- Apply Oomycete genetics capability, including,forward and reverse genetics capability in Phytophthora infestans to CPR projects
- Influence the development of tools required to make best use of next generation sequencing for chemical genomic studies
- To develop new assays and techniques using own genetics and biochemical knowledge
- To interpret data and present results independently in order to make contributions to decisions in the work programme content, procedures or problem resolution.
Critical success factors & key challenges
- In discussion with colleagues in Bioscience suggest ideas for the design and prioritisation of work programmes through an understanding of current project results. Maintain a good working relationship with functional colleagues to ensure effective two-way exchange of ideas
- Plan and execute work programmes independently and effectively, combining personal expertise, in house knowledge and comprehensive lit searching to identify appropriate approaches and maximise experimental efficiency
- Apply knowledge and experience to the interpretation of complex data and the identification, understanding and solution of problems in area of expertise as they arise. Suggest solutions to other members of the team to help meet objectives.
- Produce and accurately record all results to agreed Co standards. Summarise and communicate the significance of the data in a variety of ways to ensure it is both understood by and influences own team and people outside the team.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and effective environment by setting high personal standards, and monitoring and advising other staff on agreed standards. Suggest and participate in communal activities which improve the laboratory conditions
- Develop and expand knowledge of own scientific discipline through appropriate reading and attendance at courses and external meetings. Actively seek to broaden understanding of other disciplines Communicate effectively with colleagues in an efficient manner with high concern for impact.
- Identifies problems and thinks up new ideas to improve.
- Leads by example and takes personal responsibility.
- Motivates others and provides support and feedback on performance.
- Plans own and may plan others work effectively.
- Identifies the differing needs of people and adjusts approach to influence them.
- Is constructive in approach to change affecting own area and initiates changes in immediate work place.
- Demonstrates self-sufficiency and sound judgement of when to involve others.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Some formal training and/or qualification (often degree or equivalent may have MSc / PhD) plus 3-4 years hands-on experience in similar or related roles
- Good planning and organising skills
- Good communication skills
- Authoritative knowledge of the work practices, procedures and equipment relevant to the role which may include some formal qualification, broader industry awareness and considerable practical experience
- Good infleuncing and persuading skills
- Requires in-depth knowledge/experience to respond to non-routine situations and to choose the best solution or approach from a range of options, with the ability to consider the short term implications of each
Critical leadership capabilities
- 3-4 years hands-on experience of working in plant pathology preferably with experience of oomycete genetics and biochemistry.
- Experience of working in projects
- Ability to relate scientific work (reports & presentations) in a manner appropriate to the customer/audience
- Experience and skills in using Bioinformatic tools as well as literature search tools and general information databases.
Keeps up to date with current project/business goals.
Identifies and understands critical path for projects and prioritises own work.
Works to the critical path whilst engaging others on their contributions to generate an atmosphere and maintain team focus on shared goals
Accept challenges where likelihood of success is uncertain. Identify the technical critical path and manage the risk effectively according to resources/costs.
Share results/findings in a timely way to encourage and inspire colleagues.
Solve problems by actively identifying and contacting the most relevant people (internal or external) to provide advice.
Plans own and may plan others work effectively. Is aware of financial implications of everyday decisions at work.
Recognise problem steps in methods or processes and be proactive in achieving solutions
Understands own role and corporate responsibilities.
Creates an environment that supports creativity
The successful applicant must be able to demonstrate that they are eligible to live and carry out the particular role in the UK.
Salary range: £28,000 - £34,500 depending on skills & expertise
The work level for this role is 3
Closing date: 14 January 2011
Syngenta - 2 years ago
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of Syngent...