A.F. Blakemore and Sons Ltd Employee Reviews

Order Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pontyclun, Rhondda Cynon Taff1 May 2018
Great atmosphere, friendly people. Lots of different jobs to do so always occupied, which makes the day go quicker. Management is good and friendly and treat you as an equal.
Pros
people, environment, fun
Cons
time of hours, pay
Have to fit in
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire24 April 2018
If your face doesn’t fit you are ignored by some staff , you are taken on as part time but end up with full time hours , be prepared to work lots of days with only one day off at a time , hours are given to some staff ie favourites and you end up doing all the other hours if you value your weekends stay clear you never get a full weekend off , and you work like a dog while other staff stand doing nothing
Pros
Non
Cons
Long hours no days off
Great work place
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Pontyclun, Rhondda Cynon Taff10 April 2018
I first worked for cappa and then af blakemore logistics took over from cappa about six years ago it not bad company to work for I am shop steward down in af blakemore logistics for the usdaw union I enjoy my job but it is time for a change need Monday to Friday to spend more time with my family .
Pros
Cateen
Long hours,no social life
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  West Midlands7 March 2018
Company is failing they have got a big turn over but profit is tiny, equipment is outdated and unsafe to use at most times only decent part of working for this company is a good work team if your in the right department
Pros
Not any
Cons
Unsafe working environment
Easy going culture but no chance for advancement
Retail IT (Current Employee) –  Willenhall10 January 2018
Advancement is only possible if you have been here for 10+years

If you dont want to advance then it is a good 9 to 5 job

Training is normally in house but some jobs offers industry standard certfication
Fun place
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton5 October 2017
Long hours only casional seasonal working. Achive a daily score out of 100%. theirs discount on whateva product you purchase from the stores. Fun work place to work if you like long hours and order picker/Labeling goods.
Does alot for the community
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales3 September 2017
This is a good family run company to work for. They do a lot for the community and charity. They do well to keep you updated with everything going on with the company and if you work hard it will be recognised
Pros
Awards for excellence
Cons
Quite a pressured environment
Internship
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands4 July 2017
the Staff at Blakemores HR department were very helpful and friendly. The work was fulfilling and interesting, and worth doing. very good company to work for
this is a productive work place
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport19 May 2017
this company was a very good company I would advise many people to work there. I left the company to further my career and the was issues in the work place
Pros
good buy products from cash and carry
Cons
manegement is alawys hectic
Grocery, fresh.frozen and non grocery products
clerk and team leader (Former Employee) –  Willenhall27 April 2017
Called customers and took there orders. Put the orders in run order and then invoiced. Also worked in the claims departments and chilled/frozen department.
Pros
30 minutes lunch & no breaks
Cons
worked 37 hours plus overtime and bank holidays

Want to know more about A.F. Blakemore and Sons Ltd?

Ask a question
retail workplace
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Sulley, Uk20 April 2017
I worked there as a Sales and service officer , again in UK under a british manager.
Learned a lot and really cherish the memories of working in such a place.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
no place to sit
Productive company to work for
HGV Class 1 & Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Willenhall, West Midlands29 March 2017
I have enjoyed working at A.F. Blakemore for over 10 years. I started as a Chilled Assembler and I have worked my way through. I now hold a full HGV Driving licence and fully enjoy driving. But after the transport department was taken over by new management I felt the work load had changed.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Unappreciated in my job
Great People to work with
Trading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK20 March 2017
I loved working for this company but unfortunately I was struggling with the full time hours due to child care issues. I Was very sad to leave the company as I loved the position I was working within.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Hours
Fast paced business
Chilled food operative (Former Employee) –  Willenhall, West Midlands17 March 2017
Overall i enjoyed my time at AF blakemores, it was a much needed learning curve on my route to growing up. It was a very fast paced working environment, as the pay was hugely based on 'piece work'.
avarage
GENERAL STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire26 February 2017
Great company to work for if you are a sales assistant . Not so great if you are store manager, wages are just a joke. the worst IT systems I have ever worked with, weird and long winded retail operations. On a positive side, nice people and great atmosphere, nice stores and I love our Spar Radio, it helps to get through the day
Pros
great people and supprot, nice stores, Spar radio helps to get through the day
Cons
wages, staff issues, no comany benefits
Not great
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands14 January 2017
Favouritism among management as family and friends are only hired there. Also, one rule applies to one and not to all. Don't work here, please! Nothing but bad memories and experiences here.
order picking
Warehouse Operative/ hygienist (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton10 January 2017
bonus related pay
allowed to conduct job role without having management hanging around
management are unfair if your face fits or are liked by upper management then you will go far but can be treated unfairly on this basis
high turn over of staff long shifts
Pros
are able to conduct job role with out being watched all the time by management
Cons
management can be unfair a lot of rumours everybody into each others bussiness
Productive, supportive and friendly
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Willenhall4 July 2016
My 12 months spent at Blakemore Design and Shopfitting were highly educational and inspiring at times. The staff were friendly and supportive, and pushed me to improve on my existing skills while teaching me many important, new ones.
Poor management
Shunter Driver (Former Employee) –  Willenhall18 May 2016
Expected and demanded you to work overtime with very little or no notice hence a culture of long hours was in force. A good sick pay scheme but as a result you were pestered to return to work after a short absence, I was referred to occupational health after only ten days sick.
Pros
Few
Cons
Plenty
great people to work with as in colleagues
Order Picker/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Walsall15 April 2016
the management isn't the best as there all young and treat people like they were in school and the way they discipline people is a joke. if ya had a day off you would come back and on that day they put you somewhere where you don't like to work in other words the bad jobs .
Pros
break every 2 hours
Cons
could work a 60 hour week