A.F. Blakemore and Sons Ltd

A.F. Blakemore and Sons Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews
Ok
- manage pick ticket orders.
- pulls warehouse items from the shelves based on number, size, colour, quantity and quality requirements.

- ensures that orders are accurate.

- stages items correctly for delivery.

- operates handling equipment and ensures safety regulations and followed.
Wonderful environment and people
Excellent workplace only negative is non flexible working
Management and staff really supportive great culture to work in

Potential for younger person to progress through development. Good nternal training and other training available
Pros
Great culture and staff and managers
Cons
Non flexible working
Aweful
Professional drivers are treated like non skilled workers. 20 or more drivers left in a 12 month period. You will be spoken down to by the office and told what you will be doing. You're told your start time from 4pm to 8pm the night time. You could be waiting for hours to be loaded before departing, with nobody able to tell you what's going on. There is no communication within the company at all. The driver is blamed by office for deliveries being late, wrong or missing. Many problems within the company, too many to list.
No go there
I worked there for 5 and half years under bad management but the people I worked with were nice. Whilst I was there I learned how to be reliable a use basic communication skills to do my job.
Not good
Hygiene is terabble would. Not advise anyone to go there you get underpaid and rush the round off your feet all day that's a good company to work for the hygiene is rubbish
Not too bad
Some of the sectors of the company is great and some are not as good and in some cases your just another number but if you get on the good ones you will enjoy it
Worst job ive ever had
Get paid peanuts for multi drop run with upto 15 drops and 30 plus cages of handball. No help whatsoever. The old drivers there are falling apart but will never leave. Just a number there, no loyalties they just want the work out. Bodged up trailers and on a bonus related job. Could be down for 12 hours , do it in 11 and get paid 10. Absolutely shocking. Its good for experience, that is it.
Painful place to work
If you want a life outside of your job then don’t work here. If you give them an inch they will want a mile, they also not grateful for going above and beyond. You work your day off because they short staffed there’s no gratitude if anything they are doing you a favour some how.

My honest opinion prison is more appealing
Had excellent time working for the company, over 20 years. Was made redundant due to closure of the retail warehouse, but overall was a pleasure working for the company.
Long Days
Not a supportive environment, with goal posts being moved constantly, leading to many staff burning out and leaving the company, which leads to high staff turnover.
Not valued just an apprentice
As an apprentice given basic training, constantly pressured to meet bonuses.
Loved the job did nine months no time off, never had any problems one accident following advice on how to get quicker on FLT by a manager and permanent staff. Followed procedure admitted I had gone to fast but lost my job.

A health and safety issue that had no health and safety officer present and took 14 minutes to investigate with me.

A permanent member of staff who was involved got given a payment, union said it was to keep quiet about the incident.

The trucks were also slowed down with speed restrictiors the following day.

Up until then I had loved my job and saw a future with Blakemores as did my manager.

BUT BEWARE AS AN APPRENTICE YOU ARE NOT VALUED AND DEFINITELY GET NO SUPPORT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG. GET RID AND EMPLOY ANOTHER!!!!!!...
Pros
Drinks uniform supplied
Cons
Poor management
Don't care about their staff
No respect for staff, management are aweful they are only interested in arguing with each other and bullying members of staff. Not enough work to hit your bonus so you only get minimum wage.
Do not work here
I was on probation period and In 3 months I had 3 days off due to being Ill. They sacked me and told me I had too many days off yet on a lot of occasions they would send us home in the middle of the night due to there being no work.
An ordinary day of work involved catching up on the reconciliation back log and attending to the auditor's queries. The culture was one of partnership within teams which is quite beneficial to all.
Don't care about their staff
This company opens even in Christmas day they may pay extra but it is a requirement that someone within the store works they do not care about work life balance and are Very poor payers unless they are forced to increase minimum wage
Pros
10% discount
Really think about this
REACH TRUCK DRIVER salary 9.51 a hour performance related please think before you apply when there is not enough work to hit 100% pay you will drop to 85% pay (which equates to NMW) not your fault the work isn't there PICKERS GET 90% WHEN THERE IS NO WORK which again works out to more than a reach truck drivers wage at 85% on mornings there is very little in the way of work for reach truck drivers so practically impossible to hit 100% without cheating ie telling system there is 0 packs when the pick face is full is full CONSTANTLY HELD UP BY PICKERS THAT WILL NOT MOVE AGAIN LOSING TIME OFF YOUR PERCENTAGE BONUS THIS ENCOURAGES DANGEROUS DRIVING BY FLT TO TRY TO EARN HOURLY RATE OF 9.51 pallets are staked on top of each other in racking not all but a fair amount and if you only require one of the 3 stacked on each other you have to drop pallet remove the ones you do not require and put them back into same place in racking(you do not get paid time for this only for the pallet you move/work if you take the pallet to work it and the pick face is full although system has asked for replenish you do not get paid for the pallet you take back to original location ) THE SYSTEM IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE IN MY OPINION THERE ARE TO MANY FLT ON AT THE SAME TIME FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK REQUIRED TO HIT 100% PAY THE CAGE KICKER EARNS THE SAME AS A REACH DRIVER WHEN THERE IS NO WORK FOR FLT OR YOU HIT 85% (8.21) A HOUR FOR REACH DRIVER CAGE ASSEMBLER (8.21) A HOUR STANDARD RATE BE WARNED YOU WILL ONLY HIT 100% OR 115% IF YOU CHEAT THE SYSTEM BUT WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT YOU ARE SACKED AND OUT OF WORK
Pros
Cons
Poor pay structure encourages bad flt driving
Absolute scam
I worked as a sales assistant with spar from September until January I should've realised that they only wanted a skivvy to work over Christmas and to cover other employees shifts on your days off and you haven't even met them who you're covering for. They kept accusing me of cheating the system and said my float and the end was down which with years of retail experience myself I knew was a lie. They stole at least half of my first 2 months of wages as tax which I had to write a letter to hr to get it refunded. In conclusion I wouldn't even bother applying to any advert they have they will just expect you to work for nothing on your days off and cover employees who you never meet.
I left the job because i knew they weren't a very good company to work for and knew for a fact I was over qualified for the position and could have easily ran the company myself and do a much better job.

Stay well clear go to a much better company who won't try to take advantage of you and your good nature or hardworking attitude.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Shocking company
Absolute joke of a company. Come across as being strict on health and safety but wanted me to take out an old truck with bits falling off without the right training. I refused to take it and got sacked, no warnings. Seeking legal advice.
Treat apprentices like dirt
No respect for new young workers. Sack staff without even a written warning. Disregards heath and safety in the workplace and doesn't care about staff safety.
Pros
Cons
Bad management.
Dont do it
Expected to be at work 7 days a week, from open at 7 to close at 11 if short stufffed. No support. No training but high standards expected even when short staffed. Short stuffed because of cuts. Sales assistant working a 16 hour contract could easily be expected to do 40 and be called on their day off and demanded to come in, it is worse if you are a Manager!

It looks like a professional company but it is poorly run

If you dont want a home life and dont mind being on call every day from morning to night, with rubbish pay, then you might be happy here.
Pros
if you want to be a slave then this is the place
not what i thought it would of turned into i use to work as a loader there many yrs ago but the company has changed a lot but if you want to work at a fast pace then this might be the job for you
Pros
get the hrs in and your a fast picker then this is for you
Cons
will always want more from you no matter what
Ask a question about working or interviewing at A.F. Blakemore and Sons Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5