SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CONSULTANT
CIVIL NUCLEAR AND DEFENCE SECTORS
This is an excellent opportunity to join a specialist technical support organisation with an unparalleled heritage of working in partnership with the public and private sectors as a senior engineering consultant. You will be working in a regulated industry providing substantiation of high hazard plant and processes to support safe and efficient operation.
As a senior member of staff you will be expected to develop business opportunities and lead the delivery of plant substantiation to clients often on complex projects. You will also be required to supervise and mentor staff who are at an earlier stage in their career to ensure that their work is delivered to a high standard and that their personal development proceeds. You will be expected to support the development of the business through the identification, bidding, winning and delivery of projects to clients.
In joining this company, you will be part of a well motivated, multidisciplinary team with a broad age and experience profile. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our company.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work will be carried out for a variety of customers and the successful candidate will be expected to spend some time working alongside customers, including on clients' premises.
The role will include:
Skills and Attributes
- managing and/or contributing to engineering consultancy projects at a senior level
- leading the analysis of problems, discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and customers
- producing and leading others in the production of high quality technical reports on delivering your own work
- interfacing with customers up to senior levels throughout the lifecycle of projects including the presentation of results
- identifying and developing new business opportunities
- leading/assisting with the production of contract proposals and bids;
- maintaining the technical capability/knowledge of the team
- representing the business in technical meetings with clients, regulators and other third parties
- delivering projects that can be large and complex to time, cost and quality to ensure customer satisfaction
Knowledge and Experience
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal);
- an innovative, creative and pragmatic outlook to enable us to deliver effective solutions for our clients;
- the ability to learn quickly and to think laterally, with the perseverance to understand and identify shortcomings in complex technical arguments;
- the ability to distil and convey concise issues from technical data;
- strong delivery focus with problem solving ability;
- the ability to work well in multi-disciplinary teams;
- proven ability to manage technical staff as part of a defined project, encompassing planning; monitoring, financial and commercial aspects;
- adaptable and able to work on a variety of projects, prioritising as appropriate;
For successful candidates, security clearance will need to be acquired.
- a good first class degree or equivalent in a mechanical or similar engineering discipline ;
- corporate membership of a relevant professional institution;
- an understanding of engineering systems and processes (in particular HVAC, high integrity lifting systems and high pressure gas systems);
- experience of direct client interface, preferably in a consultancy environment;
- demonstrable experience in leading and developing solutions to complex problems preferably in the civil nuclear, defence or similar safety related industries;
- experience of identifying, winning and growing new business;
- a full, clean UK Drivers License;
- a willingness to spend time working on client sites.
The company's markets include the nuclear, defence, civil resilience and rail industries where they have a well-established track record both in the UK and overseas. They are a leading provider of independent safety, risk and environmental management, plant performance and integrity, systems engineering and engineering services.
JustRail.net - 11 months ago