for almost 3 years is a testament to my commitment but more importantly, this has been reflected with the improvements with learner attendance, retention and success year on year. The most enjoyable part of the job without question is seeing staff and students exceed their expectations.
Management by google documents, training only happened when issues popped up and was compressed. Company focused on keeping student numbers up, as a teacher that means you're responsible for pushing the lowest performing students through the program by hand feeding them assignments. High performing student needs aren't met. Student common area is a mess and isn't policed, only a few teachers willing to enforce the rules in these common areas. Only one shared staff toilet, student toilets are a mess. Found it very stressful to work here and efforts were unappreciated, always another metric that needed raising, or after hours tasks that needed attending. No time to prep for classes, too many assignments to teach and grade. Only good part were the other teachers who are friendly and largely over-qualified.
Pros
near Shoreditch
Cons
poor management
The teaching staff and students are excellent. Management are based outside of the local college and therefore have no idea what is going on and are not educationally trained and so they are only running the college like a business. They are for profit only which means that students are entered into the college, whether we are able to see achievement with them or not. Each student means funding and so 'Yes' is said much more than no. Meaning there is a terrible provision of under qualified teachers dealing with ALN/SEN students, lecturers that do not have PGCE or teaching qualifications and over worked and under paid qualified teachers putting up with WAY TOO MUCH. I saw 5 people leave in a month and 2 of those people were new staff. I have never worked at such a stressful place, I am still recovering from burn out from working at the college as a Pathway Manager. Little support, huge expectations, under paid, under staffed and then to boot you are not allowed to take longer than 2 weeks off for summer and you're expected to come in during half terms for open days. Teaching is incredibly stressful and hard work, this college compounds the issue and makes no changes to support or look after their staff. No proper CPD training programs, no benefits, only a 'hotline' to a helpline...ALSO no union support, so good luck working here because it's awful and it won't change. Pay is massively under national averages and workload is hugely over. I wish I had never made the mistake of joining this college, as I am still dealing with the mental and physical effects of the burnout - more...
You will be offered a much lower salary than advertised. The facilities in Shoreditch is completely overcrowded. The main common room area is like a Zoo or out of control youth club. Constant shouting, bedlam and music. No control at all. The main staff office is hot, hotdesked and cramped. The work culture is very negative. 10 people left at least in 10 months-very high turnover. Staff's wellbeing are not cared for. If you contact People's Services they ignore it and say they need data, they never visit. Gender imbalance completely male dominated no female management. Bombarded with constant deadlines that can't be fulfilled. Attracts very disadvantaged students who have no GCSEs who are not interested in learning about music. Interviewing and intakes is done by staff who don't run the course! So a Media staff member will interview for Music Performance and vice versa resulting in students being there who are very unqualified. Emphasis on meeting targets, funding, statistics and filling up numbers rather than talent. Many talented staff leave. End up being a social worker of sorts. If you train with them stuck in a contract with them for years. Burn out is regular and Head Office doesn't care less about staff. Management spend the whole time in their office moody and stressed out only appearing to rant at people if they've missed a deadline. It's like an out of control low quality youth centre. Music facilities are a joke. No pianos
The Shoreditch centre is awful. The main common room is like a zoo, chaos, bedlam, shouting, students using it as a disco, no control, nowhere for students to study, awful music facilities, no pianos, you will be paid a lot less than the advertised wage. As course leader you're expected to do a full time job in three days. Management only care about numbers and filling seats. No care for staff, High turnover, 10 have left in last 10 months. People's Services don't care. Everyone is under qualified. If you teach with them stuck in a multi contract. Whole place is a joke. Basically a youth club for the disadvantaged
Excited to get up and get to work on a daily. The atmosphere had a good vibe and I felt safe as an individual being there and everyone is very welcoming and down to earth. I met a lot of new people and loved working with each individual.
I attended Access Creative College as required work experience for school. They held this as a program for students to attend where they could learn editing, filming and website-making skills.
it was ok had decent amount of discussion and work at the same time. When I was working for work experience when I was at school. the hardest part of the job was to try and find something to write about.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
work experiance only
To find a privately funded college with a social conscience is highly unusual but Access Creative College definitely has this. The place is unbelievably good to work for, an ethos that's caring yet still professional, running from the very top to the bottom ensures this. The technology there is state of the art and the company which once had humble beginnings, ensures that learners irrespective of background are given ample opportunity to excel in their chosen careers. The college also ensures learners are equipped with the soft skills necessary to succeed in the Creative Industries, and also the wider job market. The staff are industry specialists and have strong links with the music, media and computer games industries, so learners start their work life able to network with potential work bases. My time spent working there served to make me believe in myself in all I do. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Access Creative College become far more well-known over the next few years as the place with the best technology, best staff and best students!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Access Creative College?
Access to music is a great place to work with a nice and relaxed atmosphere where people are challenged. Also, people around are helpful and supportive which makes doing the job easier.
I felt like it was a great place to work and had a fun time during my time on work experience there. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in music, media, and games.
The college is a great working setting and all the staff are very supporting and caring towards other member of staff and its students. A great place to work.
Access to music can be a fun environment to work in. It is very demanding and requires a a diverse range of skills to keep up with the pace. I enjoyed my time working there.
Working with the students every day is fantastic but the constant pressure to do "more for less" impacts on their learning. Management is weak and ineffective with profits and bonuses a bigger priority than resources and student experience which is a shame as they are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Working with talented and enthusiastic young people.
Cons
Having to absorb more work for less pay.
My college is a great place to be, all the staff are excellent and my peers who I work with are great. I've made some life long friends being at the college.
Pros
Positive Workplace, Productive, Excellent Staff and Peers.
Cons
Unclear Instructions
Really good company to work for. They give you the opportunity to develop your skills. I've strengthened my marketing and social media skills in addition to being given the freedom to plan my own working schedule.
Access to music was an amazing music college to go to. I have learned so ma y skills from there. Typical day at college involved rehearsals and coursework. The manager there was so nice and understanding. The hardest part at college was the coursework. The most enjoyable part at music college was meeting new people and the rehearsals
Pros
Rehearsals, learning new skills
Cons
Long days
Learned how to work all the computers and work in groups. I got to make new music and help others record their music. Everyone was really friendly which made it fun to help out.
Pros
short hours
Working in education should be a vocation but there is very little focus on quality at this company. You are expected to work whenever they say, with little negotiation. The communication from management is very poor. Co-workers all seem to be driven and caring but are being driven into the ground by the company who don't seem to value the staff at all. A real shame.
Pros
Interesting learners
Cons
Little support from management
Despite not being able to attend and be an Alumni as much as I wish I could be, Access To Music Birmingham is my favourite Music and Media College in the entire UK. Everyone is friendly and hard working individuals. I cannot express how much gratitude I have towards this college.
A typical day is busy with teaching and dealing with any external issues that arise. As a manager I have a number of areas to take into consideration. I have learned a great deal and continue to do so. My business management and people management skills have developed over the six academic years I have been employed at the centre and I have also seen progression in public speaking and resource management. The management structure is strong and built on a solid communication foundation. We are clear and comprehensive in our policies and procedures, which have raised the level and standard of the college to new heights in a short period of time. My co-workers are friendly, communicative and hard working. I have never experienced such an incredible group of work colleagues in all my life. Overall, Access to Music is an excellent place to work and allows for each deserving employee to progress and improve on whatever path they choose to take.
Pros
Excellent facilities, in-house cafeteria, security key-card system.
Cons
Changes in education and funding streams directly affect certain aspects of the job.