A-Plant Employee Reviews

Worked there 3 years
Mobile Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 November 2019
Work was dull,inadequately trained workshop staff, lack of safety protocols on machinery leaving workshop, no overtime, Lowest pay for a plant hire firm
Stay clear
Driver (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 November 2019
I would advise everybody to stay clear of this joke of a company. The office staff are nothing but self centred bullies who talk to you and customers like dirt . The equipment is rushed out without getting a proper check but if there's a problem the fitters get blame .the drivers get spoken to like second class citizens who have to obey her majesty or pay the consequences. You don't get payed overtime and don't expect a dinner break. Overall I would stay clear of this place try gap or speedy much better
for overtime .
Dangerous money driven management
Plant Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fareham25 November 2019
THE most dangerous company I’ve ever had the misfortune to work for. Overcrowded dilapidated yard, accidents not reported, paperwork forged or falsified, health and safety nightmare. Some days you would wonder if you would make it home!! Bodge repairs carried out as company refused to buy spares, management only care about profit...and I really mean that. This accounts for the very high staff turnover
Productive and challenging
Hire Controller (Current Employee) –  Chadderton13 November 2019
day to day dealing with customers over the phone and emails.
learned the products ect,
management is okay depending who you go to, some are very helpful and some don't bat an eyelid.
workplace is very fun and welcoming (workshop only)
hardest part of the job is getting answers.
most enjoyable is when you overcome the challenges to make the customer happy.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
communication is poor in office
No life and work balance
Traffic Management Operative (Former Employee) –  Kingston Bagpuize1 November 2019
Jobs only good if you want to work all the time and want to be on your own setting up temp road light wasn't a bad job the only problems is you are expected to work all the hours under the sun
Tea room
Plant fitter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 October 2019
It’s never cleaned
The fridge is filthy and tiny
There 2 chairs for 10 employees
You get watched and timed
Couldn’t eat without pressure on you to get back working
Brutal rude manager
Rental Manager (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester27 October 2019
Manager screams at you in front of full office to a point that it causes serious embarrassment for the person being singled out and rest of staff. I have witnessed many times the uncontrollable anger of the depot manager to the point I have had to resign because of it.
Pros
They let you out at end of shift
Cons
Very stressful
Its ok but you have to fit in with your work colleagues
Plant Fitter (Former Employee) –  Norwich21 October 2019
Nice job,to much back stabbing no progress in your job lots of we can sort that but it never happened!!!.only favourites get on!🤬.some nice people there would have been nice to have progressed in that job!. Every thing is done by the book.very safe working !!.environment!.noboun
Stressful and fastpaced
Senior Rental Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland10 October 2019
Large company to work for where communication is way down their to do list. A plant are very good at taking but not so good at giving. Goalposts continue to move. Salaries don't like up with other companies carrying out the same jobs
Very Poor, Mangement think everyone is thick
Traffic Management Operative (Former Employee) –  North East11 September 2019
All management here think we are all thick, we are just minions to them not appreciated at all, overtime payment is a joke and if you don’t want to do overtime after a week of 12 hours a day then why should we?
Call out is a joke we operatives didn’t sign agreement to the customer so they need to pay us right!
Everyone steer clear of this company.
Pros
You get a van
Cons
No work/home balance
Fun work place
Member (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London9 September 2019
its a very hard and challenging work , but its fun at times and the team members are very cool as well. we get to work at some very interesting place such as the football stadiums , carnivals , music festival etc .
Avoid
Fotyer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 September 2019
If you want to end up with serious mental health issues then this is the job for you.
Screaming unprofessional managers humiliate you and health & safety is shocking. Always breaking their own rules and send defective kit out. Money is more important than safety.
Management will take every opportunity to make sure to belittle you.
Worst company ever
Plant delivered very driver (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk3 September 2019
Aplant is the worst company ever management don't know what there doing promise things and never happens paid me off got it in a letter of pay and then don't get it never work for this company it's to much hassle not even hr knows what they r doing I would not recommend anyone to work for them managers look after them selves only. BE CAREFUL YOU WHERE WARNED
Con-artists, management are liars, lack of empathy for anything other than work related matters
Driver (Former Employee) –  England23 August 2019
I worked for Opti-Cal Survey Equipment for 9 months, originally on a 6-month probation but no probation meeting took place, was told of a good bonus scheme when in interview, good work/homelife balance, worked my time and secured my bonus (or so I thought), which was confirmed via email on my work email account from Opti-Cal's director.

As I am no longer with the company, I was always lead to be under the impression that I would still get this in my final pay, as I was always told by my Branch Manager that this was a Contractural Bonus, but the company is now refusing to co-operate (even after ACAS have been in contact to try to resolve this issue).

I had to leave my position as a driver on very short notice as I can no longer drive or lift anything, I have been diagnosed with a tumour on my spine (we're still unsure if this is cancerous or not) and this has affected my everyday functionality drastically. All of this was explained to my manager who just walked off when I explained all this to him. With the added stress of chasing something I have helped the company and fellow employees earn, this has affected my well-being immensely. I am now looking at taking the company to court for this and also damages for the stress from chasing this up with a very un-cooperative company unless the company is willing to contact me directly and cooperate on this matter.

Be wary when applying as the bonus is not a contractual entitlement but a discretionary one. This is very poor practice from a large company like A-Plant (who brought out the Opti-Cal division back in 2016) who
  more... have proved they only look out for themselves.

The work/homelife balance isn't great either, numerous times we were asked to run additional jobs to sites at the end of the day, no actual training as given for anything like Heavy Lifting, Working with Shark Objects (the usual stuff a company makes you go through) all we had to do was sign a bit of paper to say we received training.
A tedious, unrewarding dangerous shambles.
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Stockton-On-Tees21 August 2019
Worst place to work I've ever experienced. Bad back stabbing atmosphere. Bonus driven management "click" who put staff low on their list of priorities and health and safety even lower. Wouldn't advise anyone to apply unless you enjoy feeling undervalued and under paid. Glad to see the back of it.
Traffic management
Traffic Management Operative (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham19 August 2019
Shocking company to work for management haven't got a clue how to run the company. Force work on you and expect you to finish what ever time they say so often working 15 hour shifts on a weekend and unable to leave due to managers making you stay. Your just a number and are treated like rubbish. Shocking pay and oftern are put in positions where management don't support you and expect you to break the law to get a job done so they get the money for it. They would rather see someone dead or seriously hurt for the money than practice what you've been taught.
Pros
Good bunch of work colleagues
Cons
Terrible management
Preston A Plant
Traffic Management Operative (Current Employee) –  Preston19 August 2019
Worked here for just over two years. The job itself is excellent, however the Manageress always sticks her unknowlagable nose into everything. Senior management have little to do with day to day running so unable to follow any grievance procedures.
If you want a job that give you no respect or opportunities of training then Preston Aplant is the place to go!!
Toxic
Run around (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire17 August 2019
Managers only care about bonus/ budget, speak to staff like there worthless.
No teamwork. HR absolute usless. No training at this depo, never seen so many staff come and go at a company. Heating left broken for winter, no fans or air conditioning in workshop in summer. PPE is held back to reduce the spending. Don't waste your time.
Only positive is weekends off.
Avoid this place ,Health and Safety Issues , HR don't back you up
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 August 2019
All seemed great at the Interview, to sell the idea to you ,first weeks very disappointing ,expected to learn the job in a week ,frowned upon if you ask for your PPE on day 2 . Asked to lift heavy machinery with Driver -fitters who were called back into the yard whilst off sick with back injuries ! .

Rude managers very unprofessional .

Company induction was in week 3 ,but asked to put your health and safety at risk well before any proper induction in week 1 . The management just want to get hire equipment out whatever the cost to your health and safety .I have worked for large plc companies in the past ,and they make a point of looking after you , so you can go home to your family safe each night after work, Not this place !!

The management culture seems to be drink driven ,so most mornings you have to face moody hungover people who attempt to teach you your job role.

I resigned and demanded a HR meeting thinking I would get a good back up about my issues ,you must be joking ,they all stick together like glue .A waste of my time and a bitter end to a new career I thought would be a great fit for me .I got paid for all the work I did whilst I was there .

But I see the same role advertised all the time ,and this place has a very high turnover of staff ,My sales role was the 8th position to be filled in 2 years ,No one sticks around for long when they realise it was a big mistake to accept the job offer in the 1st place .

Take my advise ,find a far better company to build your life and career with going forward. Trust me ...........
Pros
A working wage and a Job at the end of the day .
Cons
Poor managers /HR don't back you up, just ask you to resign .
Very poor. Avoid if possible
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Various14 August 2019
Poorly managed, low work standards a culture of bad practice throughout. Clueless about real time issues. Kit constantly robbed for spares.
No apparent care for staffs personal issues.
I worked for the company for 8yrs across 3 different depots and areas and found these things rife throughout.
Pros
Low expectations.
Cons
No consideration for life balance