The successful candidate will be a senior and experienced process/instrumentation engineer capable of taking charge and managing an industrial-size combustion research facility and auxiliary systems. Operational experience in running or maintaining facilities of similar scope, and expertise in the mechanical and instrumentation specification and design of systems for high pressure thermal equipment is highly desirable, as is experience in the procurement and implementation of manufactured parts, instrumentation and control subsystems. The candidate will also be expected to offer a hands-on capability to complement the role of the senior technician associated with the facility.
The candidate will provide a high level of engineering management, support for the combustion facilities including safety related technical advice and contribution to the research effort. This includes defining equipment and process upgrade needs, interfacing with internal and external collaborators and monitoring new developments in technology that can contribute to the further advancement of the facilities.
Appointment will be for three years in the first instance and is subject to satisfactory performance of a nine-month probationary period.
The role will suit candidates with significant experience within a senior technical role in industry and a minimum of 3 years experience involving combustion and/or high pressure equipment and instrumentation. The candidate will be educated to degree level (1st or 2:1) and is likely to be a chartered engineer.
The role is a senior post and the role-holder will work closely with the Head of the Combustion Group and the Head of Division as well as Principal Investigators. The role-holder may also consult with the department’s Senior Design Engineer as appropriate.
The role-holder will be expected to maintain awareness of the state-of-the-art technologies and best practice in the provision, support and management of the Combustion facilities. This will involve on-line research and participation in relevant national and international forums and dialogue with peers and colleagues.
Competencies and Skills
to details of operation and safety requirements.
- The ability to operate, understand and manage complex facilities, with particular attention
components in detail, and to evaluate vendor design solutions.
- The ability to specify subsystems involving mechanical, electrical, electronic and optical
- The ability to specify equipment and subsystems for use with high pressure, high
systems, particularly with LabView and National Instruments interfaces.
- The ability to use and integrate measurement and actuation instrumentation within control
approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to assimilate new technology and apply it with an analytical and innovative
their impact on project time-scales, engineering skill requirements, cost, and component
- The ability to appreciate the implications of design / manufacturing decisions in respect of
- Experience of project planning and project management within an engineering / industrial
methods, and processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of modern manufacturing engineering,
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing at all levels both internally and
- Knowledge of relevant BS & ISO standards, safety standards, and legislation affecting the
manufacture, and use of pressure vessels & pipelines including: The Pressure Equipment
- Must be familiar with the requirements of current legislation applying to the design,
Regulations 1999, The Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000, PD 5500: 2006
Specification for Unfired Fusion Welded Pressure Vessels.
years experience involving management and operation of combustion and/or high
- 5 to 10 years experience within a senior technical role in industry with a minimum of 3
pressure equipment and instrumentation, particularly in a research setting.
Polytec is a global corporation with facilities in Asia, North America and Europe. With a reputation for innovative products, outstanding...