Abcam

Abcam Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Management was professional and technically advanced which made my temporary work there efficient and effective. Training provision was excellent. Helpful staff mostly, relaxed environment although it was unnecessary and pointlessly competitive at times! The supply chain, AR, AP processes and procedures in place were absolutely brilliant! The higher management could improve their relationship with temporary staff but I suppose that wasn't important. I enjoyed my conversations with the Genetic Scientists during lunch breaks, really interesting place and workforce to be surrounded by. Overall, a great company!
Terrible mid level management with unrealistic goals. Sets unrealistic expectations for staff with limited resources. Staff for the most part are friendly but mid level managers are political.
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
Political environment
Abcam is a purpose led global high growth business with a collaborative and friendly culture. Its a place that genuinely cares or its customers and people and where you can do amazing work that makes a difference to patient lives. Support during the Codid-19 pandemic has been fantastic and I feel cared for and supported. I can't recommend Abcam highly enough, a place where you can truly grow your career
Abcam has a unique mix of a great culture, very friendly people who are all willing to help and a really high quality work. They have an ambitious growth strategy but also have a joint mission and purpose and the teams move in the same direction. Really refreshing and not a professional experience I have had before.
I really love working here (3 months) - there is a compelling vision that we can really latch onto and feel proud of; all the people that I've met so far are both brilliant and friendly; there is no feeling of hierarchy, cross-functional working is the norm, there is lots of engagement from management into the culture and needs of the people, and there are plenty of extra-curricular activities and groups you can join.
I was working on project to upgrade all laptops and PCs to Windows 10 1903 before support for Windows 7 runs out next year. Learnt new deployment system Smart Deploy. Also the work place culture was very friendly and relaxed. But everyone worked very hard to deliver the best service they could.
Fun to work for and productive work force. Extremely friendly environment. Valuable and important work which impacts the life science community. Good networking opportunities
Pros
Games Room
Cons
Terrible pay and lack of organisation
I worked as a scientist in the labs. The people who work at Abcam are fantastic, and the culture is friendly and not stuffy whatsoever. The company has experienced rapid change over the past few years especially with the appointment of a new CEO in 2014. They have moved into a new facility at the start of 2019. I have not seen inside it myself, but former colleagues seem to love it.
There are opportunities to progress upwards and sideways within the organisation - I received four promotions in eight years, and was not expected to work beyond my contracted hours to earn these! Work-life balance is pretty good. Yep, there will always be some frustrations that you encounter when different departments have different objectives but these can be resolved through frequent communication.

I can recommend this as a fantastic place to work. I left in order to pursue post-graduate study full time.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Living costs in Cambridge are high
The way the use temporary staff and then replace them with more temporary staff doing the same job is totally unethical. Total waste of training time .
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
unethical use of temporary staff
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in the Logistics department at Abcam. The attitude there is incredibly trusting of their staff and it is returned with an attitude of wanting to do as well as possible in your work.
Pros
Generous paid breaks
This company has made 10 of my friends and colleagues redundant over the last 8 years, and that’s just the ones i’m still in touch with. Many more colleagues from other departments have also been let go in this way. Luckily all have moved on to bigger and better careers.
This company is not known for investing in it’s staff with poor salaries, training and not well thought through changes in strategy. The alternative biotech and biopharma options in Cambridge are plentiful, make this company your last resort!
Pros
Scientists are fantastic
Cons
Never knowing which colleague will face redundancy next.
Work was varied and interesting. With time i was given more responsibilities resulting in increased variety of workload, which was really interesting. However, this was not translated by a commensurate monetary recognition for the time and efforts spent and for the results achieved. Unfortunately, this seems to be their standard procedure.
Pros
really nice coworkers
Cons
low pay compared with other biotech industries
Abcam is a wonderful company to work for,as said....caring,friendly,professional.
I worked within Stockroom/Chemistry Labs in Bristol and unfortunately was made redundant(hence 4 stars not 5!) but Abcam did everything they could to keep me and my colleagues in work including offering me a role at their Cambridge facility which I declined due to the distance.( I luckily found employment in Bristol quite quickly after redundancy)

As a first job for a Chemist,Laboratory Technician or Logistics/Stockroom Technician it would be ideal,they will help and support your future all the way,especially if you show willing and appreciate everything they do.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years within the Bristol labs and worked with supportive,friendly management...and staff generally.

I would say salary and opportunities are certainly on a par with similar jobs.
Pros
Work environment(friendly, professional, caring) opportunities, management
No leadership, poor and lack of management. Failing business Programme called Enable, all talk and no structure or action. Worst place I have ever worked, in fact I'm surprised the CEO is still there. HR, useless, recruitment process is not consistent, one person had six interviews to secure a contract role?? This business will soon be bought out by a larger organisation...
Pros
Free daily fruit..
Cons
No culture...
People don't get the right training. Managers are managers just because they have spent years working for the company but most of them don't have the skills to lead and motivate a team. It's very frustrating.

Personal development/progression doesn't exist. Nobody really cares if you're improving or not. Money which was supposed to be for training the staff was squandered.

The most enjoable part of the job was activities/events.
Great place to work but it has become too corporate, without the perks of the big companies. Nevertheless, there is always things to learn and the work environment is great.
Pros
good job work/life balance
Cons
management doesn't know what they are doing
Abcam do not invest in staff. I have experienced 2 very poor line managers. The company under pay compared to industry standard. Career progression is very difficulty.
Pros
free fruit
Cons
no progression, low pay
The best of the company: its employees
Friendly atmosphere, fun team building events.

Few progression oportunities though.

Very good as a first time office job.