AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 93 reviews matching the search See all 3,508 reviews
just no
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield5 December 2018
no direction no idea what your job is a nasty toxic environment of blame and fear so bad that people lie

hardest part of job doing timesheets and coping with constant micro management and bullying
activities outside your job were fun
Pros
flexi time ish
Cons
too many to mention
Awful management, bullying is rife
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire4 December 2018
AECOM in the South-west was atrocious, the first year there was fun, they encouraged development etc. but soon after, I learned that HR and management was a mess - a lot of bullying went on and people's ideas and work-life balance was a clear indicator that stress, caused by bad leadership and project management, was a key factor.

Nobody listened to the employee handbook unless it suited them, and it was generally a bad place to work - would not recommend. Wages were poor and every review, most people were kicked down to prevent a payrise, and if you were lucky, you may have gotten a 3% payrise.

Juniors who were new to AECOM in these regional offices assumed this is normal behaviour and a lot of people have resigned, which is either unrecognised or ignored when improvements could have been made.
Pros
Good management does exist but is rare, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, poor management, no interpersonal care from HR or senior management
Avoid
Engineer Technician (Current Employee) –  Uk1 December 2018
Poor company, poor pay, no consideration for their staff, play lip service to mental health and work life balance. Really all they want is more and more form their staff and give less
Pros
Cons
Every day
Ingeniería más grande del mundo
Civi Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester10 September 2018
Muy buena empresa, con excelente formación interna para sus trabajadores e interesantes proyectos.
Now a poor place to be
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  UK6 September 2018
Used to be a really good place but now its all about shareholder value.
Those at the top don't care as they will be rewarded for failure regardless.
No career progression, but if you are a plodder who is happy with quality controlled mediocrity, then aecom is for you.
Pros
its a job
Cons
you have to work for aecom
Boring, hypocritical, and no direction.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 August 2018
If you want a career in Planning it wishing to further your planning skills then AECOM in the UK should be avoided. From North to South of England they have to be the worst disoriented consultancy company when it’s comes to Planning and Project Controls. There’s no structure or form of guidance when it comes to planning. In fact the majority of project directors and managers don’t even know what planning is about who rely on senior planners!! To make matters worse, senior planners cover up there cracks who haven’t got a clue how to plan! It’s the blind leading the blind!! AECOM is an insult to human intelligence. My advice stay away!
Pros
Social Events
Cons
Too many directors thinking they are the boss!!!
Productive and Learned a lot
Architectural Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2018
People there are professional and really productive. Learns a lot, very useful experiences. The office environment is very nice..........................
Intern Housing disrepair (Former Employee) –  Liverpool25 July 2018
Working with AECOM gave me a chance to learn about construction in the United Kingdom. I have learned about standards and norms. I also have been able to improve my English on a professional level.
Very concentrated but also fast working work place
Assisant (Former Employee) –  Leeds18 July 2018
On a regular day I would learn to run a programme especially for engineering such as designing of roads to make sure it is accessible by most or all types of vehicles
Very disappointing
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 June 2018
Lots of talk about important things, but values swing and shift like the weather. Salaries are significantly behind others in the City. Much happier now I’m out which is disappointing to say.
Pros
Local team/people
Cons
Business has no direction, weak senior leaders
productive and interesting work environment
Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ashford15 May 2018
great place to work even though i have not worked there long, i gained much needed experience in the field of engineering. this helped me get into university. the staff and management were very supportive
Good place to work for graduates
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 April 2018
Workplace culture, offices environments, project work is good and complex

Range if opportunities for career progression particularly for engineers

Sports and social teams and CSR committees to keep employees engaged and opportinities for people to network within an office

Opportunities to travel across the UK and internationally depending on field of work
Great work-life balance, okay salary, little interest in development
Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester28 March 2018
My time with AECOM was mixed. Sometimes it was great, working on big and important projects, and sometimes I was stuck doing a technician's task because my managers couldn't allocate me enough work. The pay is okay - a little on the lower end, but they compensate for it with a nice benefits package.

AECOM is a great place for those who wish to travel, relocate or go live/work in another country. However, my experience when it comes to personal and professional development is pretty negative. I was often denied CPD opportunities because my manager thought that "the resources were better spent elsewhere" which is very damaging for anyone who looks to develop their career rapidly.
Pros
Good projects, many opportunities for relocation/travel, good benefits package, good work-life balance
Cons
Lower-than-average salaries, very little opportunity for advancement, you are just a number amongst 100, 000 others
Fantastic Experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 February 2018
A two week work experience opportunity, great to get experience in a professional environment and the opportunity to add to the resume. Finished with a design document to show for my work.
Work Experience
Architectural Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 February 2018
I did work experience at the company carrying out basic auto cad and doing simple drawings. Also I went to the other design practice where I had a sight visit and this gave me an insight into the industry.
Pros
Long break
Cons
Stress full envrionment
Fun place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 January 2018
An ideal place to work, great staff & a really nice atmosphere to work in.

Would recommend AECOM Cardiff to anyone who wishes to work in a busy fun evironment
Awful
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 December 2017
I wouldn’t recommend working here. I am a CAD technician and have been with the company for a year I felt being pushed out by people in the office a number of times and no one is friendly there is no atmosphere in the office. If you enjoy banter don’t apply here
Pros
N/a
Cons
If you aren’t from the area you’re looked down on
Productive workplace
Senior Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  London19 December 2017
Clear processes and procedures.
Clear management style and structure.
Working culture that promotes teamwork, information sharing.
Experienced and skilled co-workers. Good learning environment.
For a big consultancy there is not a lot of work
Graduate Engineer (Current Employee) –  London10 November 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is my team.

My department management is not great. Not very approachable or personable. They always focus on utilisation and you are always under pressure to ensure you are keeping busy on a project or else they will lose money on overheads. Rather than focusing on utilisation management should focus on getting a work winning team that keeps us busy.

Periods of ups and downs in terms of work loads. Always fluctuates so when we do have work we don't have enough resources and when we don't have work everyone is left with nothing to do for a long period so they ship people off to different companies for a period of time and forget about them.
Pros
Nice office, teams social
Cons
Projects are very dull and boring
Dysfunctional
Senior Engineer/Designer (Former Employee) –  Stepps6 November 2017
Too construction centric, poor decision making and lack of experianced managment made for a miserable experience. Constantly putting the cart before the horse with regards to design/construction creating an emergency state for almost everything going out the door. A sense of mistrust coming from upper managenment reflecting in their "new changes" within the office. An office arrangment like I've never seen before - desks jammed so tight that you couldn't move around without banging someone elses chair near you.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
not a good learning enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AECOM. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K