Work in a matrix managed, fast paced Engineering team helping drive the delivery and technical competency of your team and the entire department forward.
Technically lead an agile, cross functional team taking responsibility for the engineering team deliverables and quality.
Working closely with team members and business stakeholders to gather and define requirements
Own the technical design of solutions for your team, working with the appropriate stakeholders including business, architecture and service
Working as part of a Technical Design Authority to ensure consistent high quality designs across ASOS
Owning the technical delivery of the team ensuring the team delivers to required quality and adheres to best practice.
Expected to lead by example, be hands on, involved in all tasks and take on sprint backlog items.
Promote good engineering practices (e.g. unit testing)
Work with the Principals and your fellow Solution architects to the continual improvement of the engineering team
Guide and mentor within the team and provide feedback to the line manages around performance and reviews.
To seek out and actively promote ideas and techniques in the community – both within ASOS and externally
ASOS are passionate about our people; they’re the future of our business, which is why we invest time and effort in recruiting the perfect match! Our employees are passionate about ASOS, their role and the overall success of the company. We are all motivated to drive our own success and achieve individual objectives. Communication is key to any role here as our employees continually build relationships at all levels across the business. We’re fast paced, so all employees need to able to adapt to change pretty quickly, be enthused and excited about what’s around the corner for us.
Some skills you will need
Qualifications & Experience:
- A Degree or similar level qualification.
- Experience working in an e-commerce retail environment
- Proven experience of leading teams in the successful delivery of complex, highly performing and high quality software systems.
- Experience of Agile and XP practices
- Proven experience of leading projects through the full application lifecycle
- Proven experience of working with business stakeholders, Product Owners and Business Analysts to analyse requirements, develop ideas and design solutions
- Understanding of non-functional requirements, quality assurance and continued improvement methods
- Established areas of interest that you keep up to date on in the industry, continuously improve on and blog about
- Proven experience of working with 3rd party systems and organisations
- Commitment to deliver high quality well tested software and to lead those around you to do the same.
- Strong proactive leaderships skills.
- Excellent multi-tasking and strong communication skills are essential.
- Team development and mentoring skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- A good understanding of the Application Lifecycle and a solid understanding of Quality Assurance, Database Engineering and Build and deployment.
- Excellent and proven design capabilities including:
- Design code that adheres to the SOLID principals
- Understands when to make use of asynchronous programming techniques
- Understands message exchange patterns
- Can design and implement loosely coupled applications/systems
- Implication of design choices on scalability and resilience
- Able to evaluate 3rd party systems and libraries
- Can articulate to the business the impact of technology/design choices
- Expert broad base of knowledge in the following technologies:
- .Net 3.5/4
- SQL (T-SQL, Database Design)
- Software design patterns
- Testing (unit, integration etc.)
- Inversion of Control/Dependency Injection.
- Distributed message system design/development
- Visual Studio / TFS
- A BDD framework
- Window Services
- HTTP (headers, cookies etc.)
ASOS - 15 months ago