ABB Employee Reviews

Found 67 reviews matching the search See all 3,244 reviews
Good kit to work on.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Neots14 June 2018
Very good equipment to work on.
Good benefits and holidays.
Country wide role.

Only left because communication was bad and I didn't know my way around the admin systems and the unfortunate scheduling of jobs from Middlesborough down to the south of England.
Pros
Salaries, pension, car, phone, laptop, tool kits, good training in Frankfurt .
Cons
Once out in the field I was left to it without much support.
Excellent electrical engineering company
Business Development Director (Former Employee) –  London18 September 2018
When I worked at ABB it was the most respected company in Europe according to FT polls.

Its dynamic motor, the Swedish company ASEA, had merged with the previously larger Brown Boveri in a nominally world beating formula. Unfortunately, following a leadership change, the sale of two profitable businesses and an expensive purchase into a new, unprofitable business brought about a crisis in the early 2000s that caused its worldwide employee base to shrink from 230,000 to about 100,000 in a matter of a couple of years.

It recovered from this disaster and remains very well respected for the quality of its engineering although it has yet to recover its dynamism in growth.

It is represented or has its own offices in every country in the world.
Pros
Excellent electrical engineering. Good pay
Cons
Has not recovered growth and profit performance.
Great international experience and multi disciplined
UK/IE shared accounting service centre manager (Former Employee) –  UK25 April 2018
Great international experience can be achieved for the individual able to take advantage of many opportunities. The company pay well and support individual's training needs but do expect a significant amount in return. Multiple business streams, very interesting projects, frequent change and growth plans - one can be totally absorbed into the operation and find it enjoyable and educational but work/life balance suffers tremendously if role is taken seriously. Colleagues are highly supportive and work social opportunities whilst on business are available. The company, rightly, do not accept poor performance but will do what they can to drive improvement.
Pros
Tonnes of opportunities to gain varied experience, international opportunities, good development potential, salaries
Cons
Heavy workloads, very long hours, highly pressured, poor work-life balance
Providing HV distribution solutions
Electrical Circuit Diagram Engineer (Former Employee) –  Stone, Staffordshire2 October 2018
ABB is a Swedish-Swiss multinational corporation headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, operating mainly in robotics, power, heavy electrical equipment and automation technology areas. It is ranked 341st in the Fortune 500 global list of 2018 and has been a global Fortune 500 company for 24 years
Pros
Camaraderie and wealth of experience
Productive place
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2014
• Managing the preparation and delivery of final accounts using 2 systems, BAAN & VIXEN
• Solving invoice queries, raised through my analysing costing information submitted by other accounts departments
• Collating, Analysing & Splitting project costing information, including overall payments received which subsequently would be split internally between site projects and subcontractors on both systems
• Supervising the work loads including task delegation for a team of finance assistants
• Monitor and track project risk and opportunities and updates on project forecasts and budgets
• Attending & Charing Meetings concerning the both the preparation and submitting of project final accounts
• Liaising with & assisting other department staff with final accounts and commercial issues.
• Monitor and track project costs- deviation analyses as well as driving and organizing project reviews.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Fun place to work
Project and Systems Engineer - Electrical (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen7 May 2018
Fun and productive place to work. Great organisation with great and helpful colleagues.
As with many multinationals, lots of politics at management level.
Accurate & professional
Document Controller (Permanent) (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City24 January 2018
A varied day that requires good concentration, high attention to detail and the ability to think on your feet. Being able to prioritise your workload effectively is a must. Following processes and procedures to the letter and being consistent with data processing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is spotting the errors, thereby giving the engineers the ability to correct them, before we issue the document. We keep ABB looking as professional as possible.
The hardest part of the job is getting colleagues who don't like administration to follow processes and procedures.
Workplace culture - don't look the other way - health & safety and integrity.
Within document control, I have honed my skills even further with regard to my high attention to detail and learned to appreciate the fact that they are incredible and a real asset.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
No flexi-time
Supervisor has no management skills
Technical Admin. (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Billingham23 March 2018
Because I was pro active and did my work quicker than other people I was being told I am no good which didn't help me at all.
I was lied to in the interview that I would be busy but instead I had to ask other colleagues to give me some of their work.
When I finished a task that lasted for 30 mins not 2 days like I was told to do,I been told to go speak to reception and have coffee...

WOW never work here again or recommend
Interesting
Panel wireman and fitter (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, UK11 April 2017
A challenging workplace with ability to gain maximum experience due the high number of electrical panel board types. The hardest part of the job is when you are assembling the panel board together, sometimes is heavy and big.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Salary
Great start to my civilian life
Health and Safety Advisor / Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Billingham, North Yorkshire21 February 2018
Enjoyed my time at ABB, 10 minutes from home and no deployments or extra duties what more could you ask. Working hours were very good and the people were friendly. Nice introduction to life in civvy street.
Pros
Free Tea & Coffee
Cons
None worth mentioning
Terrible
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Coleshill, Warwickshire5 January 2018
Worst job ever
Not a proper job title
Have you running around like a dog for silly money
Carnt wait to get out of this job.
The job it’s self is boring.
Depending on what section your on.
But over all they have you doing silly stuff and running around after them.
Bosses are lazy. Unfair.
I’m not even aloud to take 2 mins to fill my bottle up out the canteen which takes less than 2 mins. But have to wait for my break.
Even tho grafting for 4 hours straight sweating. Dry mouth.
If the money was good then fair enough but I’m lucky to pick up £250 for Monday to Friday 8 hours a day
Good bunch of people to work with, bad bunch of managers to work for.
Worker (Former Employee) –  UK23 January 2018
Under resourced and lead by poor senior management who make bad decisions, that ultimately make technical job more stressful.

Blame culture.

Poor HR.
great enviroment
Panel Wirer (Former Employee) –  sunderland3 June 2015
lovely staff great place to work. even though was based in Sunderland. good wages and great benefits. left because of traveling requirement
Pros
good wages
Cons
travel
Abb
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dundee16 January 2018
ABB (Dundee) was a reasonable place to work. It all started to go wrong when the group management changed the works manager from someone with product knowledge to money men.
Pros
Was a good place to work
Cons
Was run down by accountants
Good work place.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Stonehouse, Gloucestershire6 March 2018
I enjoyed my time working here. I learnt a variety of new skills from plastic injection moulding to silk screening. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with some good people.
Good opportunity for development
Senior Transformer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UK31 January 2018
A lot of time spent away from home but has a very good Health and Safety structure, with support on site,
Given the opportunity to learn and develop in the role of a commissioner.
Great team and a great project
Global Transtion Manager (Former Employee) –  Gobal29 June 2017
To deliver a global transition of end user services and solutions for 102 countries in 18 months took a great team. From design, process production through to seamless delivery. This group should be bottled and re used time and again for multiple clients
Pros
To do the work as designed and then still have a shared team to call upon for advise and support
Cons
Long hours and tough objectives; but that is why we do this
Interesting work but poor co-workers
Apprentice Technician (Former Employee) –  Telford, ENG4 April 2014
A typical day would involve getting a turbo or turbo's from the stores, stripping the turbo down, inspecting every individual part following company requirements, filling out a report, cleaning/repairing and installing new parts as part of the build.

I learned how to multi-task jobs, fill out reports and read complex engineering drawings.

Management was good but can be very ruthless.

Co-workers could not be trusted and would stab you in the back if they were in trouble.

The hardest part of the job would be juggling many different job and getting the right ones done on time.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be going off site and conducting repairs and services on ships and different sites.
Pros
Lots of travel involveded
Cons
Management and co workers were ruthless on how they did things.
Good
ABB work experience (Former Employee) –  Peterborough30 January 2018
I was only work experience but it is a very hard working place and the staff are all friendly and helping they just what to see each other achieve and do well.
Productive and challenging work place
Process Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City29 October 2017
No day at work is the same.
I learnt to be self dependent in as much as I have to work as a team. Management not too fantastic
Work place is challenging and self motivating.
Time management
Team work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ABB. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K