In 2009 we were appointed as partner to Breckland District Council to provide its Town Planning and Building Control service. Our team, based in the Council’s offices in Dereham, provide the Council with the full range of planning policy, development management and building control services.
We also provide consultancy services to other councils and to the private sector, with access across the business to a full range of built environment consultancy support.
The key objectives of the post are to assist our planning policy team consultancy business and contributing to the delivery of the planning policy service we provide to Breckland Council As part of this, you will play a key part in delivering the Council’s growth agenda.
You will also play a key role in ensuring we deliver a service to other local authority clients that develops the opportunities and challenges offered by the Localism Act and the National Planning Policy Framework. You will be asked about this if you are invited to interview.
• To work as part of a team of planning professionals delivering consultancy commissions and the annual work programme of planning policy work for Breckland Council. The Council has recently committed to replacing its adopted suite of Local Development Documents with a new single Local Plan document which will form the new planning policy framework for the district to the year 2031.
•To work as part of the team involved in developing new locally identified housing targets and developing other relevant evidence base to support the Local Plan.
• To contribute to business development for planning policy commissions including opportunities in the private and public sectors. As part of the company appraisal process you will be also be required to deliver consultancy work;
•To provide support and advice to our development management team, on planning applications, enforcement and appeals where appropriate;
• Your work for our Breckland Council client will include:
o Providing timely, comprehensive and accurate reports and recommendations on planning policy issues;
o Supporting the Council’s growth agenda;
• To keep up to date with current legislation and policy changes, including CPD requirements;
(The above list is not meant to be an exhaustive range of tasks and responsibilities and is subject to the changing requirements of the business).
You will be expected to have:
• At least 2 years post qualification experience in planning policy work in either a private and public sector environment;
• An ability to make unaccompanied site visits;
• A degree or post graduate qualification in Town and Country Planning recognised by the RTPI;
• Eligibility for Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute;
• knowledge of current planning legislation and land use planning in the Localism era as relevant to planning policy;
• Good verbal and written communication skills to include an ability to make concise focused oral presentations to a wide range of audiences;
• The ability to consider a wide range of complex issues and balance those issues to make a clear and reasoned judgement;
• Good analytical skills to be able to challenge evidence submitted in connection with land use planning matters;
• Good time management skills;
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint etc), and in data analysis software/programmes;
• The ability to prioritise and manage a large workload, and to work flexibly to meet the commercial and contractual requirements of the business
• Working knowledge of GIS Systems (ESRI ArcGIS package)
• The ability to use your own initiative to solve challenges;
• The ability to work with a wide range of people and to work as a member of a team;
• Enthusiastic and self-motivated.
• Ability to work on own initiative and under direction.
Ideally you will have:
• Full chartered Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute;
• Experience of presentation of evidence at Public Inquiry or Examinations in Public (EiP);
• Working knowledge of the role, functions and responsibilities of Local Authorities and external organisations;
• Ability to make public presentations; and
• Experience of Planning Policy consultation/ publication software (Limehouse, JDI etc).
Capita Plc - 21 months ago