Principal Engineering Manager, Civils
Yorkshire & the Humber
What is the purpose of this role?
To manage and develop rail civil engineering design teams within the relevant business area, supporting contracts and projects across Amey, and to achieve targets and project objectives in respect of growth and staff utilisation.
What does this role involve?
What are we looking for?
- Lead the design team, oversee the technical output and develop team competence, experience and knowledge
- Manage the resource planning of the design team to ensure projects are delivered to programme, budget and specification
- Responsible for Programme and Budget Preparation and thereafter, accountable for Design Delivery of schemes to programme and monthly budget.
- Ensure all studies, investigation, design, procurement, audits and work contract supervision are carried out in accordance with relevant requirements.
- Prioritise and control all design activities across the relevant business area.
- Ensure compliance with statutory, contractual, legal and special requirements.
- Responsible for Design Procurement and Design Check Certification.
- Provide professional and technical advice throughout the areas in which operating.
- Promote professional development for the business area.
- Ensure all necessary bids, orders and programmes are submitted.
- Set and maintain high standards and ensure Clients are satisfied with performance.
- Develop, maintain and own client relationships in order to promote long-term partnerships.
- Embrace and control compliance with Company procedures, policies and delivery plans, as well as the Consulting Compliance and Improvement Plan.
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental issues are given the highest priority.
- Develop and drive forward innovation and new business initiatives.
- Support the Associate Director and other Amey senior managers to promote the wider Amey business and help develop and deliver an increase in Turnover and Margin.
- Ensure necessary scheme consultation, liaison, co-ordination and interface with stakeholders are carried out.
- Be an ambassador of the Amey Values.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Inter-Urban, Local Government, Built Environment and Consulting to develop and deliver the business plans.
- Carry out the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer. Experience in or potential to act as CEM advantageous.
Who are we?
- Chartered Engineer
- Thorough experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management.
- Experience of statutory processes
- Minimum of 10 years post-qualification experience in civil engineering, preferable in the railway environment.
- Ability to review and check the work of others, including calculations, drawings, reports, proposals, etc
- Have the ability to technically manage and lead a team in the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects
- Experience as a Contractor’s Responsible Engineer, or ability to perform the role without further training
- Personal Track Safety competence required
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants
- Be computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office suite and experienced in the use of structural analysis software (Super STRESS, LUSAS and Archie) and have experience in the use of Project Management software (Primavera or MS Project).
- Through knowledge / experience of Network Rail Company standards for civil engineering and engineering management, and of relevant civil engineering British Standards and Eurocodes
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD for production of both GA's and schematics in conjunction with CAD team
- Thorough knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations; high personal standards
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Good experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ.
We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension plan. You will also receive a generous holiday entitlement and be entitled to life cover of up to 8 times your salary. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
Amey plc - 2 years ago
UK-based Amey plc was founded in 1921 by William Amey as an Oxfordshire-based quarry operator. Today it is an infrastructure support service...