Senior Legal Adviser
Global Banking & Markets: Payments and Cash Management
New or Existing Role?
- To provide support to Payments and Cash Management (PCM) and proactively assist the Line Manager to deliver a responsive service.
- To advise PCM on contractual matters and undertake negotiations, especially relating to its principal global product offerings (e.g. account opening, e-channels and liquidity management solutions) and to work closely with PCM’s documentation and sales teams.
- To advise on key legal/regulatory developments which affect PCM and develop expertise in relation to European legislation such as the Payment Services Directive and the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA).
- To obtain relevant legal opinions required to support PCM’s products such as netting opinions required in relation to pooling.
- To develop product documentation for PCM’s miscellaneous product offerings (e.g. cash processing and payment-focused services).
- To advise in relation to matters affecting
UK and EU payment systems (e.g. BACS, CHAPS, Cheque and Credit Clearing, Faster Payments and any SEPA PEACH) including settlement risk issues.
- To provide legal support on relevant PCM projects and participate in the PCM Global Legal Practice Group
Impact on the Business/Function
Customers / Stakeholders
- Provide counsel and legal support on a variety of legal matters to PCM,
including matters that may be complex or may have some impact
- To be considered to be a trusted adviser to PCM
by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner to PCM
- Provide support and guidance to PCM with regard to legal risks arising
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and sometimes complex and /or specialised legal advice to PCM
- Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising PCM promptly of material legal developments and their implications
- Ensure senior legal management is fully briefed on major issues arising in PCM and major legislative changes in area of expertise
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members within GBM, CMB and PCM LGA, and business departments for which the lawyer is responsible
- Participate effectively as part of the GBM, CMB and PCM Legal Teams
- Share legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues
- Manage internal support staff as appropriate
- Provide legal services in a cost-effective manner
- Co-ordinate and manage the approach to legal risk in PCM
to ensure that the interests of the HSBC Group are adequately protected
- Assist PCM to remain compliant with legal risk management requirements set out in the Group Standards Manual and Legal FIM
- Awareness of the operational risks
associated with the role and to ensure that all actions during employment with HSBC take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring
- Leadership over all regulatory and compliance matters and the management of operational risk and adherence to Global Standards
- Ability to adapt work style to meet complex and varied workloads.
- Ability to prioritise workloads in terms of legal risk and commercial considerations.
- Maintain knowledge of HSBC Group operations and policies.
- Ability to think independently being mindful of maintaining an appropriate balance between management and mitigation of legal risk and business efficacy.
- Deepening knowledge of areas of specialty with ability to take a view as to how law is developing in order to advise PCM and reach a solution.
- Increasing ability to handle more complex tasks with less supervision.
- Enhanced relationship with higher levels of management inspiring confidence of customers/stakeholders.
- Ability to balance the need for further analysis and the need for a timely decision given commercial pressures.
Management of Risk
- The lawyer will assist the Line Manager to manage legal risk in PCM regionally in accordance with established policies and procedures.
The diversity of HSBC’s business, its geographic spread and the constant changes internally and externally means the diversity of matters which the lawyer is required to manage and advise on is very wide;
- The role requires an understanding of the structure of the HSBC Group and its culture and the ability to handle increasingly complex legal issues;
- The lawyer must also establish close mutually supportive working relationships with other members of the PCM Legal team and the Global Legal Function;
- Works independently, but seeks management input on unusual situations, highly complex issues, and matters that may pose significant legal, financial and / or reputational risk.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintain awareness of operational risk within PCM and minimize the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting.
- Maintain and observe HSBC internal control standards, implement and observe Global Standards and other compliance policies, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
Legal & Compliance
- Qualified lawyer, with a minimum of five/ten years PQE
- Knowledge of payments and banking law and practice
- Ability to prioritise and work under pressure;
- Good communication and inter-personal skills;
- Lateral thinking/problem solving;
- Independent and able to handle a diverse range of issues; and
- Working knowledge of French an advantage, but not essential
Europe-United Kingdom-Greater London-London
HSBC - 18 months ago
HSBC was set up in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 1865 to finance trade between China and Europe, with an office opening in London the same year....