The Assistant Company Secretary role is based within HSBC Holdings plc and is listed on the London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Bermuda stock exchanges. By market capitalisation, it is one of the largest listed companies in the world. The Assistant Company Secretary role is based within HSBC Bank plc, which is wholly owned by HSBC Holdings plc and has a debt listing on the London stock exchange. It has an extensive branch network in the United Kingdom and operates through numerous subsidiaries around the world.
The European Regional Company Secretary’s Office (“SCY”) is a busy and dynamic part of the Secretarial function and the wider Group. Led by the European Regional Company Secretary, our objective is to provide a highly-professional range of services covering corporate governance and statutory compliance to stakeholders. SCY’s key responsibilities include providing corporate governance support and advice to the Boards of European Regional entities and supporting the corporate governance arrangements of the Group’s Global Business Lines (Commercial Banking, Global Banking & Markets and Retail Banking & Wealth Management).
- Providing professional business support and advice to:
- the Board of HSBC Bank plc and its various Committees (Executive Committee, Risk Committee, Audit Committee);
- the Boards of European Regional subsidiaries;
- the Executive and Risk Management Committees of the Group’s Global Business Lines; and
- Ensuring compliance with relevant statutory requirements and governance obligations, including significant responsibility for the Annual Report and Accounts of Group subsidiaries.
- To be a key member of a team headed by a Senior Assistant Secretary of HSBC Bank plc with responsibility for the Retail Banking and Wealth Management business. The role holder will be responsible for the corporate governance and statutory compliance requirements for a portfolio of UK Group companies. This will include ensuring that these companies comply with the requirements of the Corporate Governance Code for HSBC Group Companies.
- Under corporate governance, duties include arranging Board and Committee meetings; drafting agendas; the preparation and dispatch of Board and committee papers; acting as Secretary of a number of Board and Committee meetings and the drafting and circulation of minutes. Previous experience of minute taking would be beneficial. Typical company secretarial duties include maintaining statutory records and filing returns with the Registrar of Companies.
- In discharging their duties they must demonstrate an ability to take ownership of tasks and show good ownership of statutory/regulatory matters. They will also be expected to build and maintain strong working relationships with Directors and other key stakeholders.
- The candidate will be expected to participate in departmental projects and initiatives to develop and improve working practices in the light of changes in law and regulation
What will I get from the role ?
- Qualified member of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators / Associate member of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
- Proven experience of company secretarial practice
- Good understanding of corporate governance
- Experience of providing or overseeing business support for high level meetings (i.e. minute taking, agenda planning etc)
- Strong communication skills
- The professional gravitas and confidence to take decisions on behalf of, and negotiate with and influence, senior individuals to the highest levels within the Group;
- Proactive and able to demonstrate excellent planning and prioritisation skills to mitigate potential risks and take advantage of opportunities;
- Flexibility to respond calmly to changing needs and requirements
- An opportunity to work closely with senior decision making Boards and Committees within the organisation and gain an in-depth insight into the Group's strategy and decision making processes;
- An opportunity to help shape procedures, practices and policies in this area;
- An opportunity to tackle a challenging, interesting and varied portfolio of work;
- An opportunity to work with colleagues from across the division and across other parts of the Group
Adminstration & Secretarial
Europe-United Kingdom-Greater London-London
HSBC - 11 months ago
HSBC Holdings plc (commonly known as HSBC) is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London, United...