A Software Engineer vacancy has arisen with EADS Innovation Works, the global R&T arm of EADS. Based at Newport, the high calibre candidate will be working as part of a talented research team involved in the research, design, test and development of cutting edge technologies.
The successful Software Engineer will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of software components within research projects, including, but not limited to, information fusion. The role will require diligence and dedication, in order to assist in the production of a working computer system/systems in support of the aims of the project, refining solutions to encompass all customer requirements.
This position offers the chance to utilise the latest technical tools in a creative role; allowing the utilisation and development of current proficiencies, in addition to providing the opportunity to develop new skills, applying these where needed in a range of interesting and challenging projects across the research group.
As part of an established project team the candidate is expected to be comfortable working in project based environment and to have good interpersonal skills. This role will widen the capability of the team, as such the candidate will be required to interact and collaborate across the research group as required.
The key tasks of the role are:
- Conduct the development of software solutions to support the project architecture, performing testing and customisation as directed by the lead software engineer/project manager.
- Establish contact across the EADS Group in Europe with other software engineers working on similar projects; undertaking travel where needed in order to maintain contact.
- Liaising with team researchers across the EADS Group in order to identify appropriate developments and refine the corporate strategies (including both formal and informal presentation of material at meetings).
- Integrating research outcomes from EADS sponsored research into the processes as designed.
- To advise and recommend new technology to be adopted, ensuring research retains cutting edge applications and hardware compatibility.
- Represent the research group in the dissemination of research results through attendance at internal and external meetings and conferences.
- Work with other project lead specialists as identified, both from software and other technical roles.
- To maintain knowledge of technical developments within the Software Engineering field, liaising with academic partners where appropriate and applying new knowledge to the role.
- Complying with health and safety regulations within research team area.
The successful applicant will have the following skills and experience:
Candidates should have the equivalent experience of/or education to Ph.D level, or MSc level with at least 3 years of commercial experience
Desirable additional skills
- Ample experience in Java programming, including J2EE and EJB
- Demonstrable experience in leading software projects in general, and java projects in particular
- Web Services and SOA
- Java Application server experience (ideally Glassfish)
- Maven 2 and repository management
- Version control (ideally Subversion)
- Unit testing (JUnit)
- SQL Databases and its integration with Java projects
- Troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Exposure to new technologies, able to recommend applications of these technologies
- Systems architecture development and exposure
- Agile development experience (Scrum, Sprint)
- Continuous integration (ideally Cruise-Control)
- Experience with Artifactory
- Jung (Java Universal Network Graph Framework)
- Matlab (Specifically the JNI interface but broader experience would be useful)
- Experience of scaling small systems to large systems
EADS Recruitment Centre
Applications should be made via the EADS website.
NB: all engineering roles within the EADS group are advertised for a minimum of one month to ensure maximum visibility to potential candidates. However, if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
We are working towards providing equal opportunities and becoming a benchmark diversity employer. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to EADS using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by EADS.
EADS - 3 years ago
copy to clipboard