Abacare Employee Reviews

Featured review
Abacare selected this as a representative review
Very supportive
Assistant Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Colwyn Bay16 January 2019
Great owners at the time. Dedicated to improving staff and noticing staffs good work and helping them develop. Lots of training and positiveness. Friendly caring, responsible.
Pros
Family feel to teams, cares about professionalism
Cons
non really, not one locally to me now and mostly live in care
Wish I’d never bothered
Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wrexham7 August 2019
What can I say about Abacare? Well lets see. Are you ill? Not their problem. They’ll be demanding you go into work anyway. And if you don’t they’ll strip you of all your calls out of spite. Carers are literally worked to the bone. Calls are planned badly. Literally no time to get from call to call. Carers put on single calls for calls that should quite clearly be doubles due to the risk. Pregnant staff still expected to work with clients who present challenging behaviours. In a nutshell if you like your family don’t work for this company. If you do you’ll never see your family due to working 12 days in a row
The worst place to work for
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Powys16 July 2019
The absolute worst company/place to work for. The management are appalling and try to bully all employees into doing what they want them to do. They do not keep any confidentiality in the slightest. The place is a shambles you never with the same service users and chucked here there and everywhere with rota changes anything from 5 minutes before you start. New management and better pay and the place would be better.
Pros
Service users
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon, Gwynedd15 July 2019
An absolutely appalling company to work for. Worst few months of my life.
Fantastic team great manager
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Colwyn bay17 December 2018
I worked for Abacare in the Colwyn Bay Area in 2015 and I must say my service users were wonderful our team was great and our regional manager was fantastic with us I left because she left and a lot of staff did also. Had a great time working together in our team. Office staff are a bit iffy and clueless but you just ignore them!
Pros
Wonderful team and regional manager
Cons
Office staff clique
7 March 2019

Thank you very much for your excellent review of Abacare!
We are delighted that you enjoyed your work so much We cannot provide an effective and caring service without carers like you! Your positive attitude would have made such a difference to the lives of our service users.

Shockingly bad management
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtown29 November 2018
Constantly underpaid, management were atrocious even when issues were raised. The branch made it impossible to discuss issues with a higher manager. I was paid incorrectly and the mileage numbers were completely inaccurate/ made up. I wouldn’t have stayed so long had the service users not been lovely although there were issues with carers voicing concerns about their safety and management ignoring this. Horrible to deal with from start to finish, shame about the lovey service users.
Cons
Management, incorrect pay
4 December 2018

Thank you for your recent review of Abacare. We are sorry that you felt unable to speak to anyone in the branch. We pride ourselves on being available to our carers and wider teams for any issues that they may have.

Each Carer has a regional manager to whom they can voice any concerns and in turn the supervisor of the regional manager, the Operations Executive is also available for you to contact. If you felt that you could not approach either of these managers, you were also able to speak with the HR Support Manager in your branch as well as the Branch Manager. None of these pople have had any contact from any carers who left in November with any issues. Please do let us know whether you would like to speak to anyone about your issues - our branch manager can be emailed on jane@abacare.org.uk. Alternatively please contact the branch by phone on 01686 625644 and Jane will be happy to discuss any issues with you.

Let down by management
Community carer (Former Employee) –  Holyhead15 November 2018
First caring job I did and colleagues were amazing with me! All girls were friendly and would do anything To help each other! Loved the service users.
Management was awful...only worked for the company 7 months and seen many people leave because of poor management. Every time I called the office I was told they were in a meeting or too busy to help!
Got underpaid EVERY pay day I had with them! One by 400!!
Hours were expected to be long but ridiculous when not allowed a break in a 14hr shift!
Unreliable with hours , one week 30 hours given then next week only 5
Pros
Service users
Cons
Mainly Management
20 November 2018

Thank you for your recent review concerning Abacare. We are sorry that you felt that you were not able to discuss any issues with management. Each carer is assigned a field supervisor known as a regional manager an in turn they are supported by an Operations Manager. Both of those people are field based and can be contacted freely by any carer. In the unusual situation where you cannot contact one of these field supervisors, you have the option to contact your branch office where you will find a receptionist who can take a message for any busy manager or speak directly to either the recruiter or branch manager. There are also 3 directors who are available on email to answer any queries that you may have. If you still feel that you would like to speak to someone about any unresolved queries please do email info@abacare.org.uk and provide us with your contact details. We would be more than happy to call you to discuss your issues. The care sector as a career is hugely important to many many service users all over the country and we would be saddened if we could not persuade you to contact us so that we can understand your issues and learn from them if we have genuinely made a mistake in supporting your needs.

management
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ystradgynlais9 November 2018
management in this company is bad really bad they dont listen at all they do not care about the staff or the clients . its a disgrace to treat peaople like they do .
Pros
clents
Cons
hours
7 March 2019

Thank you for posting your review of Abacare. We note that you worked in the Ystradgynlais area of Wales and are concerned about your review and the fact that you feel unhappy with Management. We would very much like to understand why you have posted this review and would appreciate you taking the time to email us with your details so that, in confidence, our Registered Manager can understand your concerns. Our email address is info@abacare.org.uk. We pride ourselves on a very open culture and we have a very robust grievance procedure which all staff members are encouraged to use if they feel that their line managers are not providing the support that they need.
We look forward to receiving your email.

Great Job and Excelent support
Carer (Current Employee) –  Machynlleth, Powys14 July 2018
I have worked for Abacare for three years in the Machynlleth area and love working here. Not only is it a beautiful place to work but there are some really lovely service users and management are always on the end of the phone if you need them for support. Pay has recently changed and as a driver I have found it very beneficial as we now get paid travel time and mileage and I"m much better off. .Some members of staff complain about everything but I think that is there nature and they would moan eve if things we're perfect. Unfortunately we are all human and life does not run smoothly and do occasionally we are asked to do extra call on days off and between other call if someone goes off sick but this can be any one of us and if we all help out and do our bit I find no one has too much work. Overall I love my job, service users and can honestly say I'm proud to work for Abacare.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Can be a few long day.
Ex work colleague
Care (Former Employee) –  Machynlleth19 June 2018
Brilliant company worked for them a couple of years left due to relocation and wanting experience in other field of care. Worked in machynlleth area in mid Wales but the team there was amazing so was Newtown office training excellent and so was the support from management loved the company wish them all the very best
Pros
Brilliant full filling flexible career
Cons
I left
7 March 2019

Thank you very much for your positive review of Abacare! We have noted that you were employed from the Newtown office and will ensure that your review is passed on to them and to our training provider, AAA Training & Recruitment. We would like to wish you all the very best in your future employment.

Liked working for them but they lost my document and did not apologise
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd28 May 2018
I did like my client but when I was leaving and asked the management to return my documents to me they had lost them and didn't even own up to it or apologise to me.
I didn't feel supported and neither did my colleague
Pros
Nice clients
Cons
management not professional or understanding
7 March 2019

We are sorry that you had issues with your documents. We believe this has now been resolved through our Bangor office.

We would like to understand why you feel you were not supported during your employment and would appreciate if you would take the time to email us with your details so that we can discuss this further. Our email address is info@abacare.org.uk.

the problems i find is with carer's themselves
Carer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd20 March 2018
I can only speak for myself about abacare I find the staff have being brilliant with me,always have work, get time off, some carers blab off private information to service users get to involved cause problems for the nx carer so not just abacare,,
Pros
lots if u look
Cons
some other carers make the job harder than it is
7 March 2019

Thank you for your excellent review of Abacare. We are delighted that you love working for us! If you have concerns about colleagues breaching our service user’s confidentiality, please contact your line manager or alternatively, you can email info@abacare.org.uk.
If you know anyone who would make a great member of our team, you can refer them by contacting your recruiter and earn a bonus of £150 once they have completed 100 hours of care work.

Awful company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caernarfon, Gwynedd5 March 2018
Where do i start.. work with this company for over 2 years, loved the service users, which was really the only reason i stayed for so long. But the managment are Very unprofesional!! Extras being given the night before and very often being given 5 minutes before the call is due. Lack of communication, often very hard to get hold of managers, and very little help when needed! Doing double calls on my own, due to lack of staff! If they filled the rotas up giving less gaps, more people would stay, and a days work would be worth it! £8.60 isnt enough for what we carers do, petrol and diesel costs a lot, and being sent from one place to another uses up a lot of it!! Not being paid extra on bank holidays, or on weekends! Only day we get extra on is christmas!! Hardly ever have any proper staff meeting to discuss any isssues, and when we do the issues given to them never ever get sorted! Calls have no gaps inbetween to travel, expecting us to be in two places at once!! Working all day from 7am to 10pm or 11pm at night and getting paid for only 7-8 hours! Rotas are usually all over the place, never with the same service users. Abacare dont apprectiate how much work we do as carers for them, they simply dont care! Im glad to have left this company.
Pros
Loved the service users
Cons
Mangament, wage, rotas, ware and tare on the car.
7 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your review. We are sorry to have read your review on Abacare. We take all reviews very seriously and are concerned that you say you had a bad experience working for the company.

Abacare has a robust grievance procedure which you were fully entitled to use if you felt that any concerns you raised were not dealt with in the correct way.

All of our care staff have a direct manager (your Regional Manager) and above them an area manager called an Operations Executive and finally above them a branch manager reporting into a Managing Director. We also have a 24/7 emergency line in case of any urgent queries that cannot be dealt with during normal office hours.

We would like to know if you raised your concerns to any of these people and if so, what happened. Writing anonymous reviews does not help us address any of your issues and all of the things you have highlighted are against all of our practices so we would very much like to understand where you feel you have experienced them.

We would encourage you to contact us on info@abacare.org.uk. If we are not given the opportunity to respond to queries with anonymous reviews, then we will not be able to provide the relevant explanation.

Abacare value each and every employee and appreciate the hard work that everyone does.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Great job
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Denbighshire3 February 2018
I worked for abacare for 2 months in Denbighshire area, I loved getting to know the service users and helping them out. I felt that the management always helped me and were always there for the support. The only reason I left the company was because of the long days and the traveling inbetween calls. Obviously if you are willing to do the travelling and the 8am-9pm days then this job is great. I feel that from doing this job I have gained alot more skills and I have lots of training if I ever want to go back into care work.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Long days and travelling
7 March 2018

Thank you very much for your excellent review of Abacare!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your work so much and provided a dedicated and stable service for our vulnerable service users.

We cannot provide an effective and caring service without carers like you!

Awful company
Community carer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd23 January 2018
By far the worst company I have ever worked for! Had to double and triple check that managers were acting on concerns passed on to them.....they seemed disinterested..... Payment system doesn't make any sense....when we told managers they seemed unable to explain where the travel time was....and as for mileage...what mileage? Very disappointing company!
26 January 2018

Thank you for your recent review of Abacare.

Abacare has a robust grievance procedure which you were fully entitled to use if you felt that any line manager was not providing you with the information that you needed. We also have a direct link into payroll who could have also answered your queries.

We do indeed pay for travel time and would encourage you to contact us on info@abacare.org.uk should you have any queries regarding your own pay. If we are not given the opportunity to respond to queries with anonymous reviews, then we will not be able to provide the relevant explanation.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Awful
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff14 January 2018
The worst company I have ever worked for. Management is absolutely awful. Constant hassle with the office and on-call, can never get through to any manager in the office as they are “always” in a meeting when it is urgent and same with on-call, either drunk or not bothered and having to wait for a response before you can even finish in a service users home. Do not care at all about staff or elderly. Constantly lying to you about your rota and where you’re working. Was sent down Brecon when applied to work in Porth and asked to stay in Porth. Working 15 hours a day and got paid for 7/8 hours. Can NEVER find cover if you are ill but quick enough to ring you on your day off or just add extra calls on couple of MINUTES before without advance acknowledgment. After a month of working here, I started to apply else where because the whole company is an absolute shambles. Done so many double calls, single handed and had to have assistance off PAYING SERVICE USERS FAMILY (who are also elderly and not quite capable). This company will run you down to the ground and not give a care in the world. Possibly the worst job I have EVER been employed by. So lucky to get out.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Working hours. Pay. Managers. Office. On-call.
26 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are concerned that you raise a great number of issues all of which we have no record. If you genuinely believe these issues have occurred in the Abacare branch you worked in, and you care for the way in which you experienced the service being delivered, we would urge you to forego your anonymity and write to us at info@abacare.org.uk so that we can investigate them for you. Without genuine and honest feedback, we are unable to take matters further.

Carer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd19 December 2017
what an awful company to work for! I worked for abacare just over a year and a half and don't get me wrong I loved the actual job and the service users! But the management don't care about you or your service users at all, the amount of times I went in to double up calls alone because they where short staffed (so they say). They drop service users when they please! They employee anyone. Rotas where stupid we use to get our Rota on a Friday ready for the Monday 1 week at a time so You couldn't really plan anything. They didn't pay me my last month wages very unprofessional
21 December 2017

Thank you for your recent review of Abacare. We are sorry that you feel the management do not care about the carers. That is not true at all. All of our carers are treated with dignity and respect and we use our best endeavours to ensure that all calls are rostered to the best of the team's ability. Sometimes, due to care staff shortages, double up calls cannot be carried out as our insurance policy does not allow us to carry out the call with just one person. On occasions, we ask whether a family member can assist, and if they are willing, our carer will carry out the call with them. We know of no instances where double up calls were carried out with no second person. Rotas are prepared as far in advance as possible but there may be occasions where staff illnesses or holidays mean that this can be delayed. We apologise if this has caused you any distress. In relation to your last month's wages not being paid, we know nothing of this and would appreciate you getting in touch immediately on info@abacare.org.uk so that we can look into your statement in detail.

Finally, we do have a grievance procedure for all and any issues that you have experienced at work should your line manager and the Branch Manager not be able to resolve any issues. Because your review has been posted anonymously and you have made generic statements it is difficult to comment further, however, we hope that you will accept our request to get in touch.

Don’t work for them
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Wales29 October 2017
Worst company I have ever worked for poor management managers phoning you up after 11 at night to give you your hrs for the next day double man calls being done by single person
31 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review Abacare. We are sorry that you feel the role at Abacare was not a good one for you.

We take all of our reviews very seriously and would like to hear from you about double handed calls. None of our Carers are permitted nor are we insured for a single carer to carry out a double handed call. In cases of emergency we do sometimes ask a family member to assist if the second carer is either held up or sick. We have never advocated a single carer for a double handed call and would appreciate information for you on info@abacare.org.uk so that we can act upon the information to make sure that if this did happen, it does not happen again.

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

love the service users
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 October 2017
Love the service users that you have everyday, but management are not very good. Love being able to interact with the elderly and making sure they have all the help they need.
7 March 2019

Thank you for your excellent review of Abacare! We cannot thank you enough for your hard work with all of the service users that you make a difference to. We would like to understand the comment you have made about management and would like to invite you to email info@abacare.org.uk so that we can understand further.
We look forward to receiving your email.

Hmmm mixed review
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Abercynon, Rhondda Cynon Taff22 October 2017
I love working in the community, getting to know service users and how I can help them to make their life easier. Hours are long. You get paid the hours you work of course! But petrol and travel allowance is terrible. You run your car to the ground on this job. I put around £60-£80 in my car for fuel a month to get £14-£20 back! Discusting!! I’m paying myself to work! Staff are amazing at the branch and do try their best to help with issues. Carers in the community (just a few) do not play as a team! They take sickness days and expect other Carers to pick up their work leaving staff to give up their days off to work! There is no team spirit at all. There are only a few and the rest well are like one big family! We help out where we can. So if your thinking of working with Abacare be prepared to work as a team, Ive made friends in this company not with just the Carers but the office staff also. Everyone moans about the staff but in my opinion if you do your job correctly then they will help you as much as they can. If you hand in calls and call in supposedly sick and don’t do your job correctly then of course your going to be in trouble.
Pros
Meeting service users and their families. Making friendships with colleagues.
Cons
Long hours, fuel and travel allowance poor, No HR department to even discuss problems with pay/contracts.
31 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review Abacare. We are delighted that you seem to have a real affinity for your role and the difference that you make to the service users that we look after in the community.

We are sorry that you feel your mileage and travel time are not correct and would welcome the opportunity to go through this with you. Please do get in touch with us on info@abacare.org.uk.

We are also concerned that you think there is no HR department in your branch. Your branch manager is the first port of call and any HR issues that she cannot assist with are referred to the HR consultant who visits your branch every two weeks. Again, if you have any questions we can assist with, please let us know on info@abacare.org.uk and we would be happy to explain and assist.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review Abacare. It is warmly appreciated.

Hmmmm Not alot
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wales8 October 2017
long hours, rubbish pay
loved meeting all the clients......
management only there when they want something, otherwise your chasing them up..
staff seem to come and go once they see the wage they get.
Pros
Get to meet some lovely people.
Cons
Money not good.

Comment – 8 March 2018

AVOID THIS COMPANY, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR STAFF.
IF I HAD READ ALL THE REVIEWS BEFORE I JOINED THEM I WOULDNT OF APPLIED FOR THE JOB. THEY HAVE LOST SO MANY GOOD CARERS OVER THE YEARS BECAUSE OF HOURS, WAGES, NO COMMUNICATION, THE LIST GOES ON & ON, SO IF YOU ARE THINKING OF JOINING ABACARE GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

11 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Abacare.
We are sorry to learn that you feel management were not available for you during your employment with us. We continually strive to learn and improve our communication and would welcome contact from you on info@abacare.org.uk to tell us where you worked and who your managers were and any issues that you experienced. We take all of our reviews seriously and would like to understand where we can make improvements.
Thank you for reviewing Abacare - it is warmly appreciated!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abacare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4