We are looking for a Head of Civil Engineering & Design to have overall management responsibility for Onshore engineering and the design team within the Discipline, working in liaison with the Head of Structural Engineering – Offshore.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for the completion of Corporate and project deliverables ensuring outputs of the team are to the required standard and are delivered on time and within budget.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Drive the Safety culture of the organisation through leading by example for the discipline group.
• Lead and manage the team whilst building a solid foundation for future growth. This includes understanding the future direction of the business and from this understanding: recruit key staff or mentor / train / develop existing staff across all experience levels to address the needs.
• Allocation of suitably qualified and experienced discipline personnel to projects such that the competence of the individuals matches the specific requirements of the roles.
• Manage the utilisation of the discipline team through effective collaboration with project teams and proactive planning and action.
• Carry out regular reviews of staff performance, providing the appropriate level of feedback and coaching.
• Review salaries and agency rates, in conjunction with the HR Department, to ensure a balance of cost effectiveness and personnel retention.
• Working in conjunction with the Head of Structural Engineering – Offshore: Provide overall management of the Graduate population within the discipline ensuring they progress effectively to attain their Chartered / Incorporated status.
• Engage with other heads of discipline in other SNC-Lavalin execution centres to share resources, and knowledge and support an effective Community of Practice.
• Ensuring all discipline Engineering & Design work is executed in accordance with the IMS Protocols / Processes and Project Execution and Quality Plans.
• Ensuring all discipline Engineering & Design solutions are cost effective, safe and fully compliant with current legislation, applicable codes & standards and design criteria.
• Ensuring the appropriate Technical Integrity Management processes are planned and appropriately executed (Design Reviews, Technical Audits, etc) by demonstrable competent personnel.
• Ensuring discipline related change is identified on projects (whether resulting in changes in Home office Professional Services costs, procured equipment costs, materials & sub-contract costs or schedule delay) are identified proactively and Deviation Alerts raised.
• Provide meaningful technical advice and aid timely decision-making, balancing the interests and commercial needs of the Company with those of the clients.
• Ensuring that the discipline monitors and effectively manages delivery performance on projects through Earned Value Analysis (CPI & SPI) and supporting Lead Engineers in proactively managing performance issues.
• Ensuring opportunities for discipline Engineering & Design Workshare are fully exploited through the development / implementation of robust Workshare execution strategies and effective planning and proactive management of the implementation.
• Ensuring the discipline keep up-to-date with applicable current good practice, technology and techniques.
• Consistently challenge the discipline corporate standards, technical resources, guidelines, standards and delivery processes to drive Continuous Improvement within the discipline.
• Actively contribute to addressing proposal requirements related to the discipline and developing effective discipline execution plans.
• Develop appropriate, accurate and cost-effective estimates for discipline Engineering and Design services that reflect the scope and defined execution plans.
• Where required, contribute to the strategy and development process through effective interaction with clients and participation in presentations.
• Ensure that discipline Engineering Analysis and Design execution systems are appropriate to the nature of the work being executed and are verified for their use.
• Ensure that optimum integration of the discipline Engineering & Design systems is achieved and maintained to maximize productivity and quality of discipline delivery and extract maximum value from project data (including integration of Workshare partners and the supply chain).
• Ensure the planned implementation of discipline Engineering and Design tools and systems is achieved in accordance with project requirements.
• Extensive experience in the technical discipline and preferably previous experience in a similar discipline head role.
• Degree qualified and a Chartered Civil and/or Structural Engineer and preferably a Fellow of the institute or equivalent
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills at all levels.
• Ability to motivate, inspire, direct and mobilise a team to reach a common goal.
• Flexible with a positive approach to change, continually looking for ways to drive Continuous Improvement within the discipline and delivering on this.
• Experience in resourcing and management of personnel, both contract and permanent.
• Extensive experience in the Engineering and Design of Onshore civil infrastructure and structures associated with Hydrocarbons and Chemicals facilities.
• Practical experience in construction and fabrication yards.
• Previous experience of managing discipline delivery through a Workshare model.
• Ability to travel internationally, when necessary.
Salary range is between £80,000 - £90,000 and benefits package.
Closing date for applications is 26th April 2013.
SNC-Lavalin - 21 months ago
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world and a major player in the ownership of...