American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
This role will be part of the team supporting the Premium Products & Benefits (PP&B) line of business in GNICS. This team’s vision is to partner closely with the business, external partners and other teams in AET to develop re-usable capabilities, optimize investment, reduce time-to-market, drive more throughput and to innovate! The team also consults with the business to develop prototypes as well as to develop blueprints & roadmaps for future capabilities, with a strong focus on defining & implementing strategic solutions. This is achieved by having a deep understanding the existing capabilities & the business strategy and vision, priorities and pain points.
The successful candidate will need to be highly adaptable, pro-active and open to change, in a role that will be very varied. There is a need to have strong relationship & influencing skills, including the ability to challenge & query, when collaborating with multiple stakeholders. The role will involve partnering closely with the Lead Business Analyst, Lead Technical Architect & Lead Business Architect in the team.
The successful candidate will need to have:
Works in partnership with Product Owners, and the core and extended team to create and prioritize the product backlog. Responsible for tracking iteration progress, actively contributing to design discussions, issue resolution and removing obstacles to ensure iteration commitments are met. Coaches teams to adopt SDLC methods, Agile values, principles and practices, and actively encourage teams to reflect and improve their delivery capacity.
- A good understanding of the business, with strong strategic thinking and awareness of technology & business overall strategy
- Ability to work collaboratively with the business – including being creative and thinking flexibly
- Experience of user interface/journey prototyping and an understanding of strong awareness of modern tech concepts, plus coding experience
- Understanding & experience of Agile tools & techniques. Description Oversees execution of cross-functional development projects from initiation through release, utilizing SDLC methodologies and leveraging Agile/Scrum concepts and principles where appropriate.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
- Maintains dependency plan between planned sprints across engineering, infrastructure, and third parties
- Breaks down barriers and shields the team from impediments precluding engineers from making progress against sprints and deadlines
- Organizes and facilitates daily stand-ups and retrospectives at the end of each sprint, and creates an environment in which the team is continuously learning from the past
- Engages with Product Owner, Business Stakeholders, and delivery team to understand Business needs and identify appropriate solutions
- Performs hands-on reviews of product backlog, designs, code, test scripts, and results as needed in addressing delivery impediments or product quality issues
- Uses their technical acumen to provide design alternatives, ask probing questions, support team in technical issue resolution
- Tracks and communicates team velocity, financials, and other KPIs in relation to the plan and published progress reports
- Coordinates communications, escalates and facilitates resolution of risks, issues, and changes tied to the product development initiatives
- Applies judgment and discretion on when to raise issues versus work through issues with the team
- Facilitates discussions and looks beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Technical delivery experience with a demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility
- Strong coding experience; Ability to get into the code and drive to solutions
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages
- Experience facilitating Agile, Scrum, or other rapid application development teams to deliver technology solutions on time, on budget, and to spec
- Education and Certifications
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred
- PMI Certification preferred
- Scrum Master Certification preferred
Currently the American Express Technologies team is based in Brighton whilst our premises in Burgess Hill are refurbished. Technologies positions will be temporarily located from an American Express Brighton Office therefore all applicants will be required to commit to the commute to Burgess Hill where the Technologies position will be ultimately based for their application to be progressed.
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world’s a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We’re interested in where you came from, but we’re even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)116 2421776.