Abcam Employee Reviews

temporary staff
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire14 December 2018
The way the use temporary staff and then replace them with more temporary staff doing the same job is totally unethical. Total waste of training time .
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
unethical use of temporary staff
A very friendly, relaxed place to work
Logistics technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge11 July 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the Logistics department at Abcam. The attitude there is incredibly trusting of their staff and it is returned with an attitude of wanting to do as well as possible in your work.
Pros
Generous paid breaks
Absolutely shocking attitude to staff retention and pay
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire1 June 2018
This company has made 10 of my friends and colleagues redundant over the last 8 years, and that’s just the ones i’m still in touch with. Many more colleagues from other departments have also been let go in this way. Luckily all have moved on to bigger and better careers.
This company is not known for investing in it’s staff with poor salaries, training and not well thought through changes in strategy. The alternative biotech and biopharma options in Cambridge are plentiful, make this company your last resort!
Pros
Scientists are fantastic
Cons
Never knowing which colleague will face redundancy next.
Professional,friendly,caring work environment.
Stock Control/Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol28 January 2018
Abcam is a wonderful company to work for,as said....caring,friendly,professional.
I worked within Stockroom/Chemistry Labs in Bristol and unfortunately was made redundant(hence 4 stars not 5!) but Abcam did everything they could to keep me and my colleagues in work including offering me a role at their Cambridge facility which I declined due to the distance.( I luckily found employment in Bristol quite quickly after redundancy)

As a first job for a Chemist,Laboratory Technician or Logistics/Stockroom Technician it would be ideal,they will help and support your future all the way,especially if you show willing and appreciate everything they do.
I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years within the Bristol labs and worked with supportive,friendly management...and staff generally.

I would say salary and opportunities are certainly on a par with similar jobs.
Pros
Work environment(friendly, professional, caring) opportunities, management
Dreadful place to work...
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire25 January 2018
No leadership, poor and lack of management. Failing business Programme called Enable, all talk and no structure or action. Worst place I have ever worked, in fact I'm surprised the CEO is still there. HR, useless, recruitment process is not consistent, one person had six interviews to secure a contract role?? This business will soon be bought out by a larger organisation...
Pros
Free daily fruit..
Cons
No culture...
Lack of professional people
CS (Former Employee) –  Cambridge2 October 2017
People don't get the right training. Managers are managers just because they have spent years working for the company but most of them don't have the skills to lead and motivate a team. It's very frustrating.

Personal development/progression doesn't exist. Nobody really cares if you're improving or not. Money which was supposed to be for training the staff was squandered.

The most enjoable part of the job was activities/events.
Nice colleagues
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire4 August 2017
Great place to work but it has become too corporate, without the perks of the big companies. Nevertheless, there is always things to learn and the work environment is great.
Pros
good job work/life balance
Cons
management doesn't know what they are doing
do not invest in staff
Product Specialist, (Current Employee) –  Cambridge science park23 June 2017
Abcam do not invest in staff. I have experienced 2 very poor line managers. The company under pay compared to industry standard. Career progression is very difficulty.
Pros
free fruit
Cons
no progression, low pay
Friendly workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire5 June 2017
The best of the company: its employees
Friendly atmosphere, fun team building events.
Few progression oportunities though.
Very good as a first time office job.

Want to know more about Abcam?

Ask a question