This role provides a stepping stone between the Assistant Merchandiser and Merchandiser roles. On the whole, this role performs the same tasks as the Merchandiser, however, is usually responsible for a department within a division reporting into an experienced Merchandiser, or responsible for a small division, reporting to a Senior Merchandiser or Merchandising Manager. Is responsible for creating and producing the financial plans for the designated product category that support the Divisional strategy. Develops and drives financial, range and inventory planning to maximise business and profit potential and mitigate risks. Participates in the seasonal planning, in-season stock management and open to buy process. Works closely with the In-Country Buying teams to ensure a balanced range is produced across the designated product categories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
IMPACT & SCOPE:
- Develops accurate financial, sales, inventory and line plans for the department, recommending action to the merchandiser, ensuring alignment with overall sub brand product and marketing strategy
- Partners with Merchandiser, Merchandising Manager/Director and In-Country Buying team to develop and communicate a comprehensive pre-season Merchandising strategy that identifies opportunities and risks for the department
- In partnership with the In-Country Buyer, develops and implements balanced assortment plans that fit the available space and delivers against sales and profit targets. Manage the bottom up/top down reconciliation of departmental plans. Present and gain approval during the investment review process.
- Identifies and understands customer behaviour trends, the competition and brand specific fashion trends for business partners.
- In partnership with In-Country Buying team deliver a balanced price architecture to ensure competitive price positioning.
- Analyses actual financial performance versus plan and recommend tactical action as required
- Manages stock profitably optimising stock levels and phasing intake to the agreed plan
- Manages the financial success of the department by meeting sales, comp, gross margin and gross margin return on investment and inventory turn goals. Takes the necessary steps to optimise sales and margin
- Leads the Open to Buy Process for the department/categories and present accurate Monthly Forecasts to Merchandiser, Merchandising Manager/Director
- Ensures promotional and clearance activity is phased in line with the defined markdown strategy to achieve profit potential and terminal stock objective
- Identifies and recommends opportunities to improve sales performance
- Recap and analyse actual sales results to plan and forecast in-season sales and inventories on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Reforecast sales and manage inventory for all basic styles as required to support department financial goals
- Partners with Distribution, providing information on range plan line details, deliveries, promotional and markdown activities to ensure optimum placement of stock in stores and maximize on shelf availability
- Communicate financial results, forecasts and action plans to Merchandising Director or Merchandising Manager and cross-functional team on a weekly basis
- Manage flow of goods into business from suppliers to stores
- Develop pre-season assortment plans and order quantities to required deadlines
This role is responsible for driving the profit of the designated product category, will deliver against revenue, inventory turns, growth & earnings and GMROI that meets or exceeds financial targets.
This role will be accountable for working with the Senior Merchandiser or Merchandiser and In-Country Buying Team to translate the overall Divisional strategy for the designated product categories – taking into account brand aesthetic, design, product innovation, competitive analysis, customer insights, historical analysis, operational excellence and financial goals. Taking overall direction from the Senior Merchandiser or Merchandiser, liaising with key business partners in Distribution, In-Country Buying, Merchandising, Visual Merchandising, as appropriate.
PROBLEM SOLVING, ANALYSIS & DECISION MAKING:
Must be action orientated. Can analyse, interpret and respond to customer, merchandise, trend and financial information to drive profitable performance. Can identify potential issues and make recommendations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Have comprehensive functional knowledge of the merchandising process
- Understands and has experience with In-Country Buying, merchandising/planning and leverages this to optimise product and margin
- Strong business analysis and strategic/innovative thinking skills
- Developing competent interpersonal and presentation skills in key milestone meetings
- Able to provide accurate, concise and relevant information for target audience with guidance
Requires merchandising/planning experience & strong merchandising/planning knowledge in relevant sector
Degree level education desirable
Location: London, however, maybe required to travel within the UK and internationally
GAP Inc - 2 years ago
The ubiquitous clothing retailer Gap has been filling closets with jeans and khakis, T-shirts, and poplin since the Woodstock era. The firm,...